Sunflower Bank Employee Reviews

Poor management
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 17, 2019
This place is a joke! They will fire you for just about anything! Management comes in late whenever they want and is unbelievably rude to anyone and everyone! They don’t let you learn anything. Stay as far away from this place for your banking needs and employment!!!!!
Pros
None!
Cons
Everything.
Mouse in a viper pit
Sr CSR banker II (Former Employee) –  New MexicoJanuary 14, 2019
If you value morals and respect, stay away, there are none within this company. Management hides in restrooms for hours, talks on the phone with others about their boyfriend's and dates, goes shopping at the mall during business hours, has their significant others in their offices with doors and blinds shut for hours. The list goes on. You get stuck doing not only your job, but managements, compliance, fraud, and customer retention... They won't help you when you get harassed or followed. They will fire you for speaking up and standing up for your morals, ethics, and above all the respect you deserve. You reach out for help from HR to find no answers and to swept under the rug. There is no proper training, and no pay raises following advancement.
Pros
The customers
Cons
Management, Hr, non-existent training
Former Sunflower Employee
Bank Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 14, 2018
Management is poor quality, and they only care about numbers and sales. They do not however care about the emotional well being of employees. If you take a sick day you are required to provide a doctors note to prove you were sick, otherwise you are at risk of termination. If you do not produce "proficient" sales to customers you are also harshly repremanded.
Pros
Minimal PTO
Cons
Work Environment and Low Pay
Poor pay working 6 days a week.
Banker I (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, CONovember 21, 2018
Sunflower Bank is a good jumping-off point if a person is looking to get experience in banking. Unfortunately, you won't be paid much above minimum wage. Management expects you to work six days a week at or below 40 hours per week. Most employees don't work at Sunflower for very long and generally leave when they have enough experience to get a similar position at a higher pay-rate for a competitor.

The company culture was in-flux during my tenure. They were going through a merger with a bank based out of Texas and New Mexico and struggled to identify what the culture was going to look like.
The employees gave no courtesy to the customers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, CONovember 12, 2018
This bank was by far the worst job, no training was provided, the employees were rude and dishonest, cut throat, and manager was new and not able to cope, she was abusive and drank alcoholic beverages at work
Pros
best hour of the day was lunch
Cons
no training was provided had to learn on your own
Do not work here!!!!
Loan Officer (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 7, 2018
This is by far the worst place I have ever worked. Upper management has their favorites and treats them like gods. If you are not part of the inner circle or don't kiss their backside, than you had better watch your back. Management is vindictive and takes great joy in firing people for no apparent reason. Management only cares about themselves and their chosen ones.

They hire friends of their inner circle and put them in positions way over their heads. Then when results don't go as expected they fire the sales people and support staff because the branch or department is not meeting their goals due to lack of proper management.

The lack of communication makes it hard to do your job because you never know what is going on or what is expected of you. Everything is on a need to know basis and you don't need to know. The training is severely lacking as well.

Sunflower Bank is the most biased, poorly run and hostile working environment I have ever been a part of. STAY AWAY!
Benefits
Cons
Management, Culture, EXTREME Favoritism, Lack of Communication
Great Place to Work Where I was Able to Approve My People Skills
Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSOctober 28, 2018
Sunflower Bank was my first experience with the banking industry and I became hooked. Sunflower Bank has one of the best training programs I have been a part of and a great management team that want their employees to learn and grow.
Pros
great training, long breaks
Sunflower is Cut-Throat, Poor Management
Main Office (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMSeptember 29, 2018
Do not get fooled by the First National 1870 name, since Sunflower Bank, N.A. out of Salina, KS merged with The First National Bank of Santa Fe, The REAL First National Bank of Santa Fe has ceased to exist. The Bank charter that was held since 1870 was given up in lieu of Sunflower Bank's charter and at that point The First National Bank of Santa Fe was no longer. All of the Banks history was donated to UNM's Archives. Since Sunflower has taken over they have systematically ousted most (if not all at this point) of the loyal First National Bank employees. Sunflower has fired those employees under false accusations and bogus charges of misconduct so they do not have to pay unemployment benefits. The new management is so lost, on any given day, they cannot tell you who is running what or is responsible for this or that because - they truly DO NOT KNOW. DO NOT apply here.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Poor Management & Sunflower sucks
Sunflower Bank was a fun and friendly environment to work in .
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COSeptember 2, 2018
Sunflower Bank managers and supervisors were all caring and fun individuals to work with . I truly enjoyed the time I worked for them. I probably would still be working for them if I didn’t have to relocate after my father pasted away.
Good company with great benefits
Accounting (Current Employee) –  SalinaAugust 23, 2018
I've had a great experience with management here and with HR being responsive to employee concerns. I've recruited someone and know she loves it also. Enjoy the work, that I'm never bored and always learning something new. Company is growing which is a plus for me.
Pros
Great benefits, Work environment, PTO tome, Holidays off
Cons
Busy all the time, required to dress up business casual
No Room For Advancement
Personal Banker II (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSAugust 15, 2018
This job was highly stressful and there was no room for advancement. Raises were impossible to receive and the management never took care of their employees.
Sunflower Bank was terrible
Personal Banker II (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, KSAugust 9, 2018
There would be days were there would only be one teller handling both drive through and the loby. We were unable to take lunches and upper management did not provide a solution to over working us.
Mortgage Underwriting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 22, 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at SFB. I mainly worked remote in Wichita at a bank location with none of my mortgage staff, however I would travel to Salina to work and be around my co-workers twice a month for meetings and stay for 3-5 days
Pros
Great Environment
Cons
Company merged and the new company did not keep the mortgage depay
Worst working environment after the merger
Processor (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMay 10, 2018
Upper management is very biased and only supported people of their race and gender. You'll literally feel like you don't belong and will do whatever it takes to get rid of you
Terrible Company Stay away
Vice President of Marketing (Current Employee) –  Hays KSMarch 10, 2018
Many other banks are better to work for. If you don’t drink - this is not the company for you. The better back are in Hays. CEO got arresting in a dui case.
Pros
Their all alcoholics.
Cons
Free liquer
Bad Management
Operations (Former Employee) –  Salina, KSMarch 8, 2018
The lack of communication is the number one reason to not be employed here. Not very good training. They don't care about their employees or their customers. Managers and executives are treated like gods unless you do something to make someone upset. Then you get ousted.
Pros
Insurance benefits
Cons
Everything else
Having just gone through a merger change is always hard but if you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, there are good things to come.
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  New MexicoDecember 8, 2017
No employer is ever perfect however, this is a great place to start your banking career. You’ll definitely learn all the ins and outs on how to do your job and also be crossed trained in other areas.
Pros
Good benefits and very affordable. Lots of opportunity. Upbeat and motivated management
Cons
Processes need some attention.
Poor upper management
Commercial Credit Analyst (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 10, 2017
Sunflower bank offers less than competitive salary with the expectation for a highly paid employee. Very poor upper management that does not value the employees. Purely results driven with no regard to the individuals. Comments from upper management have been "it's like wack a mole, I'm here to fire people".
Pros
Cons
A lot
Very traditional banking culture
Vice President (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 11, 2017
This is just another bank that does not value employees or the culture. This bank isn't interested in creating long term employees or business relationships.
Pros
expense account
Cons
weak leadership in place and bad culture
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Cañon City, COAugust 28, 2017
The work place enviorment was friendly and I enjoyed working with my co-workers and customers. The only downside is that they need to improve on communication between management and employees.