Sun & Ski Sports Employee Reviews

Relaxed work space with freedom to suggest improvements
Bicycle Shop Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXSeptember 13, 2018
As a Bike Shop Coordinator, I fixed a range of bike styles, managed and organized inventory, diagnosed customers' problems, led social bike rides, developed maintenance schedule for bikes on display, and discussed which bikes would fit customers' needs with them.
Pros
freedom to improve efficiency of service
Cons
Bike shop manager was not present in the shop often, taught myself many skills instead.
Fun place with fun people
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 3, 2018
Sun and Ski was a great place to work and advance my sales ability. I also love outdoor activities so getting to spend everyday around that environment was amazing.
Relatively Fullfilling, but overworked consistently.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 15, 2018
Overall, the environment is a great one to work in. Getting to familiarize yourself with various sports and activities is a great way to engage with associates and customers alike. Like any and all retail, there is stress and some level of anxiety- both from higher level management, and customers themselves. This is more than easily handled with interoffice coordination and communication. The most substantial obstacle to this company is the lack of support from the Home Office and District Management. Store Management is required to work minimum of 43 hours weekly (this is very much industry standard), however, more often than not, this number will average much higher in the mid-60's. There is hardly any logistical support from several key Home Office departments; with tasks, and product, being handed out to stores weeks, if not months, before any directive is close to being completed.
Pros
Good environment, engaging product, smooth Operating Systems.
Cons
Salaried management is frequently overworked at 60+ hours, with no mention of support from District Management.
Fun and relaxed workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VAJune 7, 2018
Loved the people that worked there. A typical day was usually pretty relaxed but busier on the weekends. Learned how to make sales. The rushes of customers could be difficult but there was usually enough employees to handle
Fun, competitive work place.
Hard Goods Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXMay 23, 2018
It's retail. It's fast paced with an hourly + commission. Not a bad job for a college student or somebody living at home, but unless you're in upper management, you won't average more than $16 an hour.
Pros
Fun, upbeat work place with great co workers.
Cons
Short breaks, always having to do something with not much down time.
Sun and Ski review
Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Avon, COApril 15, 2018
I had a great time working as a bike builder at Sun and Ski. I learned skills I didnt have before and the the entire staff was friendly and nurturing. They were pleasant to be around on a daily basis and everyone helped eachother provide a well balanced work environment for themselves, but more importantly, the customers. A typical day at work was low-stress and productive, which made it easier to come into work each day to the next. I now have the skills and knowledge to work on my own bikes which saved me much time, and money. The management worked well with everyones schedules and were effective in dealing with customer problems, and found solutions for the customers and staff that not only solved the problem but educated, and prevented problems from re-occuring. Everyone in the workplace was unique in their own way and learned from eachother. This made coming into work a pleasant experience which made it easier to CARE for the customers. The hardest part of my job was probably trying not to spend all my money on the top quality products that were available at discounted prices. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting and learnining from my fellow team members as well as some of the customers. I enjoyed my time working there, and if I ever had to move back to Houston I would hope that they hired me back.. 10 out of 10 would work again.Working at Sun and Ski
Relaxed but stimulating and healthy work environment
Bike Builder (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 27, 2018
Pros
Mad Discounts
Cons
No pay during luch break
Typical Day at Work
Head Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCJanuary 18, 2018
Working here is a pleasure if you are into the retail and customer sales business. This is a great job for high school kids. Drama is not easily found here but it is very competitive when it comes to sales. Watch what and how you say things to management as they can be hypocritical on their responses. The management do not all work on the same ideals or principles. Overall this is a great place to work at but it is not for everyone.
I had a great time with co-workers. Management was not so great
Manager (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TNNovember 9, 2017
I had a great time with co-workers. Management was not so great. Not much respect or honesty was given in regards to management. Many co-workers were not respected and not treated well. I did enjoy working with my co-workers and learning about all the different products. But management was not great. Many people quit at the same time because of it.
Fun Work Envirnoment
Footwear Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXOctober 16, 2017
Loved providing customers with the knowledge of products and helping them find what they needed for their sport or trip. Stayed busy during every shift and meet some neat people.
Sun and Ski
Ski/Snowboard rental manager (Current Employee) –  Chantilly, VASeptember 16, 2017
I enjoyed working at sun and ski. I had a lot of fun working with clients and being able to customize their board or skis to their satisfaction. The management was average.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 8, 2017
Great invironment, good pay, and awesome management. The benefits are good, and they work well when scheduling vacation time. I would highly recommend working here.
Pros
30% off clothes
Cons
Short lunch breaks
Great part-time college job!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Norman, OKJune 6, 2017
I worked at Sun and Ski for 2 years as a part time job while I was finishing my degree. The commission is good during the winter months, however it is much lower in the summer months.
Pros
Great Discounts
Cons
relatively low pay and low commission during the summer
Fun workplace with great bosses
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXMay 22, 2017
Every day is different. Meeting a lot of people from around the world and getting to know them while helping them find the right vacation equipment proved fun and helpful to improve interpersonal skills. As a sales rep, working on commission means putting in the effort to help people.
Pros
On your feet, fun people, chill environment, great managers
Cons
low wage
Very friendly work environment, personable and understandable management
Delivery Driver and Shipping and Receiving (Current Employee) –  Plainview, NYApril 30, 2017
Expect to work the second you get there. You will be on your feet the entire day and lifting a lot of heavy objects. Management occasionally underestimates the time needed for certain tasks and you might need to stay late now and then. However, the staff and management are very friendly and overall provide a fun work environment. I learned to look for creative ways to solve problems you don't expect to encounter and work through problems any customers may have and to respond to any questions and concerns.
Pros
Great personable staff and management
Cons
Short breaks, occasionally the daily workload is overwhelming and you may need to stay late
Faced paced working environment
CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE ASSOCIATE / SALES (Former Employee) –  Plainview, NYApril 24, 2017
The product being sold from this company was seasonal. This kept the working environment interesting, because there were merchandise changes often. Very often the job could be physically demanding due to all the merchandise changes that needed to be made.
Entrepreneurial atmosphere
Regional Manager - East Coast (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCMarch 13, 2017
Working at Sun & Ski is fun. The customers that you are serving love the store and the products that are being sold. The company wants you to behave as though you are the owner of the store. They encourage ideas on how to improve the business.
Pros
Fun, challenging
Cons
Seasonal business
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAFebruary 26, 2017
Was a great place to work if you appreciate an outdoor lifestyle and others with the same passion. not exactly a mom and pop shop anymore so more corporate vibe than years ago
Pros
employee discounts, do what you love
Cons
corporate
Fun retail job
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 29, 2016
I loved working at Sun and Ski. Being an avid outdoorsman I enjoyed being able to talk to customers about products I was already passionate about. The work/life balance was good, I could request off and 90% of the time it was granted. But like with any job, management can be a problem, it just depends on who the manager is. The pay starts out at something like $5.30 an hour with 2% commission, so you make decent money in the holiday season, but very little (basically minimum wage) in the summertime. This is a really fun sales job.
Pros
work life balance, commission
Cons
Great place to work with great people
Bike Sales (Current Employee) –  Webster, TXSeptember 19, 2016
It's a great place to be especially when you're talking about bikes all day. I've learned quite a bit about bicycles, what it takes to work on them, and how to listen to customers about what they want out of the machine. The management are really great and very knowledgeable about bike and the store in general. Overall, the hardest part about the job is pleasing the customer and making sure you get them what they need. In the end, the best part about working there is getting people on a bike they love and getting them outside. It is satisfying.
Pros
Good hours, plenty of bikes to test ride.
Cons
Not a lot of training, sometimes inventory is a problem.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun & Ski Sports. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about