Sun Tan City Employee Reviews

sun tan city
Tanning Consultant (Former Employee) –  Altoona, IAJuly 19, 2018
Sun tan city provide advancements within the work place. Traveling is only required when help is needed at other salons. you are not required to travel. The hardest part is dealing with the disrespectful clients.
Salon Director (Current Employee) –  Waukesha, WIJuly 16, 2018
It is a great fast paced environment! It allows you to be in control of how much you make starting with a base pay and adding in a personal bonus. It is very sales based and customer service driven. I would absolutely recommend this to someone.
Nice Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, TNJuly 10, 2018
Great place to work. I was allergic to some of the spray tan products used at the facility. I was doing sales, cleaning and scheduling tan visits. The hardest part of the job was going to school in another county and trying to be there in time for my shift. I enjoyed the people I worked with and employee benefits.
Tri-fly tri cities
Tanning Consultant/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNJuly 3, 2018
I worked for the company for a long time (over 3 years). Every time I asked about job advancement management said I had things to work on but would never tell me specifically what it was that I needed to work on. I loved working with my clients and co workers, but the upper management for this district is below sub par. The district manager is awful and only wants to promote people who kiss the ground she walks on.
Pros
Bonus commission, free tanning, discounts
Cons
Short breaks, have to be able to stand for long hours
Not a well functioning company
Tanning Consultant (Former Employee) –  Cary, NCJune 22, 2018
Enjoyed having clients come in, however the management and owners were not very pleasant to deal with. If there were any type of emergency where you could not work there was a major risk of losing your job. They made me pump milk for my daughter in a closet.
Fun Environment, Great Discounts and Perks
Tanning Consultant (Former Employee) –  Keene, NH and Salem, NHJune 21, 2018
If your looking for a summer job or to make a little extra money during the school year Sun Tan City is the perfect place to work. Of course you run into some clients that aren't the kindest but you do meet some interesting people as well. The co-workers and management are super easy to get along with and I honestly cannot remember ever having an bad day on the job. Yes, there is a lot of work to be done in a fast pace but you may also get some down time as well. This job can be very repetitive and is easy to get the hang of so if that is something that you are looking for then this is the job for you. I had opportunities to grow as a person and an employee. There are some amazing discounts that you will receive including free tanning!! I highly suggest this position for someone looking for an upbeat part-time job!
Pros
Discounts, Free Tanning, Room to Grow, Great Environment, Commission
Cons
Low Pay, Bi-weekly Paychecks
Fast pace and Competitive
Shift Leader/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Hendersonville, TNJune 20, 2018
This is a sales job, for sure. If you don’t sell memberships, lotions, etc. then you don’t get any hours. It’s not too difficult to sell stuff though because people have to have certain products to tan and protect their skin. The team here is great and will help you and push you to do better. The manager there is the best manager that I have ever had and she really cares about your life outside of work such as school, social life, other jobs, etc.
Pros
Bonus off what you sell, great team, flexible hours, request off and you will probably get it, time goes by fast
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits, low pay and bonus structure, covering shifts is a must
Great employment for young people
Salon Director (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, TNJune 19, 2018
I enjoyed working here. I got to build my own team and develop them as needed. My clients were awesome and we always made them feel welcome so they would keep coming back
Avg
Tanning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VAJune 14, 2018
Didn't pay the bills but free tanning is ok I suppose. The co-workers aren't for everyone. Lots of in work conflict and stress mostly due to laziness but it sure was a wild ride. In the end, I wouldn't of changed a thing.
it was okay
Tanning Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYJune 11, 2018
I ultimately left because when you're part time, the cap you at 25 hours. But really they cap you at 15-20, and only give "top sellers" the full 25, although I was consistently top 5 and only got scheduled more than 20 hours twice. It was a fun and easy job but I can't make money on only 14 hours a week.
Fast paced sales
Salon Director (Former Employee) –  IowaJune 10, 2018
The job itself is very easy and enjoyable, when given the appropriate amount of time and staff. Keeping staff is hard, pay is low and it’s always college kids. They preach their mission and the sun tan city difference but it’s a joke. I loved my DM but when she was out on leave her fill in was trying to change everything which was completely unacceptable in my opinion. What we were doing worked great and didn’t need any change. They preach the handbook and rules but when I tried to follow them I was told I wasn’t doing it correctly.
Pros
Free tanning, discount products
Cons
Doesn’t appreciate their management staff
Great Place
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 6, 2018
I enjoyed working for the corporate stores. My boss and all of my team members where amazing and so helpful! It was like being apart of a family. Wish I didn't have to leave.
Free Tanning
Tanning Consultant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 4, 2018
I enjoyed the job because most of the time it was laid back and also you got to tan for free. We'd always have employee contests and whoever would win would get something for free which was fun. Bad part was the minimum wage pay but we did get commission when selling product.
Pros
free tanning
Cons
bad pay
Hard work, loved the job
Tanning Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, VAJune 3, 2018
I loved working at Sun Tan City. I loved the work, the people, and everything about it. Management and coworkers would make it fun and we'd make the day go by faster.
Easy place to work, fast paced
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAMay 31, 2018
A lot of the days throughout the year are very fast paced. It was often difficult to keep customers happy because a lot of them will not listen to your help/what you have to say. The management in this company seems to be a little disorganized, and scheduling was never done in advance for me.. But overall it is a good place to work if you can handle the fast pace and customers. The hourly pay wasn't the greatest and commission was nice but only if you sell enough product.
Pros
Good place to work, learn a lot about customer service
Cons
No breaks if any, meeting sales goals
Tc
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INMay 30, 2018
Your time at Sun Tan City will determine on your SD. If your SD is power hungry and talks bad about coworkers, upper management, etc, you will have a terrible experience. If not, it is the best job.
Pros
free tanning
Cons
Once someone becomes an SD they become lazy
Fun and friendly workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 19, 2018
Sun tan city is an awesome job to have they have flexible hours they try their hardest to work with your schedule. Most of the clients are amazing! It's such a fun job and you get a bonus!!
Pros
Free tanning
Cons
Strict tanning hours
Fun workplace
Marketing Consultant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 18, 2018
Cleaning tanning beds, running social media campaigns, building relationships with customers, counting the money drawers before and after your shift, creating new marketing ideas for the store
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Short breaks, no benefits
Loved
Assistant Salon Director (Former Employee) –  Maysville, KYMay 14, 2018
I loved this job so much! The salon was such a fun environment, the regulars were great, the atmosphere was fabulous. I had so much fun and learned a lot about sales and my abilities as a leader.
somewhat stressful environment because of pressure to sell
Tanning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Cookeville, TNMay 12, 2018
somewhat stressful environment because of the pressure to sell but other than thats, the job is not too bad I guess. I mean, I am one if their best sales people so its not hard.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Tan City. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight