Sumitomo Electric Wiring Systems, Inc. Employee Reviews

A Bad Company with Poor Management and a Terrible Work Culture
Engineer (Former Employee) –  MichiganJuly 20, 2018
Sumitomo is a bad company to work for due to a variety of reasons. Management (which is mostly Japanese) in particular is quite bad because they don't provide any meaningful support. Many of the employees don't work well together and customers can be rather difficult to work with. Pay is low comparatively speaking although the benefits package is not bad. Advancement opportunities for Americans is very limited.
Pros
Benefits were decent
Cons
Bad management, low salary, low job security, limited advancement for Americans, favoritism for Japanese (and against Americans), poor treatment by customers, etc.
Sumitomo is a fine place to work but advancement and job security is horrible nonetheless .
WareHouse Machine Manufacturer (Former Employee) –  San Marcos, CAMay 23, 2018
The only main thing about Sumitomo is the fact that job security is horrible . It seems like they keep you for a week or two than let you go but this nonetheless is not surprising at all . The funny thing is that the management is extremely lenient .. everyone is on the get in get out environment which is great . Job security is bad .. work schedule is good .. Job advancement is also bad .. On top of all this .. NO OVERTIME . Bummer .
Pros
Nice work .
Cons
No overtime what so ever . At all .
Good company, with room to advance
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, KYSeptember 24, 2018
I enjoyed my tenure at Sumitomo. Despite being such a large corporation, Sumitomo has a very personal, caring environment. It can be very competitive, as there are ample opportunities to advance
Awsome, Relax, Enjoyable
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Scottsville, KYDecember 8, 2018
Great people to work with and its climate controlled great retirement easy to get along with everyone awesome bonus work uniforms are paid for and cool Leaders and Coordinators and shift premiums
Pros
Benifits, Easy, Not Stressful, Climate Controlled
Cons
Hours you start and End
Sumitomo for me was a great job to have. However management should take into consideration job stability.
Quality Assurance Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, KYMay 19, 2018
I was laid off after working at SEWS for nearly two years and was devastated. I was a Quality Control Leader, and to top off everything, along with several others I was laid off close to Christmas. Human Resources told me to reapply in 30 days and I would be hired again, but as a single mother of two children I could not risk not knowing whether or not I would have job stability. Which is an important asset to me.
Pros
Co-Workers become family, employees get plenty of training, its an air conditioned environment, and as far as manufacturing goes it was the cleanest factory I have worked at.
Cons
You are not guaranteed job stability, Seniority has job stability, if last to be hired first to be laidoff
good place to work just very fast paced
Packer (Former Employee) –  Marysville, OHMay 15, 2018
hard part is heavy parts and fast paced but its good management friendly people. They are very patient while training you and will work with you on your speed for improvement .
Pros
friendly, fun
Cons
pay, health care
Assembly department is so stupid
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYMarch 25, 2018
They “train” you for a week with a full time that hardly wants to teach you about the robots, they just say push this push that without explaining what went wrong then after being “trained” they expect you to know it wall when you have to run multiple robots, you have to wear an unnecessary bump cap that makes your head sweat a lot, if you go threw temp you’ll get paid like $9 and full time are making $13, still not worth it especially if they got you running 4-6 machines a night! This place is horrible especially Assembly dept. It’s a dead job
Pros
Co workers are cool
Cons
Stressful easily get write ups
good
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, KYJune 21, 2018
sumitomo is a good place to work with nice people. the hours are nice, you still have time to enjoy your day, its not too stressful, the best part is the people, the worst part is the pay if youre not afull time employee
Pros
the work enviroment
Cons
getting started
productive and fun
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, KYMarch 4, 2018
it was a fun place to work. made many friends . Always enjoyed going to work. Facility was close to home, so not much travel. I learned how fuse boxes for vehicles were made.
Pros
fun place
Cons
management
Productive, awesome company , takes care of employees
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXDecember 19, 2017
One of the best companies I’ve worked for!
Benefits are great!
Life insurance
401k
Blue cross insurance
Dental
Vision
Although I was forced to quit, due to the fact that I had to deal with unprofessional engineers that resides on their job title and not their profesional experience , and because of how rude they were. But the company was just awesome !
Great benefits
CNC Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, PAFebruary 1, 2018
Overall great place to work. Excellent benefits and paid time off. Great pay to. Factory I was employed by relocated to Mexico we were offered severance pay and paid college
Design and build wire harnesses for Honda, Toyota and GM
Drafting Technician (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYMay 15, 2013
Altogether an OK place to work, the only thing I didn't enjoy was having to fill out paperwork for every mistake that I made. I understand that my mistakes needed to be brought to my attention, but I didn't feel it necessary to fill out paperwork as to why the mistake was made as well as steps I chose to take to ensure it wouldn't happen again. I understand management wanted to know these things, but I felt that it was enough to show me the mistake I made, and I would take steps to insure it wouldn't happen again without having to write it down and turn it in. All in all it was a good job, I learned a lot about IHS, the design and build process as well as what a drafting job entails. There were advancement opportunities, you could move up to a level 2 or 3 tech. There were signs of favoritism from my boss, nothing to do with me, just something I noticed toward a few of the other techs. My job entailed checking drawings for mistakes, doing design changes as well as doing new drawings. My coworkers were great, I noticed some would take advantage of getting away with certain things that others would not, but very friendly people, I made quite a few friends I still keep in contact with. The hardest part of the job for me was distinguishing what functions would go into a design from studying the function matrix, the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that once the job was completed, my harness would be installed into a Honda vehicle.
Benefits
Cons
My boss
Back in High school
In-line Inspector (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYMarch 2, 2018
I felt like I was in high school most of the time, you had your "clicks" that you had to put up with, there were the QA that looked down on everyone, the in-line QA and the machine techs that tried to keep a balance between everyone, the full time operators and the Temps.
Pros
benifets
Cons
Hr
Stressful place
** (Former Employee) –  **January 7, 2016
The benefits are good but the amount of workload and resposibilities for the pay is not worth it. Too much falls in your hand and you dont have job security if you are new. Less time with the family and lots of time at work.
Benefits
Cons
Less time with family
very productive company
Forklift Operator? team lead (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXDecember 7, 2015
this very good place to start a career, staff is great, they will train you with alot of commitment. this a japanese company but they treat you great. great pay and benefits.
Managers are unrespectful and corrupts
Traffic (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXOctober 1, 2017
I worked for Sumitomo for almost 5 years in El Paso TX. Is a really good company but management and HR department makes this company a horrible place to work.
Pros
Good company
Cons
Terrible management
Good pay and benefits
QA Lead (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYOctober 9, 2017
You will get good pay and benefits here. It is very fast paced but expect to work a lot of hours and plenty of overtime. Very very strict and emmaculate factory.
No opportunity for advancement.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, KYFebruary 19, 2017
It is a dead end job. Temporarys get promotions before the full time associates. You either have to know somebody, be a suck up, or quit and come back as a temporary worker in a great position to get a good job. The harder you work the less recognition you get. Make one mistake and they will write you up.
Pros
Good co workers, decent starting pay.
Cons
Almost impossible to advance.
No room for growth
Design and Release Engineer (Former Employee) –  Northville, MIJune 11, 2017
Its been a few years, but very little room for growth, especially for women. A Master's Degree isn't recognized. I asked for a salary increase after I received it and was told that it isn't necessary for me to have a Master's degree for my job.
Its a very nice place to start as an intern, very helpful with school schedule.
Wire harness designer (Current Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIMarch 24, 2017
Nicely organized, the management team is very understanding. HR tries to bust the moral of the employees by organizing ping ping competitions and giving incentives.