Suburban Propane Employee Reviews

very friendly atmoshere and i would recommend it to my fellow employees
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJuly 12, 2018
good place to work no problems excellent staff very helpful thank you for being helpful wish is could have stayed but had to go yes I recommend this place to work
Pros
time oo
Sad,Mid-level Management has little to no field experience.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  mdJuly 8, 2018
#1 It really depends on what district you work at what you're up against. From a Technical Standpoint, Mid-level Management has little to no Propane field experience. (Not like the old days!) This has had a negative cumulative effect over the last 5 years slowly eroding their business and because of this poor decisions are made constantly. They pay their investors well but this Facade can't last much longer. If they would pay and promote based on field experience (A once understood absolute necessity in the propane industry) the company could reverse the downward spiral it’s on.
Service and Delivery talent is leaving at a steady pace primarily because of anemic pay and senseless management
Pros
Despite the negatives a very friendly environment to work in and good employee comradery
No hour from march thru oct.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 7, 2018
Worst place to ever work. No hour in the months of march through oct. Management show favoritism. And sorry workes. I never seen grown men call each other on 3 way and talk all day. Once they hang up they talk about each other. Nashville branch and clarksville
Pros
4 days a week
Cons
Pay sucks plenty favortism
Fast Paced with never a dull moment
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Margate, FLJuly 3, 2018
there is little to no down time. Phones constantly ringing, which could be a full time job in itself, however, we also have work orders to post, collection calls to make, fuel deliveries to post. Not to mention setting up new accounts, terminating old accounts and scheduling service work.
Only the strong will survive!
Service Technician II (Current Employee) –  FresJuly 2, 2018
Unfortunately in the valley Suburban is the highest priced provider around so customer complaints are high. Suburban has bosses but not leaders so moral is sometimes low but the employees (drivers, tech's & CSR's) typicly all get along quite well. It is very much a sink or swim environment for new hires.
Pros
Good pay and benifits.
Cons
No leadership
I enjoyed the people with whom I worked.
Manager, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Whippany, NJJuly 2, 2018
I was able to begin my career as a temporary employee and work my way up to HR Manager. I enjoyed working with relocating executives, my staff, and management.
Pros
Great staff.
Cons
Having to fire an employee.
Fast paced company with good benefits and awesome people
Customer Account Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJune 26, 2018
I learned unparalleled customer service experience working for Suburban Propane. Management was great, but there was little to no room for advancement.
great place to work
Driver/Delivery Person (Current Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJune 25, 2018
great place to work, great managers, great co-workers, great location, great work home balance. I don't really have anything negavtive to say about this company
Branch life isnt bad
Unavailable (Current Employee) –  Whippany, NJJune 25, 2018
Corporate kills this place of employment.. I love my job, my customers, and my fellow employees. HOWEVER, not getting raises and the .5% raise you do get every few years is based off budgets that aren't always possible to make.. If you like being nothing but a number to corporate America this jobs for you!
Cons
No raises! No room for advancement!
Good Place to Work
Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  Brewster, NYJune 23, 2018
The team environment at Suburban Propane was wonderful, everyone enjoyed working with each other.
The Management team during my time at Suburban was fantastic.
Pros
Was allowed to schedule my day
Cons
Company changed items we received commissions on
Not a bad place to be a manager
CSC Manager (Former Employee) –  Elko, NVJune 8, 2018
For a major propane company Suburban was not too bad to work for. The challenge can sometimes be with the upper management and their management style. A typical day started at 7 and ended between 5 and 7. During that day I would bounce between the office, outside sales and service work. The hardest part of the job is meeting the budget requirements and growing the customer base. The most enjoyable part was working with the public and getting to know people.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Long days and upper management
A typical day at work
Credit and Collections Representative (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 23, 2018
I am on the phone most of my day by calling Customers to collect money to enable aging accounts to be 30 days or less which includes making payment arrangements, setting up budgets, disconnecting tanks, if needed, and sending out to other collection agencies.
Pros
Team environment
Cons
salary
Productive company to work for
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Hartsville, SCMay 14, 2018
My position was a seasonal position. I enjoyed my position at suburban propane. I worked from 8-5 or sometimes 9-6 and if I needed extra hours the manager would make sure I picked up extra hours and very flexible.
Pros
Hours
Good stepping stone
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Whippany, NJMay 10, 2018
Got the past 7 months, working with Suburban Propane were great. Learned a lot with troubleshooting end users and get more knowledge on how everything is connected within the network.
Possibly the worse company I've ever worked for
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Nashville, INMay 6, 2018
I'm not sure Indeed has enough spaced for me to explain the horrors of this company, but here goes. First off, no one made me work here, I chose it, I accepted the pay, benefits, etc, but they're terrible, my hope is to keep someone else from making my mistake. I'm only going to highlight my issues
1. You have 25 stops today & 180 miles to cover, what you only got 23 done, you worked till 10pm at night, those 2 you skipped were not projected to run out for 2 months, but your going to get screamed at for it. Did I mention the first stop is hour and a half drive one way on ice covered snowy roads, but be safe, slow down
2. We scheduled you for 6 jobs today, sure 1 job is 2hrs away, the others additional hour drives from each other, each job is 4hrs each, but you better get them all done in 8hrs
3. Safety safety safety, slow down, don't rush, be aware....now we are going to yell at you for not going fast enough
4. In my short time there 8 guys in my area were fired or quit
5. Raises.....hahahahahaha, I was told the only raises are the possible bonus from selling enough gas, if we sell enough gas! Never saw a bonus
6. You are a number, plain & simple. If you died today, your job would be posted before your obituary. The management doesn't care one bit about you, it's all for show, be safe, but you better run like a dog.
7. If you like trenching 200ft up hill thru mud with a 100yr old machine you will love it, don't dare ask if they could possibly buy a more up to date or modern piece of machinery, all while your being told about the $400 office chairs that were bought for
  more... the operation manager & main manager, I mean $800 for chairs is acceptable, now you go out there, drag that piece of junk & break your back & do it really fast
8. If you have a CDL, keep looking, there are jobs out there that pay better, better treatment, better conditions, better everything.
Pros
time off
Cons
pay, management, working conditions
Loved my job
Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Timmonsville, SCMay 3, 2018
The company is very customer service oriented and therefor sends you to training and seminars regularly for customer service. I loved that. I was a level 3 CRS which means the angry customer had to go through 2 other people before they got to me. In my time there, I was able to retain each and every customer that came across my desk.
Pros
Home office support
Cons
Not Full Time
Multitasking
Customer Relations Specialist/Accounts Receivable (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 30, 2018
This company--if you have good management it's a good company to work for. I have experienced since my time working here both good/bad managers. They also set the budget/goals so high there's almost no way to meet them to get a raise/bonus. The work load is heavy, expecting you to do 3/4 peoples work with no help. Some of the best drivers/techs I've ever worked with. Seemed like the drivers/techs worked for one company & the office staff worked for another company.
Cons
no raise/bonuses
Coworkers are amazing.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Hartsville, SCApril 27, 2018
Phone volume is different on a day to day basis. Management is pretty laid back. The customers can be a bit rude at times, but you learn to access the situation.
My supervisor was the best guy I ever worked for!
Gas Tech/ Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEApril 24, 2018
Love working for this company! A typical day at work starts at 6 a.m and ends when your finished your route or when the weather dictates. If you like to work like I do you get all the hours you want. Winter you can avg. 65 to 75 hours a week. During cold snaps 80 hours plus. You rotate in and out of on call schedule and you also do after hours calls in winter. Management is good, my relationship with my ops manager was awesome! The CSC manger is typical pro company and didn't value you or your loyalty or commitment to the organization one bit. The company as a whole deems you as just a number. Your expendable at the least little bit of property damage. i.e. running into a mail box, fence, trellis, or what have you. Very high stress, demanding, they only care about the gallons you deliver and that's it! That's where the company makes their $$. They have you drive 150-200 miles a day and will give you 30-40 stops and have you driving down goat paths in the winter, working 70-80 hours a week and want you to deliver but God forbid if you do something with the truck or do damage to something, they have no leniency whatsoever. And it doesn't matter that they can't get anyone to do the job or want to work in the industry. They can't hire anyone to work those types of hours or put up with the on call and call out. They'd rather fire the loyal guy who puts in 120% and works 80 hrs a week and hire some new guy who's not going to last and spend a year training him and $thousands to replace you!
Pros
All the hours you want, overtime, good bennies
Cons
Lower then avg. pay for the job, High stress, High expectations and demanding, Horrible driving conditions in winter
Suburban training dept out of Syracuse,NY is awsome,safety managers are a joke,location managers have their head up their #ss
Service/ drlivery (Former Employee) –  Brentwood,nhApril 20, 2018
Worse place ever .management is the worst I've ever dealt with. Too much lying,talk behind your back and favouritism. Don't go out for a few beers with manager after work and you will be blacklisted.
Many broken promises.they price gouge customers and wonder why they lose them at a rapid rate.
Unfair practices when it comes to gas and oil pricing,IE; bait & switch tactics.
Very un-ethical management / work environment.
Pros
Decent team attitude with techs and drivers, not management
Cons
Management should be fired

Comment – July 12, 2018

this location could offer a $5000 sign on bonus and i still wouldn't apply for this job.Management is awful,lying talk behind your back,bad attitudes,treat customers and employees like dirt. No wonder no one will apply here!
STAY AWAY!!!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Suburban Propane. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.7

2.1Personal Development

2.8Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight