SUN Behavioral Houston Employee Reviews

A horrible place to work.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 26, 2018
I worked for this facility for a few months and in the short period of time I saw many staff walk out because of poor management, being over worked, and disorganization. You're expected to take care of 16 to 20 patients on your own because they're always short staffed. You're put in unsafe environments almost daily because there's never enough staff support when a crisis arises. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone!
Pros
Competitive pay
Cons
Disorganization, poor management
Productive work environment
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 25, 2018
In the three months I worked, it was a great experience. The staff and administrators know what to do to accomplish the mission of the hospital. I do wish there was more psychology here though. The MHT position is more for nursing graduates instead of psychology graduates in my opinion. Otherwise, working in this hospital is okay. I would recommend this position for those with a technical degree, but not for those with a university degree.
Pros
Gym Time, Relaxation time with patients.
Cons
Work and Life Balance is tough.
Overly threatening evnviornment with Management that could care less
Mental Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 4, 2018
Sun Behavioral was by far the most stressful, exhausting, and frustrating place to work. Turnover rate is incredibly high, leaving no one trained well
Benefits
Cons
Stressful, no work-life balance, demanding
Great learning experience
Receptionist (Bilingual) Professional (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 4, 2018
An exciting part of the job able to talk to people and be there to witness their improvements and continue their care at outpatient services and leave the hospital
Great Place to Work
Intake Clinician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 2, 2018
SUN is an enjoyable place to work.
On average I see 3 clients a day that I complete psychosocial assessments on to determine need to mental health treatment.
Working at SUN is a place that allows you to improve your assessment skills and view a wide variety of mental health disorders in a face-to-face setting.
Management at SUN is easy to work with, communicates needs regularly, and provides an atmosphere that encourages growth within the mental health field.
Pros
Increases knowledge in working with a variety of mental health disorders, enjoyable environment to work in, and knowledgeable staff and management.
Cons
Occasional interactions with malingering populations, challenging communication with insurance companies.
One of the finest behavioral health facilities in Houston
Psychotherapist (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 28, 2018
I would refer family and friends to SUN Behavioral Houston because of the quality of care provided by the facility. The culture of the hospital is familial and supportive. Overall a top notch workplace and treatment destination.
Pros
Friendly culture, high quality of care
Cons
Understaffed in some departments which disrupts work-life balance
Very unorganized
Registered Nurse (RN) (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 14, 2018
This organization is all over the place. I would not suggest anyone to work here. It seems really easy to lose your license here. Avoid this place If possible.
Pros
Easy to get the job
Cons
Stressful, demeaning and dangerous place to work.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 15, 2017
Since my time there Ive seen great leaders fired for no explanation, awful employees promoted and a wide range of violations that would cost you your license. The turnover rate at this facility is the highest Ive seen in my 20 years in this field. There philosophy is to overstaff with PRN but use them very sparingly. It almost seems as though the PRN's are only hired to fill when the full time staff has become fed up and decided to move on. There weekly decisions made that affect everyone but never any interaction with the front line staff. Daffy Duck could do a better job of running this hospital. You will be over worked and under paid and their managerial style is based in fear and manipulation. You can count on one hand the number of people who are actually happy to work at this hospital and most that are happy work on the administrative hallway and do nothing more than sit in their offices, gossip and watch cameras all day. AVOID AT ALL COST!
Pros
Motivation to go back to school.
would not recommend
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 28, 2017
Management is in constant rotation, hospital is on its third CEO in less than two years. Very high turnover, middle managers are inept. Nurses and counselors for the most part are nice and supportive, but most are ready to leave the organization.
I enjoy working at Sun.
Employee (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 14, 2017
I've worked for Sun Behavioral Houston for just under a year. I am so grateful to work for a group of people who are professional and down-to-earth. My boss and my co-workers are mature and have a team mindset. It's refreshing.
Pros
The staff is friendly and professional.
Cons
You have to wait three months after being hired for your benefits to kick in.
Good work environment
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 7, 2017
Sun Behavioral has great staff and the management teams are awesome. A typical work day does not leave you drained and dreadful about tomorrow. Surprisingly, I loved coming to work.The most challenging part of the job was waiting for that moment to say, "I knew it was too good to be true". My coworkers were supportive and overall great team players.
Great Place!
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 7, 2017
I have been working here as a CNA for the past 10 months and really enjoy my job. Staff is friendly and supportive.The work is not hard on your body. Compensation is good too. Planning on staying here.
workplace culture
Mental Health Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 5, 2017
The management is great, I get support when needed. Great hours and the workplace culture is good. The most enjoyable part of the job is the caring for the patients.
Pros
great pay
Great Place to work!
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 27, 2017
It truly is a great place to work! The staff is welcoming and supportive. You will actually receive a true orientation before you get to the floor. Nurse to patient ratio is excellent!
Pros
Nurse to patient ratio
Feels like family
Care Provider (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 19, 2017
My time working with the SUN Behavioral team has been more like working with family. I am encouraged everyday to share my feedback on how to improve my experience. I have been in other behavioral health facilities and the SUN Behavioral staff goes above and beyond for committing to their patients and their families.
Pros
Family Atmosphere, Open Door with Management
Rewarding place to work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 11, 2017
I enjoyed my time working at SUN Behavioral Houston. Work can be a grind at times, however, it is very rewarding. Very humbling to see so many people need and receive the help given.
Stressful and Hostile Environment
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 3, 2017
I would never recommend anyone to work for this company EVER!!!!! Upper management is clueless. There is a lot of favoritism and backbiting in this place. If you have stable job, this is not the place for you. You will be cursed forever if you join this company. Upper management is so quick to write people up for no apparent reason. I learned that you have to make sure you leave a paper trail when talking to these idiots, otherwise its your word against theirs and trust me they are going to lie their way to the top. This company will not last long with the amount of unprofessionalism and stupidity they have. This place has absolutely no work-life balance, they expect you to live and breathe SUN. I understand that they have no life at home but don't expect for everyone else to be miserable. STAY AWAY!!!!!!!
Cons
I would not take any of my family members there
Psychiatric Nurse (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 17, 2017
CNO had a good vision of how she wanted her nurses to be, but that was as far as went, Techs had more authority than the nurses did. They need to get rid of everyone there and start from the bottom. That is the only way that the hospital will last. They have lost so many good nurses since the doors first opened.
Pros
check
Cons
Not helping or caring for the patients
You must be armed with patience, selflessness, and compassion
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 23, 2016
I enjoy working with people, I consider myself a helper by nature, I find psychology and human behavior interesting, and I want to be of service to the community.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SUN Behavioral Houston. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about