Sunset Retirement Communities and Services

Sunset Retirement Communities and Services Employee Reviews

Best company to work for in the area
Wait Staff (Former Employee) –  Jenison, MIFebruary 8, 2019
Sunset is a great place to work. Due to the nature of the jobs, some things can be stressful. But I experience growth everyday from the challenges that arise, and I am grateful for that. They are very good about working with students, and even offer tuition reimbursement. The management is friendly and open to suggestions if you are willing to communicate with them. The hardest part of the job is the high paced environment. But the best part of the job is getting to know the residents on a personal level. Sunset will always feel like my second home.
Pros
Paid break, free lunch, great benefits, opportunity to grow, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Physically tiring, dealing with unhappy residents
Not a place id go
Resident Aide (Former Employee) –  Jenison, MIDecember 10, 2018
I worked there for a few mths as it was ok at first and I seen how some staff was more worried bout gossip bout others and their phones while pager was going off on repeat. A co worker had dropped 7 residents in 3 mths yet they never approached her bout the issue just advanced her to another part of building. Dinner was always late for residents and us workers would get yelled at by the residents.. All in All never have I seen so much nonsense at a place,
Pros
Made a couple of friends while working there
Cons
Management and some co workers are real petty and they pick and choose
Wait Staff (Current Employee) –  Jenison, MIDecember 1, 2018
Sunset Manor is a good place to work. It gets very chaotic at times, during serving times typically but it is also very flexible with hours and time off. Overall a good first job or job in general.
Fast paced and very busy
LPN/charge nurse (Current Employee) –  Grandville, MichiganSeptember 1, 2018
If you're just getting started with nursing, it's a great place to learn. Was too fast paced for me and too stressful. Had alot of problems with the families of the residents not understanding the aging process and being upset with things you couldn't control. The families blame the caregivers.
Pros
Coworkers, good staffing most of the time.
Cons
Stress with the job
A day at Sunset
STNA (Current Employee) –  Sylvania, OHApril 24, 2018
The ratio from aide to resident was amazing, and allowed you to give more attention and care to each individual. The staffing was helpful and upbeat. Most days here went smoothly.
Management/Nurses
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jenison, MINovember 17, 2017
Why on earth would you (management) put a bunch of Acute Care Nurses in a rehab/LTC setting and expect that to work is beyond me. They are petty, gossip and trash each other, especially new employees.

Acute care nurses don't trust, and are controlling, and thus, they are not able to orientate an individual
Pros
nice facility
Cons
management nurses
good company , poor management
Charge Nurse LPN (Former Employee) –  Grandville, MINovember 2, 2017
Micromanaging is rampant, stress-induced verbal outbursts from management not uncommon. A truly over the top love of redundant paperwork and forms, little or no nursing development or training for nurses who are struggling. Not a good place for new nurses or staff with experience who like organization and efficiency, they have neither.
Fast paced
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dubuque, IAOctober 26, 2017
Working here is never dull. You'll always be on your feet doing something. The residents are so sweet to you, some even have pets. I'm only leaving bc I'm currently on 3rd shift and I cannot be anymore.
Great place ti work employees are treated well.
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Jenison, MIOctober 23, 2017
I worked for them for 21 years. The working environment was wonderful. All supervisor and staff work well together. It is a Christian environment and the residents are treated very good. If you are looking for advancemental,this is the place to work. If I had not relocated I would still be there full time.
Great Management
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jenison, MIJuly 13, 2017
Working at sunset was rewarding but also hard since the pay rate wasn't what i was looking for. I stayed as long as i did because my Head Chef/Manager was a great person to work for!
Residents are wonderful.
Cena/med passer (Former Employee) –  Grandville, MIJune 28, 2017
If you love working with the elderly then this is what will keep you there. It's a beautiful building(Rose Garden). However, recently, the management took a turn for the worst pushing out genuine, good, long term employees out of the work place and filling their place with non caring cheaper paid new ones. Sad.
Pros
Loving residents and they offer some good benefits
Cons
Constant mandating, no help from clinical managers, no CENA/true breaks, etc
Caring and sincere geriatric care.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Jenison, MIJune 26, 2017
A senior living community in Jenison MI. Provides ageing in place care to the greater grand rapids area. Four different campus's providing care ranging from independent living for seniors to rehabilitative services and long term care.
New management
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Jenison, MIJune 12, 2017
New management came into play and that place took a turn for the worse. The residents don't deserve whats happening to that place. Lies are a common thing there unfortunately. Saying they are "fully staffed" yet they still have to bring in volunteers to help the servers out. Makes no sense to me.
Pros
Great benefits, making friends with both staff and residents
Cons
Lied to a lot, ask for suggestions yet they don't listen, pay
Loved it!
Residential Aide (Former Employee) –  Sylvania, OHApril 18, 2017
Working with the elders for 7 years really gave me a sense of purpose and understanding. That job allowed me to care and nurture those who were at the end of their life and there is no better experience.
A Company You can be Proud of!
Administrative (Current Employee) –  Jenison, MIMarch 13, 2017
Sunset has been an amazing company to work for. Other companies say they promote from within, but Sunset actually does by giving staff many opportunities to grow to reach their personal and professional goals. They value their staff and management continues to do what's in the best interest for their staff and residents. I am so proud to work for a company that I can say I would trust to care for my family.
Pros
Tuition assistance, free health plan option, awesome retirement plan, Christian environment, serving the local community.
An amazing experience that taught me many things.
STNA/CNA (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 30, 2017
I was 18 when I started working at Sunset. I loved working there because my co-workers were so amazing and hard working. If anyone was struggling with a task someone was always there to help. Everyone worked together and we all got things done.
I miss my residents and working with them. It was such a great stretching experience for me to working with many different people who had different disabilities. You don't expect to love so many different people all at once. The simplest tasks that we do everyday are something that I and my other co-workers had to help with. You gain a new perspective on life and on humans. We all need each other in one way or another.
Pros
Residents, coworkers, clean work environment
Cons
Bad hours
Great Work Place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Mountain City, TNJune 28, 2016
A typical day at work would be me opening store for business hours and managing store. I would make sure store inventory was stocked and accounted for and made sure great customer service was upheld. I learned that a great smile and hard work goes a long way. Sense it was a family owned business the co-workers was easy to get along with. The hardest part of job was making sure money and inventory was accounted for and maintaining a steady profit. The most part I enjoyed from my job is working with family and running a business I enjoy, while providing great customer service.
Pros
Self Employed
Cons
Rate of pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sunset Retirement Communities and Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Sunset Retirement Communities and Services Reviews by Location