Summer Discovery

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Overall satisfaction

Perfect experience for future educators and leaders

Working as a Residential Counselor, you get all the perks that the student campers receive. You feel like more than just their babysitter. It is a wonderful opportunities filled with many experiences along the way. A day in the life of an RC includes waking up for a team meeting, getting all the students out of bed, eating breakfast, setting up activities across the assigned campus/city, exploring different parts of the city, seeing all the sights, and hanging out with your students and workmates. You get it all within your work community.

Pros

Paid living and meals

Cons

Small pay for big commitment

Great learning experience

Great learning environment, gained a ton of new friends, and loved being able to understand different cultures. Work schedule was made week by week. Had the chance of planning off campus trips and on campus events to engage the students.

Spectacular for College Seniors - Graduates

My experience working for summer discovery was a brilliant one. It was a delight to work with so many amazing students and it was wonderful to have the opportunity to guide them through their days. We organized events for them, walked them to their classes, handled roommate and conflict issues, managed the office where we talk to parents of the students, and much more. There are challenges working with younger students. You need to be very aware of the way you act, speak, and conduct yourself. It's very much a fishbowl effect. You are to set an example and that isn't always an easy thing to do especially when dealing with students who may try your patience. You must have a level head and conduct yourself with professionalism and know how to handle stressful situations. My summer working for this company was one of the best work experiences I've ever had. I would recommend this job (at any of their locations) for anyone who loves to work with students and be a mentor.

Nice relaxed fun job

Nice relaxed fun job with perks and sight seeing. Most activities are paid for by the company. Has fun teaching teens certain things about life. I would do it again

For young college students

Not the job for people seeking full time careers. Perfect for young college students that need something to do for the summer to experience a place that they have never been to.

Pros

Adventure, daily tasks

Cons

low pay

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

fun job....but that pay!

I fail to understand how this company can legally get away with paying its staff so little. I did the math once and figured I was earning slightly over $3 per hour. The kids are fun and some directors are great (some are beyond incompetent...I've had both) but this job is only for those who already have their finances in order. This job will not pay ANY bills.

It was really fun. The people are awesome and it is a great way to connect with kids and fellow peers. A typical day consisted of coming in around 7 to set up and then signing in the kids. After the kids are signed in you just do your designated job for the day.

Amazing Summer Job

Summer Discovery is the perfect place to gain experience working with children at an academic oriented summer program. All of the employees are wonderful and get along well. Summer Discovery allows you to experience new things, go on new adventures, and learn from a diverse group of people. Wish I could work there forever!

Pros

Room, board, meals, and program activities all included

Cons

Long days and nights

Helping out my after school program during my summers

Helping kids with activities was both fun and challenging, I often had to motivate kids into doing required tasks and solve minor squabbles between them.

Great learning environment

It was early mornings and late nights. The day was filled with exciting activities and bonding time. There is a lot that has to been done in order for the program to run but it is worth it because the children have an amazing time and experience something completely new.

Fun place to work

Great opportunity to meet and develop relationships with students and co-workers from different multicultural backgrounds through allowing high school students to get a college experience

Great Job

Although it is not the best salary the perks and staff are so much more than anything I could have expected. Boston is a great place to work, but the whole company seems very well run.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Summer Discovery. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.5