SUNSET PRODUCE Employee Reviews

2.4
Ratings breakdown
Run!
Grader (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MichiganAugust 15, 2018
I've applied directly through Sunset's website so I was a full time permanent employee and not through temp. This was the most disorganized, unprofessional place I have ever worked. The general part of orientation was okay and expected; but when they put us on the line for 2hrs to try to figure out how everything worked, nothing was happening. Literally, we stood around for 2hrs trying to figure out what to do because the lines they put us in didnt have any more to do. In order for us to finally leave, we had to have the line leader sign forms stating that basically said we participated with the rest of the line. We literally followed the line leader everywhere for 20mins because he wouldn't stop to sign our papers real quick so we could go back to the HR Dept. And finish up with the rest of the orientation. First day on the job, we came in ready to do our work. Instead, the leader that was suppose to assign us our lines and duties had us do her work for her instead so we still had no idea what to do when we got on the line. The other employees dont speak English so theres no form of communication whatsoever. After doing the leaders work, we still had about 3hrs left before ending of shift but she sent us home/to clock out... at 2 o'clock IN THE MORNING! We catch the bus to and from work so we literally had to sit at the bus stop for hours until the first bus starts running at 4:30.. bus was late so we didnt even get on the bus until 5. There was nothing special about their benefits, I recieve all the same ones for free with my Medicaid. Why would I pay for medical benefits  more... that I already receive for free?! I never came back after my official first day and I do not regret it. This was a year ago. Also, the temp service was getting paid more and more often. As to us, full time, permanent employees, that worked midnights and recieved a .50 cent shift premium, we only got paid $9.50/hr, paid biweekly. Does this make sense to you?!
Also, I didnt even get the position that I applied for.
Pros
HR was responsive, professional & nice
Cons
Everything else. Pay, benefits, environment, etc;
Busy
Produce Grader/Line Administrator (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIAugust 3, 2018
Liked working there, very fast paced production for a produce company. Supervisors very helpful and allowed you to make decisions of your own.. The only disposition was it was very cold due to keeping produce fresh.
Don't do it !
Grader (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIApril 19, 2018
I quit my first day on the floor . It's not worth it at all. The warehouse is cold. EXTREMELY MESSY AMOUNG THE SUPERVISOR S AND EMPLOYEES. Highschool atmosphere
Cons
STAY AWAY DO NOT WORK HERE. They do not care about you even though they say they do, you can be replaced quicker than a heartbeat.
production admin (Former Employee) –  livoniaMarch 22, 2018
you go in at 5:15 and sometimes do not leave until 6. they only are about the bottom line, they send out the worst produce to many of their top tier customers, think about that when you see their products in the marketplace. they are not only care about you if you make them lots of money and even then you are expendable.
Pros
nonn
Cons
lack of effective management, workers that do not understand you and no interperters overall bad place to be
Don't do it
Food Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 12, 2018
The pay isn't worth it.
The environment is awful along with the management
They want you to do way too much work for no reason at all and if you take any breaks there are so many ugly stares! There isn't a real reason to come unless you just need fast money.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Absolutely nothing
Stay away from this place!!!!
Machine Opreator (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MINovember 5, 2017
Don't work here this company doesn't care about their employees at all and the pay is trash just like the management and they don't care about your safety like they claim because the machinery is old and out dated behind repair
Not a fun place to work
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIAugust 27, 2017
The people there are very rude talk to you like you are kids
They try to not let you voice your opinion on matters
Nothing is ever private like they say it is
Pros
Days you have off
Cons
Pay, management
sunset pro
Grader (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIAugust 10, 2017
I like working here, it's just the culture people take over if you don't understand something , they grade the wrong way , some don't check what they doing . when one mess up we all mess up.
Pros
the days you have off
Cons
culture people take over everything
Low life employees
Quality Inspector (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJuly 20, 2017
90% of the employees are of low morals and principles.Also management are of the same character. The place is no more than a ghetto social club. It is a meet market.Hostile work environment.
Pros
Days off
Cons
Days working there
Absolutely terrible
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIMarch 27, 2017
This job isn't worth it at all. If you have a life, DONT WORK HERE. There is no such thing as a life after you start there. You don't get paid enough for all you do. The temps are usually rude and speak a different language so they don't even listen to managers or supervisors. I'm a very quiet person at this job and people tend to mess with you because of that. 2 half hour breaks and usually they aren't after 4 hours. Used to go 6 hours later and it's stressful to our bodies and feet. They don't care about you. Don't work here unless you absolutely need the money.
Pros
Probably nothing
Cons
30 minute Short breaks, some rude coworkers, pay, long hour, exhausting
It's fun
Produce (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, ILFebruary 4, 2017
It's nice and fun it mainly depends on your position. Others complain but I enjoyed it very friendly. Clean and healthy environment. Pay is garbage but other then that it's good.
