Sun Communities Employee Reviews

Nepotism abounds, arrogant management, indifferent HR
Low level cashier (Former Employee) –  Frontier Town, MDDecember 1, 2018
Show up to work with no idea what respoibilties you will be expected to fulfill. Some employees just wandered around pretending to tidy things. The ones who did work may have been noticed but were not thanked.
RVP and General manager have no training in team building or general courtesy. Store managers are not promoted because of experience in the field but because of friendship with upper management. Managers don't support staff with problems, just their pet employees.
Liked most other workers but friendships were strongly discouraged.
Culture was stressful because manager spends most of the day in the office watching the ubiquitous cameras. Literally had a call from general manager because a cook was dancing during a lull in business. The kitchen was clean. No fun allowed! Ever.
Pros
Half price lunch
Cons
Too many to list
Incompetence at its worst
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 7, 2018
Only place I've ever worked where the upper managers cover for the incompetence of the lower. No one is held responsible, and they make the residents pay for the managers' (many) mistakes.
Relaxed Atmosphere, Quick Paced
Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 3, 2018
Lifeguard / monitor job. Friendly people.The management and staff was great to work with and was adaptable to my schedule. Fast paced, calm work environment.
Good First Job
Resort Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Santa Claus, INOctober 29, 2018
I worked as a Housekeeper since the summer of 2017. It was my first job. I LOVED my boss and my coworkers. Some of the guests were really rude though. Even through the worst days, my boss and coworkers were always there to help me. Overall, I think it was a good first job. It really taught me some values that I will hold on to. I will cherish this job forever!
Pros
Management, Coworkers, easy job, good for experience/resume
Cons
Mean guests, exposed to all types of weather, Old golfcarts
Activities
Activities Director (Former Employee) –  Davenport, FLOctober 18, 2018
I worked as the activities director for a 55+Park It was my responsibility to make sure that all the guests needs for entertainment were met I planned dinners and parties crafts and games and special interest activities. We had line dance classes and bingo and card nights. I brought in different entertainment and classes like fire prevention heart and health safety. I would schedule lunches and breakfasts Plan day and overnight trips also cruises
Pros
Enjoyed happy friends
Cons
Long days holidays nights and early mornings
Big turnover in management and employees
Full-time housekeeper 3 years 9:50 an hour (Former Employee) –  Bushnell FloridaOctober 15, 2018
I worked there for 3 years as a full-time housekeeper no raise. Employment was a big turnover. The people that
did a good job that worked they got rid of they treat people like dirt. The last boss had me followed to harass me and when I was trying to deal with my husband passing away on the phone I got wrote up that's the reason why they say I didn't get a raise. There was 5 people that quit after she was hired and I'm one of them. I enjoy the residence there I really like the park if it wasn't for a management I would still be there.
Pros
I love the people there the residence
Cons
Poor management
fast paced and autonomy
SR COMMUNITY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Grand Haven, MIOctober 11, 2018
Sun provides the tools for individuals to grow. an entry level manager is allowed to make decisions based on budget. they are also provided opportunity to Budget, examine profit and loss statements and prepare variance reports that reflect the direction of the community.
2 jobs in 1
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  USAOctober 6, 2018
It's a two person job. One to handle residents & prospective residents and another to handle the administration of the community. This office had lots of traffic that left little time for the clerical/administrative duties. With just one person, the "customer service" bar is embarrassingly low.
Cons
It's all about the money. Voiced concerns were met with "well, how do you think I feel". My issues always fell on deaf ears.
Process rent payments, make the flyers for homes, work with the residents
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lake Alfred, FLOctober 1, 2018
When I initially began, I loved my job and my manager. We worked closely as a team. During my first 9 months, I ended up having 4 different managers, each with a different management style. The last manager did not want to work as a team. She only wanted to micro-manage. I was yelled at, called dumb and terminated on the basis of alledged statements that I made.
Pros
Residents, Beautiful office
Cons
Manager
High turn over
Bilingual Retention Specialist/Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 26, 2018
Management does nothing for the employees or the community.
This has been the worst place I have ever worked at, all they ever care about is the commission upper management is going to get.
Overall decent company
COMMUNITY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Belton, MOSeptember 25, 2018
company offers good benefits and rent free housing for managers. Training and awards are also available for all staff. Management must be available 24/7 for emergencies. Managers are paid a salary and sales commission if applicable. Bonus also for leasing. Workplace culture is mostly small as each property has its own staff. Expectations are high for rentals and sales.
Poor
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  BushnellSeptember 21, 2018
Do not care to work for a company that keeps their employees below the poverty level we do plumbing electrical all maintenance type issues and general maintenance and we are not compensated for what we do and the amount of work we do
Pros
Cons
Plenty
*Applicant beware*
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaSeptember 20, 2018
Lack of support from upper management.

Treated like a number.

You will work endless hours thanklessly.

Unrealistic goals will be set so that your direct supervisor can bonus.
Pros
Decent compensation plan
Cons
Lack of support from upper management - misogynistic culture
ITS A FREE FOR ALL, people do whatever they want and are not held accountable
Activities and Event Director (Former Employee) –  MarylandSeptember 15, 2018
Without giving a long report, I was harassed and threatened to the point I felt I had to leave, despite loving the position, When you can voluntarily quit a job and still get unemployment approved despite hr disputing it twice, you know somethings wrong!!!
Great company
Community Manager (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MISeptember 5, 2018
I have worked for Sun for over 5 years and they are a wonderful company to work for. Sun offers a ton of learning opportunities and support. Sun promotes from within first before seeking outside candidates. I started as a seasonal employee at the front desk and currently I am in resort management.
Pros
Great healthcare
Cons
On call 24hrs/365
young restaurant
Bar Tender (Current Employee) –  Zephyrhills, FLAugust 21, 2018
restaurant is still trying to figure out what works and what does not with the residents and locals. ability to really get to know residents and their families.
pool attentant is a ok job
Pool Attendant (Current Employee) –  San Marcos, TXAugust 20, 2018
i was/ am a pool attentdant and it was easy for the most part management needs to fix themselfs and offer better pay for others who work in office it would be better if they had a better system
Pros
u get a good tan
Cons
cant swim no shade
Great Summer Job
Guest Services Coordinator/ Group Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hillsdale, IL 61257August 16, 2018
A great way to stay busy during the summer. A lot of great people to work with. You also meet a great bunch of travelers. Never a dull moment at Sunset Lakes!
Depends on what you’re looking for
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Canton, MIJuly 23, 2018
As a woman the lack of career advancement had me leaving but if you are a man, you would do great here. The pay was great, the benefits and the paid time off couldn’t be beat but I wanted to advance and I saw all of these men (who I helped train and who continued to call me for advice) were promoted. There was a change of culture when I was there...new CEO with his own visions. I loved my co-workers but some upper management I had issues with. I left on my own accord, not fired and this is not a rant of how bad this company was because in many, many ways it can’t be beat.
Pros
Paid time off, benefits, pay
Cons
Long hours, lack of advancement
Fun place to work, great people to associate with.
Pro Shop Associate (Former Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZJuly 6, 2018
Part time winter employment. We have now relocated to Casa Grande and would like to work on a part time basis. Good company to work for on a part time basis.
Pros
Discounts on rental spaces.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Communities. Our community is ready to answer.