Suburban Propane Employee Reviews

Not a bad place to be a manager
CSC Manager (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVJune 8, 2018
For a major propane company Suburban was not too bad to work for. The challenge can sometimes be with the upper management and their management style. A typical day started at 7 and ended between 5 and 7. During that day I would bounce between the office, outside sales and service work. The hardest part of the job is meeting the budget requirements and growing the customer base. The most enjoyable part was working with the public and getting to know people.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Long days and upper management
A typical day at work
Credit and Collections Representative (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 23, 2018
I am on the phone most of my day by calling Customers to collect money to enable aging accounts to be 30 days or less which includes making payment arrangements, setting up budgets, disconnecting tanks, if needed, and sending out to other collection agencies.
Pros
Team environment
Cons
salary
Productive company to work for
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Hartsville, SCMay 14, 2018
My position was a seasonal position. I enjoyed my position at suburban propane. I worked from 8-5 or sometimes 9-6 and if I needed extra hours the manager would make sure I picked up extra hours and very flexible.
Pros
Hours
Good stepping stone
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Whippany, NJMay 10, 2018
Got the past 7 months, working with Suburban Propane were great. Learned a lot with troubleshooting end users and get more knowledge on how everything is connected within the network.
Possibly the worse company I've ever worked for
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Nashville, INMay 6, 2018
I'm not sure Indeed has enough spaced for me to explain the horrors of this company, but here goes. First off, no one made me work here, I chose it, I accepted the pay, benefits, etc, but they're terrible, my hope is to keep someone else from making my mistake. I'm only going to highlight my issues
1. You have 25 stops today & 180 miles to cover, what you only got 23 done, you worked till 10pm at night, those 2 you skipped were not projected to run out for 2 months, but your going to get screamed at for it. Did I mention the first stop is hour and a half drive one way on ice covered snowy roads, but be safe, slow down
2. We scheduled you for 6 jobs today, sure 1 job is 2hrs away, the others additional hour drives from each other, each job is 4hrs each, but you better get them all done in 8hrs
3. Safety safety safety, slow down, don't rush, be aware....now we are going to yell at you for not going fast enough
4. In my short time there 8 guys in my area were fired or quit
5. Raises.....hahahahahaha, I was told the only raises are the possible bonus from selling enough gas, if we sell enough gas! Never saw a bonus
6. You are a number, plain & simple. If you died today, your job would be posted before your obituary. The management doesn't care one bit about you, it's all for show, be safe, but you better run like a dog.
7. If you like trenching 200ft up hill thru mud with a 100yr old machine you will love it, don't dare ask if they could possibly buy a more up to date or modern piece of machinery, all while your being told about the $400 office chairs that were bought for
  more... the operation manager & main manager, I mean $800 for chairs is acceptable, now you go out there, drag that piece of junk & break your back & do it really fast
8. If you have a CDL, keep looking, there are jobs out there that pay better, better treatment, better conditions, better everything.
Pros
time off
Cons
pay, management, working conditions
Loved my job
Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Timmonsville, SCMay 3, 2018
The company is very customer service oriented and therefor sends you to training and seminars regularly for customer service. I loved that. I was a level 3 CRS which means the angry customer had to go through 2 other people before they got to me. In my time there, I was able to retain each and every customer that came across my desk.
Pros
Home office support
Cons
Not Full Time
Multitasking
Customer Relations Specialist/Accounts Receivable (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 30, 2018
This company--if you have good management it's a good company to work for. I have experienced since my time working here both good/bad managers. They also set the budget/goals so high there's almost no way to meet them to get a raise/bonus. The work load is heavy, expecting you to do 3/4 peoples work with no help. Some of the best drivers/techs I've ever worked with. Seemed like the drivers/techs worked for one company & the office staff worked for another company.
Cons
no raise/bonuses
Coworkers are amazing.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Hartsville, SCApril 27, 2018
Phone volume is different on a day to day basis. Management is pretty laid back. The customers can be a bit rude at times, but you learn to access the situation.
My supervisor was the best guy I ever worked for!
Gas Tech/ Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEApril 24, 2018
Love working for this company! A typical day at work starts at 6 a.m and ends when your finished your route or when the weather dictates. If you like to work like I do you get all the hours you want. Winter you can avg. 65 to 75 hours a week. During cold snaps 80 hours plus. You rotate in and out of on call schedule and you also do after hours calls in winter. Management is good, my relationship with my ops manager was awesome! The CSC manger is typical pro company and didn't value you or your loyalty or commitment to the organization one bit. The company as a whole deems you as just a number. Your expendable at the least little bit of property damage. i.e. running into a mail box, fence, trellis, or what have you. Very high stress, demanding, they only care about the gallons you deliver and that's it! That's where the company makes their $$. They have you drive 150-200 miles a day and will give you 30-40 stops and have you driving down goat paths in the winter, working 70-80 hours a week and want you to deliver but God forbid if you do something with the truck or do damage to something, they have no leniency whatsoever. And it doesn't matter that they can't get anyone to do the job or want to work in the industry. They can't hire anyone to work those types of hours or put up with the on call and call out. They'd rather fire the loyal guy who puts in 120% and works 80 hrs a week and hire some new guy who's not going to last and spend a year training him and $thousands to replace you!
Pros
All the hours you want, overtime, good bennies
Cons
Lower then avg. pay for the job, High stress, High expectations and demanding, Horrible driving conditions in winter
Suburban training dept out of Syracuse,NY is awsome,safety managers are a joke,location managers have their head up their #ss
Service/ drlivery (Former Employee) –  Brentwood,nhApril 20, 2018
Worse place ever .management is the worst I've ever dealt with. Too much lying,talk behind your back and favouritism. Don't go out for a few beers with manager after work and you will be blacklisted.
Many broken promises.they price gouge customers and wonder why they lose them at a rapid rate.
Unfair practices when it comes to gas and oil pricing,IE; bait & switch tactics.
Very un-ethical management / work environment.
Pros
Decent team attitude with techs and drivers, not management
Cons
Management should be fired
Customer focused, call center environment. Must have very strong multi tasking skills and a sense of humor.
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Uncasville, CTApril 19, 2018
A typical day requires the ability to juggle multiple priorities with tact and patience. Managing a staff of ten in two different locations is challenging at times. Fortunately the staff is committed and has a great sense of humor.
Pros
Discount on propane
Cons
Do not receive a "merit" increase unless controlable profit is met, regardless of performance.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Los Lunas, NMApril 18, 2018
You could go far! Especially if you put all you had in to succeeding in the company, the work was quick paced but easy to get into the flow of it, the office was a easy place t come to work and the girls were always there to help and improve your day and the quality of work
Excellent Company
Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  New JerseyApril 17, 2018
Great work environment. Team oriented. Management very in tuned to employees family life. Really like the people who work here. Management does not show favoritism and there is good upward mobility.
No Raises, no bonuses, and managers are very disrespectful
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  New YorkApril 9, 2018
Would be a great company if Upper Management cared about employees as much as they cared about gallons. Love my coworkers, just not a very good company to there employees. Never even received a email saying Merry Christmas....only company I have ever worked for that does absolutely nothing for employees during holidays, not even a Merry Christmas email
Pros
The other Employees
Cons
Maybe the worst place I've ever worked
Payment Processing Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 2, 2018
Typical work day included processing payments, reconciling payments. I learned to process payments and that this was the only function of the job that I would be thought. Management was prejudiced and determined not to allow us to learn all the position tasks although we all had the same title. Workplace management limited those that were not her favorites. The hardest part of the job was seeing new employees come and not being able to warn them. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendships formed during my tenure.
Pros
The priceless friendships
Cons
Everything else mostly the boss
My Job
Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Boone NCApril 2, 2018
I started out a service tech. and grew to become the senior service tech. I was offered a management job and to help someone start up a new company was the only reason I left. I did train while there to be the service manager
Pros
good people
Cons
on call
Leader in Ohio propane delivery
Admin (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 28, 2018
Drivers and office staff were good people, take care of their customers and overall have a great product. Stressful job in the winter but overall good place to work
Relaxed place to work
Customer Service Representative (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 27, 2018
My duties were very limited here with Suburban Propane but learned a lot of the process of oil and selling it to customers on a seasonal basis. Great place to work on a part-time schedule and quick easy money for the holidays if it's available.
Pros
Easy money
Cons
Part-time
Suburban propane review summary
Oracle Systems Analyst/Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Whippany, NJMarch 22, 2018
Excellent company to work with.
Good salary and great benefits including 401k.
Team management are great and managers are easy to work with.
Career advancement are available. Technologies are updated like new version or releases. There are lots to learn and new technologies and innovations are available within reach.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Fun activities, etc..
Cons
Distance
Busy
CUSTOMER SPECIALIST REP (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 20, 2018
Check for called that came in when the office was closed, open mail, answer phones, call customer back, process work orders, help walk in customers from the dock, help drivers when they call in, set up new customers, process the new customers, place delivery orders and work orders, assist fellow workers, balance cash at closing, run reports, credit checks. Just to name a few things.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suburban Propane. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight