Sunglass Hut Employee Reviews

Found 873 reviews matching the search See all 1,100 reviews
You run the store while making slim to none...
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 27, 2018
I was forced to run a store alone after 2 days of training. Dealing with constant thefts and no lunch break after working open to close. My management was great however the other stores, in my area treated there employees like trash. Time off was minimal and you do basically the same amount as management. For working long shifts with no break and no chair, $350 every 2 weeks is awful. And don't try to get more than 28 hours because they wont allow it, they don't want to give benefits. I'm glad i have a job now that makes 2.5 times as much. So if your looking in New Mexico for a job, avoid this place. Worked for 2 years with no raise.
Pros
Discount on high end brands
Cons
Not enough pay or benefits. Whole paycheck would need to go to 1 pair of shades.
Love it (for the most part)
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, MNNovember 12, 2018
Highly enjoyable and FUN place to work. The people were welcoming, open, and willing to help when I started with this company.

The company's overall philosophy to base all sales on creating an emotional connection with your customer is not only smart, but incredibly spot on for increasing sales numbers.

Benefits are decent. Due to it being a Luxottica owned company, free eye exams and very reasonable glasses/contacts plans are available.

Upper Management is great, however, Regional Managers and ZVP (any position above Store Manager) have too many duties and responsibilities, leading to some feelings of neglect by Store Managers. Both Regional Managers and ZVP's would benefit GREATLY by having assistants right underneath them to assist with day-to-day operations.
Good starting job- Sales Associate
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLNovember 9, 2018
Sunglass Hut offers your basic college student retail sales position. It can offer good basic retail experience, such as learning standard cash/card transactions, opening lines of credit, and most importantly, making sales. The one downside I've encountered in my time is that the pay is fairly low compared to other retail positions. Sunglass Hut does offer 1% commissions on sales as long as the entire store makes the sales goal, which only ever happens around half the time. You do get an annual (but extremely minor) raise that is easily outmatched by other large corporations. If you need a good starting job, this is fine. However, unless you are really in love with sales, I wouldn't recommend making a career out of it.
Pros
Flexible hours, good employee discounts
Cons
Short breaks, Must be on your feet for hours at a time, absurd dress code policies, low pay
educational and inconsistent
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Littleton, CONovember 20, 2018
Very great working environment, have to do a lot of work very very little salary in management. You have to excel in all categories with very little training, only 2 weeks for managers and associates. Policies and procedures inconsistent and can lose your position with any mistake.
Pros
fun working environment
Cons
not competitive pay
Great culture in s luxury branded company
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunrise, FLDecember 11, 2018
Great coworkers that show alot of support. Above leadership is good and you are always at the fashion forefront on many designer brands. Benefits are ok and the CEO is always visible in communicating.
Pros
Culture, fashion forward
Cons
Bad pay and commission structure
Horrible Manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILJanuary 13, 2019
Super abusive manager who refused to actively train me. Called my coworkers rude insults and was ableist. Called my coworker r*tarded and every time I asked a question I was told to figure it out myself. I was forced to open the store by myself on my third day without training or Macy's training. The one other associate that worked with me was great but also explained how you just have to ignore the insults and agree with the manager if you want to stay out of trouble. I never got an employee discount or a Macy's card like promised either. Manager complained about me going to school even though I was only unavaliable 1 day out of the week.
Pros
Nice coworker
Cons
Poor Management, Constant Stress, No training, Poor pay for the amount of work
Love it
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lincoln City, ORDecember 10, 2018
Quiet easy to handle job. From day to day you never know who you will meet or what challenges may arise but that's the best part is being your best all the time even when there are challenges.
Pros
Great atmosphere, people, and benefits
Cons
not alot of hours for people who aren't management
One of the best jobs I’ve had
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Maui, HIOctober 30, 2018
Salary plus commissions and with a bouns
Won several awards, trips,many sunglasses
Started number 4 out of 16 stores. Before 2 years being number 1 also help the spot years after.
Pros
Pay and atmosphere
Cons
Long hours scheduling was the hardest part. .mostly part time people with other jobs.
Fast paced and stressful
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lahaina, HIDecember 29, 2018
Upper management gives NO support to the Store managers. Many weeks I had to work 60 to 70 hours with no days off for 2 to 3 weeks in a row. Work life balance is out of the question.
Pros
Eye care for all employees. Yearly $500. Certificate
Cons
Over work employees
Sunglass Hut Expereince
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Exton, PAJanuary 17, 2019
I started as an entry level sales associate with no retail experience nor fashion knowledge when I started. Over time I had managers/trainers who taught me the fashion world and how to be a retail expert. I asked my managers how could I move up and to be given more responsibilities. Again the managers and bosses are were more than happy to show me what I need to know to get to the next level.

Every month was a learning experience and I was challenged every step of the way. Even the higher ups in corporate would come down and express the great job and progress they saw in me. Things like that re-sparked my love for the company.

Only downside is with every other retail position, holiday season. The long hours do wear down the body. Constant customers coming in and out your store can leave you dizzy and lightheaded. Fortunate for us the company gave us guidelines and materials we should have (ex. water, snacks, power bars, Tylenol, disinfection wipes, etc.

When I finally got promoted to store manager it has been a year and 3 months since my first day. Now I took everything I learned from all my leaders and mixed it into my own management ways.

Along with running my own store and team I started networking and recruiting members to the team. This was also a new challenge that all my past leaders and new leaders were happy to help me with. Being able to have a say so on who will work for me gave me a feeling of ownership I never had.
Pros
Opportunity for growth is present at all times
Cons
Holiday Hours
Cool relaxed place to work in
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2018
Considering this store is all about one on one interaction you truly learn how to talk to people from all over the world. and also how to tailor things to each person. If you dont make goals you do get put on a action plan, but it's all to make sure you're doing your very best. This company does give you the tools so that you can reach your goals, but sometimes the traffic just isn't enough. If your store doesn't make the week then you don't make commission which makes it a collaborative team effort to make the store do well.. management is great and very understanding. overall great place to work for.
Cons
not one is full time unless you're a manager.
SGH @ Macy's
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2018
As a 19 yr old working for a major company, selling high end accessories, I felt proud at first. As i worked there for over a year, i realized that the management team didn't motivate us to do anything other than sell and even after selling thousands of dollars in sunglasses, we were only given $100 or so in commission due to the low percentage. It was very competitive between associates and managers played favorites. I enjoyed the high end experience, selling to people who weren't knowledgable of the benefits of different kinds of glasses. I enjoyed dressing well and the overall atmosphere of the largest Macy's in the world!!
Sunglass Hut Ohare
Sales (Former Employee) –  O'hare International Airport, ILNovember 30, 2018
Poor management and hostile work environment in terms of selling sunglasses. Gossip and racial slures surround work environment from higher up. No empathy for employees lives outside work. & they wonder why there is the fast turn-around with hiring employees, when they should be building a strong team. Not a team in constant battle with them as manager. Plus hours are based on manager favoritism {if you were still considering the job}.
Pros
50% of glasses once a year
Cons
You cant return sunglasses
Great part time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 26, 2018
Great culture, very exciting work environment meeting new people, great energy, ok pay, not very many benefits. Overall good time, good place to begin in sales.
Former store manager
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 27, 2018
I’ll give you an honest post and see if it makes it to this site. If this saves one person from being stuck in the dark gloomy cycle that is retail life at SGH I will know I did my job. For starters: it pays the bills. I had bills paid as a single mom. Not enough of my bills to live on my own but enough to pay for what was necessary. Still needed help from the state to afford everything. It was a great learning experience. You learn politics of a company and how to be strategic and cut throat to beat out others. You learn how to put others down and how to succeed on your own all while making it look like your helping. You also will feel worthless. They break you down and make you think you aren’t good enough to work anywhere else. You’ll loose confidence in yourself. Every job interview you go in you’ll do terrible at and then you’ll believe SGH is the only place you’ll be able to work for the rest of your life. Don’t get stuck in the cycle. Take your job offer and use it to get a better job offer somewhere else. If your in college FIND A JOB IN YOUR FIELD. SGH won’t help you get anywhere. Learn from our mistakes. I finally got out of the cycle after a 4 year run. It’s not fun.
Pros
Discount eyewear
Cons
EVERYTHING actually everything.
Management is awful
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  O'hare International Airport, ILDecember 7, 2018
I dont know about other locations but the one at ohare was awful because of poor management and favoritism. The pay scale and commission for employees is pitifull, yet management gets a large chunk for commison. Growing at sunglasses hut (such as management) was looked down upon, and they wanted to keep us where we were at. And the discounts arnt worth the headache.
Pros
30% of sunglasses (specific brands)
Cons
Low pay, poor management
too many cons and not enough pros
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 31, 2018
The daily tasks are easy enough, however dealing with customers who constantly ask for discounts is annoying. The job duties are easy but the human resource department for the company are biased and geared to the needs of the company instead of a go -between the management and the associate. the overall atmosphere of retail has changed now customers are more demanding and instead of the management giving the employees the tools they need to be successful.
Pros
20% discount on vision exams, contacts, yearly certificates for desired items
Cons
lask of communication between staff, and region manager, lack of hours, silly expectations that can't be fulfilled
Great place to work if you like a fast paced environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Bluffton, SCMay 6, 2018
I was blindsided by Sunglass Hut when I started. I did not know the benefits that came along with working for Luxottica. Great insurance, fun work team and awesome Regional Managers. The discounts are a plus and learning about vision and eye care along with brands is really exciting. Stressful at times with managing and scheduling store hours but its worth it in the end. Great place for advancement and you have so many options all over the WORLD.
Pros
Pay, benefits, discounts
Cons
Retail, scheduling
Creative and fun work environment
Sales Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ontario, CAJanuary 3, 2019
The company really does encourage positivity and self growth. Through the company I’ve become more confident. There’s always room for advancement but a lot of times it isn’t always consistent, you sometimes feel a little replaceable by how fast the turnover can be.
Specialty Luxury Retail
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHNovember 27, 2018
A typical retail environment. I've learned management skills such as delegation of tasks, coaching and development of teams/associates, and time management. You are in a customer service field which builds interpersonal communication skills such as listening and understanding. But the main focus, as most field retail management positions, is I learned to sell.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sunglass Hut. Our community is ready to answer.