Summa Health Employee Reviews

Friendly, knowledgeable employees in all departments
SENIOR ADMINISTRATIVE SECRETARY (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHOctober 4, 2018
Summa Health is an amazing place to work. The employees are extremely friendly, compassionate, and well trained to provide excellent service/care to patients and families.
Pros
An environment of teamwork
Cons
Employee parking
Great People
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 21, 2018
Your Co-Workers are wonderful. Usually a great manager that will work with you. A typical day usually starts out a little chaotic, but can usually be turned around rather quickly. If you are as lucky as I you will find yourself on a floor with a bunch of team players and that makes the night go much smoother.
Unfair conditions
Medical Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHSeptember 9, 2018
Management plays favorites with staff - some are able to do what they want and come and go as they please while others have to follow policy and procedures. Seems the harder your work the less you are appreciated.
Pros
hours
Cons
lack of advancement
productive
OR Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHAugust 13, 2018
Work is very busy, time flies by quick. Staff are very friendly and very supportive of each other. It is a place of change- I learn something new everyday, catching up is not easy but its for a better.
Pros
free coffee and crackers
Cons
no breaks
Too many changes and lay-offs. Management was not supportive
Senior Strategist, Development (Former Employee) –  East Market Street, Akron, OHJuly 20, 2018
With the lay-offs - title, compensation, and PTO were affected, which was unfair. The company had too much drama, too many challenges, and are in limbo right now.
An excellent place to work
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Barberton, OHJuly 20, 2018
Many opportunities, a good work environment, and wonderful benefits. Clock in on time, do your work which is always explained, with good training, do a good job and you will be rewarded. Summa offers diversity and a multitude of different types of job opportunities available for anyone with or without college degrees.
Hospital environment - I loved my time at Summa Health System
Radiology Medical transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 19, 2018
I worked for quite a while at Summa Health System. I worked for wonderful doctors, about 12 of them and became very good at doing transcription. I was a trainer/proofreader for new transcriptionists and was part of the review committee that determined when a new employee was accurate enough to not be QA'd/proofread anymore.

When I worked in Surgical Services, I learned so much and worked with great people. Being a unit secretary was a quick paced, very interactive job and I loved it.
Pros
My familiarity with my work and the hospital.
Currently stressful . Undergoing lots of changes
Hospice Aide (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJuly 17, 2018
I have worked in the Summa network both in the hospital and as field staff. I love providing care for patients as well as their families. As of late there are structural changes that have both positive and negative affects on our staff.
Pros
Field staff. More autonomous
Cons
Joint venture causing too many changes
Pleasant work environment
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 22, 2018
Everyone I worked with was friendly and very helpful. I felt welcome and enjoyed the work environment. I was a summer intern and really enjoyed working there
Pros
Friendly work environment
Cons
I was an intern so i wasn't there long
Great Place to Work
After Hours Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 16, 2018
Summa affords many opportunities to their nurses and gives them autonomy and respect. The benefits are excellent and they promote health and wellness in the workplace and the community. You will work hard but have tremendous support from engaged managers and every resource at your disposal.
Pros
lots of options and resources
Cons
very large organization, you can get lost
It was an okay position
Central Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 12, 2018
This place I did learn a lot about the scheduling aspect of the job. It made me want to drive and be more motivated in learning this position. I didn't have to many complaints.
Pros
The people
Cons
na
Desire for growth and convenience
ROCC-radiation oncology certified coder/auditor (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHJune 8, 2018
I am looking for a new position to work remotely from home that has more challenges. I am a hard worker and feel that I need to stretch myself. I would love to offer my skill set.
Pros
Good work enviornment
Cons
Not convenient commuting 78 miles a day.
Its a good place
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 31, 2018
Summa is a decent place, just like all work places there are some dislike able people. I found that there were some staff there didn't care about patient care and only about the money but that also every hospital
The office I work for is an upbeat office
Clinical Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 25, 2018
The office I work for is AMAZING! I have been with the doctors quite a while and feel like it is my second family. We have excellent team work and promote patient safety and care.
Cons
In the position I work currently, there is no advancement.
Steady, sometimes hetic days
Call Center Operations (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 24, 2018
Work day consist of us sitting in our seats for 8 hours a day taking call after call sometimes dealing with hostile patients. Did not care for the job
Lots of variety
Medical Contractor/Abstractor (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 17, 2018
Any given week can change as far as duties and projects. Sometimes it take a lot of concentration, other projects are fillers until another real one begins. Although I have worked with Epic before, I entered a whole new territory of the software, along with tapping into other software that I had never heard of before my contractual employment with Summa Health System.
Except for my project manager during previous project in Akron two years ago, I have never had a better manager than the one at Summa Health. She is very encouraging, supportive, fair-minded, driven, and you want to do your very best for her.
The hardest part of the job is waiting for IT to give the go-ahead in accessing new software in order to begin working on another project. The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-worker, my manager, and the relaxed atmosphere.
Pros
An excellent manager, great co-worker, beautiful facility, a long-term project
Cons
The commute, low salary, and sometimes waiting an interminable amount of time for IT.
I loved my co workers
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OHMay 11, 2018
My bosses were never there for me and i was never fully trained. I was the only supervisor for over 6 months and they never offered me help until the end. The person they sent to help caused all kinds of problems with my staff and i told them i no longer want her there and they said i refused help and let me go for "poor work performances'.
That was not the case and they just wanted her in that position because they were all friends and had worked together in the past.
Not a great place anymore.
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Barberton, OHMay 7, 2018
Poor management and decision making lead Summa down a bad path.

Summa will often pay their senior employees low wages comparatively, and lie about it when compared to other salaries.

They also continue to lay people off.
Pros
Cons
Poor Management, Poor Pay, Poor Facilities.
A great work environment
Patient Access Liaison (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHMay 3, 2018
In my department, management is great! Environment is wonderful to work at. The job can be stressful at times but what job isn't, right? The job has taught me to be precise and to pay attention to details because this determines an estimate of what insurance will cover and how much patient would have to pay out of pocket.
Used to be a wonderful company to work for
System Director (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 27, 2018
Working conditions and amount of work were reasonable. Peers and teams were cohesive and teams were easy to form and work with.

The hardest part of the job was the instability. Reductions occur about every 90-120 days. Makes every employee sit on pins and needles.
Pros
Great benefits, competitive salary, great co workers
Cons
Instability of company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Summa Health. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.6Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight