SummitRidge Hospital Employee Reviews

Featured review
SummitRidge Hospital selected this as a representative review
Patient Care and Customer Service Excellence is Priority
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAFebruary 15, 2019
I have been a RN at SummitRidge now for about a year. I have worked at other facilities in the area, but I consider SummitRidge home. I enjoy the other nurses and techs I work with. It’s a family environment where we work together for our patients. Recently, they have moved to twelve hour shifts which really helps me with my work life balance as I try to go back to school for my masters. Pay is reasonable with other psych hospitals in the area. The nurses here are pretty diverse with backgrounds in med/surg and psych, but they have a good preceptor program that brought me up to speed in about 2 weeks. It is very fast paced with lots to learn in this environment if you are willing to take on the challenge. My day consists of nursing assessments, passing meds, admissions and discharges. There are opportunities to advance; from nurse supervisor to ADON, up to DON. You will be kept busy and given opportunities to work with different populations such as adult, geri, and adolescents. SummitRidge has made great progress in the past six months. They just passed Joint Commission in January, and management communication with supervisors and directors is good. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with and trying to make a difference in the lives of my patients and SummitRidge has helped me grow as a nurse. I am more understanding of mental illness and being able to help patients recover and go back into the community makes it a very rewarding job.
Pros
Fun events and family environment
SummitRidge
Assessment Counselor (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJuly 7, 2019
Fast paced environment. Majority of staff have worked there a really long time so it’s hard to change or fix anything with new ideas. Management is elusive, all staff are genuinely helpful. Hardest part of job is being expected to perform with little training. Most enjoyable part of the job is helping patients.
Horrible
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJune 25, 2019
Awful place to work. No one cares about the employees. Everyone always have an attitude. The administrative staff is like the movie "MEAN GIRLS" The new Director of Nursing is ghetto. Her name really fits her.
Pros
Nice Summitridge shirt
Run
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJune 4, 2019
Always understaffed, slave wages, no raises, no respect, things happen at the hospital and no one is notified until someone complains, state regulations are constantly overlooked and dismissed as long as the hospital is getting paid. AWFUL Experience!!!!!
Pros
There are always hours
Cons
High turnover rate
Poor place to work.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GA 30046May 18, 2019
I did not get what I needed from my internship as I was expected to do the work of the people that were employed full time at the hospital. It was unfair.
not a safe place to work
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Atlanta GaApril 24, 2019
It is not a fun place to work.Very chaotic environment, the hardest part of the job we always short on staff. and turnover is high. most of staff has two jobs.
Pros
free lunch for the doctors and management
Cons
short break
Fast Paced Environment
Chart Analyst/Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAApril 3, 2019
My time at Summit Ridge Hospital was very fast paced. From day to day I did not know what it would entail due to the facility servicing the mentally ill and substance abusers. At any given time there could be a situation where I would have to stop working and attend to a crisis. My co-workers were great team players and we communicated with each other very well.
Fast Paced, Confusing and Unorganized
Intake Counselor PRN (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 25, 2019
Love the work, but the intake department is small and makes training difficult. The company was experiencing a lot of changes, therefore, the tasks changed rapidly confusing the new employees. The training process should be updated, maybe having 1-2 people in charge of training new employees. A more updated manual should be designed instead of the small pieces of papers taped to the desk or wall. The work was rewarding and just knowing you are there to help those in crisis made enduring chaotic work environment bearable.
Pros
Work Rewarding__Making a difference
Cons
Fast Pace, Confusing, Unorganized
Worse job ever!
RN (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJanuary 26, 2019
I was a registered nurse at Summit Ridge hospital for 6 months. UHS (corporate) is very greedy and concerned with profit maximization at the expense of patient care and safety. Staffing ratios in various departments are the worse I've ever experienced in my nursing career. Beds are filled even when there are no nurses to take care of the patients. On the adult unit one will typically find one RN serving over 30-45 patients. On the adolescent unit, one RN could be taking care of about 23 patients. While one RN caters for about 20- 28 patients on the geriatic unit. A nurse's daily responsibilities consist of administering medications, running nursing groups, attending treatment team meetings, discharging patients, handling phone calls around the clock and an average of 3-6 admissions (around the clock) on any given shift. Loved ones are unable to communicate to or receive updates on their family members who are being treated in Summit Ridge, because there is no one to handle phone calls and the nurse is always overwhelmed. Patients are treated like animals in this hospital. Patient care is non-existent. There are not even enough room or chairs for acutely psychotic patients to sit on, so they are found sleeping on the dirty floor all day long, since they are not allowed to go to their rooms during the day.There are not enough staff to encourage or ensure good hygiene practices. In addition, it's become convenient for staff to restrain demented patients in chairs so they do not move around and fall due to short staffing. Sadly, most of the elderly patients lose their mobility and  more... suffer pressure ulcers by the time they are discharged from the hospital. Comfort care rounds are not routinely provided for these elderly patients due to indequate staffing. Patients with chronic illnesses like diabetes, hypertension and CHF are not effectively managed and often experience exacerbation in their symptoms while in this hospital. Even wound care supplies are not available in this hospital and yet they will admit patients with wound care issues. The meals are usually pre-cooked from cans, greasy, salty, lack options with no nutritional value. As a nurse you have to stay an average of 2-3 extra hours just to complete your work. The environment is not only dehumanizing to the patients but also to the staff that take care of the patients. The management is so ineffective, they blame their shortcomings on pressures from Corporate to save money.  less
Would not recommend. See below.
patient (Former Employee) –  Summitt Ridge Hospital - Lawrenceville, GASeptember 14, 2018
Summit Ridge has good things but also some bad things.

