STV Employee Reviews

Not a good place to work
Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 14, 2019
There is no work in the Denver office. They appear to be trying to hire people that will bring the clients with them but lack quality people to produce the work. 3 people have moved on in the last month. Less than half of the cubicles are occupied. The hanger-ons from the former company GWD are very noninclusive. If you are nonbillable (most are) you are encouraged to contact clients you have previously worked with to bring in work. They promised training and mentoring, didn’t provide it and told me to learn on my own time. “Put some skin in the game” was the way they put it.
Pros
Golden handcuffs, you can watch TV while you work. Totally acceptable
Cons
No work, people do less than quality work, very few clients
Great Working Place
Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Trenton, NJJanuary 12, 2019
I've had nothing but positive experiences at STV. The one thing I wish I could experiences is working on a HUGE eloborate project. I think STV focuses more on "safe" projects.
They want to be big boys, but are not
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 1, 2019
Body shop, if you are not job chargeable, you are gone before you can clean out your desk. On the other hand, because they are so loose, there are no procedures or policies about how you do your work and you can execute as you see fit.
Pros
Severance pay
Cons
Management that has no idea who you are.
Efficiency at work.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 8, 2018
Efficiency at work.

Review work load, prepare responses, review drawings, specifications, contract, schedules.
Try to solve disputes.
Pay on time.
Look at the schedule, see where the project is why? on target or falling behind?
Productive and flexibility of working hours
Engineering Specialist (Consulting Engineer) (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 19, 2018
All project managers that i had to work with were the best and did not have any issue. All STV engineers are usually hired through main engineering director who never failed in hiring. Every coworkers are trust worth it.
Engineering Specialist
Engineering Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 23, 2018
Learned how to design complex structures for the railroad. Has good job security since they work so closely with railroad companies. Work life balance is great.
Great work-life balance, but not company-wide
Proposal/Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Woodlawn, MDJuly 23, 2018
I love working for my group. My work schedule is super flexible and my supervisor is so understanding. As long as my job is done well and responsibilities are fulfilled, I am granted an ample amount of freedom.

I recognize however that this is not the standard company-wide and that there are some departments and leaders that are much more stringent. This may be why many valuable people are pushed out. Not every manager practices empathy and values work-life balance. Overall, I enjoy my job.
Structured Workplace
Architect Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2018
Very structured workalike, but this is required in a company with so many departments and handling mega projects in construction and architecture. Good mentorship provided for new recruits.
Pros
Free lunches and training
Top Down Management
Full Time Employee (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 16, 2018
Depending on which office you work in there is zero room for advancement/growth. It appears that management prefers to hire from outside rather than promote from within. Zero loyalty to good workers.
Bad top management
Senior Supervising Engineer (Former Employee) –  Orange County, CAApril 19, 2018
The main problem with the company, especially in the West, is that top management does not really about the employees but to make money at any cost, or try to make some money on contracts that were taken at low remuneration in order to win them, since many times they cannot win jobs based on expertise and competence.
Pros
Friendly colleagues, nice office
Cons
Upper management policies to recoup poorly signed contracts from a financial point of view, almost no advancement at all.
Demonstrated an ability to communicate with integrity to build trust and support others. Exhibits self-awareness to adapt behavior in order to conne
Administrative Assistant/Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 9, 2018
Very Challenging and fast paced.
Learnt to take responsibility to gain results.
Constantly demonstrated leadership to meet proposal deadlines
Hardest part of this position was not gaining cooperation
Most enjoyable part of this job - met the deadline of a proposal and won the contract.
Work Environment
Electrical/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 3, 2018
Very good and Professional Library to support Projects investigation as well as good and ready to help Professional in all areas.
You can develop any field in your career, from Design to Construction Management the choice is yours to position yourself inside the Company.
Pros
Professional Development
Intern Experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYMarch 16, 2018
STV was a great company to see what it was like to work in the field of architecture. Being an intern at STV was something that I needed at that time in my life. I got to work here through a different program that matched me with skills that I had obtained during my high school years.
Superb work culture, Excellent Team
Architectural Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 16, 2018
Good job for people who like to maintain a good work life balance.
Great place to work. There are a tremendous amount of good, kind-hearted people at STV. I have excellent coworkers and the company provides a rich medical insurance plan.
Excellent staff - Organized, responsible, productive.
Area Engineer (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 20, 2018
1st rate company. Fully enjoyed my tenure. I have worked for many consulting firms and STV is the best, by far. They great care to create a working environment that seeks to ensure that the employees are eager and willing to put their best effort toward continuing the success of the company.
Pros
Excellent benefits, friendly personnel, cooperative atmosphere
Cons
Can't think of any
Very good work place
Instrumental Control Designer (Former Employee) –  Douglassville, PAJanuary 31, 2018
A very good company to work at. People where very friendly and the office atmosphere is a very positive work place. Compensation was adequate and reasonable.
Productive, detail oriented, educational
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  225 Park Avenue SouthJanuary 24, 2018
Engineering firm with 35+/- offices in the US. Shared projects across offices. Transportation, Infrastructure, Architecture, Buildings, Facilities Construction and other divisions.
Pros
Various projects to work on, Wonderful Support Staff, Continuing Education Resources
Cons
hills (overflow of work), valleys ( lull in available work) for engineering staff primarily
OK place to work
Building Envelope Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 5, 2017
I and two others were hired at STV as a part-time Building Envelope Consultants to form, along with two full-time Architects, the Building Envelope Department in the Boston office by a newly-hired VP.

Unfortunately, the type of clients we were allowed to pursue was restricted by company policy so we couldn't go after private work. The result of that was the department mostly dissolving when most of us, including the Architects and VP, were laid off.

In general, it's a big company and acts like it, for both better and worse. You do wonder sometimes about who rose to top positions and why, but you get that in big companies.

My job was only part-time and on a different floor than the main local office, so my observations are somewhat limited.
Pros
Some big, interesting projects
Cons
Part-time work
all is helpfull
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  any where countryDecember 4, 2017
I will best level to delivered consultation. I truth ful hard working success in the jobs.and communities is very realted with a jobs. so could down and helpful for working.
Pros
free tention. refresh mind
Cons
other works
workplace
ARCH. Designer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 22, 2017
It was a company that got transport and maintenance projects, both trains, buse, metro lines. I had national and international projects. I had all the disciplines within the company and there were many people prepared in their areas of work. It had offices in different states of the union.
After the ruble of low transportation, they postulated to several education projects, like high schools to remodel, of those that work in 3
Pros
Good project
Cons
When runs out of projects

Ask a question about working or interviewing at STV. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

1.2InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

1.0Career Opportunities

1.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight