Suburban Propane Employee Reviews

Not an exciting business but demand for product/services stable
VP Controller/CAO (Former Employee) –  Whippany, NJOctober 1, 2018
Company offers a stable and comfortable work environment.
Business continues to grow and new opportunities are always being evaluated.
Good balance of work/home life.
Pros
Solid company with long history. Products and services will always be needed in the near future
Cons
Revenues/earnings significantly dependent on weather conditions
One of the biggest and best propane companies
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Goshen, OHSeptember 28, 2018
I started out in the propane industry with this company and have worked for other propane companies since but Suburban Propane is a good family oriented work place. I worked here for 6 years and only left to advance my career and earn more pay while doing so. If not for that I would have stayed there until I retired.
Pros
Great benefits and co-workers
Cons
Limited chance of advancement without college degrees.
Career
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTSeptember 28, 2018
Suburban has offered me many advancement opportunities since I have been employed with them. I was given a chance to learn and grow as a person and a manager.
Pros
Benefits, Career opportunity
Great Opportunity and work environment
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 18, 2018
Great company to work for. Company has a manager in training program that is very beneficial to the future of the company and future opportunity. Great life and work balance.
Corporate world
Customer Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, VTSeptember 17, 2018
Manager is the only one that personalizes this work place. Things change a little every day.

Constantly critiqued when on the phones to make it exactly there way.
Pros
Flexibility in schedule
Cons
No advancement availability
Its not bad
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lake Stevens, WASeptember 12, 2018
This is not an easy job but it is not a bad job. I enjoy working with the group I have and it feels very small even though it is a very big organization.
Exellent place to work but not a great opportunity for career advancement.
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OHSeptember 12, 2018
Great work environment. Very friendly and helpful co-workers. Management was fair and very instructive. Enjoyed dealing with customers to help them receive the best possible service.
Customer Service & Sales
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 12, 2018
Answer phone calls, do floor Sales, input data, help with deposit, take care of walk in Customers, keep Appliance inventory straight, collect payments at front desk.
Pros
Stable Company
Cons
cliques & drama
Solid Company with a 90 year track record of success
Area HR/Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Whippany, NJAugust 30, 2018
Great company to work for---family environment, challenging industry but company provide employees with tools necessary to be successful. Senior management is creative, intelligent and aggressive in the marketplace.
Pros
Famiy environment
Cons
Compensation
Lovely environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 26, 2018
I enjoyed my short term experience with Suburban Propane. There you'll find a relaxed atmosphere with lots of people around will to assist you. The training program is highly efficient.
Pros
community store
Cons
n/a
Management played favorites
Customer Service Representative/ Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Temple, PA 19560August 23, 2018
Management played favorites especially with technicians because they are a scarce breed.

They record telephone calls and even when a customer is unwilling to accommodate they only follow their guidelines even if customer is uncooperative
Pros
great benefits
Cons
cut throat
Bad manager run away
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Portola, CAAugust 13, 2018
The management makes the fact the they are failing the employees fault. In order to make himself look better to his boss he will make you look bad to keep his job. Over charges customers in one area to compensate for loses in another. This helps make budget. Talk about taken it out on the customer and the employee, easy way out when your a failure.
Pros
That I no longer work here.
Cons
That I spent time here
Overall a good company to work for
SERVICE TECHNICIAN / DELIVERY DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, NYAugust 7, 2018
Most of the time it was working on your own without much pressure and the volume of work was manageable as long as you put the effort in it. Good solid equipment made you feel safe while on the roads.
Good place to work. Hard working job but excellent pay to compensate. Good workers workers to work with.
Bulk Driver (Former Employee) –  United StatesAugust 2, 2018
Good job to work. I was working as a seasonal worker. Wanted to stay yearly following time but there were no openings after seasonal work was completed. Good manager with open door policy.
Pros
During winter time basically all overtume you wanted to work
Worst Job ever
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Coventry, RIJuly 27, 2018
Too many hours. Worked until fatigued. Mandatory overtime beyond DOT max. High employee turnover. Good training. Good co-workers.
Work a 12 hour day, put on call, take call, come home early in the morning, expected to come in with only 2 hours of sleep...simply unsafe and unsustainable.
customer service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Middletown, PAJuly 19, 2018
Most of the Employees were from Temp agencies and the proper training was provided but we were thrown on the phones only after Shadowing other reps for 2-3 hours.
Accounts Payable Representative (Current Employee) –  Whippany, NJJuly 17, 2018
A typical day of work @ Suburban is nothing short of ordinary. The work load is never ending and always heavy which keeps me busy and on my toes. I provide service to our entire customer base in office and field. The workplace environment is nothing short of amazing. We are all a team and will work together by any means necessary to get the job done. The hardest part of the job would be the customer's and listening to some of their heartbreaking stories of how they come to part ways with Suburban. The most enjoyable part is my team in which I consider family as most of us have an outside relationship as well a work relationship.
Pros
Employee appreciation, Benefits, Christmas parties and Acknowledgement for tenure
very friendly atmoshere and i would recommend it to my fellow employees
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 12, 2018
good place to work no problems excellent staff very helpful thank you for being helpful wish is could have stayed but had to go yes I recommend this place to work
Pros
time oo
Sad,Mid-level Management has little to no field experience.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  mdJuly 8, 2018
#1 It really depends on what district you work at what you're up against. From a Technical Standpoint, Mid-level Management has little to no Propane field experience. (Not like the old days!) This has had a negative cumulative effect over the last 5 years slowly eroding their business and because of this poor decisions are made constantly. They pay their investors well but this Facade can't last much longer. If they would pay and promote based on field experience (A once understood absolute necessity in the propane industry) the company could reverse the downward spiral it’s on.
Service and Delivery talent is leaving at a steady pace primarily because of anemic pay and senseless management
Pros
Despite the negatives a very friendly environment to work in and good employee comradery
No hour from march thru oct.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 7, 2018
Worst place to ever work. No hour in the months of march through oct. Management show favoritism. And sorry workes. I never seen grown men call each other on 3 way and talk all day. Once they hang up they talk about each other. Nashville branch and clarksville
Pros
4 days a week
Cons
Pay sucks plenty favortism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suburban Propane. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight