Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems, Inc. Employee Reviews

A Bad Company with Poor Management and a Terrible Work Culture
Engineer (Former Employee) –  MichiganJuly 20, 2018
Sumitomo is a bad company to work for due to a variety of reasons. Management (which is mostly Japanese) in particular is quite bad because they don't provide any meaningful support. Many of the employees don't work well together and customers can be rather difficult to work with. Pay is low comparatively speaking although the benefits package is not bad. Advancement opportunities for Americans is very limited.
Pros
Benefits were decent
Cons
Bad management, low salary, low job security, limited advancement for Americans, favoritism for Japanese (and against Americans), poor treatment by customers, etc.
good
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, KYJune 21, 2018
sumitomo is a good place to work with nice people. the hours are nice, you still have time to enjoy your day, its not too stressful, the best part is the people, the worst part is the pay if youre not afull time employee
Pros
the work enviroment
Cons
getting started
Sumitomo is a fine place to work but advancement and job security is horrible nonetheless .
WareHouse Machine Manufacturer (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAMay 23, 2018
The only main thing about Sumitomo is the fact that job security is horrible . It seems like they keep you for a week or two than let you go but this nonetheless is not surprising at all . The funny thing is that the management is extremely lenient .. everyone is on the get in get out environment which is great . Job security is bad .. work schedule is good .. Job advancement is also bad .. On top of all this .. NO OVERTIME . Bummer .
Pros
Nice work .
Cons
No overtime what so ever . At all .
Sumitomo for me was a great job to have. However management should take into consideration job stability.
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, KYMay 19, 2018
I was laid off after working at SEWS for nearly two years and was devastated. I was a Quality Control Leader, and to top off everything, along with several others I was laid off close to Christmas. Human Resources told me to reapply in 30 days and I would be hired again, but as a single mother of two children I could not risk not knowing whether or not I would have job stability. Which is an important asset to me.
Pros
Co-Workers become family, employees get plenty of training, its an air conditioned environment, and as far as manufacturing goes it was the cleanest factory I have worked at.
Cons
You are not guaranteed job stability, Seniority has job stability, if last to be hired first to be laidoff
good place to work just very fast paced
Packer (Former Employee) –  Marysville, OHMay 15, 2018
hard part is heavy parts and fast paced but its good management friendly people. They are very patient while training you and will work with you on your speed for improvement .
Pros
friendly, fun
Cons
pay, health care
Assembly department is so stupid
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYMarch 25, 2018
They “train” you for a week with a full time that hardly wants to teach you about the robots, they just say push this push that without explaining what went wrong then after being “trained” they expect you to know it wall when you have to run multiple robots, you have to wear an unnecessary bump cap that makes your head sweat a lot, if you go threw temp you’ll get paid like $9 and full time are making $13, still not worth it especially if they got you running 4-6 machines a night! This place is horrible especially Assembly dept. It’s a dead job
Pros
Co workers are cool
Cons
Stressful easily get write ups
productive and fun
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, KYMarch 4, 2018
it was a fun place to work. made many friends . Always enjoyed going to work. Facility was close to home, so not much travel. I learned how fuse boxes for vehicles were made.
Pros
fun place
Cons
management
Back in High school
In-line Inspector (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYMarch 2, 2018
I felt like I was in high school most of the time, you had your "clicks" that you had to put up with, there were the QA that looked down on everyone, the in-line QA and the machine techs that tried to keep a balance between everyone, the full time operators and the Temps.
Pros
benifets
Cons
Hr
Great benefits
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, PAFebruary 1, 2018
Overall great place to work. Excellent benefits and paid time off. Great pay to. Factory I was employed by relocated to Mexico we were offered severance pay and paid college
Good pay and benefits
QA Lead (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYOctober 9, 2017
You will get good pay and benefits here. It is very fast paced but expect to work a lot of hours and plenty of overtime. Very very strict and emmaculate factory.
Managers are unrespectful and corrupts
Traffic (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 1, 2017
I worked for Sumitomo for almost 5 years in El Paso TX. Is a really good company but management and HR department makes this company a horrible place to work.
Pros
Good company
Cons
Terrible management
Good work
Lead Operator (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 28, 2017
Very stressfull, good compasations Company has a lot of future, hope work many more years here, .....................................................
Pros
Good compabsation
Cons
Streeful
good place to work
Quality Assurance Inspector (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYJuly 26, 2017
My manager was really understanding everyone one there is really nice. They are really easy to work with and they don't try to stress you out if you enjoy an easy job that would be the place
productive and fun workplace
assembly production tech (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, KYJuly 23, 2017
great place to work, pay should have been better but it paid the bills., office personal and human resource was very helpful with work and everyday situations.
Pros
mon - fri. work week
Cons
moved morgantown plant to mexico
laid back crew but serious business
Operator (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYJune 22, 2017
dont really know how to describe it. it was different every day i went in to work. gave it an exciting component. but all together random as well. overall i liked it
Pros
breaks often
Cons
long boring shifts
Fast paced and interesting.
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, KYApril 3, 2017
This job was very interesting. My supervisor was great and so was our shift manager. We built the fuse boxes for various vehicles, so it was interesting and pretty cool to say the least. The only negative thing I'd say about this place was the pay. We were expected at minimum to produce 750-1000 assembled boxes per line, per shift. And we were told that every minute they didn't have a fuse box, they didn't have a 20,000 dollar vehicle going off the line. Needless to say maybe a little more than 9.75 an hour would have been nice since some weeks we had no days off and overtime was a regular occurrence.
Customer based
Operator (Current Employee) –  Scottsville, KYMarch 5, 2017
Depending on time of year, you may be steady or far behind. Workload can be heavy, but not unobtainable. Morale is very low, so some days seem longer than others.
No opportunity for advancement.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYFebruary 19, 2017
It is a dead end job. Temporarys get promotions before the full time associates. You either have to know somebody, be a suck up, or quit and come back as a temporary worker in a great position to get a good job. The harder you work the less recognition you get. Make one mistake and they will write you up.
Pros
Good co workers, decent starting pay.
Cons
Almost impossible to advance.
Productive and clean enviroment
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, KYFebruary 14, 2017
Made fuse boxes for car panel
Productive and clean environment
Enjoyable part was the people i worked with
Management was strict but fair
Pros
Loving coworkers
Cons
short breaks
Long long time ago
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIDecember 7, 2016
I hear that the company has a lot more employees since when I was there. I really loved working there. I enjoyed lab work especially. I have learned a lot about electric wiring stuff and automotive industry. Good experience.
Pros
Good people