Sunglass Hut Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 210 reviews matching the search See all 1,271 reviews
Pretty great
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAJuly 8, 2019
The overall experience at Sunglass Hut is nice. I loved working here, it was a very nice atmosphere and an amazing team no matter what store in the world you go to. The only downfall is you don’t get that many hours if you’re part time.
Pros
Free eyecare even for part time, good pay
Cons
Short breaks, less hours than wanted and hours based on performance
Bad management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 2, 2019
Lack of employees, and lack of hours. A place you work maybe 3 days a week. No coverage, you work alone therefore a lot of theft since cases are open and the company doesn’t want to pay to have glasses covered. You get blamed.
Cons
Bad management
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDJuly 1, 2019
it's a great place to work at. Its super flexible but not the best full time if you're not all about the customer or sunglasses. Their benefirs are pretty good
Management isn’t supportive but you can earn lots of free glasses
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 16, 2019
My manager sucked. No communication whatsoever and he would intentionally make me do not required work that he wouldn’t make other store managers do it’s crazy boring.
Pros
Free glasses every year.
Cons
Single coverage. Bored all the time. Unrealistic goals.
Poor management.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bel Air, MDJune 11, 2019
While I did love my job as an associate at Sunglass Hut, my manager made it unbearable due to her lack of caring. I was basically the manager there since she was never around and wouldn't show up for her shifts. I was young and naive so I didn't strive for the compensation or position I so deserved. The company as a whole was wonderful and very caring of their employees.
great work , with good management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 8, 2019
need better commission pay out structure , with good management job is fun and energetic with lot of energy , not a hard job but with a good staff job get very competitive.
High expectations for to low of pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winchester, CAJune 5, 2019
Sunglass Hut expects a lot from their employees, commission only pays off if you get hired in a high traffic location. Team work is essential. Just make sure you have a good manager.
Pros
Getting nice associates to work with
Cons
Hardly any breaks
Relaxed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Auburn, MAMay 23, 2019
I thought Sunglass Hut was pretty cool. Only downside was it was in the mall so sometimes it would get hectic with people. Besides that it was easy and I would recommend it.
Pros
Discount on product
Cons
Short breaks
Fine if you're looking for short shifts
Sales (Former Employee) –  Sun Prairie, WIMay 20, 2019
Sunglass hut is an okay place to work, though I feel it is more suited for high-school students looking for 15 hours a week. The company likes to promote individuality while simultaneously taking away from the staff as far as commission goes. As a part-time employee, you receive no benefits, no bonuses, and no opportunities for a pay raise. You will be scheduled based on how well you sell and reach your individual goal. The staff is promised a bonus payment if the store makes its week in sales, meaning if you sell above and beyond your personal goal, you won't see any percentage of that money as long as your coworkers don't do as well.
Pros
Generally flexible hours
Cons
Low pay, codependent commission, no pay raise opportunisties.
Great Place to Work!
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXMay 16, 2019
Typical day involves helping the customers find the right pair of sunglasses and ring them up. The quotas can be hard to reach if your store is slow, but it is not a high stress job as long as you have a good manager.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Decent Pay, Stress-Free
Cons
Retail
Dedicated management and beneficial company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Rapid City, SDMay 11, 2019
Managers, HR, etc really do care about their employees and make sure voices are heard. I've been here for almost a year an I enjoy it. However if you work at a slower location it is 'long' hours on your feet just standing in one place. However during the summer when business picks up or if you work in a generally busy location, I don't mind the work! they teach you all you need to know about selling and the glasses, and the managers/employees are more than happy to work with you!
If you work hard and have a busy store, making weekly/personal goals and earning communion shouldn't be a problem.
Pros
Salary based + comission, flexible hours, onsite training/paid training
Cons
long hours on feet
Good Job Experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDMay 10, 2019
Great Job, learn how to fix glasses and care for them properly. Flexible hours, and good commission. paid breaks, and good training from regional trainer.
Pros
Free Pair of Sunglasses once a year, paid breaks
Fun place
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJMay 10, 2019
Depends on what location you are located but, my location was fun and filled. It was a popular location so always busy and you made commission and hourly so if you put in the work and made the sales you were rewarded with money.
Pros
Commission and hourly
Cons
management, standing all day, 15 minute breaks
Company believes it's own made up hype.
Sales associate / sales supervisor (Current Employee) –  East LA, California.May 5, 2019
The company is very cheap. They make it hard for managers to effectively implement their own standards.

- Not enough hours for floor coverage and they expect to simultaneously do many training modules.
- Not enough pay for expectations.
- Single coverage leaves employees alone on the floor.
- Company expects working breaks, against California law.
- Management duties are delegated to associates.
- key holder means 10 to 15 hours, no extra pay or incentive, but hold the same responsibilities of management.
- associate hours are literally 6 a week.

Companies with less volume and more overhead pay more and have more payroll available.

Luxury retailer without the luxury retailer pay.

Company vision is complete customer service, but low wages, lack of hours, and perceived lack of competition hold it back.
Pros
1 pair of sunglasses after 1 year. *all restrictions apply.
Cons
No real breaks, minimum pay, very limited hours.
Great company
STORE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 25, 2019
Pretty easy retail. Can get boring if it's slow because you work alone unless it's a weekend.
Goals are obtainable and you get bonuses & commission.
Great discount on sunglasses. Loyal upper management & a great training program to learn how to manage a store.
Pros
Great discount, easy to sell
Cons
Working single coverage most week days, no breaks, standing most of the day
Sunglass Hut in Bass Pro Shops, Not a very hard job but wasn't very fulfilling
Retail Sales Associate in Bass Pro Shops (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, IllinoisApril 24, 2019
Overall I had a positive experience, I liked my managers and coworkers, although they would contact me frequently when not at work. You get a pretty good discount at both Bass Pro Shops/Cabelas and all Sunglass Hut locations. However, I was never given a raise in my 9 months working there. They also promised weekly commission incentives that were rarely paid out due to high-impossible standards for receiving them. Job also requires you to have an open schedule in order to get promoted, and the promotion was not even full-time. Overall, it was a good temporary job that I got good experience from but not something I would want to do long-term.
Pros
good discounts, not a very stressful job, lots of down time
Cons
poor incentive pay out, no raises, tough to get promoted
Great Work Environment
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJApril 10, 2019
Truly a great place to work. Most of the hours are only part time (15-20hrs/wk) They really need to increase the hourly rate to match the cost of living especially in the tri-state area. But overall a really fun job.
really good college job
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 6, 2019
Really enjoyed working here. the pay was good for the amount of hours a typical college student can handle. The employee discount is really good. When it's not busy you can try on sunglasses to see how you like them that way you can better explain products to customers. I do think the training could have been better though.
Fun place to work at
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Montclair, CAMarch 28, 2019
Sunglass Hut is an amazing place to learn how to break out of your shell. Not only does the company train you and help you learn new ways to build on your selling skills, it helps promote great ways to learn how to fundraise, develop customer service skills, and to learn to communicate with a variety of customers. The hardest part of the job is repeating the current sales and promotions that are going on with each customer and remembering the core values of how to sell according to the company rules. A typical day of work can consists of an hour of back to back customers or a few hours of no sales. The team members that you usually work with are the best part of the work environment.
Pros
discounts on products, leniency of schedule
Cons
repetition, lack of sales traffic sometimes
Could be great, just isn’t for me.
Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 25, 2019
This can be an incredible job if you work for the right management team. If you work for a selfish manager who only cares about themselves you will not want to be at work.
Pros
Decent discount, good co workers, good benefits package
Cons
Missed breaks, part time employees are causal part time, lack of motivation from part time employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sunglass Hut. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

5.0Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss