Summit Oaks Hospital Employee Reviews

Featured review
Summit Oaks Hospital selected this as a representative review
Great Place to Work!
Mental Health Associate (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJMarch 29, 2019
I have worked at Summit Oaks Hospital for 3 years now and am very happy with the culture. The new administration has implemented a lot of changes that have helped make the facility run more smoothly. There have been new changes to incorporate leadership in Mental Health Associate positions and also in RN positions. In addition, a lot of the cosmetic changes help to make the units look more inviting to patients. I do not think I will be leaving Summit Oaks for a long time. The people at this facility are kind, generous, and welcoming.
Pros
the staff
Cons
N/a
This is a "hit it and quite it" type of job.
Mental Health Associate (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJNovember 30, 2019
CON: This place is literally trash. Literally, the garbage's are overflowing with trash daily. There are strained housekeeping staff. They continuously put patient satisfaction over staff safety. 1 mental health worker per 24 severely mentally ill patients who have been at this facility a million times. Patients literally get discharged and readmitted within the same day. Only 30 minute breaks after doing 8 hours of Q15's. Always short staffed. About 80% female staff. No security. Always asking for overtime and incoming shift is ALWAYS late; 15 minutes to about 2 hours late.

PRO: Hands on experience working with persons with mental illness.

This is the type of job you get your experience and leave as soon as you can.
Don’t do it
MENTAL HEALTH ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJAugust 26, 2019
Unless you like chaos, don’t work there. There’s crisis happening every day there and money is not great. No room for advancement and nurses treat MHAs like servants.
Not a place you want to work for
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJAugust 22, 2019
Summit Oaks has no organization skills from Management, they fire people from there very quickly for unreasonable issues, Management allows a lot of unfair things to be permitted.
Very good place to work
Mental Health Assistant (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJJuly 19, 2019
I have gotten a lot of human service experience there and I have learned a lot relating to mental health and disable individuals tying to regain their life back
good
good
excellent staff, bad management
Mental Health Associate (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJJune 28, 2019
no support from upper management, overworked and understaffed, bad patient to staff ratios. patients were placed on units that they were inappropriate for
Pros
good coworkers
Cons
understaffed, low pay
Hospital settings
MENTAL HEALTH ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJMay 22, 2019
There is always something to do, and there are always patients in need. Must be firm with patients while also being polite and always willing to help.
Pros
Everyday is different and a learning experience.
Cons
Some shifts were a struggle but if you work with the right team you can make a real difference.
A great place to work for but unfortunately not a lot of room to grow
Recreational Tech/ Mental Health Associates (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJMarch 12, 2019
My review of working at some of those has been very supportive I enjoy working with the patients I enjoy what I do but having a bachelor's in recreational therapy I feel I could be working well with young children and families and assisting in therapy I am currently looking at continuing my cadc I have a lot of experience in the bachelor's degree and 5 years experience in the mental health field is the mha and recreational therapist
Pros
Grey Towers in great people and wonderful patient
Cons
Unfortunately understaffed. Underpaid
Ping Pong is for the patients only
License Senior Counselor/ Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJJanuary 2, 2019
I begin work at 7:00
I see pt. to complete a psychosocial assessment.
I facilitate group therapy/Educational Didactic, and Addiction Group.
I complete progress notes
I set up continuum care for the pt.
I complete discharge summary

The work place culture in not cooperative when dealing with the Medical Health Assistance (MHA)

The management is not there on the weekend and there appears to be not room for advancement.

I should be paid more for my credentials and experience.

At times it's difficult at times to deal with pt. that are resistance to treatment and become non-compliant to the rules and policies.

The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the pt. with continuum care to address their substance use disorder/mental health problem.
Pros
I am the social worker in charge of both detox and rehab unit
Cons
I no room for advancement and not being paid enough
It is a great place to work Per Diem.
Creative Arts Therapist (Per Diem) (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJDecember 17, 2018
If you can go in and know what you doing for your groups, you are set. The staff is very supportive and help each other out. When the staff has time to interact with each other there is a friendly atmosphere. The patients are usually respectful and agreeable. I have learned to be prepared for my groups and it usually means I have a smooth group.
Pros
great staff
Cons
per diem- no benefits
Orientation will fool you...
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJDecember 11, 2018
Worst place I have ever worked. The management is all new they do not advocate for their staff nurses. The nurses here do not really do anything except pass meds. They do not interact with the patients. The staff are not consistent with the patients. The patients have a lot of down time where they are doing nothing. The turn over rate of nurses is ridiculous. No one stays long. Their orientation makes them look like a great company to work for but they aren’t?
some caring staff trying to help the pts but were limited
RN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJOctober 7, 2018
Once was a great place to be, but that was a long time ago. Now it is money making [always was] limited programs for the pts.
Constant turnover on all levels except HR, he seems to stay, but what about the rest of the place?
Employee safety is not important, much needed training.
Good people just don't stay, or some do because they need a job and have no choice.
Little compassion for pts and employees.
Who is running this ship???
Pros
good if they like you
Cons
safety, training, lack of compassion
What I learned
Intern (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJAugust 20, 2018
I learned that working in the hospital environment is quick paced and requires a collaborative effort. Your day is never set, although there will be deadlines to which you must adhere.
Pros
Supervision Available
Cons
No Benefits for Part Time
Internship
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJJune 27, 2018
Great internship for clinical social work
Great supervisor
Clean facility
Friendly and supportive staff
Productive work with lots of structure (no inconsistent days like one day is sitting doing nothing and the next is 40 things to do)
Pros
Great environment to work in with clean facilities.
Cons
Not a paid internship
Too many changes at once
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJJune 23, 2018
Recently we are transitioning into 2 12 hr shifts & 2 8 hr shifts, while also learning a new computer system. Between this and the management and staff always changing it's very hard to concentrate on providing care to patients. Nurse to patient ratios are ridiculous (12:1) and we are not compensated enough monetarily. The only positive thing is that the staff are usually welcoming.
Unorganized work place
Mental Health Associate (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJMay 8, 2018
Management is very unfair and unprofessional, they show a lot of favoritism to certain staff. They have hired new people for positions that they claimed seasoned staff could have first grabs on.
Pros
Cons
barley get to take breaks
Genuine care for patients.
Art Therapist (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJMarch 13, 2018
Staff was wonderful to work with - definitely saw the progress in patients well being. Pay could be better for services delivered. Overall, not a bad experience.
Pros
Staff cohesiveness.
Cons
Communication between departments.
Difficult but rewarding
Discharge Planner, Court Liaison, Patient Liaison (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJJanuary 5, 2018
The hospital is a difficult place to work but can be rewarding. The job itself is challenging, but the people that you work with make it all worth it.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
short staffing
Summit Jokes
Mental Health Associate (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJDecember 22, 2017
Poor staffing, no resources for staff, dangerous place to work. This was the first job i got out of college and i will never come back here to work again.
Pros
staff was cool
Cons
Poor management
Wouldn't recommend working here
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Summit, NJDecember 13, 2017
They lied to me about the shift they were putting me on. They then hired a brand new nurse who came right out of school months later for the position I was hired for. They just tell you what you want to hear and do whats the best for them. They are always short staffed and no one is there to relieve you for breaks. Most of the time they just have extra MHAs to relive each other and no one is there to relieve the nurses. The supervisors are very rude and not helpful.
Pros
Cons
under staffed, never get breaks
understaff
Nursing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Summit, NJJuly 22, 2017
Staffing of these 5 units needs a lot of improvement.
Employees does stay long, staff feels overworked and under paid and are exposed to high violence rate.
Working environment not pleasant.
Some staff were hired and are very unprofessional
Pros
empathetic staff
Cons
staffing ratio

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Summit Oaks Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8