Sun Tan City
60Below average

Sun Tan City Employee Reviews

United States589 reviews
Good place to work at
Very well balanced job. If you are going to school then this is the place for you to work at. They will work with your school schedule and always put you first.
You will not make any money
Upon being hired I was never properly trained on how to use anything besides how to clean the beds. My thumb print and password never work so I am unable to sell anything which results in me not getting any shifts. I maybe work 1-2 shifts every pay period because hours are given based on how much you sell. Obviously I can’t sell when I don’t have a working thumb print or password.
Poor Management
Poor management and improper relationship boundaries with employees. Raises rarely happen, however added tasks will be placed upon you for same pay rate. Not worth the headache of dealing with management nor trying to advance in a company. STC rarely cares about you as a person, as you just are a number for their store- wouldn’t recommend unless you love drama and feeling like you are 12 again
Lies!
The “Salon Director in Training” title is so misleading and manipulative. I trained endlessly only to have to train again and again and again. Led the store in sales every week and was a model employee with zero complaints who ALWAYS went beyond e call of duty. Don’t waste your time.
Hands on with clients and tanning experience
Abundantly loved working there. Loved my manager and boss as well as employees. Customers were amazing in the communities I worked in for the company. Such an amazing experiance.
Pros
Tanning discounts on everything, free tanning.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
Good depending on your situation.
If you are a college student that is 18 years or older this job is perfect for you. I started working here as soon as I graduated high school. There is great work/life balance and it is easy to get time off if you have somewhere to go or an event coming up. Management is typically good but it depends on who they are as a person. You will be required to recommend a 5 product bundle to customers and give a tour of the salon.
It’s okay
I would be much happier if i had stayed a TC or an ASD but upper management is hard to please... pay is okay... staff can be really fun, there is always a little bit of drama... good job for college students who want free tanning.
Fun place to work
Fun place to work, upbeat environment. Always on the go and multitasking is a must. Sales driven and physical labor. Customers are great and commission
Pros
Atmosphere
Cons
Upper management
Come Ready to Work
If you're looking for a non demanding job, this isn't for you. Sales quotas are required to be met and if they aren't for 3 months, you're terminated. Comission is an awesome and very motivating part of the job. In busy season, you could make upwards of $1,000 extra that month. Upper managment is great but in-salon management changes often. Very much a team oriented setting, which is awesome if the memebers of the team are willing to work. A lot of the time team members will become lazy, requiring you to pick up the slack.
Relatively good job
I enjoyed my time with Sun Tan City. I liked the fact that I was paid hourly plus had the option to work harder to receive a bonus check once a month.
Horrible experience
Overall horrible experience. When you first start you are welcomed with smiles and promises of quick advancement and the idea of a supportive and passionate team. By the end of your first shift, you will have heard enough drama to keep your cortisol levels elevated for the next month! No matter how hard you try, or how positive you are, it will eat away at you. It will become frustrating when nothing gets solved after countless conversations with upper management. They tend to make promises of promotion to get individuals with high sales numbers to stay. Most managers don't implement the daily training they are supposed to, and problems aren't addressed until they're ready to bully someone out of the company. At least in our district, there are two sisters (each running a different district within KCMO area) who run everything, and if you're not a part of their "clique" you will never succeed. DO NOT GO HERE.
The perks of an employee at STC are awesome!
The atmosphere, the people I worked with and the customers made my job as a tanning consultant fun! I loved every day i worked at Sun Tan City and I'm thankful to have had the experience working with staff primarily younger than myself.
Toxic Work enviornment, Managers see you as a number instead of a human being.
I wouldn't reccomend this job to anyone. They will give you no hours and expect you to meet unrealistically high sales goals. The GM is a monster and they promise you competitive pay and internal growth up the company when that is simply not the case.
Love
I absolutely love this job the girls are fantastic to work with it is a very upbeat an fun place to work I would recommend SunTanCity to anyone that is looking for a first time job
Enjoyable work atmosphere
I enjoyed talking and working with the clients on what was best for their tanning experience and use of skin care products. I was able to grow as an employee.
Very competitive
This was my favorite job I liked how fast pace it was and we got paid salery and commission so we strives to get as many sales as we could for that bonus check at the end of every month we got to tan for free and the best discounts the management were great petiole very understanding I got hired on spot after my phone interview for peak season
Great environment
I love my job I always enjoy going to work and seeing my clients I have bonds with a lot of them, I also enjoy making them feel good about themselves and purchasing the best skincare products they need/deserve.
Flexible schedule, respectful company, advancement opportunities, feels like family. In 9 months I've moved up to assistant manager and now in training as a salon director in training.
Fun, always surprising, sometimes stressful place to work
A typical day: specific cleaning duties, sales of products and memberships, hanging out with coworkers.
What I learned: I learned a lot of basic life skills like how to clean pretty much anything, how to sell, how to perform customer service and handle upset clients, and how to work with sometimes difficult people. This was my first job and I couldn't have asked for much more as far as useful skills.

Management: I will say that although you may not work with the manager hardly ever, the management impacts the ENTIRE morale of the store. They can either make you feel like family, or like you just cannot set foot in the salon without crying.

Workplace culture: With a group of girls theres always the possibility of things getting catty, but in the end we can all put things aside when we work together and come together as a family when times get rough.

The hardest part of the job: Dealing with upset clients for sure because as a tanning consultant there is just so little that you can do. Its also hard to take people seriously when they get upset because it is just a tanning salon.

The most enjoyable part of the job: The coworkers, flexibility of hours, feeling accomplished after a sale, free tanning, product discounts.
Area management is a joke
Area manager, Amber, is an unqualified excuse for a leader. She starts drama between stores, has pitiful communication skills and seriously needs guidance on her management techniques. This has been the worst job ever.
Pros
None. Run away from this area.
Cons
Horrible area management.
This place is a joke.
If I could give this place zero stars I would. I worked here and everyone was back stabbers. Can’t trust no one. Deceived clients and stole there money. They make you feel like one of them for a few months then they treat you like a door mat. Drama there is ridiculous and when they don’t like you they talk about you behind your back. If I would have went to hire management instead of quitting the whole company would of probably came after me because they are all one big clique. The manager there was a snob and if she didn’t like you no one did. I don’t recommend working here at all.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Tan City. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.0Personal Development
4.0Career Opportunities
2.8Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight