Sun Communities Employee Reviews

productive and fun
customer service/ticket sales (Current Employee) –  Berlin, MDJanuary 31, 2019
productive and fun, everybody is nice and easygoing. management is very family oriented the customers are there to have a good time and they do never had a complaint
(Koren Rogers Temp)
General Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Richmond, MI, Capac, MIJanuary 15, 2019
Regarding Richmond, MI. I have not plowed or shoveled snow.. Otherwise I have worked this property of Sun as well as the Sun out in Capac for a temp service. The people are nice, the atmosphere is relaxed. Included running errands, cleaning rental units, odd work as needed. Also included filling streets with cold-patch. I am too far out to commit to the snow, and cannot answer to its demands. Otherwise these are the best positions I have had for some time. Sun is a financially strong company. Sometimes you will get a Friday off with pay (Sun) because of overall good performance of the company as a whole. It is a great job for a retiree or college student, or even a first job. Disregard the long demands of what it should take to work this job--as most of it's description of duties just aren't relevant.
Pros
Hours may flex with your life schedule (not snow)
Cons
They may be too thrifty.
Very Rewarding
Property/Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLDecember 30, 2018
Always room for advancement. Able to make extra money if needed to. Fair management. good working environment, salary package was very beneficial. Customer Service was very rewarding.
Pros
Salary was great
Cons
Not a lot of area to work close to home
Good company to work for
Assistant Resort Manager / Leasing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLDecember 25, 2018
This company allows you the flexibility of working at different locations and transferring from one to another if needing a 6/6 job for traveling or being that snowbird you always wanted to be.
Poor business to work for
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Red oaks flDecember 20, 2018
As far as Sun communities is concerned I would never ever recommend this place to anyone the pay is insulting they keep their employees below poverty management are blooming idiots and could give two craps about their employeeshere at this park we have to maintenance workers take care of a 1100 sites and it keep telling us they can't afford to hire new maintenance employees which is bs we don't have the equipment we need to work with 9 million-year-old tracker that doesn't run half the time all in all this place is a craphole and I will be leaving soon so stay as far away from this company as you possibly can because you will get yourself into a hole that you'll never get out of because they don't care about their employees and they certainly don't pay you what you're worth but they expect you to work your butt off all day long plus they expect you to use your personal tools because they won't provide you with tools to do your job if you work for the company and live in the park they don't give you any real kind of discount that helps you they just keep taking away and taking away and taking away and make me work harder and harder and harder but don't compensate you for the work you're doing so all in all I would never ever recommend this place to anyone stay away
Pros
Cons
Plenty
job duties
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Myers, FLDecember 16, 2018
a typical day at work is usually doing landscaping. the park is self contained maintenance picks up trash and greens.i have learned basic maintenance jobs
Pros
pto
Cons
management not so great
Temp Manager of Social Responsibility (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIDecember 2, 2018
Great place to work! Very flexible and approachable management. Great environment. Free starbucks inside. Great hours and pay. Awesome volunteer opportunities.
Nepotism abounds, arrogant management, indifferent HR
Low level cashier (Former Employee) –  Frontier Town, MDDecember 1, 2018
Show up to work with no idea what respoibilties you will be expected to fulfill. Some employees just wandered around pretending to tidy things. The ones who did work may have been noticed but were not thanked.
RVP and General manager have no training in team building or general courtesy. Store managers are not promoted because of experience in the field but because of friendship with upper management. Managers don't support staff with problems, just their pet employees.
Liked most other workers but friendships were strongly discouraged.
Culture was stressful because manager spends most of the day in the office watching the ubiquitous cameras. Literally had a call from general manager because a cook was dancing during a lull in business. The kitchen was clean. No fun allowed! Ever.
Pros
Half price lunch
Cons
Too many to list
Incompetence at its worst
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 7, 2018
Only place I've ever worked where the upper managers cover for the incompetence of the lower. No one is held responsible, and they make the residents pay for the managers' (many) mistakes.
Relaxed Atmosphere, Quick Paced
Pool Attendant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 3, 2018
Lifeguard / monitor job. Friendly people.The management and staff was great to work with and was adaptable to my schedule. Fast paced, calm work environment.
Good First Job
Resort Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Santa Claus, INOctober 29, 2018
I worked as a Housekeeper since the summer of 2017. It was my first job. I LOVED my boss and my coworkers. Some of the guests were really rude though. Even through the worst days, my boss and coworkers were always there to help me. Overall, I think it was a good first job. It really taught me some values that I will hold on to. I will cherish this job forever!
Pros
Management, Coworkers, easy job, good for experience/resume
Cons
Mean guests, exposed to all types of weather, Old golfcarts
Activities
Activities Director (Former Employee) –  Davenport, FLOctober 18, 2018
I worked as the activities director for a 55+Park It was my responsibility to make sure that all the guests needs for entertainment were met I planned dinners and parties crafts and games and special interest activities. We had line dance classes and bingo and card nights. I brought in different entertainment and classes like fire prevention heart and health safety. I would schedule lunches and breakfasts Plan day and overnight trips also cruises
Pros
Enjoyed happy friends
Cons
Long days holidays nights and early mornings
Big turnover in management and employees
Full-time housekeeper 3 years 9:50 an hour (Former Employee) –  Bushnell FloridaOctober 15, 2018
I worked there for 3 years as a full-time housekeeper no raise. Employment was a big turnover. The people that
did a good job that worked they got rid of they treat people like dirt. The last boss had me followed to harass me and when I was trying to deal with my husband passing away on the phone I got wrote up that's the reason why they say I didn't get a raise. There was 5 people that quit after she was hired and I'm one of them. I enjoy the residence there I really like the park if it wasn't for a management I would still be there.
Pros
I love the people there the residence
Cons
Poor management
fast paced and autonomy
SR COMMUNITY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Grand Haven, MIOctober 11, 2018
Sun provides the tools for individuals to grow. an entry level manager is allowed to make decisions based on budget. they are also provided opportunity to Budget, examine profit and loss statements and prepare variance reports that reflect the direction of the community.
2 jobs in 1
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  USAOctober 6, 2018
It's a two person job. One to handle residents & prospective residents and another to handle the administration of the community. This office had lots of traffic that left little time for the clerical/administrative duties. With just one person, the "customer service" bar is embarrassingly low.
Cons
It's all about the money. Voiced concerns were met with "well, how do you think I feel". My issues always fell on deaf ears.
Process rent payments, make the flyers for homes, work with the residents
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lake Alfred, FLOctober 1, 2018
When I initially began, I loved my job and my manager. We worked closely as a team. During my first 9 months, I ended up having 4 different managers, each with a different management style. The last manager did not want to work as a team. She only wanted to micro-manage. I was yelled at, called dumb and terminated on the basis of alledged statements that I made.
Pros
Residents, Beautiful office
Cons
Manager
High turn over
Bilingual Retention Specialist/Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 26, 2018
Management does nothing for the employees or the community.
This has been the worst place I have ever worked at, all they ever care about is the commission upper management is going to get.
Overall decent company
COMMUNITY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Belton, MOSeptember 25, 2018
company offers good benefits and rent free housing for managers. Training and awards are also available for all staff. Management must be available 24/7 for emergencies. Managers are paid a salary and sales commission if applicable. Bonus also for leasing. Workplace culture is mostly small as each property has its own staff. Expectations are high for rentals and sales.
Poor
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  BushnellSeptember 21, 2018
Do not care to work for a company that keeps their employees below the poverty level we do plumbing electrical all maintenance type issues and general maintenance and we are not compensated for what we do and the amount of work we do
Pros
Cons
Plenty
*Applicant beware*
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaSeptember 20, 2018
Lack of support from upper management.

Treated like a number.

You will work endless hours thanklessly.

Unrealistic goals will be set so that your direct supervisor can bonus.
Pros
Decent compensation plan
Cons
Lack of support from upper management - misogynistic culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Communities. Our community is ready to answer.