Summit Information Resources Employee Reviews in Eagan, MN

Train wreck
NA (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 17, 2019
Operations management is a complete joke. This is the most mismanaged and unorganized company I've ever worked for. You are nothing to them unless you work in sales. The turnover is so high they could install a revolving door. Bringing up issues to HR gets you nowhere. For over a year now everyone has known what the main problem is and nothing has been done about it. The employees are disgruntled for a reason. There's a lot more than a couple of them
Pros
Cons
Leadership team
Enjoyable place to work. You get what you put in!
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 15, 2019
I've worked for some awful people in the past, so when I came to Summit it was a huge relief to discover there are still good companies out there.

I refer to Summit as "the perfect mix" to friends and family. Management is involved, but not to the point of breathing down your neck. It's fast-paced enough to keep me motivated, yet I never feel overly stressed. Staff is goal-oriented and take their roles seriously, but they know how to keep the work environment fun.

When I sought out a new job a year ago, I wanted to find a company where I would enjoy my day-to-day and feel like I was working for (and with) genuinely good people. I've found that at Summit. I think it also says something that a lot of staff have been here 5-10+ years. I've only seen a couple people leave for personal reasons, or not being able to perform to their best ability.

Core values are important, so if you are someone who has a problem being a team player, versatile or driven, you probably won't do well here. Summit is growing a lot, so you do need some patience when it comes to new processes. Sometimes management gets tied up, but for the most part you can rely on any of your coworkers. You truly get out what you put in here.

Overall, I genuinely feel cared for as an employee. Management has been flexible with me and does what they can to help me grow and be happy here. If you want more of a close-knit family atmosphere, Summit is a great fit.
Pros
Flexibility, management trusts you to own your role, awesome coworkers, friendly sales competitions, occasional free lunch, early release on Summer Fridays, great location...
Cons
Some might say too much communication, some aspects of the industry are out of our control...
Good place to start your inside sales career
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 10, 2019
Overall, management was great. My manager was a wealth of knowledge and really put his best foot forward to help his team succeed.
The culture when I first started was great, everyone worked together well, and I enjoyed beer Fridays.
Summit was a great place to work, the summer hours were amazing, and the management would try to help everyone succeed.
The hard part of inside sales is keeping up moral as you "smile and dial" during cold calls. There will be days that you only talk to voicemails, but thats the name of the game with inside sales.
You get a lot of autonomy working here, the sales goals were laid out very well and clear.
Ultimately, I ended up leaving due to my performance. I wasnt hitting my quotas and ended up finding another role outside of Summit that is a better use of my skill set.
Pros
Summer hours, Management, Owner, Staff is amazing
Cons
Getting leads, CRM system was flawed, Marketing not pulling in enough traffic
Micro-manage
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 2, 2019
The culture has changed dramatically since the new ops replacement. I would not recommend for anyone who seeks a friendly and non micro manage environment. You will work your 8 hours but OT is almost a never even if you ask just to earn a little more. Advancement is very very limited especially within the warehouse. PTO is something that is good and also the group of front office. Only downfall is the opm being super micro manage to everyone in the back.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Micro manage
May 9, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. While we’ve been intentional in our selection and retention of our company’s leaders, we thoroughly investigate all concerns. One thing we pride ourselves on is providing our employees with exceptional work-life balance, which would be why overtime is not the norm. Thank you again for your feedback and we wish you the best in your next endeavor!

Worst Managment Around
Sales (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNApril 7, 2019
When you are a company of less than 40 employee's and in less than a 24 month span 27 employee's have come and gone, that set's the stage of what working at Summit is like. Summit has long prided itself on "Great Culture" "Relaxed work environment" and being recognized as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work for by Minnesota Business Magazine.Unfortunately,there is not a list of awful places to work for,this would certainly describe why so many people come and go from this mess. The culture is fun if you are ready to head back to 10th grade and want to relive those High School Clicks. And about a relaxed work environment, its anything but. You see what happened is they have this manager there who does not have a clue what he is doing, Everyone there cannot stand this person and this explains the turnover that they have. You put one or two bad managers in charge of day to day operations and you have a disaster. By far the worst management I have seen. Its a shame also,because a lot of the people who left were really part of what made Summit good early on. Its unfortunate that the owner and the President lost there vision and put there trust in a Manager who is doing his best to ruin what the owner has worked so hard to build and they don't see that. Remember this review after you get hired and it will all start to make sense.
April 12, 2019

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and concerns. I am sorry to hear about your poor experience working at Summit. While everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I would be in error to agree with your generalizations. As a team, we place an incredibly strong emphasis on our core values and ensuring that we have the right people and they are in the right seats. Because of this, I have the utmost trust and confidence in our leadership team and managers and their ability to align their work with my vision.

I truly wish that everyone who has come and gone from this company would walk away with positive feelings and a great experience, however, I understand that is wishful thinking. My belief for both business and life is that if you’re not growing/improving, you’re going backwards. Growth, for companies and individuals (many times employees outgrow companies), often means change, and change can be difficult and painful! In either (company or individual) case, growth must happen regardless of the difficulty and sacrifice. No matter what, I place a strong value on the relationships I’ve built with present and past employees.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts. We take all criticism very seriously and discuss it thoroughly. I wish you the best and hope that your next endeavor is a better fit for you and what you’re looking for.

Dick Noble
Owner/ Founder

What happened
N/A (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMarch 6, 2019
Bad upper management. Lack of training. Poor communication. Low morale. High turnover rate. Sales have plummeted. New computer system is a disaster. All of this in just 18 months.
Pros
Time off
March 12, 2019

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback. We value strong communication and are always looking for opportunities to improve, so we appreciate you sharing your thoughts and are sorry you feel the way you do. As we’re finishing up the new system implementation, we’re working on thoroughly training all employees to use the system as a tool to assist in their daily work.

Additionally, we hope and truly believe our employees recognize that we’re growing as a company, which is exciting, but also means there may be changes that take place to support the growth. Thank you for your feedback and we wish you the best in your next endeavor.

Just okay
n/a (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 26, 2018
Completely different than it was less than a year ago. Management changes have made it that way. No promoting from within. People considering leaving. Sad to see what was a nice place to work turn into just another job. Growing is good but the employees shouldn't have to suffer in order for that to happen.
Pros
Summer hours
Cons
Grow with a great company
Sales (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 24, 2018
As a growing small business, Summit offers a rare opportunity for employees to be promoted from within and grow with the company. While still providing the same great benefits you expect from a large corporation.

They pride themselves on being a great place to work. This has created a friendly, collaborative work environment where employees opinions and ideas are welcomed and valued.
Pros
Growth Opportunities, Compensation
August 3, 2018

Thank you so much for your kind review! We love being able to provide growth and advancement opportunities for our employees. We’re glad to hear you’re happy with the environment and culture within our organization and wish you continued success in your position.

Great Pay
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 24, 2018
I've been an Account Executive at Summit for almost 4 years. I've tripled my business in the last couple years and I've been greatly rewarded for it. If you're willing to put your time and effort in you will be successful here.
Pros
High Commission, Family Atmosphere
August 3, 2018

Thank you for your positive review! We’re glad to hear you’ve been able to have a successful career here, as we place a high value on keeping Summit a great place to work and do business with! We wish you continued success with Summit.

A great place to work for driven people
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 23, 2018
I currently work in a sales role at Summit. Things have changed a lot over the last five years as the company has over doubled in size, creating a lot of new opportunities including; more time off, increased marketing budget and sales support, flexible work schedule, hiring excellent techs and warehouse employees, and better processes /systems.

If you want to show up, work hard, and be compensated accordingly this is the place for you.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, time off, compensation
August 3, 2018

Thank you for your great review! Just like you, we recognize that change can bring more opportunities and positive perks to the workplace. We appreciate all our employees and strive to keep the driven, supportive culture we’ve worked hard to create. We wish you nothing but the best as you continue your career with Summit!

Not the same
N/A (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNJuly 12, 2018
New management is pushing quantity over quality. Used to have a nice relaxed culture. Now it's all about the numbers. Morale is non-existent. Micromanaging is not how you get good results. Employees feel like they're being punished for no reason. Some are being told that they make too much money. The atmosphere is full of uncomfortable tension. No one feels appreciated anymore. If they let everyone in the company vote, they probably wouldn't make the list of best companies to work for.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Micromanagement
July 25, 2018

Dear Reviewer,

We appreciate your honest feedback and are sorry to hear you feel this way. While we recognize that change to our culture is inevitable as we grow, we work hard to keep the strong, family-like vibe that we’ve strived to create.

Please know that any management changes have been put into place, with thought, to help us be the best business we can be. Luckily, we’ve also been able to hire highly qualified employees we can trust, which has allowed us to focus on further developing, rather than micromanaging them. When being considered for the 100 Best Companies to Work For, all full-time employees are eligible and encouraged to place their vote. Just as we appreciate honest feedback, we also appreciate our employees and do our best to show it! A few ways this can be seen is through our various company-supported functions, generous PTO & paid holidays, and flexible work hours.

Aside from the concerns you raised, we are happy to hear that you are pleased with the benefits we offer! Should you have further concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our HR department, or you can reach me at 651-905-6000.

Michele Embacher, President

Going Downhill
na (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJune 27, 2018
This company has made some drastic management changes in the past year that has caused almost all employees to question their continued employment with Summit. Many have already left or are currently looking. It is sad, because this was a fantastic place to work up until the past year.
Pros
Associates open and approachable
Cons
Bad management changes
July 17, 2018

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review our company. Summit Information Resources is genuinely sorry to hear there was a negative experience with some of the recent changes we’ve implemented. None of these decisions were made hastily and without careful consideration. Our Leadership Team is constantly striving to make Summit a great place to work. Sometimes, those steps involve making significant changes to the structure, processes and/or culture. We know we can’t please everyone, but a lot of time and energy is put into considering what is best for the business as a whole. These efforts are shown through our 5-year streak as a member of the 100 Best Companies to Work For in MN. Without specific scenarios, it is difficult to address exactly which changes are being seen as harmful; however, please know we are listening and appreciate the feedback.

Should there be any further issues you would like to address, we welcome the conversation. You can reach me at 651-905-6000.

Michele Embacher, President

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Summit Information Resources. Our community is ready to answer.