Success Academy Charter Schools Employee Reviews

Working
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYOctober 12, 2018
High stressed environment. Can be a great place to work if you love being on the move most of the time. Management style varies across the board and feedback can be overlapping or inconsistent at times.
Pros
educating
Cons
stressful
Long Days Great Kids
Athletic Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 11, 2018
Days are exceptionally long with great benefits and many holidays during the year. The school days are long with great kids in a high demand atmosphere.
Wonderful Children, Robotic, Unreasonable administration
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2018
Across the board the children are a delight. The resources I was given as a teacher were phenomenal as were the health benefits. That is where the good stops. Working for success academy is the exact equivalent of being in an abusive relationship. They shame, belittle or overwork you and then try to make up for it with gifts, endless amounts of free supplies, and health benefits. I have seen teachers be pushed out because they let their personal lives "interfere" with work. There is an expectation that you must work as long as your senior leader demands of you and the culture can often be toxic depending on the personality of your senior leader. The organization as a whole does not care about the human aspects of your life. You are belittled for getting sick or having personal/family issues. You are made to feel weak if you do not over extend yourself. You are rewarded for being a robot and demeaned for being an actual human. If you have strong behavior management and can advocate for yourself in a neutral, professional manner then you stand a chance. The demand in this institution is not normal despite what they think. Success Academy believes you must work insanely hard to close the achievement gap. The matter of the fact is, you are also human, you are also important. You deserve a good work life/balance, especially in a challenging profession like teaching. If you are not a robot, don't apply. If you are a robot, you will do well.
Pros
joyful and happy kids, free snacks, unlimited supply resources, excellent health benefits
Cons
condescending leadership/management, robotic expectations, militant treatment of children, dehumanizing culture
Talented group of people at a well-resourced and commendable non-profit
Sr. Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2018
Full of ambitious and talented people concerned with making a difference in the world. The company is very well-resourced which translates to great benefits and a nice working environment.
Horrible Bosses meet Get Out
Lead teacher (Former Employee) –  High SchoolAugust 29, 2018
No lunch break on my schedule. I was expected to be mean to the kids. I received threats of termination on day three of school. Everyone is unhappy. Bosses are psychopaths. Everyone is disposable, even the kids Quit my job on the third day of school because I could not disrespect the students anymore. The most traumatic experience of my life.
Pros
wonderful kids. Some co-workers are genuinely nice people.
Cons
Everything else
This is one of the worst schools to work for.
Associate Teacher (Former Employee) –  Washington Heights, NYAugust 7, 2018
I was recruited for an associate teacher position after passing a myriad of steps in the hiring process. When I finally made it to staff training, the employer fired me at the end of the week. At the training, they have a scripted curriculum where they tell teachers what to say and literally how to teach word for word. You watch students being drilled like little soldiers even during lunch and recess. During the training, you see it's mostly young adults fresh out of college ranging from 22-28 years old with no teaching background/experience being trained to be teachers. The whole week of training, you're being observed the WHOLE time. Someone from HR comes with a laptop observing how you talk to the kids and "teach". I was asked in the middle of the week at the end of training to meet privately with HR staff and was told I don't have a strong classroom presence. I thought why did I go through 3-5 different interviews to be deemed unqualified to teach? Especially if I had teaching experience. This was their first warning. After I worked to improve myself for the rest of the week, I was told by other colleagues that I made so much progress. However, it was not enough for Success Academy and they just fired me on the last day of training and said I'm not fit to be a teacher in their school. If you want a real teaching job, don't work here. You're wasting your time and will be fired at any time in the school year.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Turnover, young admin and HR (under their 30s), lack of professionalism from HR
Long Hours
Community Relations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2018
Working for SA, there is no work life balance. Work hours a day are averaged to about 11-12 hours. No scheduled lunch break unless you are a teacher.
Success Academy Charter Schools
Community Relations Manager -Education (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 11, 2018
Overall Success Academy Charter Schools has plenty of opportunities for growth overall career advancement. Being an operations leader in my current school (The Bronx), the scholars, parents, teachers and staff have created a true sense of community like you may not seen at any other school. Yes! the work hours are long (7am-6pm) including a "working lunch". However, staff are committed to scholar success and the company's overall mission statement. Most enjoyable part of this job was the children! They are the highlight of every moment of your every day!
Pros
smart, creative, hard-working, funny co-workers
Cons
your work can be all-consuming, in a good way, but YOU have to make time for your personal life -- and it can be done! (hint: exercise!)
Beware
Community Relations Manager (Current Employee) –  SchoolJuly 10, 2018
Success is great if you have exceptional management. Unfortunately, if your leadership is messy then your day to day can vary. If you can remain professional while advocating for yourself, you may do alright.
Pros
Lunch, fitness classes at my school, PTO for Operations members, healthcare
Cons
Clicky relationships, leadership dictates life
Beware of this place
recruiter (Current Employee) –  NewMay 25, 2018
Lots of changes happening and chief executives being forced out. Loyalty is key here to be successful. Easier working in the network headquarter office versus in one of the schools.
Unethical Organization, don't be fooled by the marketing
Administrator (Former Employee) –  NYC, NYMay 23, 2018
This organization does not care about families, children or the employees. Everyone is treated as if they are disposable. Unethical tactics are used across the board. Depressing work environment, where children are bribed to learn. The people who stay truly have limited options. Effectiveness is based on how cold you can be to others. Do not work here.
Pros
Free food, wonderful children
Cons
Everything else
Overall very tense and cold environment.
Associate Science Teacher (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2018
The overall culture at success is very militant. The management is very poor as the average lifespan of a success employee is just a year. No one really knows what their doing in the higher up positions and the principals of the schools are as young as 27, with less than a year of teaching experience. There is a lot of micromanagement that takes place and over the course of my time at success did I hear one piece of positive feedback to any member of staff from leadership. They have a tendency to focus on the negative aspects of not only the adults, but also the children and anyone who has ever been reprimanded appears to be flagged and they will analyze that persons every movement for mistakes. There is little joy throughout the staff and students on a daily basis.
Pros
Lots of free snacks and food. The children are wonderful!
Cons
No positive feedback, and the leadership likes to micromanage everything.
Odd Culture
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 16, 2018
It turned out to be a very odd culture in the way of lack of communication couple with favoritism. Feedback culture encouraged however not truly warranted.
Pros
Great goals and mission
Cons
Personnel doesn't allow for openness
Tough Learning Curve
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 11, 2018
Great place to start your journey into education. Office politics rule how advancement/promotion is dictated. This goes for all of the various departments.
Good place for college graduates with no professional experience to begin.
Business Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 3, 2018
Children are the center of everything at the schools.
Their safety and education is the priority.
Ridiculously high turnover at Associate Director (middle management) level.
The most difficult part was expectations were not clear and instability at the next level of management.
The most enjoyable part was greeting children and parents each morning at arrival.
Pros
Competitive pay, Good benefits choices, Positive influence for children
Cons
Poor leadership and management at AD level, Narrow-minded managers, Vague expectations
Good company
Unknown (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 29, 2018
The job culture was absolutely amazing. I had never worked in a setting with such positive energy. Management was always there for you and you never felt unappreciated as an employee.
Okay Exeperience
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 23, 2018
Working here was an overall fine experience. The only issue is that they mold you to be what they want you to be. There is no room for creativity or for you to just enjoy teaching in your natural style to achieve success for your scholars. They also give you feedback and you implement but they want it perfect first time. They expect you to grow and to develop all on your own, with no true training and development. Then get upset with you if you are not where they want you to be.
Benefits
Cons
No breaks, more negative than postive feedback, don't genuinely care for the parents more data based
Stressful, toxic work culture
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Midtown Manhattan, NYApril 18, 2018
Upper management made strange choices that actively went against the best interest of the children. Highly toxic environment, very little teacher retention. They do not appreciate their teachers.
Long Hours, Difficult People, Lack of Guidance
Community Relations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 3, 2018
I found it quite difficult to deal with the long hours and the people who could treat you poorly without consequences. There is very little onboarding if you come to work for the school network towards the beginning of the school year.
Smoke and Mirrors
Lead Teacher (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 19, 2018
Success looks great on paper. However, if you spend more than a few days at one of the networks schools you will see the truth behind the name. Success' main focus is data. Their numbers are great because they drill students over and over on the same types of questions every single day for months. Its more like a test taking factory and less of a school. It breaks my heart when I see students crying, feeling bad about themselves because they didn't get a specific score. Students do not learn how to think creatively or be analytical. They learn how to be successful on the state test.
Pros
working with amazing kids and families, Uber business account, free snacks, pretty good pay
Cons
no work/life balance, unprofessional management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Success Academy Charter Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

75%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

75%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss