Sun Life Financial Employee Reviews

I choose not to answer
Quote Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTJuly 10, 2018
This company itself if a fairly good company. The pay is competitive but the stress in some departments can be a little stressful. But the pros outweigh the cons.
A strong Company and Brand
Small Business Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Wellesley, MAJuly 9, 2018
Sun Life has a mission to be the Best Benefits company in America. This is a new mission and they are following it well.

One of the main goals of Sun Life is to offer one stop shopping and they are doing just that. Specifically the offer Stop Loss Coverage, Life and DI as well as Dental, Vision and CI plans.

Sun is a great company and I would refer friends into Sun anytime.
Pros
Work at Home Options
Cons
Matrix Environment
Best Company I have ever worked for
Dental Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 29, 2018
Working at Sun Life Financial was a blessing. It was difficult to leave. I learned so much. The managers were so amazing, very accepting of all personality types.
Pros
Everything. Just an overall great place to work.
Cons
Absolutely Nothing
Depends on your manager
Project Lead for International Division (Former Employee) –  Wellesley, MAJune 14, 2018
This company is focused on the bottom line for share holders. For years they have reduced staff and increased the work load.

They are currently working on streamlining departments using Lean Six Sigma approach.

Work life balance is non-existent. Some managers coach their team, while others are too busy working on their own advancement to provide any leadership and expect you to just do your job and don't bother them.
The people are generally nice and helpful. Competition for advancement is strong at the management level and some people have no integrity when it comes to getting ahead and will do anything to get there.
Pros
Flexible hours, work remotely at times, on site gym
Cons
Too much work, not enough direction from management, re-orgs are frequent
Great Place to work
SALES EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 22, 2018
Awesome opportunities to grow and advance within the company. Multiple locations and they really work with you if you need to move around the country. I have not one bad thing to say about Sun Life Financial. They helped me set myself up for continued success.
Pros
team atmosphere, employee activities, great bonus program
Cons
Training is not the best, I would of loved more or better training rather then being told to listen to a webinar.
review
Stop Loss Claim Analyst (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTMay 17, 2018
Sunlife, not very friendly company to work for, no empathy management was never around to speak with, training was not organized, meetings was also not organized
workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, CTMay 16, 2018
the work environment was comfortable and friendly. Everyone was there to help each other without the concern of competitiveness. The atmosphere was that of a team.
Good
Account Associate (Former Employee) –  Wellesley Hills, MAMay 15, 2018
Sun Life is a good company to work for. Like most companies in an attempt to save money they may not want to replace an employee that has left and attempt to redistribute the work load amongst other workers.
I enjoyed many aspects of my job
Pros
good benefits, cafeteria
Cons
not replacing departing employees, some time managers didn't back you up
Culture is stressed
Associate Director, Client Relationship Services (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 13, 2018
Sunlife does not encourage employees to make decisions and do the right thing for employees and customers. Personally I have called 3 times regarding conversion of life insurance only to be lied to. The last call I confirmed they would send me a quote in 3 business days with time to respond. That was 5 days ago. Another way to avoid paying claims
collaborative work environment, laid back
Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wellesley Hills, MAMay 1, 2018
much about the company is good, but there are issues. ASA's are not valued as they should be. Workers often lack the authority to do the tasks that are required. other than that, the culture is positive. Pay is probably a little below average. good benefits.
Pros
benefits, work life balance.
Cons
lack of advancement. never on leading edge. pay.
Competitive and productive workplace
Corporate Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  National Capital RegionApril 25, 2018
I've been for Sun Life Financial for two years and this is one of the companies that have great benefits and incentives to their employees especially in Sales.
Not what it seems.
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wellesley Hills, MAApril 17, 2018
Fake atmosphere. Management talks about employees - never to them. Party every other day. Long term employees smile at face and talk about behind their back.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Everything else
The Sun Set Too Soon
Regional Vice President (Former Employee) –  Wellesley Hills, MAMarch 20, 2018
Sun Life was an excellent company to work for. Based in Wellesley Hills, MA, Sun Life had been in the USA Life INsurance market for many years. Sadly, the company no longer sells life insurance in the USA.
Fun
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHMarch 17, 2018
Nice places with good people and challenges as well. Opportunity to grow and develop skills. Good office experience gained and happy to have found a place I could grow.
Understaffed and poor communication
Dental Network Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MoMarch 12, 2018
Company was transitioning from parent companies Assurant Inc to Sun Life Financial and it was being executed poorly. Work was not shared/distributed properly and there was a hiring freeze, so the company was understaffed and looking for budget cuts.
Pros
paid well and great benefits
Cons
poor managment
Good people, good management & good work environment.
Employee Benefits Internal Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Wellesley, MAMarch 7, 2018
Get to work early set up workstation and check emails and pipeline.
Grab some breakfast set up conference calls and manage all pipelines throughout the day. Talk sports with the guys and weekend plans. Go to lunch & after lunch continue to manage pipeline. Call reps and brokers as necessary and finish work at 5PM.
I have learned how to manage 5 Reps and their workload. Learned how to use QPS system and various work tools. I also learned that I don't like an all day desk job. The management team is very good.
My manager in particular is excellent with understanding people and knowledgeable about the work I do and always willing to help.
The hardest part of the job is sitting at a desk all day and there is so much to learn sometimes information overload occurs. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with and the fellowship we have with each other. The guys really make work more enjoyable through talking and joking with each other but in a respectful manner.
Pros
Excellent vacation and benefits package
Cons
I never had a desk job. There is not enough activity during the day.
Case Manager, LTD
Case Manager I - Disability (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHMarch 2, 2018
Until the recent acquisition of Assurant Employee Business, Sun Life was a dream of a company to work for with fair compensation, work/life balance and okay management. However, the Group Benefits department is undergoing major changes that are constant and the culture is becoming that of any other insurance company. Though they have adopted an agile work environment, the number of works one ends up working is well over the 40 hours. There have recently been a few rounds of lay offs and the Employees are advised they do not know if/when more will come. It is not a great time to be working in Sun Life's Group Benefits department.
Call Center
Member Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 1, 2018
Its a call center for the amount of work that one call can take the ones that don't take the calls have a lot to say. They have a lot of request, when you try to meet them the manger just keep telling you what you did wrong, and never what was right.
Excellent and Good Company
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSFebruary 15, 2018
A Very Good company to work for. good management, Good Collaborative team to work with. No Stress work. Well advanced company to use different technologies.
Inconsistent work
Benefit enrollment counselor (Current Employee) –  Home BasedFebruary 9, 2018
There really is no "typical work day", and that is one of the best parts about working as an enrollment counselor for Sun Life. Ever case is different and every situation unique. My time as an enroller has afforded me the opportunity to meet thousands of everyday, hard working, Americans and has given me perspective I doubt could have been found in many other jobs. The managers and supervisors I've worked with are professional and patient. Most situations are fluid so communication lines are always open. The only down side is the inconsistency of work, and for some that is not a problem, but I am seeking a more permanent position with full time work.
Pros
Variety and flexibility
Cons
Inconsistent

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Life Financial. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight