Sunrun Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
They do not value their telecommuters
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  TelecommuterAugust 6, 2018
I absolutely loved my direct supervisors, and the job was easy enough as I was basically quality control. HR is a mess when it comes to communication with their telecommuters. They do not respond to HR requests in a timely manner, and even if you follow their procedures, you can be terminated without notice due to technicalities. I communicated in a relocation request that I would be moving back to my home state once a family matter was resolved. Three months after I moved back home, I lost my job without notice. They claim to be a human centered company, but I guess that telecommuters don't count as humans.
Pros
Convenient, great supervisors, clear expectations, performance based bonuses.
Cons
HR is inefficient and payroll is rude.
Exciting and fun place to work!!
Inspection Coordinator (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaJuly 31, 2018
One of the best companies to work for!! Very team oriented and informative. The workplace culture is relaxed and positive. Management team is reliable, very supportive.
benefits
Amazing Culture & Fun Industry
Solar Advisor (Sales) (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJuly 31, 2018
I truly enjoyed my time at Sunrun and am grateful that I was able to be a part of their mission, "to create a planet run by the sun". The benefits were great, I was able to work remotely, and the best culture in a company I've ever experienced.
Pros
Work Remotely, Great Management
Cons
Company changed a lot once it went public
Very good company
Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 28, 2018
Very good company with excellent opportunity to grow and develop your self as an individual and give you all the resources to be successful and spend a happy life.
Project Operations Temp (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CAJuly 25, 2018
I was a temp, so I didn't get the benefits of a full-time employee. I enjoyed working there. It has good, friendly people who seem to believe in what they do, which makes all the difference. Office was air conditioned, and full of snacks.
Pros
work parties/events, snacks, adjustable desks
Cons
I don't think you get a 401K but i'm not sure
Productive and fun place to work with plenty of benefits
Major Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 24, 2018
Working for Sunrun was a great experience. As the company grew I was offered multiple exciting and career building opportunities. I was treated with fairness and respect.

I would recommend working at Sunrun to anyone.
Employees are #'s.
Senior Solar Consultant (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 18, 2018
Sunrun is of the midset that employees can are like revolving doors. They will just train new ones over and over. Advancement is nearly impossible unless you are a minority.
Pros
Schedule Flexibility
Cons
Difficult to get internal assistance.
Jaded
Foreman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, MAJuly 14, 2018
Local management sucks. Upper management doesn’t do anything about it. The Foreman and the crews are the backbone holding it together. Managers should make more than those under them. Maybe they would do a better job. Gave my blood, sweat, and tears hear leading crews in over 5 states . Got Snubbed in the end for my efforts. Love the company and the CEO. My hope is that it changes at some point. And I believe it will. For now if you like working for the man. Sunrun’s your place. Your just a number.
Pros
All the tools you need shirts swag whatevs
Cons
Your a number in corporate America that’s it.
Many inherent management problems
Foreman/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Novato, CAJuly 11, 2018
In my time working for Sunrun, I did have a lot of fun. Mainly because of the coworkers. Upper management severely lacked though. The only decent boss I worked for was run out the the company simply because he wasn't a big enough Jerk. The company however does have potential to be great to work for.
Very good company
Field Energy Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 11, 2018
Decent base pay and good benefits. Decent commission structure but it changes constantly. Great coworkers and overall decent product. Stable job. Company culture is positive for employees.
Pros
Decent pay.
Cons
no opportunity for advancement for me
it was okay
SALES CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 10, 2018
It was okay went door to door in neighborhoods set up presentations explained incentives and price plans enthusiastically explained business history and why they should go solar with sunrun inc
It was a good experience
Installer (Current Employee) –  Greer, SCJuly 9, 2018
A typical day at work was meeting with everyone at 6:30am to do our group stretches and load up if we did not load up the night before. Then going to the customer's house to get the introductions out of the way and begin working on their installations and coming back to the warehouse once work was completed.

As a new installer, I learned how to use new tools and how to better communicate with the crew I was to get the job done and keep morale high.

The foreman on my crew was a had worker but their management skills were not great. Everyone did their part to make sure we were working smart and not hard. Basic stuff similar to not making too many trips or carrying unnecessary stuff.

Hardest part of the job was getting everyone motivated. Everyone is still tired at 6:30am and driving between 10 mins to 2 hours to a job site will get some crew members tired.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the client extremely happy about how well we performed and how well our work came out.
Pros
Company trusts you to be professional and do an over exceeding job in the client's eyes.
Cons
Very hot during the summer and working on 45 degree angled roofs
PHOTOVOLTAIC TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 8, 2018
Great company a lot of benefits great teamwork and management. Salary is not the best but a lot of OT. Give a lot of experience in the electrical field.
Benefits
Cons
Salary
GREAT until the wager on Hillary Clinton failed miserably
Material Planner (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 20, 2018
This used to be a great place to work. The openly bet against trump in the 2016 election and obviously lost HUGE! They laid off several people citing an anticipation of a very large downturn in demand for home rooftop solar. After digesting the reality of losing that huge wager, they "reorganized" and adopted the very type of extremist, combative, confrontational behavior that they wanted to avoid. I was lucky to be laid off when I was. Those that followed got far less in separation compensation than I did. The bosses changed and the most toxic among them was put in charge. Soon after, a lot of 2 and 3 year people quit due to the new attitude - others were told to quit or face consequences. Sunrun can't keep the people they hire. The same jobs have been posted for the last year and a half. They come, they see what it is, they leave. I loved it before it changed into a corporate concentration camp but I wouldn't work there for all the money in the world as of June 2018. Run away!
Pros
Very cool co-workers
Cons
As of 2018 it's 12 hour days and yelling and screaming bosses
Not so great
Installer (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 18, 2018
I would recommend going to a company where the employees work together better, have better attitudes and that the pay is higher, you can almost make the same starting here as you can making burgers and in n out..
Pros
Work outisde
Cons
Not safe, low pay
Fun place to work, great managers, great workplace culture, ability to manage work with minimal oversight
PROJECT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 16, 2018
Sunrun is a great place to work. Our branch is extremely supportive of one another and we work to create a successful environment. We thrive on our successes and strive to learn from our failures and mishaps. We make it a point for each person to know and understand their role, but to also feel comfortable to learn and ask questions. Sunrun provides a great place for people to grown and learn.
Pros
Supportive management
Cons
Advancement requires relocation
Sunrun
Retail Data Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 11, 2018
Sunrun was a great position for the period of my life that I workes there, it was fun and I only ever had 8 managers. Moving to San Jose is the only reaaon I'm not with them anymore.
fun workplace great co workers
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 7, 2018
Every one is nice, there are a lot of benefits, there is room for advancement, plenty of available overtime, not very technical, very basic troubleshooting.
Lead Gen
o Retail Solar Advisor (Current Employee) –  Hicksville, NYMay 26, 2018
Lead generation is hard and not for everyone. Understand the job and what it is really. Management is been very rocky, SUNRUN future it good. the benefits and comp are good but tough to earn. Dec-Jan is the worst
not a great experience
Solar Consultant (Current Employee) –  Hauppauge, NYMay 24, 2018
sold jobs that I never got paid for.....not happy......manager was not there to help train as he promised. I would not suggest working at Sunrun to anyone
Pros
Cons
money

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sunrun. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

70out of 100

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Sunrun.

Powered by Comparably