Suffolk University Employee Reviews

Excellent Work Study University
Admissions Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 12, 2018
As a work study scholarship a student will be successfully placed and satisfied. Workplace culture, management and expectations all realistic and pleasant.
Pros
Work study position, compensation, educational
Cons
Limitations in compensation
Suffolk University Police Department
Lead Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 9, 2019
Management, is awful. Hard workers will not be noticed for their hard work.

Favoritism is at its all time high at Suffolk University. They will force you to work doubles if they are short staffing.
A fallen Camelot of a work environ.
Senior Instructor of Chemistry (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 25, 2018
I began at suffolk working as an instructor for my long time mentor and professor. Early in 2010 the school was rocked by retirement pension scandals for their CEO and this led to political upheaval over the next 4 years as well as a turnover rate of 4 different CEO"S. My mentor had retired and a requirement of PHD was put on the ability to be a chemistry lecturer.
Pros
At first the people and academic atmosphere
Cons
Discord and political nonsense surrounding the faculty and teaching work place
Terrible Work Place
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 24, 2018
Easily one of the worse working environments ever experienced. I would not recommend anyone to work at this facility. Others have had decent experiences, but mine was terrible.
Pros
Maybe benefits
Cons
Management, lack of accountability, terrible work environment
So disapointing
Benefits/Leave of Absence Specialist (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 15, 2018
I was so excited to be able to work at Suffolk. I very quickly found out that this was a mistake. I left after about 6 months. On its face, it appears to be an amazing place to work. Unfortunately it was one of the worst working experiences I have ever had. Potentially it was just the department that I worked in but by the amount of turnover that was happening I doubt it was just me. Hopefully they'll be able to turn it around.
Pros
Every holiday off
Good staff but lacked focus and vision
Director, Study Abroad Programs (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 14, 2018
My colleagues were lovely and the working environment was good, however I was working there at a time where there was a great deal of transition. Suffolk has just hired a new president who only lasted a couple years in his position. The transition of leadership did leave the university lacking some vision along with a great deal of restructuring.
dont work here
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 30, 2018
I would not recommend, no opportunities for growth people are here for a long time without promotion or bonuses. Its an OK place for a short stint
Excellent location and stimulating environment
Adjunct Faculty Member (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 4, 2018
I loved working and teaching here. The inner city location and culture is awesome and the students really eager to learn. It is a superb opportunity for teachers and students alike.
Great Work Study Positions
Work Study/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 26, 2018
Easy work study positions that are great for helping those with less experience gain professional skills. Previous experience or skills are not required.
it sucks
IT Support Internship Program (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 7, 2019
Look up review in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
A review is an evaluation of a publication, service, or company such as a movie (a movie review), v
Part time job
TUTOR (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 21, 2018
Easy money for college students. I work part time and you have to be a student. You get to collaborate with other tutors once a week and reflect on how your meetings went with students.
No growth
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 8, 2016
No raises in years, no opportunities for advancement, and low pay. Employees work hard because of their love for their students. Faculty and staff go above and beyond their job titles/descriptions to help each and every student, with no incentives from administration. Most employees at Suffolk are either leaving for better jobs at other IHEs or looking for better jobs.
Pros
Excellent, but expensive, health insurance. High employer contribution to 403(b).
Cons
Low morale, no advancement, no raises in years, top-heavy administration
Not necessarily long term
Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 21, 2018
I learned how to manage my time to work effectively with my own course load. Was someone to look up to in ties of need. Please keep in mind this was basically a glorified work study position and does not reflect opinions about higher ups in the university nor other staff working there past or present.
Pros
discounts on food
Cons
no breaks
Diverse and supportive environment
Student (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 5, 2018
Suffolk is a supportive and very diverse environment. Although there are mixed of levels of quality, overall, Suffolk has had some exceptional staff and faculty that strived above and beyond to make positive impacts on student's life and society.
Fun and Productive
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 22, 2018
The department I worked in was productive and easy. I just had to answer calls, receive incoming mail, and inform students when their mail arrived. I also answered any questions the students had.
Watercolor and art history course
Student (Former Employee) –  Provincia di Firenze, ToscanaFebruary 26, 2018
Course for Water color and art history credit for six weeks in Florence Italy. The course was filled with the rich culture while expanding our knowledge on the subject discussed.
Marketing Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 12, 2018
It was a work study job, so there was not much to be expected but pay. I was not a full time worker so i cannot speak to the benefits made available to those who worked there as full-time workers. Overall, the experience was rewarding and it was a positive environment.
Intellectually stimulating workplace with good management
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 4, 2015
I loved working here. There was an excellent balance of expectations in terms of teaching vs. research; my students and colleagues were stimulating and friendly; the university supported its faculty and staff, offering sufficient opportunities for advancement and growth.
Pros
Intellectually challenging work and competitive salary/benefits
Cons
Hard to say -- small offices, perhaps.
Typical higher education atmosphere with tuition benefits but low salary.
Student Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 20, 2015
The year has it's ups and downs depending on what is going on. The office itself has great, fun staff, but the students and parents can cause a lot of headache. 20% of the students causing 80% of the frustration.

The university does offer good benefits, but the salary compensation makes it difficult to make ends meet in the city of Boston.

Advancement is difficult because most higher ranking administrators have been at the university quite some time. At times, it feels like the only way to move up is if the person above you passes away.
No room for growth
Coordinator- SBS Dean's office (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 28, 2016
Growing within the university is down to who you know, and the connections you develop. There is little room to move, no raises in over 4 years, a culture, of low morale. Currently, work for a great department, but nowhere to move.
Pros
Work Like Balance, tuition benefits.
Cons
No cost of living increases, or raises. No Job security.