Sun Tan City Employee Reviews

Best.Job.Ever
TC/Shift Lead/ASD/SDIT/SD/TSD (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 17, 2019
If there was a STC where I moved, I would never have left. If you WORK HARD, follow the rules, and learn how to work here you will never want to leave. The upper management is phenomenal and I miss working there already!!
Pros
Free Tanning, Benefits, Wellness incentives, fun work outings, flexible schedule, discounts on products, sales training.
Cons
Turnover
sell that lotion
Tanning Consultant/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYDecember 13, 2018
Its more trouble than its worth. They require unrealistic sale goals . your always encourgaed to force products on customers. Even through they see you making an effort of shoving tanning lotion down every customers throat ... your definitely shamed if you dont make the sale. (You cant make someone buy something if they dont want to.) I always went above and beyond doing other things ; however, behinde closed doors They ONLY thing that matters is selling lotion. Management acts like they care but they really dont ... and whenever magnement mets there sales goal they run and sit in the office so they dont mess up there PPTA (ratio of cutomers to sales) that way it looks they sold a whole lot ! nevertheless I enjoyed tanning /spray tanning for free and getting lotion 50% off.
Pros
Free tanning and 50% products
Cons
Customers, management
Experience really depends on management
Customer service and sales focus (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IADecember 4, 2018
I've had the privilege of working at 3 different Sun Tan City locations throughout college 2 of those were AMAZING!! Then I moved to a more rural location and the management was TERRIBLE!! So bad it ended up getting shut down! With attention to detail there is lots of room for advancement with this company so long as you're in a competitive market, mostly a sales focused job.
Pros
Free Tanning!
Cons
Poor management will reflect heavily on everyone else
Super fun place to work with really nice people.
Tanning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Gallatin, TNJanuary 25, 2019
I love working at Sun Tan City. Their atmosphere is amazing and I love our clients. They have a lot of opportunities where they give back to their employees as well.
Pros
Nice people, Employee discount, other ways management shows they appriciate you.
Fast paced environment.
ASSISTANT SALON DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 13, 2018
Be prepared to be on your feet all day! It's not a bad job for people starting out and the commission isnt bad either. The harder you try the better you'll do with that part.
Management Sucked
Shepherdsville (Former Employee) –  ShepherdsvilleJanuary 10, 2019
So obviously the company hires semi-attractive people and people who meet their requirements, it was very easy to get hired. However, it was very clique-y and my supervisor had her favorites. People would get hired without an interview because they were friends of the boss or the assistant salon directors. I was there to do my shift, make money and get my free tan on! That is a major perk of working for Sun Tan City. Free tanning in any bed as well as 4 spray tans per month and 5 friends and family passes. While I was there, at least. One of the downfalls is that seniority really doesn't matter at this company. There is little room to advance and the bosses will pick their favorites as next higher in charge. The girls might ask you to take their shifts, but then might not take your shift when the time comes. Overall, I loved the environment, the smells, the perks, but not the management...
Customer Service and busy work
Tanning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Fort Oglethorpe, GADecember 20, 2018
I have a daily set goal on sales that have to be met. Daily reports on my sales and customer attentive are given to stay on top of my of my job duties.
Sun Tan City Review
Tanning Consultant (Former Employee) –  Danville, VADecember 20, 2018
Although I did not work at Sun Tan City for long I did enjoy it. Overall it was fun and challenging. I liked learning new things. When I was scheduled to work I enjoyed it. But I ended up quitting because I would only be scheduled to work maybe once or twice every other week. This was due to the off-season of tanning. But I wanted more hours.
Pros
Free tanning, discounted products
Cons
no breaks
Biased Management
Salon Director (Former Employee) –  Nonesuch, KYJanuary 9, 2019
For multiple years of employment with Sun Tan City, I loved my career. Unfortunately, there were some management changes. Management was very biased and unaccepting of the new team.
Salon Director
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Menomonee Falls, WIJanuary 22, 2019
Unless you were the bosses “bff” you never saw your district manager. I ran the store never got help when it was needed. If you didn’t have staff it was your job to cover it even if that meant working by yourself when it was busy or working more than 50 hours. I would recommend this job as a part time gig but not your full time career. Advancement only happens when someone else quits. Bonus structure sucks too you make less than 5% on sales too.
Pros
Some of the customers you meet are super nice and make you want to go to work.
Cons
Pay, hours management

Want to know more about Sun Tan City?

Ask a question
Assistant Salon Director (Current Employee) –  Blacksburg, VANovember 24, 2018
Great place to work! Get free tanning. It is a sales position must know how to sale. customer service a must. hours are flexible and part time hours.
low pay
Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 14, 2019
Even if you advance it's still low pay, hours are no fun as they want you to work long days. They hold bonuses over head and threaten employees to take it away. Dealing with corporate and home office was terrible, the technology of everything was so out of date so you always had glitches.
Pros
free tanning at certain hours
Cons
little pay for so much work and making the company money
Tanning Consultant (Former Employee) –  Fishers, INNovember 18, 2018
Working at Sun Tan City I learned to work well under stress. The management was very helpful and I worked with a great team. The most enjoyable thing about working here was the people I worked with and the customers.
Wonderful place to work!!
Tanning Consultant/ Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCOctober 30, 2018
I loved my time at STC! The atmosphere was wonderful! You definitely will have a family away from home! You will earn lifelong friends as well as enjoy many company perks such as company outings and product discounts! Free tanning is the best!
Great work place
Tanning Consultant (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 13, 2018
I am very happy to work for this company I have been working here for about two years. I have a few problems though it is really hard to move up in the company and the benefits are bad. I would recommend this job for people in school or needed to make some extra money, not as a full-time thing especially being a tanning consultant. A lot of gossip and drama from all the employees. Oh, and when a salon has an SD ASD and a full-time TC don't expect to get many hours at all. This is a part-time thing for me, but I have to get another part-time job because I don't get many hours here.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
low pay, low hours, hard to advance in the company.
Awesome place to work!
Assistant Salon Director (Current Employee) –  Hendersonville, TNOctober 30, 2018
I love working at Sun Tan City. Sometimes they can get a bit greedy when it comes to bonus and raises but overall such a great company. If you work hard and do your job correctly you will get promotions. You don’t even have to go above and beyond because they simply just want people that they trust wil do the job correctly.
Pros
Advancements
Cons
Average pay
Energetic work environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, TNNovember 8, 2018
Loved the fast paced,bubbly, and energetic work environment. The clients were absolutely amazing, and the employees were hard working. Made working there a lot more enjoyable.
Pros
Amazing employees
Cons
Breaks were hard to come by
Pay is not worth it; Employees trained to be "fake"
Assistant Salon Director (Former Employee) –  BurlingtonOctober 25, 2018
As a member of management at Sun Tan City for over a year, and having been employed with the company for 3 years total, I know everything there is to know about working behind the counter at this job. Sales tactics are taught and mandated to be implemented to every single client, and upper management consistently encourages upsaling products that are totally unnecessary and not worth the price, just to bring in more revenue for the store, therefore putting more money in their pocket. This company ONLY cares about the revenue each store brings in and not about GENUINE client experience or employee wellbeing. After leaving this company, I began to question every working relationship I had with everyone on the payroll, because in hindsight I feel like everyone is trained to put up a facade when handling clients and management is trained to have similar conversations with employees that almost felt manipulative.
Pros
Free Tanning
Cons
Extremely un-genuine management, Low pay, Implementation of pushy sales tactics
Horrible
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYOctober 8, 2018
Horrible place to work I wouldn't recommend working there at all. They give you very little training and than when you do something wrong the management gives you snobby attitude
Pros
Co workers are great
Cons
Manager is a stuck up snobb
Not worth it
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Elizabethtown, KYOctober 4, 2018
It's going to be like any commission based position ... it's a luck of the draw. Around the time of the Birthday Bash you spend time telling clients how much they're saving but some people don't comprehend HOW they're saving it so they call to scream at you. You'll also explain the perks of buying that membership only to have the person tell you they'll call you back. So while you explained it you wasted time for nothing. You could be working from 1PM to 11PM and have your 1st break an hour into your shift, your 20-30 minute lunch an hour and 45 minutes into your shift, and then your last break 4 hours into your shift so you get to sit at your computer THE ENTIRE REST OF THE SHIFT.
Pros
Free lunch once a week, free tanning
Cons
20-30 minutes for lunch (I don't remember which)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sun Tan City. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight