SumTotal Systems Employee Reviews

2.9
Ratings breakdown
Never work there.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nashua, NHApril 12, 2018
They have totally lost their way - circling the drain. Management is flighty and out to lunch - only concerned with saving themselves and figuring out a way to salvage the disastrous Charterhouse investment.
no comment
Financial Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJMarch 27, 2018
no comment it was a temp job. company acquired Cybershift and the accounting dept was eliminated. I remained on the job to complete the stub period financial closing of Cybershift.
Once proud company left behind
Senior Director of Pre-Sales Strategy & Operations (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CAMarch 9, 2018
SumTotal was one of the most influential and important companies in its market. However, they were not able to keep up with the competition and lack a strategy to now advance in the market. It is a toxic work environment due to this lack of vision that focuses on finding every last dollar from their dwindling market base.
Working at SumTotal Systems
Customer Account Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLFebruary 16, 2018
A typical day would be meeting with clients to discuss their current case load, metrics, and any urgent escalations.
If there were any internal meetings, I attended those as well.
My job consisted of ensuring the client's account was taken care of, work on escalations for a timely resolution, and assisting my teammates when needed. We watched each others accounts while out of the office or traveling.
The hardest part of the job is learning the products and your position. The onboarding went over the company in a whole but not as much with the position. You have to be in the position to learn what it takes to do it. This taught me well. Anytime I had a question or needed help, everyone in the company including mgmt were very helpful and took the time to explain things to me.
We have a great team and my manager is awesome. I have learned a lot to take with me and gained a lot of new friends and colleagues.
Bleak future
Customer Sales Director (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 2, 2018
Diminished sales pipeline due to a hyper-competitive marketplace with far more innovative products
Senior Management has completely turned over in the past 2 years and the culture has changed (for the worse)
Sales is expected to share hotel rooms when traveling
Unrealistic sales quotas
Employees are only given 2 weeks of vacation
Absolutely horrible
Consultant (Current Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 15, 2018
If you Google "working in a toxic environment", you find numerous articles that describe SumTotal perfectly:

-Narcissistic Management
-Lack of Transparency
-Management focuses solely on what employees are doing wrong and rarely gives positive feedback
-A singular focus on micromanaging employees
-No concern for work-life balance
-People are considered to be objects and there is little concern for their happiness or well-being
-No opportunity for advancement
-No financial opportunity to reward hard work
Pros
Working remotely
Cons
See list above
Everyone in office is miserable, or seems that way.
Customer Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 10, 2018
Incompetent management - 2 out of 3 don't know how to use the pricing tool in Salesforce. No positive reinforcement, unattainable sales goals. Very clique-ish.
Pros
Free lunches, Parent Company is Outstanding. (wish I worked for them)
Cons
Micromanagement like I have never seen before.
It's a paycheck, nothing more
Customer Success Manager (Current Employee) –  RemoteJanuary 9, 2018
Pretty horrible place to work with no career opportunity and no respect from Management. Employees are expected to lie to customers about the bug-ridden products resulting in angry customers. As a result, customers have been leaving rapidly and no new customers are coming on-board. This has driven mass attrition and layoffs over the past year.
Pros
Working with big name customers (those that have not left, yet)
Cons
Worst treatment of employees by Senior Leadership I have ever seen
Toxic environment
Professional Services (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJanuary 5, 2018
Very toxic work environment
Overwhelming micromanagement from senior leadership
Horribly flawed products
Rapidly shrinking customer base
Zero appreciation for employees
Pros
Work from home policy
Cons
expectation to work 245x7 with zero appreciation
Good company but poorly structured
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLAugust 8, 2017
My position is supposed to be more strategic, but I end up chasing cases all day long - making sure other people are doing their jobs. I have all the responsibility of keeping the customers happy with no authority to make sure the other people do their part of the job.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor senior management

Want to know more about SumTotal Systems?

Ask a question
Not the best company culture that I have experienced
ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 6, 2017
Worked here for about 8 months, and during which period I was constantly confused by the process for sales, and became even more confused when they fired me out of nowhere.

Some people may have had different experiences while working for this company, but I definitely struggled each day to even get the salesforce tool updated for sales forecasts.
Cons
Totally
Nothing Long Term
Technical Support Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLMay 24, 2017
This is a great company if you are fresh out of school or looking for something to get by. However, there is no long term option here. No opportunities for advancement, and you will be lucky to ever sniff a semi decent raise.
Productive and fun place to work
Technical Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 18, 2017
great place to work
nice environment and friendly coworkers
expanded learning
bagels on Friday's
pizza party once a month.............................
Generally positive, especially within the product group, but many silos
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJJanuary 23, 2017
Generally a solid place to work, and I am happy to have spent as much time with the group as I did. The only major downside was that the company owned a variety of related products, and only the most central seemed to receive much attention from upper management. Although they did make an effort to stay connected and meet in the various offices around the country and world somewhat regularly, the efforts and accomplishments of my product group only seemed to attract interest in a formal sense.
Fast and productive learning experience
Technical Support Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 15, 2016
I was taught many different learning softwares. My co-workers were my teammates and my teachers. Its a very easy-going, team-oriented office and that is what is most enjoyable.
Pros
Relaxing work enviroment
Good work environment
Talent Acquisition Associate (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 1, 2016
Positive experience both with co-workers and after working with hiring managers to welcome new talent to the SumTotal team.
productive and great co workers
Sr. Technical Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 12, 2016
I really appreciate the work atmosphere, the workload can fluctuate but the leadership seems to keep perspective on growth patterns.
Horribly mismanaged from top to bottom.
Engineer 2 (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLDecember 24, 2015
Sumtotal is a bad company by design. The only effective portion of the company is the sales and marketing teams, which must be telling lies as the products are broken and do not meet customer expectations.

I did not have a single customer call that didn't have their representative asking why they bothered with our software. The software is heavily data dependent, by design, and because of the incredibly redundant and poor design choices, it breaks, even when working with the software on the company side. This causes the continual issues with the customer, making CSRs, engineers and the company look bad.

I had more than one instance where I managed to advise better implementation in simple daily tasks that were agreed to and immediately dismissed. This is a technology company that still requires work in triplicate.

If you live in Gainesville and just want a pay check, apply. Otherwise it is not worth living there to deal with a company that doesn't care about itself, its ethics or its employees.
Pros
Due to bad upper level management they're not afraid to waste money: pay and benefits are good, occasional free food
Cons
Horribly management from top to bottom, Forced to deal with and wait on conflicting time zones, Horrible on boarding process, outdated and patchworked methodology, Poor responses for support, Possible racist anti-american attitudes, Several instances where "hindi" was used to hide conversation badly.
Nothing good to say.
Software Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 15, 2015
I really don't have anything to say about this place except that it's priorities were not where they should have been. They were more worried about sales and acquisitions than they were about fixing the products they had.
Pros
Free Soda
Cons
Gainesville
disengaged
Inside Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Des MoinesAugust 30, 2015
Since the acquisition of SumTotal by Skillsoft last year there have been constant changes by the new management without really speaking with SumTotal employees to truly understand the impact of the changes or best plan of attack.
There are some very talented individuals working within the organization, but it feels like the moral of the team has definitely decreased.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SumTotal Systems. Our community is ready to answer.