First thing I noticed were the dirty floors and how the area where the nurses chart was in disarray. One patient found small bugs in her room and notified the staff.

I know its hard to cook for 30 pts. but the food just wasn't very good. Also, it was difficult to get drinks when you wanted them. I came home dehydrated.

Group sessions were not very helpful but did meet some other ladies who were patients and I learned a lot from them.

Staff is very rude to patients and to their coworkers.

Not a good experience. Sorry. I will do whatever it takes to stay well to avoid going there again.
Pros
Pretty organized I guess.
Cons
Food, dirty, rude staff, discouraged from talking to other patients.
High stress workplace
Collector (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAAugust 22, 2018
I hate working there it was miserable and stressful all the time. The upper staff works against you rather than with you. they relocated me an hour away from home.
summit ridge
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJune 28, 2018
I worked at summit ridge hospital for about 3yrs. I will not recommend them as the management do not care about their staff of the patient. all they care about is making money.
Poor patient care
Utilization Review Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAFebruary 18, 2018
Not much to say except that patient care is not a priority. There are a lot of managers who were grandfathered in and have been there for years, they seem to have no interest in making it a better facility.
Flexible working hours
Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GADecember 31, 2017
Enjoyed working with the patients. Working hours were flexible for my family. I enjoyed working with the therapist in partial hospitalization. They were always very helpful.
Not a good place to work
Office worker (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJune 18, 2017
This is a terrible place to work if you actually work and do a good job they treat you like you are an idiot , makes no sense how they treat employees. If you act like you know everything but really don't know anything then you would be a good fit. Too stressful
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Very stressful
summit
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMay 19, 2017
my experience at summit ridge hospital was not a good one, they were always short staff the pay was low. work condition was terrible. the management did not care about the staff.
Rude employees especially the nurses, too much work not enough workers
Inpatient case manager (Current Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GANovember 4, 2016
You will be pushed to get the verifiable work done (paperwork, assessments, etc) and the clients suffer for this because there is no time to do our jobs with/ for the patients.
Pros
it is a job
Cons
it is only a job
A day as a MHT
Mental Health Technician Specialist (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GASeptember 26, 2016
My job is VERY challenging but very rewarding.Whether my company lacks the ability or the compassion to care for it's patient's, my responsibility is still to provide the highest level of care and friendly customer service as is in my ability. Working in health care is very challenging but it is most rewarding to help people who can't or won't help themselves whether they thank you or not.
Pros
Mnetal health is a special field that only some can work. Your tolerance level has to be high.
Cons
No advancement or salary increases
No teamwork, unfriendly environment
Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAJuly 27, 2016
Employees are here only for a paycheck, there is no teamwork, patients are treated with very little respect, nurses treat each other with even less respect, management does not back up or value their employees .
Great Place to advance in your career
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  West Orange, NJMay 21, 2016
Great place overall to work. I look forward to building a work relationship with the company and all of the staff members.
Summuit Ridge Hospital is a place inwhich you will learn better ways to communicate and help people with mental health needs.
Social Services Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GaFebruary 11, 2015
A typical day at SRH was meeting and assessing clients. There was great team work and support from co-workers and management. I enjoyed teaching clients new life & coping skills. I learned to be non judgmental of others and I learned ways improve my time management skills which use to be a challenge (hard part) for me at times. I feel that my clinical skills improved greatly due to the level of crisis interventions and assessments that were completed and intervened during my reign as a Case manager in the social services department.
Pros
Great team wokr and supportive co workers to get the job done and to help fellow workers.
Cons
Sometimes I would forget to eat lunch because I would be so busy

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SummitRidge Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.

2.3