Sun Communities Employee Reviews

Fun place to work, great people to associate with.
Pro Shop Associate (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZJuly 6, 2018
Part time winter employment. We have now relocated to Casa Grande and would like to work on a part time basis. Good company to work for on a part time basis.
Pros
Discounts on rental spaces.
Choose Not to provide
Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Punta Gorda, FLJuly 5, 2018
I choose not to provide a personal opinion other than the ratings above. I believe it is up to each individual to give their own opinion when asked during a face-to-facce interview.
Very busy
OFFICE COORDINATOR- FULL-TIME (Former Employee) –  Belton, MOJune 15, 2018
Very busy work atmosphere, took payments for rent, worked with Vendors, CSR, administrative, phones, mail, filing, showing homes, accounts payable and accounts receivable, worked and delegated to the maintenance employees.
Pros
Convienent location
Cons
Got laid off
Salaries are not commiserate with other salaries in location
Housekeeper/ Secretary (Current Employee) –  FloridaJune 14, 2018
Compared to other jobs in the area Sun pays the lowest. Expectations are very high, but the salary isn't commiserate with what they are asking you to do.

When the local retail store starts you out at 11.30 an hour to stock, which requires little or no analytical ability, and Sun asks its employees to be all things to all people, and they start at 10.00 per hour with tiny if any raises. This poses the question " What do they really think we as employees are worth, and what type of employee do they think they will get for the lowest salary in the area?"

The rental industry apartment wise has caught on- if you want great service people, you pay them what they are worth. Unfortunately Sun has not.

They are expanding, and building, and making their parks better, and charging higher prices, but not extending that thinking across the board. In my area, high school kids and workcampers are not hired, and the job is a 365 day a year job, not a seasonal job. Stop paying us like we are seasonal, and pay us like real eployees, and Sun will keep a better class of employee to serve its incoming better class of client.
Reconsideration needs to be done here.
Pros
my current supervisor who has tried very hard to help me with this
Cons
Salaries
Lacking Management
Guest Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJune 6, 2018
Pros
Benefits
Free lunch

Cons
Unprofessional Management
Discrimination
No career advancements
Under Pay
Work/ Life Balance
You will never be good enough
Benefits
Upper Management Clueless, Hostile
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Paso Robles, CAJune 4, 2018
Upper management has no idea what they are doing. Regional Vice Presidents lie when on web meetings to their superiors to cover their behinds, leaving the front line managers with their behinds hanging out. Nothing can be done without a RVP's approval hundreds of mile away that has absolutely no experience in restaurants or food service of any kind.
Recruiting is a joke, they bundle job descriptions into every possible task in food service. They have no idea that kitchen help, bartenders and servers are different. Upper management thinks that everyone can do everything. Front line managers and some employees are used to work all shifts all the time. Breakfast, lunch and dinner then perform closing tasks, and return the next day to do it all over again.
RVP's are rude and abusive and promote only those who are cutthroat lackeys and BS artists.
"You do what I tell you to do and you're going to like it!" should be their motto.
Pros
Some good employees to work with
Cons
Hostile work environment
Relaxed job
Pool Attendant (Current Employee) –  Eugene, ORMay 30, 2018
It's a slow paced and repetitive job with little in means of advancement and pay compensation. There are weekly benefits and discounts that are emailed to the employees but these hardly make up for the low pay. The work itself is easy but the residents are the negative aspect of the job. Some residents are great people but they are few and far in between. This is a great job for those going to school/college or for those looking to get their foot in the door with work experience.
Pros
easy job
Cons
limited hours
Job
Guest Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dade City, FLMay 29, 2018
Enjoyed working with the company - Some times it was hard to find the help you needed. - the company gave you the resource on line to help you with the daily task. At time communication was hard, changes were made but staff was told until a mistake was make.
Productive like a ping pong table
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Punta Gorda, FLMay 28, 2018
Was promised a comission check, but I was seasonal I didnt qualify. Wasnt told that. Would never work for them again. No bennies for seasonal help. Not a good company to.work for. Stay far away.
Pros
Got experience for a better job
Cons
Everything about it
Customer Service and Education
Senior Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasMay 20, 2018
Working daily with co-workers and home owners. Creating an atmosphere off customer service to insure sales. To help educate home owners of their consumer rights.
Pros
working with people
Cons
True budget
Worst Company I have ever worked for
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wayland, MIMay 12, 2018
They work you like a dog and treat you the same way, they just kept piling on more and more work and never got a decent raise. I started there with 140 sites and at the end was dealing with 394 sites and wondered why I could not keep up, treated me like dirt and was the only one majority of the time in the office and did 95% of the work, manager was never in the office to deal with any issues and there were plenty, pay was not even close to the work load from day one and after 10 years I was still not making what was deserved for the work load! Would never recommend them to any one to work for, double standard company all the way around. Do not miss the stress load of being there, just my residents are who I miss.!! The also miss me as well, I was the only one doing the job!!
Pros
Cons
Worked to death and not paid for the job i was doing
I love working with the public.
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Zephyrhills, FLMay 4, 2018
Customer service is my specialty & I love working with people. I have a great boss & fellow workers. I think the pay & teaching could be better in the company.
Pros
Great park to be in.
Cons
You take alot of grief from people.
Cant get a paycheck on time
Activities Coordinator (Current Employee) –  FloridaApril 21, 2018
Been employed with Sun for almost 3 weeks now, first paycheck was mailed on the 11th of the month to be here by the 13th, 1st paycheck even though you have direct deposit is a always a paper check- so here it is the 21 of the month and no check. Yes my address is correct, as is the rest of my information.
But instead of stopping payment on the old check, and overnight me a new one- guess what now I'm gonna have to wait another two weeks for them to stop the old check, and USPS another one which will take another two weeks, by the time I get my first check, my job will have ended for the season and I will have two direct deposits into my account already.

And they wonder why they cant keep people-why no one comes back for the next season. They could care less about their people.

Lower pay than the local big box store, failure to support their employees, failure to pay on time(especially a new employee who may NEED that check to get back and forth to work) I'm embarrassed to say I work for them truly-I never tell anyone who my employer is, I'm looking for another job as we speak. Not all of us are snowbirds-not all of us just want to work for a season, a lot of us just want a real job with a reliable company- news for ya -it isn't this one
Pros
my current supervisor who has tried very hard to help me with this
Cons
Everything else related to the actual compnay
its an ok work enviorment.
maintenance/groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIApril 15, 2018
it was an ok work enviorment other than the managment was unprofessional at the particular community i worked at. I would go back to sun communties if given the chance but not for that particular manager.
office is stressful post office is fun
Mailroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Myers Beach, FLApril 14, 2018
Office is very high energy --stressful- you deal with residents and RVers unhappy but you do have Happy which make your day
Post Office pleasant because residents and RVers want to receive mail so they are pleasant
Pros
rent discount
Cons
low pay
A place to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 6, 2018
Sun is more interested in making certain the stock holders are taken care of. Raises are NOT performance biased but are a annual 2%, period. A new hire was brought in making what took me years to make and because he was married received more than me.
Promotions don't exist. It can be a dead end job however, we need our pay check to live and traveling to another job did not make financial sense (cost to travel, fuel expenses, etc. so I stayed).
The company does not have any technical programs to help you to learn trades like HVAC, or building trades. Most of the time we called our repairs in to outside vendors. I have crawled under houses to locate water leaks, or to remove dead varmints from the insulation under the house, no problem.
Management at our location was great when they hired the right one.
Most enjoyable part of the job was making certain the repairs were completed on time making our resident happy. What I enjoyed about maintenance was repairing things. If a faucet was leaking we generally replaced it. Most of the time the job was great.
The most daunting was having to clean the rock beds as the residents didn't do it. Residents could be a pill, we had to notify them to pay their rent or give them violation notices. some negatives of the job.
Pros
Living on the property
Cons
Dealing with lazy, rude residents.
Not a great place to work
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ruskin, FLMarch 28, 2018
Employment here had no growth chances and the employees at the office cut throat each other and also talked freely about their personal life which i found does not work well at work. I would not recommend this place to anyone
Pros
Cons
cut throat
Very fun and relaxing
Resort Reservation Specialist, (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIMarch 21, 2018
Very easy customers are typically great and nice. Management was very friendly and easy going. it is a nice great area in Southfield MI very quiet. The best part of the job is that you can pace yourself .
Friendly and professional work environment
Resort Maintenance Tech (Former Employee) –  Berlin, MDMarch 7, 2018
Approximately working with upwards of 300 people during peak season. The coworkers and management were very nice and professional. They provided great benefits to their employees. I would definitely recommend to someone who was considering employment with them.
Pros
17 paid days off per year in my position and the occasional free meal
Could not make difference in due to upper management not understand the role of health and fitness.
Wellness/Fitness Center Manager (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 28, 2018
Company was to concerned about liability of the guest. I company would not allow the trainers to train clients. There were very restrictive when it came to youth programs. Very restrictive when it came to progressive thinking.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Very negative when it came to being progressive in health and fitness

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Communities. Our community is ready to answer.