Sunsational Swim School Employee Reviews

It's honestly a great job...
Lead Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Yorba Linda, CAMarch 18, 2019
Like I said previously, I would've stayed forever if they would've just done more for the employees at the Yorba Linda location. Once Tanner became my manager, I was so happy! All the other ones sucked so bad. And they sucked because they would come in frazzled and start with "You don't know how hard it is being a manager. I have to do X,Y,Z and on top of that I have to deal with you guys." ......REAL HAPPY ONCE THEY ALL GOT REPLACED. Wrote letters to the owners and that's when we got Tanner. Also, something else that was frustrating was your first lesson was at 8 am and the gym didn't open until 8 am. Anyone you took at 8 am was 10 minutes behind and that put you 10-20 minutes behind the rest of the day until your break. And then voila! No break! They could've easily just had the 1st lesson at 8:20 so the first instructor could have time to set up. The hardest part of the job was honestly those few things. Everything else was cake. Such a great first job but make sure you're heard and cared about, honestly.
Pros
Great co-workers, manager's only came in once in a while, when they did was a con because they would complain about being a manager and blame it on you
Cons
cold water, must swim in barf, no designated break area, no workers rights board, you will slip and fall, you'll get a write up for swimming on your break even if you're a paying member.
Official response from Sunsational Swim School
April 1, 2019

I think you are reviewing the wrong company, we do not have pool locations.

Make your own schedule, determine how much you get paid
Seasonal (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 27, 2019
Create your own schedule by taking on lesson packages, Create an open and prompt line of communication with the client. Create lessons plans that are tailored to the customers. Communication with management is done through email and phone. The hardest part of the job is just dealing with traffic getting from the client's house. The most enjoyable part of the job is just being on your own and having a lot of independence.
Pros
be your own boss, make a positive difference in clients lives
Cons
owe money back on taxes, put miles on your own vehicle, constantly driving
review
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tomball, TXJanuary 15, 2019
I enjoy working for this company because it allows me to make my own schedule and work around any clients i may have at my salon. The amount of clients i get access to over the summer which is busy season is optimal.
Pros
make own schedule
Cons
have to file own taxes
Good people, seasonal job
Live Chat, Customer Support, Sales (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CA 92103August 11, 2018
The company is internet based. Their role is to match people who want swimming lessons with local independent contractor swim instructors. Most of their business is during the summer, so it's seasonal; no job security. Busy and sometimes stressful, as all customer service jobs can be.
Pros
Free coffee, bonuses for performance available ranging from Amazon gift certificates to free meals
Cons
Being between clients paying lots of money for swim lessons & swim instructors who are often flaky.
Easy summer job if you're in school
Private Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 14, 2018
It's a nice job if you want to work minimal hours, get good gas mileage, and like working with kids.

I found that the hours people request are very similar and it's hard to schedule lessons across town back to back if you want more than 7 hours a week. I get terrible gas mileage and i didn't find 25 an hour for a single swim lesson to be worthwhile when I'm driving 12 miles to get there and back.

There's no commitment so it's easy to pick up as many or as little lessons as you can.

They're not run out of Austin so if you need an questions answered you have to call. They're generally very helpful.
Pros
Set your own hours, fun kids you can work with consistently
Cons
Poor pay for the drive because of the short hours
IT was fun working with kids
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 14, 2018
Wish we would get more matched clients and get paid weekly . but iverall i i like working with this company. i get toowork with all different types of kids
Goof if you need a flexible schedule
SWIM INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 6, 2017
It was great because you could choose when you wanted to work and and if you wanted to pick up clients. The team was very friendly and would always reply to emails and get back to you in a timely manner.
Flexible and rewarding summer job!
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJune 26, 2017
I was looking for a flexible and enjoyable job for the summer while I also worked an internship. Sunsational was the perfect choice for me because of how accommodating and flexible the swim instructor position is. You can choose to teach as many or as few lessons as you want, which is perfect for anyone who has other commitments in their daily schedules. Additionally, the hourly pay is very good.
Pros
Great pay, very flexible schedule (make your own hours)
Cons
Taxes are not withdrawn from your paycheck- you have to do this yourself
Flexible schedule and workplace
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 23, 2017
This is my second summer working with Sunsational as a private swimming instructor and I really like it.
I like that I can choose my clients, schedule and workplace.
I know it's a really hard job to connect clients to instructors cause everyone has their own schedule and I think the booking department is doing a great job by responding promptly and making sure that everything is in order.
The hardest part is the commute. You spend a lot of time going from one class to another one.The most enjoyable part is teaching what I love to do to someone and see their improvement.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Good management
Cons
No Cons.
Was brought on but never assigned clients
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 23, 2017
Too many employees and not enough demand for on call swim lessons. Everything was managed through an online sign in form which made the business very impersonal.
Working at Sunstational Swim
Instructor (Current Employee) –  ArizonaJune 23, 2017
I have worked for this company for almost a year. I have had a great time training kids in the ways of the water. The short outs great and the opportunities are endless. Everyday there are new lesson available.
Great system for contracted work
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FlJune 23, 2017
This is a great company to work for to gain contracted work in your area for swim lessons. The clients put in their information and location and employees are able to choose which works best for their schedule and travel. Client concerns are mitigated by Sunsational. And the hourly pay for employees is highly competitive. All in all a great experience.
Lessons on your own time
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 23, 2017
Sunsational has been an amazing way for me to be connected with clients to teach swim lessons. Although the starting pay is just a little below other similar swim schools, the amount of lesson packages that you are able to pick up outweighs that. The pay bonuses from completion, to reorder, to social media reviews can really help to bump up any wage differences as well. Working with the management, every time I had a question it has been quickly answered.
Pros
Work on your own schedule, amazing clients, wide variety of clients, pay bonuses
Cons
contractor job (no taxes taken out), lower pay rates to start than similar schools
Worked at a Swim Academy for 3 yesrs
Swimming Instructor (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CAJune 23, 2017
I worked at a swim academy for 3 years and once I got hired at Sunsational and immediately knew this was a great job. From the emails coming in frequently for clients to calling for help when something goes wrong the company is always there for me. I get to teach at my own pace and make my own schedules which is a big thing for people who try and maintain a balance in their life or plan to work non stop. This company really has had me meet some great families who know love when I come by to teach their children.
Pros
Scheduling, teach what I've previously learned.
Cons
Nothing wrong with the company, just sometimes clients are a hassle!
Good company for extra part time work
Swim Teacher (Current Employee) –  Long Island, NYJune 23, 2017
I enjoy teaching with Sunsational Swim. They pay fairly well and it's super flexible. Good for supplemental income. Office staff is helpful and supportive. Organized company overall.
Pros
Flexibility, bonuses
Cons
The occasional difficult client
Flexible and safe scheduling with great benefits
Instructor (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCJune 23, 2017
I love working with Sunsational to book swim clients around the DC area. There are great families with really nice scheduling opportunities and flexibility. I love working one on one with parents to hear what goals they have for their children while watching kids improve and over come obstacles over time.
Pros
Meet nice families
Cons
Traveling to pools within 30 mile radius
Great low stress job with flexible scheduling
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 23, 2017
I am a college student and have worked for Sunsational since Summer of 2016. This job is low stress and great pay. I've been able to schedule lessons in between classes and fit work into a busy school schedule. One downside is that clients are often far away from where I live and sparse during the non-summer season. Overall, Sunsational is great for part time/seasonal work or if you just need some quick cash.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, good pay
Cons
Low hours, long commute to clients
Build your own schedule is the best part!
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Orange County, CAJune 22, 2017
Sunsational is awesome if you need the flexibility to make your own schedule! You can work as much, or as little as you want! Lovely clients, who are all so nice. The staff at Sunsational is also incredibly helpful and quick to respond to anything you might possibly need.

The best part of the job is meeting all the fun clients of all ages! I have had everything from 6 month old babies to 35 year olds training for triathlons. You meet such a mix of wonderful people, and all on your own personal schedule. It is a fantastic full time job, or part time job and that can fluctuate so easily with whatever you may need! Because you handle all the scheduling it can get a little complex dealing with clients schedules but it give you that much more flexibility.

I cannot stress enough how great it is to be able to pick and choose what you want. If you have no experience with toddlers, then you never have to book lessons for toddlers, or anything else you are uncomfortable with. If something is too far, or an age group you are unsure about, or any other issue then you can choose what works for you and what doesn't. This really is the best lesson model I have ever seen and I see myself working for them for many more years!

The issues are the competition to book lessons, you may go weeks without having a lesson in your area, and are competing with others to book it quickly. But other than that, its a great system and a fantastic job. The other issue is that while they do pay SIGNIFICANTLY above minimum wage, the prices they charge for lessons can sometimes seem a little too high
  more... when you are making 1/3-1/4 of it despite doing all the work (scheduling, drive time/travel, teaching classes, skill charts and completion sheets, ect.). However there is the chance for bonuses!  less
Pros
Flexible schedule, build own schedule
Cons
you do all the work, competitive booking
Easy
Instructor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 22, 2017
Easy, simple sign up......Sunsational makes it easy to choose assignments and easy to receive payments. Fast response to questions....
They are all about supporting their employees, supplying us with information, and l'm so glad l signed on with them!
Pros
Easy to work for
Cons
More assignments than l can accept
Great Company to work for
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 22, 2017
I've worked with this company for two years now and they have been very accommodating and considerate. They make it very easy to book clients and get paid. I would gladly recommend this company for anyone who enjoys teaching private lessons and has a car.
Pros
open line of communication, easy to book clients, easy to get paid

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sunsational Swim School. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3