All the bad reviews are true
Grader (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 17, 2017
Every last one of the bad reviews are true. Very long hours. Not paid enough. No real chance of advancement. Very cold environment. Though the work is easy, the company gives you sub parr product for you to grade. The benefits are kinda nice after 90 days, but honestly you wont wanna stay that long.
Pros
Benefits health, dental, vision.
Cons
Bad pay, cold, long hours, terrible management
Worst job ever weird people
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MIJanuary 9, 2017
This is what we call modern day slavery . They do not respect employees it's freezing they got you picking mold off tomatoes but don't worry they make sure you wear gloves and this ugly popcorn bonnet on your head or you get a point a warning .pay is not enough it's really like being in jail no windows u get that short recess break and back to the dungeon if you're hired through the company they give you the old tomatoes they can't make any money off of as a token of appreciation.how sweet are they ilumanati illuminati MASTronardi
Pros
Free bad produce....pick mold
Cons
Slavery
Expect to be worked like a slave.
Produce Inspector (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MINovember 28, 2016
Only work here if you can't find any other job,temp workers get no benefits & get fired for having to leave early once,co-workers are friendly for the most part.
Pros
Paid every week, plus vending machines in the break rooms.
Cons
having to stand in a line for 30 to 40 minutes hoping you get to work.
Cold sweat shop
Hilo driver (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIAugust 22, 2016
This was a horrible place too work for unless your working with the managers. they don't care for employees doesn't give out raises I worked there for 3 years and only got a 20 cent raise.. Don't waste your time with this company
Pros
In the summer the air feels good
Cons
This is not the only temp agency in town.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJuly 12, 2016
I've worked for mastronardi & I can admit the bad reviews are true. However, If you put in extra effort to find another temp agency you will like it. Ask friends ask families ask Facebook where are more temps at trust me there are agencies paying much better with better atmosphere.
Pros
Cons
all the bad reviews are true
Don't say I didn't warn you!
Ex-Employee (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIJune 16, 2016
Please find another company. Mastronardi produce is the worst company I have ever worked for. The company pushes a great idea with their 5 non negotiable traits. You honestly feel in the front office as you start your training they actually believe their ideas. You will come to realize very quickly that somewhere there is a disconnect. You will be treated horribly by management once you are hired. Told you are less than nothing. You are not important in anyway. You are and will be replaced if you don't beat them to it and quit first.
Your fellow employees most will not speak English and the other half will be lazy, high, or drunk most of the time "You will see all the bags and bottles in the parking lot when you get to work in the mornings" which only makes your day harder. Days has to fix just about everything nights produces because of that, so plan on being kept as late as they can keep you everyday you work.
It is very cold depending on the time of year summer isn't so bad but winter is horrible if not prepared, so understand that going in. Pay is not great and they will do whatever the can not to give you a raise. And their 3-4 schedule is not easy on the employee nor their families. You will be exhausted physically and mentally. The best thing going for the company is the health insurance. It's actually not bad compared to most companies. If you do decide to take this job I wish you the best.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Management, schedule, pay
No room for growth!!!
Packer/Shipper (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLApril 1, 2016
Poor management. There is no one in management with real life understanding. They look out for the greed of the company only and will not invest in they're employees at all. They treat you as if you're stupid and refuse to communicate with the team about production. So unorganized. I hated it . 8.50 a hour is not enough for the mess you will put up with.
Pros
Cons
everything
poorly managed company, unless your a friend of family
production supervisor (Former Employee) –  livonia miOctober 25, 2015
The claim is this is a good company to work at and business is booming, however in production your job and the company depend on your next production run. This is beyond expected results oriented management and is a feature of poor management as a whole. Production managers are lazy or so bad that they have no other way to motivate you other than threats.

If you want to grow a career here you need to be family or be good at making friends. Otherwise, shut up, do your job or leave.

Horrible communication, no attempts to sell the company vision, inspire or develop a workforce or even reward you for the success the company claims.

You get 3 or 4 days off a week so you do a good work/life balance.
Pros
Days off, decent benefit package
Cons
Mediocre managers, no incentive for employees to be succesful, cronyism and nepotism
Overall sucks
Production (Former Employee) –  Lakeland,flSeptember 29, 2015
As an ex employer there it was one of the worst companies I've ever worked for just because it's so unorganized nobody ever seems to know what's going on and the product is always nasty. The managing staff seems to always never be found it's just not worth working here for it's pay and you can't never spend time with your family cause of the new schedules they came up with just cause of their greed of more volume of work. I was let go cause of me doing my job and bringing in work to the production base in other words whatever the issue was with management I'm sure it was personal but they did me a good favor. This company is GARBAGE!!
Pros
No respect for hard working people
Cons
To many broken promises