Sun & Ski Sports Employee Reviews

Toxic Culture Toxic People
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 11, 2018
The corporate environment is the textbook definition of Toxic! It is all a game of favorites. If you work here you will be used, abused, and thrown away. This company does not care in the least bit about your actual work performance, technical ability, or professional contributions. They only care about fostering an environment of abuse, negativity, gossip, and technical mediocrity.
Most enjoyable part of the job
Part time/Full Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXNovember 28, 2018
Best part: meeting and assisting & interacting with great customers; building relationships with those customers. Worked many years as a Part time then moved to Full time sales associate. If you're a people person, you will enjoy that this is what it takes to make a sale. You show interest in the customer, and readily get to know their needs.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Less than minimum wage; work sales for 1% commission
December 11, 2018

We appreciate that you enjoyed working with our great customers. All of our sales associates are paid 2% or more in commission on top of their base pay rate. Our payroll systems always pays at least minimum wage. If you have had any errors in your pay, please contact HR for them to research this issues.

Poor Environment
Staff (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 8, 2018
This is not a company where you can create a career. There is no opportunity for advancement. You are evaluated not on your professionalism, not on your integrity, not on your productivity, not on your punctuality, but on whether or not people choose to personally like you. I worked in accounting and I can tell you that if the caddy women there choose to bully you and you choose to not engage in the behavior the company will not protect you and you will be fired for it. Please save yourself. I turned down other offers for this place and I regret it. This company does not place any value on your contributions to work. It is only a popularity contest judged by mean girls.
Pros
Hours in accounting were not as strenuous as they can be in public accounting.
Cons
Toxic work environmemt. Dirty politics.
December 11, 2018

It is unfortunate that we were not a good fit for you during your 7 weeks with our company. We are very proud of how many of our employees have remained with us for many years and have had advancement within their time with our company.

Good Company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Norman, OKOctober 22, 2018
Good Company and I built good relationships through the work environment, the company is always looking to expand and to grow its reach as well as new ways to give customers a pleasurable experience.
December 11, 2018

We are happy to hear you enjoy working here as much as we do! We know and believe the customer is the boss!

No room to grow
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Houston, TexasOctober 20, 2018
I enjoy the commission based pay but it is very hard to get a promotion. You have to wait for someone to quit and a lot of these people have been working here for 5+ years and show no signs of leaving ever. I recommend the corporate reward employess who continue to make sales and give them the opportunity to at least go full time.
Pros
Commission
December 11, 2018

We are glad you that appreciate the commission environment. Many of our associates have financially benefited in the commission structure. Please let your store manager and district manager know that you are interested in a management promotion. Most of our promotions come from internal associates who have made their interest known. We wish you the best of luck!

Fun to work at, terrible pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 15, 2018
The shop was fun to work at and the discounts were great but the pay is terrible, off season you barely make minimum but during ski season you have the ability to make 12-20 bucks an hour after commission.
Fun work place if you like outdoor activities and sports.
Bike Shop Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCSeptember 26, 2018
Meet interesting employees. Cool environment and products. Earn knowledge of all outdoor products sold in store. Retain environment.Commission dependency.
Relaxed work space with freedom to suggest improvements
Bicycle Shop Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 13, 2018
As a Bike Shop Coordinator, I fixed a range of bike styles, managed and organized inventory, diagnosed customers' problems, led social bike rides, developed maintenance schedule for bikes on display, and discussed which bikes would fit customers' needs with them.
Pros
freedom to improve efficiency of service
Cons
Bike shop manager was not present in the shop often, taught myself many skills instead.
Fun place with fun people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 3, 2018
Sun and Ski was a great place to work and advance my sales ability. I also love outdoor activities so getting to spend everyday around that environment was amazing.
Relatively Fullfilling, but overworked consistently.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 15, 2018
Overall, the environment is a great one to work in. Getting to familiarize yourself with various sports and activities is a great way to engage with associates and customers alike. Like any and all retail, there is stress and some level of anxiety- both from higher level management, and customers themselves. This is more than easily handled with interoffice coordination and communication. The most substantial obstacle to this company is the lack of support from the Home Office and District Management. Store Management is required to work minimum of 43 hours weekly (this is very much industry standard), however, more often than not, this number will average much higher in the mid-60's. There is hardly any logistical support from several key Home Office departments; with tasks, and product, being handed out to stores weeks, if not months, before any directive is close to being completed.
Pros
Good environment, engaging product, smooth Operating Systems.
Cons
Salaried management is frequently overworked at 60+ hours, with no mention of support from District Management.
Fun and relaxed workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VAJune 7, 2018
Loved the people that worked there. A typical day was usually pretty relaxed but busier on the weekends. Learned how to make sales. The rushes of customers could be difficult but there was usually enough employees to handle
Fun, competitive work place.
Hard Goods Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXMay 23, 2018
It's retail. It's fast paced with an hourly + commission. Not a bad job for a college student or somebody living at home, but unless you're in upper management, you won't average more than $16 an hour.
Pros
Fun, upbeat work place with great co workers.
Cons
Short breaks, always having to do something with not much down time.
Sun and Ski review
Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Avon, COApril 15, 2018
I had a great time working as a bike builder at Sun and Ski. I learned skills I didnt have before and the the entire staff was friendly and nurturing. They were pleasant to be around on a daily basis and everyone helped eachother provide a well balanced work environment for themselves, but more importantly, the customers. A typical day at work was low-stress and productive, which made it easier to come into work each day to the next. I now have the skills and knowledge to work on my own bikes which saved me much time, and money. The management worked well with everyones schedules and were effective in dealing with customer problems, and found solutions for the customers and staff that not only solved the problem but educated, and prevented problems from re-occuring. Everyone in the workplace was unique in their own way and learned from eachother. This made coming into work a pleasant experience which made it easier to CARE for the customers. The hardest part of my job was probably trying not to spend all my money on the top quality products that were available at discounted prices. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting and learnining from my fellow team members as well as some of the customers. I enjoyed my time working there, and if I ever had to move back to Houston I would hope that they hired me back.. 10 out of 10 would work again.Working at Sun and Ski
Relaxed but stimulating and healthy work environment
Bike Builder (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2018
Pros
Mad Discounts
Cons
No pay during luch break
Typical Day at Work
Head Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCJanuary 18, 2018
Working here is a pleasure if you are into the retail and customer sales business. This is a great job for high school kids. Drama is not easily found here but it is very competitive when it comes to sales. Watch what and how you say things to management as they can be hypocritical on their responses. The management do not all work on the same ideals or principles. Overall this is a great place to work at but it is not for everyone.
I had a great time with co-workers. Management was not so great
Manager (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNNovember 9, 2017
I had a great time with co-workers. Management was not so great. Not much respect or honesty was given in regards to management. Many co-workers were not respected and not treated well. I did enjoy working with my co-workers and learning about all the different products. But management was not great. Many people quit at the same time because of it.
Fun Work Envirnoment
Footwear Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXOctober 16, 2017
Loved providing customers with the knowledge of products and helping them find what they needed for their sport or trip. Stayed busy during every shift and meet some neat people.
Sun and Ski
Ski/Snowboard rental manager (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VASeptember 16, 2017
I enjoyed working at sun and ski. I had a lot of fun working with clients and being able to customize their board or skis to their satisfaction. The management was average.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 8, 2017
Great invironment, good pay, and awesome management. The benefits are good, and they work well when scheduling vacation time. I would highly recommend working here.
Pros
30% off clothes
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Great part-time college job!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKJune 6, 2017
I worked at Sun and Ski for 2 years as a part time job while I was finishing my degree. The commission is good during the winter months, however it is much lower in the summer months.
Pros
Great Discounts
Cons
relatively low pay and low commission during the summer

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun & Ski Sports. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about