Subway Employee Reviews

Found 27,900 reviews matching the search See all 34,678 reviews
Fun workplace with close coworkers
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Longmont, CONovember 4, 2018
The typical day at work was very routine-like. You'd usually start with prep and baking the bread, and then whatever time you had left before rushes were spent cleaning. The management was changed several times in the past (rightfully), but it never effected us as employees. The workplace culture was really nice. The whole place was one big family. You could talk to anyone there about anything without judgement. It always made work feel less like work. The hardest part of my job was dealing with rude and difficult customers. It's always hard to deal with people that treat you lesser because you're in a service industry job. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to know the customers on a personal level and being able to make their sandwiches from memory.
Pros
Fast paced, lot of break opportunities, close staff
Cons
Small discounts, rare pay raise
I loved subway for the people I worked with not the people I worked for.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTNovember 8, 2018
Subway was a horrible place to work at. I was micromanaged once given position as a manager. I was never sure if i was a manager or assistant manager because upper management could never figure out exactly what position they wanted me to have. I loved my coworkers, well most of them. Unfortunately the one employee I had trouble with is the only one still there. They don't fire you unless you won't be able to draw unemployment benefits. Which is rough on everyone else there because instead of rooting out a bad apple they let it spoil the whole bunch. Which ultimately was bad for business because bad apples drive loyal customers away.
Pros
The people I worked with I ended up loving like family
Cons
micromanagement, limited career advancement without decent pay, 6 days for 36 hours.
Terrible Company
Subway Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orem, UTDecember 18, 2018
I was under-compensated for my work, It took me 1 year to get a 25 cent raise. Management was very poor including upper management. I would not recommend working at the god forsaken place. If you enjoy getting bent over a table and skewed, that's how your whole shift will go. Expect to be left alone yes by yourself for 4 plus hours at a time. Not only do you have to serve each and every customer that comes in they do not offer breaks, even for 6 plus hour shifts. Looking at the bright side of things you get one free six inch every 4 hours so if you enjoy stuffing your face with rubber chicken by all means apply now.
Pros
Cons
Everything it affects your mental health bro
My experience
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSOctober 30, 2018
I had been working at Subway for 2 years. I received ONE raise ($7.40-$8.00) and I was extremely overworked (30-46 hours a week). t was not about the money for me. It was just how poorly we were treated. This was stressful because I was a full time student as well. Once, I worked 20 days straight, no offs and was scolded because I would not come in on my first day off in 3 weeks. I do not mind working, but in a place of employment like this, a lot of responsibilities that are supposed to be handled on different shifts were often put on night shift along with the duties we had to fulfill as well. I met some great people while I was there. A lot of my customers love me and made a personal connection. I had even met some potential lifelong friends. However, Subway is not a place that I want to go back to and I would not recommend anyone to apply here.
Pros
Free Lunch; Great Customers
Cons
No breaks; seldom raises; rude management and employees
Subway!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJanuary 6, 2019
I loved working for subway during the original management the store was ran well and we had a very smooth operation going on. When the new owners took over they cut people’s pay and got rid of a lot of people who I thought we needed to replace anyway but they started filling positions with there family members and hours for non family members because less and less a lot of the good employees I knew quit early on because of how things were starting to progress I stayed until they didn’t give me my last raise from 9 to 10 but left me at 9.75 for 3 check cycles so I quit and moved on unfortunately because it was a good job that tought me a decent amount about management.
Worst place to work
General Manager (Former Employee) –  White Oak, TXOctober 22, 2018
The owners were very cheap and unsanitary. One owner swept up lettuce of floor and served it. I was flabergasted. The do not pay well at all and have no consideration for employees. The managers are overworked and are never given raises or even praise for doing outstanding work. It is very hard to get any help from upper management and they will throw you under the bus if you cost them any money. They don t allow managers to order enough food needed for the week and stores are constantly running out which causes managers to have to drive all over town borrowing product from other stores.
Pros
Most weekends off unless called in
Cons
No raises, bad pay, overworked, and unappreciated.
Only downside was pay, advancement opportunities and benefits.
Sandwich Artist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Coldwater, MSOctober 14, 2018
My manager was awesome and so were my coworkers. The only downsides were the pay, advancement opportunities and benefits. Pay was minimum wage (which is expected) but when you work hard to hopefully move up in the company and you basically get told that there are no opportunities to move up, it kind of makes you want to stop working so hard. Plus, you don’t even get benefits. I was considered part-time but definitely worked full-time hours with no compensation. *I know most all subways are independently owned. This was only my experience at ONE LOCATION. It could be totally different at another location with different owners and managers.*
Clean workplace
Shift Manager/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 3, 2018
I enjoyed working at Subway because of my coworkers and I loved my customers. I was well respected and I stayed very busy. I liked being a leader and teaching people how to have a good experience while also putting in the hard work and being a good example to others. My only real issue with the job was the pay. I am a very hard worker and I take pride in everything I do; however, I wasn't making enough money to cover my bills and sustain myself. I spoke to my employers about raises, or advancing in management and although they were promised , they were never received. I was getting paid less to do more work than everyone else combined and I worked more than the owners. When I am hired to a position I treat the business as if it is my own, I take my job seriously, do my best work, and treat the owners with respect. My employers did not feel the need to treat me in the same respect so I decided my time there was done. I learned a lot from this simple job, and overall I woud say it wasn't too bad.
Pros
comfortable routine work
Cons
wages
Great place to work for part time work it's fast past alot of fun and plenty room for advancement, quartly reviews and raises.
Shift Lead/Cashier/Deli Clerk• Customer service (Former Employee) –  Longview, WADecember 9, 2018
I enjoyed how fun and fast paced the work enviornment was. Management notices hard work, I became shift lead in 6 months after hire. Team work needed.
Pros
Upbeat enviornment, fast paced so day goes quick, advancement, management give quarterly reviews And raises
Cons
Low wage, no benifits, no sick leave, holiday pay., shift lead stuck working closing shift alone to do all closing duties with no crew, late shift ends at 11:45pm.
fun / flexible hours/ interaction with customers/ easy job/ inventory control is important
multi-unit owner (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 5, 2018
Subway is a fun environment as long as you enjoy working as a team.
Management is very understanding as we all work in the same team.

Subway offers healthy food options to its customers and lots of incentive rewards.

Stores open at 7 am on weekdays. During the AM shift the team prepares bread and veggies for the day and serves customers . The PM shift the team cleans up the store & serves the customer

After a shift ends a partial inventory of cash and bread is performed
Pros
free lunch/ flexible schedule/ tips/
Cons
no health benefits at my store/ standing up for long hours
Depends on which Subway
Shift Leader/Closer (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COOctober 28, 2018
Subway is one of those places that the people you work with will make or break your entire shift. We only ever had 3-5 people employees at my Subway. Every once in awhile one of those was a bad egg. I liked my boss but hated the district manager and the owner. Free subs and drinks are great but a 15 cent raise is pathetic when you raise sandwich prices a dollar every 2 years. But customers are and will always be the worst part of Subway.
Pros
Free subs, great co-workers, easy work unless you have to be there in the early morning
Cons
Customers, customers, management, mopping, customers
Don’t work here
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, IllinoisOctober 22, 2018
If you need a fast job, then subway is the place for you. Overall, I didn’t like it. I never got a raise no matter how many times I asked for one.. the manager never did her job and milked her hours.. and my hours kept getting cut. On top of it all.. if you needed time off for an emergency or something(even if you were sick or dying) you’d be threatened with termination if you couldn’t get your shift covered. I enjoyed the people I met working there and the people I worked with but all in all... I’ll never work there again unless they pay me enough
Pros
Free subs
Cons
Poor management, poor wages, no bonuses, no hours
Easy to move up, but poor management and follow through
Assistant-Manager and Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  102 N Park Rd. Hollywood 33021September 19, 2018
On an average day, I would say that the job is pretty stressful. Typically I would come into a filthy store that I had to clean feverishly. During my career at Subway, I experienced an overwhelming abundance of new people, so as you can imagine as a direct result the store was in a constant wave of messiness and confusion.
The workplace culture lacks strong management, seeing as prior to me we went a month and a half without an assistant manager or general manager.
Honestly, the most enjoyable part of the job sadly was the pay, and being promoted.
Pros
i had good hours
Cons
poor work environment and management
Was a good job, but the management was not great when I left
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Salem, OHSeptember 3, 2018
At a typical day at work, we would make sandwiches, prep food, clean, make sure the shifts ran smoothly, and ring people out. I learned how to handle difficult customers better. The management was shaky; the schedule was never out on time and the District Manager never told us how good we did with everything while we were there, she just felt the need to tell us every little thing we did wrong and berate us about it. The hardest part of the job was not letting rude customers get to you. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people that I worked with; they made the shifts I worked tolerable.
Pros
Free lunches, raises every year
Cons
no real breaks, bad management, on your feet all day
A Good First Job But Nothing More
Assistant Manager/Trainer/Store Closer (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXDecember 18, 2018
It was a good place to get your first job at. It’s not to fast-pace where you cannot catch up, but in return you get paid minimum wage and will rarely ever get a raise if you even get one in the first place. The management was decent, but it needs some work at the location I worked at. I was 17 and I was running the entire store’s afternoon shift which was kind of hard to believe. It is kind of hard to take days off.
Pros
Good first job
Cons
Short breaks, bad management, little to no raise
I love the customer
Subway Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Sun prairie WisconsinJanuary 2, 2019
Horrible place an people to ever work for...
They owners hire anybody they say as long as there's a body ,stores are very nasty the one in Sun prairie Walmart an the children work there ate very lazy bread is serve 2days old just lack of training underaged kids working long hours Management suck ..
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Overworked required alot for no raise look down upon
Flexible and fun workplace with nice co-workers
Sandwich Artist (Current Employee) –  Middleburg, PAAugust 23, 2018
Working at Subway was very flexible with hours and a typical day at work would include many tasks from preparing sandwiches and serving guests to cleaning tables and floors. Sometimes a work shift would require taking inventory and keeping track of food items. The management was very lenient and helpful to new employees and I would describe workplace culture as exciting and fast-paced at times. The hardest part of the job was being able to complete all tasks before closing especially after a busy dinner rush. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with the co-workers and greet the customers everyday.
Pros
Free 6 inch sub/ salad/
Cons
no advancement
Great Franchise
Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Gallia County, OHSeptember 21, 2018
It was a great franchise and company to work for. I grossed over a dollar in raises, in less than a year. If you enjoy working with the public this is the PERFECT job for you! You're literally making their sandwich and having conversations with them as well. It was definitely the best part of the job. Manager is absolutely great to work for as well as the Owner. The hardest part of the job is the chaos, as long as you can handle the chaos, its great.
Pros
Face paced, Discounts on food, Great Management & Owners
Cons
Not much career advancement unless the owner decides to open another store.