Suburban Propane Employee Reviews

Always under the thumb of another location to do more.
Delivery driver/Sales/Regional Driver Trainer (Former Employee) –  Milford, NHDecember 1, 2018
Always given more work than you can complete. Often told you have to pick up other employees loose ends when they are sitting in the office doing nothing. Managers all operate on a different agenda. Very back stabbing cut throat environment. This company is all about making huge profits. And takes advantage of employees who actually care about customer service.
Pros
You can ignore the office bs by not answering your phone.
Cons
Too many to list.
Typical Propane place
Assistant Manager Operations (Former Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaNovember 29, 2018
the propane industry
Flat out, mandatory overtime in the winter
mellow and laid back in warmer months, a time to catch up
This company treated its employees pretty well, but upper management was out of touch with the pulse of the area's
Pricing ranged from 300% margin to 15% margins
the customer service reps sometime got an earfull
I went to work there after the company I was with for appprox 25 was bought. I knew the manager for a long time we were going to try and change the reputation of this company in our area, we were successful for awhile, then one day the manager was gone!
the only downside to this company is the secrecy.Everything was a big secret, which I thought was ridiculous. Oh well
Pros
Nice local working environment
Cons
Out of touch upper management, Secrets
Four + years 2 raises
Tech 1 (Current Employee) –  Portland, MENovember 25, 2018
Work environment and people I work with be difficult to replace! My rate of pay would not. Starting pay seemed OK four years ago fresh out of school with no field experience but after 3 years and only an increase of 40 cents in pay that changed. New hires that I have done a large part of training while they worked to get licenses that I already have making more money than me till a recent raise at my 4 year mark that put me just 15 cents over their pay has steered me towards exploring other options.
Pros
People
Cons
Pay
was a good job.
Installer (Former Employee) –  Hartsville, SCNovember 19, 2018
it was a great place to work. the people was nice, and the manager was a good person. we had weekend off and paid vacations. i got to see new people ever day, that was good.
Hiring in new people without experience making more than the ones that are qualified
Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Haleyville ALNovember 11, 2018
Hired in to do service work and was worked like a borrowed mule! Manager lied to employees constantly along with one ignorant ops manager who would not listen to know one. The lady who scheduled your work would load you up and her not having a clue about the business at all. Got my service truck broke into and all of my personal tools stole and it took them 8 months to replace them because they do not furnish you tools at all. I am a veteran and was treated poorly at this job. They are nothing but a bunch of price gougers and treat their customers poorly. I got one raise because I got offered another job and then they hired a new guy in with no experience making the same money as me and I had 10 years plus experience in the propane field. I could go on and on but I would recommend to stay away.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Just read the message
I liked my time with Suburban.
Delivery Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Ukiah, CANovember 2, 2018
I liked my job at Suburban,you got to see a lot of the country.It could be stressful at times driving a bobtail truck in bad weather customers wanting propane some places were hard to get to.
Pros
Enjoyed seeing different part of the country.
Cons
Stressful at times
tough place to work and advance
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  New JerseyOctober 28, 2018
a mans world with some women in management. no advancement and your opinion is not wanted. lack of education on how to manage people professionally is needed, no consistency at all
Pros
friendly people
Cons
bad management
Good company...
District Manager, Tidewater Region (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, VAOctober 28, 2018
The company is very reputable and has been in business for a long time. Therefore. the company has gone through several management changes which can be a bit unsettling to the employees.
hated every minute of it.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New Bern, NCOctober 26, 2018
Mangement didnt care about employees.
Didnt care if you had a family emergency or if you were sick.
The pay was alright and the benefits were good but that was it.
Pros
Benefits and Pay was Ok
Cons
Stressful, Long Hours. No flexibility
Stable employment with great benefits, well established company.
Service Technician/Driver (Current Employee) –  Chapin, SCOctober 26, 2018
Great place to work! Competitive salary, excellent benefits! If you are not afraid of a little hard work and some idle time this would be a good fit for you.
Whether you are a seasoned veteran or know absolutely nothing about propane, Suburban Propane will work with you and train you in a safe and informative manner. Work with local management as well as people in other areas. There is room to grow within the company.
The hardest part of working for Suburban (in my opinion) was the fast paced environment during the winter months as well as being on-call one week per month or so. With that being said, the fast-paced environment, although being challenging was also fun. Fun? Yes, it was fun to compete with other employees on a daily or weekly basis. I would challenge myself to out- perform other employees.
Although the winter months were demanding, the summer months eased up and allowed for a more relaxed atmosphere, allowing for time off, and with the amount of vacation and personal days available, you have time to spend with family. With Suburban you will have a wide variety of responsibilities so you wont get burned out with always doing the same routine. Local management are awesome. I wish I was still able to work for this great company.
Pros
Benefits- Health, Dental, Vision, Disability, 401K, Annual bonus opportunities/ with pay increases
Cons
Fast-paced, on-call, long hours
Would be better if the branches were allow more control
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  NYOctober 23, 2018
The job started off as if it was going to be really great. Then realized there wasn’t formal training besides going out with another employee so see how they did things. The pay for the location where the work was being performed is not enough for people to live. The corporate offices kept interfering with the branches ability to perform. The branches had a better idea of the territory and knew how to obtain and keep customers better than corporate. One thing that is lacking is communication between staff memebers and upper management. A lot of corporate decisions are being made without input from the employees that have to carry out the tasks. The branch I worked in was filled with great employees and a good manager (even though their hands were tied by corporate). If you want to have some form of a personal life, look elsewhere because that does not exists here. This is a place where you can’t have a long term career. In field operations, you will reach a certain point before supervisory roles and be stuck there. I would recommend more formal training for staff, better communication and less interference from corporate for this to be considered a long term career place.
Not an exciting business but demand for product/services stable
VP Controller/CAO (Former Employee) –  Whippany, NJOctober 1, 2018
Company offers a stable and comfortable work environment.
Business continues to grow and new opportunities are always being evaluated.
Good balance of work/home life.
Pros
Solid company with long history. Products and services will always be needed in the near future
Cons
Revenues/earnings significantly dependent on weather conditions
One of the biggest and best propane companies
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Goshen, OHSeptember 28, 2018
I started out in the propane industry with this company and have worked for other propane companies since but Suburban Propane is a good family oriented work place. I worked here for 6 years and only left to advance my career and earn more pay while doing so. If not for that I would have stayed there until I retired.
Pros
Great benefits and co-workers
Cons
Limited chance of advancement without college degrees.
Career
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTSeptember 28, 2018
Suburban has offered me many advancement opportunities since I have been employed with them. I was given a chance to learn and grow as a person and a manager.
Pros
Benefits, Career opportunity
Great Opportunity and work environment
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNSeptember 18, 2018
Great company to work for. Company has a manager in training program that is very beneficial to the future of the company and future opportunity. Great life and work balance.
Corporate world
Customer Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, VTSeptember 17, 2018
Manager is the only one that personalizes this work place. Things change a little every day.

Constantly critiqued when on the phones to make it exactly there way.
Pros
Flexibility in schedule
Cons
No advancement availability
Its not bad
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lake Stevens, WASeptember 12, 2018
This is not an easy job but it is not a bad job. I enjoy working with the group I have and it feels very small even though it is a very big organization.
Exellent place to work but not a great opportunity for career advancement.
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OHSeptember 12, 2018
Great work environment. Very friendly and helpful co-workers. Management was fair and very instructive. Enjoyed dealing with customers to help them receive the best possible service.
Customer Service & Sales
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLSeptember 12, 2018
Answer phone calls, do floor Sales, input data, help with deposit, take care of walk in Customers, keep Appliance inventory straight, collect payments at front desk.
Pros
Stable Company
Cons
cliques & drama
Solid Company with a 90 year track record of success
Area HR/Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Whippany, NJAugust 30, 2018
Great company to work for---family environment, challenging industry but company provide employees with tools necessary to be successful. Senior management is creative, intelligent and aggressive in the marketplace.
Pros
Famiy environment
Cons
Compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suburban Propane. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight