Substitute Teacher Service Employee Reviews

Sts
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMay 11, 2018
Excellent place to wet your feet for the education field. Can understand the different environments where one would like to work at. No benefits/time off/health insurance however. Not enough to make a living on.
Pros
stress-free
Cons
no benefits/health insurance
Excellent Comapny!
Guest Teacher (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 11, 2018
I have learned so much with this company. They offer training and resources that are valuable! The staff are always available to answer any questions. Registering with them is so efficient. I wish all organizations operated like this. It’s great to find work that makes me feel good each and every day!
Pros
Regular work
Cons
No weekend work
multiple work environments
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaFebruary 10, 2018
Depending on the school the environment was very different. The school where I frequently subbed moved you around so even though you signed up for one job you never knew were you were going to be at. It was frustrating, and at times, the school took away the planning period and one time my lunch was taken away and I was only allowed a 15 minute lunch break because I asked for one.
Pros
Choose own hours
Cons
No paid time off, sick days
Not so bad
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PADecember 12, 2017
IF you are someone who is looking for something that is completely flexible. Maybe if you're a student and want to make your own schedule. If you have a small child and don't have set childcare days then this is the job for you. You choose the places and days where you want to work. You also have the ability to work a half day in the morning or in the afternoon. You do not have anyone breathing down your throat and telling you what to do in every given moment. You can cancel the assignment at any given moment without having to talk to any person. Everything for this job is done online or through an app. Working in Lancaster county you can make anywhere from 100-120/ day
Pros
Flexibility, choose your schedule
Cons
No health care, No choice of work for the holidays
Great customer calling center
Phone Dispatcher/receptionist (Former Employee) –  Media, PAOctober 20, 2017
From the owner on down, very friendly staff. They have your back no matter what. Up to date data entering and retrieving systems. The job includes contacting substitute teacher's to fill empty positions at schools, across Pennsylvania's school districts.
Pros
Great working atmosphere. Nice staff, benifits. Paid vacations.
Cons
Very fast paced for 4 hours IN THE EARLY AM.
Excellent Work Enviorment
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 19, 2017
The environment was conducive to creativity and flexibility. Also, provided a structured arena that fostered learning and exchange of information. Also, worked worked well within my schedule.
Great as a Temporary Position
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAAugust 1, 2017
STS is great as a temporary position but it is difficult to maintain long-term due to the lack of consistent co-workers and the constant change from day-to-day location/work. The major draw is the flexibility though!! I love that I can choose when I work. However, I highly dislike the inconsistency of policies between districts, administration, and lack of co-worker relationships.
Professional Service
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Media, PAAugust 10, 2015
They kept me busy with lots of hours. Indicated work details precisely. Demonstrated good office practice. I was really surprise when Kelly's took over their accounts.
Pros
Always available
Cons
They worked with Red Clay District only.
Good Entry Level Posistion
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Current Employee) –  Media, PAJune 25, 2015
A great opportunity to get your foot in the door in the education field. You are able to make your own schedule(hours/days). More school districts have been added to the company so you're not as limited to school substitute job options.
Pros
Setting your own schedule, working in different work enivorments daily, helpful co workers
Cons
Healthcare
Fast paced, rewarding environment
Personal Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Media, PAOctober 10, 2014
Great access to management with reasonable flexibility. Fast paced environment with little time to think, but thanks to great training, you are prepared for most situations as they happen.
Great company
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Aston, PAJune 25, 2014
I enjoy learning about various school districts as well as assist teachers and students while I substitute teach.
If you want to sub, STS is the best route to getting regular work.
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER K-12 (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 13, 2014
Being a substitute teacher is one of the most difficult jobs. It is a wonderful way to gain experience in a wide variety of educational settings, but most days are in new environments and classrooms and students tend to show their worst behavior in the flux of change to their regular routine. That being said, substitute teaching is an excellent way to refine classroom management skills. Some schools embrace and welcome substitute teachers better than others. Educational culture and learning environments are vastly different between districts and individual schools. I am, without a doubt, a better teacher today than I was when I received my teaching certification. Each and every day, school, staff member, classroom, and student has taught me through experience and helped me become a highly effective teacher.
Pros
flexibility in taking days off
Cons
pay, automated scheduling system, no benefits
Great connection to school districts
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Media, PAApril 27, 2014
While they do not give you specific jobs they connect you with the resources to find sub jobs on a regular basis.
Fun Workplace
Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aston, PAMarch 14, 2014
I worked with many age groups and students with very diverse needs. It was interesting to learn different aspects of the teaching field and this job did help me to gain experience that I need for my future career in teaching!
Pros
Experience
Cons
Work Schedule
Great place
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Lancaster, PANovember 11, 2013
Easy to get day-to-day subbing jobs. Good system. Would like to see them expand to Cumberland county, if possible.
Nice company to work for.
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Media, PAOctober 27, 2013
I like the recruiting process, easy and direct. Also easy to use system to receive assignments.
Pros
Instructions easy to follow
Cons
Sometimes the support was minimum.
New experiences every day
Small Business Owner (Former Employee) –  Collegeville, PAJune 23, 2013
Important to wear multiple hats. Each day is different with different needs, rules, and classes.
Pros
Sharpened skills in flexibility
Cons
Lack of structure on a daily basis
Good place to get your feet wet
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAMarch 26, 2013
When I first started at STS, I enjoyed working there because I was able to work very steadily. Since they have gone to an automated system, I have not had steady work for the last 2 years. Besides that I have enjoyed working for STS I am just looking for more steady work. I learned how to become a flexible person and understand that not everything goes according to plan.
dependable; daily assignments
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAFebruary 9, 2013
consistent work for those who wish to continue in the field or get their feet wet in the field; substitutes are regarded as very valuable in the schools in which they sub
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Media, PAFebruary 7, 2013
Teach students in all subjects.
Co-workers are great when assistance is needed.
The hardest part of the job is being able to jump right in and start teaching when you don't know anything about the students.
The best part of the job is when you see the students a smiling at the end of the day and them telling you that yo are a great teacher.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Substitute Teacher Service. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2