Suffolk County District Attorney's Office Employee Reviews

productive and wonderful place to work
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 3, 2018
i learned a lot from the people who worked there and i got a great sense of how law enforcement and law collaborate in the criminal justice system. the people that work there are good, honest people and want to do the right thing.
Great Hands-on Internship
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Central Islip, NYMarch 31, 2018
Filed, wrote stay-away reports, created folders for each case, went to court to watch cases, created folders for Child Protective Service cases. Mornings started in court, then lunch, filing and creating files for domestic violence cases, creating folders for Child Protective Service cases, and also writing stay-away and protection orders for domestic violence cases.
productive
Victim/Witness Advocate (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 17, 2017
• Assisted law enforcement and District Attorney's Office in interviewing crime victims, providing emotional support and physical resources as needed
• Assisted with resource referrals and court support/advocacy to victims
• Assisted as an advocate for victims to ensure their needs were addressed within the community and criminal justice system
• Arranged transportation, lodging and other accommodations for victims & witnesses to assist them in keeping appointments and attending court appearances
great summer internship
Legal Intern at Boston Municipal Court (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 1, 2017
Great summer internship for those interested in getting courtroom experience. Great exposure to criminal law. Will perform a variety of criminal law tasks.
Unique and interesting place to work and learn
Archives/ Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYMarch 24, 2017
Learned how to work with highly sensitive information and gained valuable experience working with computer software. Gained a unique insight into the criminal justice field and working along side with police officers, detectives and attorneys.
Pros
Healthcare
Too much expected Too little compensation
VWA (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 13, 2017
Too many responsibilities, too little supervision with
low pay and no professional support. A very stressful job dealing with Victim's of crime & it's aftermath. Long hours without overtime pay and raises rarely given. Culture of office doesn't acknowledge importance of Advocate's role in successful prosecution of cases. Other employees don't have a clear understanding of Advocte's role.
Pros
Interesting, varied duties, opportunities to help people
Cons
Long stressful hours, no overtime pay
Great hands-on learning environment
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 24, 2016
The Juvenile Unit is composed of a great group of people who are sincerely interested in helping juveniles and youthful offenders, yet ensuring that justice is served for the public and the victims.
The best job I have ever had
Investigator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 12, 2016
I love working here, I love the people, and I love to help people. I love meeting with victims, finding them for the ADAs, I love researching people and places. I find the job so interesting, I am never bored, and I always try to maintain a full workload.
Pros
Never bored
Cons
Salary
Challenging and busy, yet rewarding place to work
Internship (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 11, 2015
My experience consisted of an internship under Assistant District Attorneys in the First Session court. I spent a lot of the time observing preliminary trial stages, as well as full on trials, ranging from weapons charges all the way to homicides.
My bosses provided me with the opportunity to review bail hearings and give briefs on bail status. I was also responsible for reviewing files on potential parole candidates. I would write the recommendation letters to the parole board, incorporating what I had learned from the file, as well as giving the opinion of the District Attorney's Office.
The hardest part of the job was being thrown into the business of the office, and trying to keep up with going on around me. People move so quickly and chaotically, which definitely took some time to get used to. I came to love this aspect of the internship however, because it taught me how to work under pressure, and get things done by a deadline in a timely fashion. Another enjoyable feature of the job was to be able to take the lead over some of my co-interns, and decide when and how were were going to get the parole reviews done. It taught me that I like working in a team setting, and if need be, taking the lead role.
Pros
great leagal experience, lunch seminars from different attorneys througout the office
Cons
unpaid
Great place to start one's career
Assistant District Attorney (Former Employee) –  Central Islip, NYOctober 18, 2015
Great place to start one's career. Unparalleled training and trial experience. Great environment and very supportive supervisors.
Productive and welcoming workplace
Intern (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 21, 2015
My work at the District Attorney's office varied each day. I was able to go to Superior Court to watch a trial if I was interested. I listened to jail calls and made copies of them. I filed at the Boston Municipal Court next door. I worked on the Executive Office and the Homicide Unit entering trial information into the computer. Some days I went to Massachusetts State Police to answer the phones about specific ongoing cases.
I learned to take breaks and manage time, not everything can be done in one day. The hardest parts of the job were the most tedious parts like filing, but they had to be done and are important. The most enjoyable part is being able to enter a courtroom and see a verdict or a hearing or arraignment. Those are interesting, and you are able to learn from the prosecutors doing their job on the murder cases. It is rewarding for them to see their hard work pay off and get justice for the victim's families.
My other favorite part about working at the District Attorney's office was working with the office dog: Indy. He is a well trained dog that comforts children who have dealt with abuse and violence. I did research that helped Indy get here and he is the first dog in New England allowed in courthouses.
My coworkers were a pleasure to be around. My father and best friend's father work here so I already knew most of the Assistant District Attorney's, but everyone is friendly and welcoming. People help each other out every day and there are rarely any issues among co-workers. Interns get treated with respect, as well.
Pros
among friends, lunch places nearby, downtown Boston is always fun
Cons
Great place to learn and work
Legal Intern, Vehicular Crimes Bureau (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYApril 19, 2015
Supervisors and senior ADAs are welcoming and helpful. Great environment to both work and learn from experienced prosecutors.
Hard Subject Matter
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 12, 2015
Work in the Child Abuse Unit. Difficult cases to work on, but very rewarding. The staff was very helpful and team oriented
Learning Experience
Assistant District Attorney (Former Employee) –  Suffolk County, N.Y.December 30, 2014
As an Assistant District Attorney, I acquired invaluable experience in and out of the courtroom. I was afforded the opportunity to present numerous cases to Grand Juries and conduct jury trials as well as numerous bench trials. I also co-chaired a number of felony trials such as Grand Larceny and Burglary cases in which the defendants were found guilty on all charges. I also received an award from Mothers Against Drunk Driving for the excellence in prosecution of all DWI related offenses. Just as important as the skills that I have gained in the courtroom are the lessons that I have learned while evaluating cases. I am adept at spotting potential weaknesses and trying to resolve those issues before they ever reach the courtroom.
Would love to start my career there
Law Assistant (Former Employee) –  Central Islip, NYAugust 4, 2014
I was a law assistant and loved the District Attorney's Office. I am hoping to start my career there.
Internship was a great learning experience
Legal Intern - Domestic Violence Unit (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 28, 2012
While only there for a few months, I was given the opportunity to second seat a trial. Great opportunity to learn how prosecutors work.
Busy Workplace
Legal Extern (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 24, 2012
I enjoyed the opportunity of representing the Commonwealth at the Boston Municipal Court during arraignments.
Pros
court experience
Cons
unpaid internship
Assisted attorneys with handling cases
Legal Intern (Former Employee) –  Riverhead, NYSeptember 11, 2012
I assisted attorneys in all phases of handling cases and conducting trials including conducting legal research, writing memoranda of law, handling files, producing discovery and parole letters. In addition, the attorneys permitted me to be an active part of their trials including helping in witness preperation, creating strategy and observing all phases of conducting a trial. I greatly enjoy the courtroom atmosphere and working in a fast paced environment.