SUNY Downstate Medical Center Employee Reviews

attending physician
Clinical Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 18, 2018
i worked at the clinic
supervised medical residents and nurses
took care of patients
did administrative work-called insurance companies, to authorise tests or medications
Productive work place
Clerkship Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 15, 2018
Overall the job is good. Keep focused and thing will be fine. Administration keeps changing, hopefully things come together sooner than later. A lot of changes are happening
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not a lot of advancement
wireless Network upgrade
Cisco Security Wireless Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York University School of Medicine, NYOctober 19, 2018
Network Cisco Security Wireless Analyst on Cisco Wireless Control System (WCS) with 10 controllers and WiSM2, Cisco Clean Access, Infoblox to control the DHCP, DNS for the wireless SSID, WhatsUpGold and KIWI syslog server.
 Experience with network monitoring, management and packet analysis tools to monitor and troubleshoot network/application performance and connectivity problems (SolarWinds, Cisco Prime, Cisco ACS, Wireshark, AirMagnet)
 Evaluated the existing Wireless networks for upgrade and new installations of 1500 Cisco AP’s.
 Designed and implemented of wireless system diagrams using Visio for new locations.
Pros
Nice enviroement
Cons
Goog peoples to work with
Adolescent Education Program
Senior Peer Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 17, 2018
This is not a hospital job. This is an adolescent education program, focused on providing education to the community. It is for teenagers in high school and is more of an after school job with a stipend.
Great summer job
Medical Records (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 1, 2018
A typical day at work is easygoing as long as you are clear on the task you are doing. The staff is very helpful and nice and they know how to take the edge off a stressful day with light office humor.
great place lots to learn
New York (Former Employee) –  New YorkSeptember 17, 2018
Did my internship her it was excellent i learned so much the doctors the staff were great would of loved to be an employee there if i ever get the chance
As a resident and fellow, my education and experience was valuable
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 27, 2018
As an internal medicine resident and hem/onc fellow, my education and experience was valuable at Downstate, but the work environment and the work/life balance esp. during residency was toxic to my well being. Some positive changes have happened at the medical center to support resident physicians, but there is room for improvement. Overall the staff are nice to work with.
Pros
Collegial, cooperation among staff, potential for academic growth
Cons
Culture differences, stressful residency with compromise in education, work/life imbalance
Secure place to work and learn
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 12, 2018
Excellent work environment for learning and gaining experience. Surgeons and doctors are at the top of their clinical practice and they genuinely care about their patients and other medical providers.
Management can be a little rough around the edges.
Salary is not competitive but benefits are better than those offered at private institutions by far.
Pros
Excellent for learning, excellent benefits
Cons
Salary not ompetitive
Scientific project driven by caring minds
Senior Research Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2018
The Neurodynamics Laboratory fosters a collaboration of scientific minds and merging passions aimed at treating and ending the growing problem of alcoholism and substance abuse.

Under the oversight of our team's Private Investigator, I was encouraged to learn, grow and shine. My talent for precision and desire to consistently collect high quality data won me the favor of my manager and have made me an integral part of the research team.

Rather than adopt a dry scientific approach to our research - viewing data as nothing more than raw statistics - we maintain a humane perspective. Our data is a reflection of the experiences and struggles of our research participants. This view has served to improve the quality of our research and has shaped my analytical personality.
Good Benefits
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 30, 2018
Great place to work if your main goal is good benefits including a pension. Hard to find parking in area it is best to take public transportation to hospital.
Productive and professional
Staff Nurse, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 15, 2018
Overall this company cemented the framework for preparing me for my advanced degree as a family nurse practitioner. I will always be grateful for the time working alongside the intensivists and residents in the pediatric intensive care unit.
Pros
caring, compassionate and cohesivness of the work environment
Cons
long hours, skipped breaks
Supportive and Demanding
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 5, 2018
I can't speak about the medical units of SUNY Downstate Medical Center, which is a large institution. However, my experience of the administrative units I worked in was overall positive.
Good learning experience
Staff Assistant II / Registrar Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 27, 2018
I learned many phases of the daily medical routine.
i adapted well to a fast paced working situation and communicated well with other employees and clients.
Pros
Fast paced and room for growth
very nice place
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2018
It was a great place to work. They have great benefits and great coworkers. I grew a lot in my time there. I felt supported and uplifted. I was able to impact my coworkers as well.
Pros
There were great moments.
Cons
It was hard leaving and starting school.
Not the best
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 9, 2018
This isn't a workplace that encourages it's employees to be the best they can.

Most people just do the minimum and collect a pay check and wait for over time work.
I love SUNY Downstate
RN, MD and Cardiology Team (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 27, 2018
Working at SUNY Downstate can be very hectic at times but I enjoy working here. The environment here has allowed me to grow in many ways. I am proud to work here, the organization is very culturally diverse. Over the past 10+ year here, I have formed strong, life long bonds with my coworkers, we make a great team.
Great place to learn new things
STAFF SUPPORT-HBO/OPD (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 24, 2018
Very professional environment. Staff is easy to get along with. Benefits are good along with vacation and sick time. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to help members of your community.
Private Consulatant for Arthur Ashe Center for Disease Control
Private Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2018
Fellowship Training from 2016-2018, worked with Medical Professional from different departments in Pathology, Radiology, Psychiatry. I would recommend this as a primary care facility.
Great postdoc experience
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 24, 2018
I was a postdoc there many years ago in Cell Biology and Anatomy department like now. It was a well run lab with productivity and assistance with publishing.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
bad location
Good place to advance.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 13, 2018
I loved my job working for SUNY Downstate Medical Center. It is great working for the people in my community. I learned a lot and wouldn't mind working there again if I had to. I enjoyed every aspect of the job and the people I worked with from job duties to collaborating with fellow Nurses.
Pros
Benefits of the job.
Cons
Management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

SUNY Downstate Medical Center Reviews by Location