Sunwest Bank Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great environment for growth
BSA/AML INVESTIGATOR II (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 9, 2018
Ive been with SWB for just over a year and found that my fellow employees have been great. Management is just so-so. We got kind of steam rolled with an out of the blue layoff.
Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 30, 2018
I enjoyed working at Sunwest. I left because of the commute, with it being in Irvine and there no way to work telecommute it was inconvenient. So I only changed jobs due to able being closer to home. Pay and benefits were just like any other banking job. We did get surprised with a small bonus around Christmas time. 100 bucks.. wasn’t too bad.. especially when you aren’t expecting it! It’s at a beautiful location too which makes it easy to go on walks or walk to lunch. I worked at their corporate office.
Rewarding
Employee (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 16, 2018
Everyone makes their own career path here. Those that are driven and want to take on larger roles or bigger projects will have many doors opened for them. It is a work hard play hard environment but I have learned a ton and been given tons of exposure.
Pros
Exposure
Bottom of the totempoll
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAFebruary 26, 2018
Management was awful, work environment was a disaster; there were major communication barriers between management and staff and if she couldn't relay her message she would call it quits and lock herself in her office.
Hard place to work
SVP (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 23, 2018
The company has undergone significant changes in the past 2 years. Very little for the better.
New President, formerly the COO, has a lot to improve upon. Executive Management has changed over completely and will cycle through again in the next year or two.
Medical Benefits are the worst I’ve ever had. Extremely high costs and poor coverage providers.
Culture is attempting to be millenial centric but ignores the other 40% (and dwindling) of the workforce.
Lack of diversity in both race and age. All the new hires are young and inexperienced. The board and executive management are all rich white men.
Pros
Snacks, 401k match
Cons
Medical Benefits, bad management, poor communication
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 7, 2018
Temp position at Sunwest Bank. Worked for two months. Processed loan payments and loan advances on consumer/commercial lines of credit. Prepared commercial loan files for auditing. Scanned credit and collateral documentation on commercial loan files. Great company. Would recommend this company.
Pros
Great experience
Cons
temp position
Good company
Senior Vice President, Business Development (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAJanuary 4, 2018
A very good company. However at that time the economy was changing and it effected our ability to define our product. What many have been approved on Wednesday was no longer on Thursday. We had to work twice as hard to achieve the same results.
Was once the best place to be ... Now not so much.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CANovember 18, 2017
Prior to current Ops Admin SWB was a pleasure to work for.
Now ... People there that have been demoted, and one of the reasons a complete department was moved to Idaho because no one in CA was capable of running it.
But they r in charge of running branch admin and have a lower approval limit than the managers. Do not know how to do the work in a branch ...
Attempting to run and oversee branches and incapable .... Should be writing procedures prior to putting changes in place.
Cart is constantly being put before the horse.
Admin NVR follows thru with appts w/staff ... Nor do they communicate that they are not following thru due to xyz ... They just don't show. They will show if they have something negative to say with bells on ready to
make you feel less than. No consequences they do as they please.
Think I'm exaggerating they have had approximately 60% turnover in the past 2 yrs. From Sr Management to tellers.
Pros
Prior Mgmt
Cons
Current Mgmt
Inconsistent Work Environment
Sales (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CASeptember 20, 2017
There is a lack of consistent leadership and training here. Management is prone to impulsive decisions which leads to poor planning, job instability, and lack of communication across the team.
Pros
Majority of the individuals are hard working genuine people
Cons
Lack of training, inconsistent management
had many opportunities with Sunwest
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM 87102March 19, 2017
I worked at Sunwest many years ago. I was a Administrative Secretary, I worked in the collection department. I was a teller, and an ATM data entry clerk. Also, I worked in the ATM balance department. I was in the theft prevention clerk. I was the department float, etc covered vacations and ill employees positions in the event they were unable to fulfill their duties. I was a Sunbest award recipient. I have the opportunity to learn so much.
Pros
great place to work
Small, but nice
Teller (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 13, 2017
I only worked there for a short time, but I enjoyed my work, and the management handled things well. I would recommend this company, whether foe an entry level position, or otherwise.
The people I worked with were fantastic
Branch Secretary/Teller (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NMFebruary 21, 2017
I processed loans and also assisted clients with transactions and all other teller duties as / when needed. Balanced cash drawer daily and assisted with vault coverage and balancing
Pros
The general public
Cons
Having to turn someone down for a loan
productive
Loan Counselor (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXDecember 28, 2016
SunWest Bank does not exist anymore, sold to Bank of America. But when I used to worked there was nice, good atmosphere, nice employees.
Pros
free lunch once a month
Not a good environment
SVP (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAOctober 13, 2016
With the leadership changes this past year the work environment is very low! Leaders are hostile and unappreciative of the hard work of the staff. High turn over of staff and leadership since November 2015. No leader on-site to promote good harmony or security to staff. Once a great company but today it is gone. I loved my job prior to November 2015.
Pros
Pool table, ping pong table, bar...
Cons
Pool table, ping pong table bar... They want to be google when they are a bank!
N/a
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tustin, CAJune 21, 2016
Performing intermediate duties and support related to branch operational activities and financial services; processes all new account transactions; assisting customers in their selection of various accounts and financial services; cross-selling the Bank's products and services; opening, maintaining and closing of all account types; performing branch clerical duties; promoting business for the Bank by maintaining good customer relations and referring customers to appropriate staff for new services.
good
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMarch 27, 2016
California owned bank, great environment loved the clients, management needs to communicate with staff better. otherwise company has closed several branches in Az and taken many jobs from people
Would not recommend
Emplioyee (Current Employee) –  IrvineOctober 7, 2015
I would not recommend Sunwest as a place to work. The company culture is very slow and unimpressive. Very behind on the times and upper management is filled with C-players.
Stressful workplace with no synergy among staff and unexplained expectations from superiors and lack of training
CLIENT SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Middleton, IDApril 20, 2015
Co-workers were very difficult to work with. They had many insecurities and lack of team work and little self-motivation.
The most difficult part of the job was picking up slack of other employees and trying to encourage them to work harder.The manager as not supportive in this area. One employee was late at least three days a week (after the bank was already "open for business"), and nothing was ever said, I had to do all the "opening duties".Such employee also answered her cell phone with clients in her window and management never addressed that situation. Many other situations occurred.
Most enjoyable part was the pay was decent and we had weekends off, and paid holidays.
Medium Size Company
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 28, 2015
Sunwest Bank had plenty of opportunities for advancement and was a good environment to work. They had great people there and people that could think out of the box. It was a great stepping stone for the young and I would love to back.
Pros
Lot of opportunities, great environment.
Fast paced work environment
Cash Management Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Majority of workday spent training and assisting bank clientele with online banking and cash management products. Working directly with existing clients to ensure optimal use of all available banking products (wire, ACH, online balance transfers, account reconciliation) and setting up and training new clients on how to properly utilize the wide array of available services. Due to bank acquisition a great deal of my time was also spent soothing incoming client concerns. Working directly with client base on a daily basis gave me the opportunity to develop strong professional relationships.