Sugar Bowl Ski Resort Employee Reviews

Low wages discrimination
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Norden, CAFebruary 11, 2019
Screwed up system. High expectations, low reward and compensation. A lot of stuck up and rude people treat you like dirt and play favorites. Employees are a dime a dozen around there. Upper management doesn't care about regular employees. They were just sued for violating labor laws!! Not for the first time.
Pros
you can ride free if they give you any time off while the lifts are running
Cons
food is too pricey, even with employee discount. run down housing
insanly intense
Kitchen Supervisor/Cook (Former Employee) –  Norden, CAFebruary 11, 2019
the head chef was awesome, the f@b manager was not. Lets just put it this way, they lost a class action lawsuit last year, and i got a fat check, the shareholders of this company treat employees very badly, not a company looking at employee retention
Pros
free food
Cons
as i was supervisor, i worked the most hours
Don't waste your time working here...
Ski Instructor (Former Employee) –  Norden, CAFebruary 6, 2019
The resort is owned by a board of rich people who enjoy taking advantage of the employees they hire. They can't seem to follow California laws either. Very poor management. Bosses are very angry people.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Taken advantage of
Not a good place to work
Resort Operations (Former Employee) –  Norden, CAAugust 13, 2018
Sugar Bowl has some great people that work there but unfortunately the board of Directors decided to hire a person as CEO that doesn't fit the culture. He has brought in some equally poor leadership even some that don't know how to run their departments. Safety has gone down hill and the resort is a very poor place to work. The HR department is very unfriendly and doesn't provide much help to employees who need it.
Pros
Fellow employees
Cons
Management, benefits, safety
Culture is driven by the mountains.
Digital Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norden, CAMay 31, 2018
Many people work there for the love of the mountains. Balancing time to ski/ride was valued, and made working there enjoyable. Pay across the company is low, but that is due to people being passionate about the industry.
Pros
ride breaks.
Cons
poor management.
A better than normal experience for resort work
Tickets, Catering, Cafe Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norden, CAMay 8, 2018
I enjoyed the staff I worked with from bottom up and other departments as well. Can be slow at times and crazy busy depending on weather. Pretty good perks. Offered me different job options and opportunities. Affordable housing for the area but it was crazier than a college dorm
Pros
benefits of being able to ski for free
Cons
weather at times, understaffed for end of season
Fun
Lift Operator (Current Employee) –  Truckee, CAMarch 25, 2018
It is a very relax atmosphere and everyone is nice there. You work long hours but it is not hard work. You get to interact with the guests and have a free pass which is a plus.
Pros
free pass
Cons
weird hours
The best ski resort to work at. Period.
Race Crew (Current Employee) –  Norden, CAMarch 23, 2018
Sugar Bowl ski resort is a very tight-knit community with respectful homeowners, employees, and guests. As an employee, expect to have plenty of perks that will benefit your skiing career and introduce you to new hobbies.
Pros
PLENTY of perks, Great Scenery, Easy to get around, People are very down-to-earth, Uniform code allows for layering and personal choices for equipment.
Cons
Uniforms aren't super warm by themselves: You may need to add a layer
Long Days, Seasonal Work
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Norden, CAFebruary 8, 2018
The days were long and typically very fast paced. The managers are fairly relaxed. Great co-workers and a fun environment. On-site lodging for employees was horrible when I worked there, but may have improved since then.
Fun place to work
Head Chef (Former Employee) –  Norden, CAJanuary 3, 2018
I Love sugar Bowl ski resort. It was a great place to work, learn, and play. The experience i gained there is priceless, and it has a great family environment.
ambiente de trabajo positivo
Work and Travel - ''busser'' (ayudante de mesero) (Former Employee) –  Norden, California. Estados UnidosNovember 8, 2017
se comenzaba el dia muy temprano y siempre con harta actividad. Teniamos descanzo de 10 minutos cada 4 horas de trabajo seguidas (segun politicas del estado de California).
Trato con clientes era diario y los puestos eran rotativos.
Chef (Former Employee) –  Lake Tahoe, CAOctober 13, 2017
Good company offering cheap employee housing, virtually unlimited hours of overtime for certain positions. Summer jobs are not worth it, but during the winter season there is huge potential to make a lot of money if desired.
Awesome mountain, horrible workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 28, 2017
No serious management. revolving door of employees. No real chance of advancement, even with years of employment. Employees are treated as if they are expendable. Sometimes makes up fake reasons to fire employees they don't like, last year it was all the good ones. Also avoid employee housing at all costs, the conditions are deplorable
Pros
Snow, skiing, natural beauty
Cons
Management, harsh enviroment
My experience working with Sugar Bowl Ski Resort was great.
Lift technician/ Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Norden, CAAugust 16, 2017
I worked for Sugar Bowl for almost 8 years. The organization was great. Giving me opportunity after opportunity to advance within. The company treated their employees like family.
Ambiente laboral
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Nevada, CaliforniaJuly 17, 2017
Mi experiencia en el Resort de Ski Sugar Bowl fue increíble ya que tuve la oportunidad de relacionarme con personas de diversos países, aprendiendo su cultura, costumbres, entre otros aspectos fundamentales que causan un fuerte lazo de integridad y trabajo en equipo.
Happy work Environment
Concierge (Current Employee) –  Soda Springs, CAJune 23, 2017
I love working at Sugar Bowl exclusively with the homeowners. It is a very challenging and busy environment, crazy at times. I thrive in this type of atmosphere. My interaction with the homeowners, is my favorite. I enjoy helping make their stay with us perfect to every detail. They are easy to please and very grateful for our help.

I enjoyed my Supervisor position in ski school as well. Working at a ski resort is a "happy experience".
Pros
Our passes are pros
Cons
The weather can be tricky at times
Favorite Place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Norden, CAMarch 28, 2017
I loved working for Sugar Bowl. I worked 2 other resorts in the Tahoe area and this one was by far my favorite. Loved the atmosphere and all the managers and staff. Everyone was great!
Fun place to spend a winter, lots of responsiblity
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Norden, CAFebruary 28, 2017
Sugar Bowl was a transformative experience. I learned a lot about work ethic, responsibility, and team work. there was a high volume of foot traffic which required all employees to be sharp and performing to the best of there abilities. Management was decent but often neglected there employees in regards to communication and schedule changes.
Productive workplace
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Norden, CAFebruary 25, 2017
Busy but keeps you on your toes.
Teaches you how to react in certain situations.
The management needs to be more organized.
The work environment is upbeat and positive.
The hardest part about the job is the weather, the snow gets deep within hours. Getting to work is a struggle but I'll always be on time.
The best part of this job is the benefits, the free skiing/snowboarding and the location, it's beautiful in many ways.
Pros
discounted lunches, free skiing/snowboarding and employee housing
Cons
lack of snow removal, unorganized, and delayed notifcations on resort information.
Fun Family Feel
Wedding Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Norden, CAOctober 5, 2016
I have worked for Sugar Bowl for nearly ten years. I love the family feel between all of the staff, and our guests. I have made so many great relationships over the years, and it truly feels like home. If it wasn't for relocation, and having no interest in commuting, I'd be there forever. The ski industry is a demanding field-hence my "star ratings"
Pros
free ski pass

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sugar Bowl Ski Resort. Our community is ready to answer.

Sugar Bowl Ski Resort Reviews by Location