SUNY Downstate Medical Center Employee Reviews

Not the best
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 9, 2018
This isn't a workplace that encourages it's employees to be the best they can.

Most people just do the minimum and collect a pay check and wait for over time work.
I love SUNY Downstate
RN, MD and Cardiology Team (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 27, 2018
Working at SUNY Downstate can be very hectic at times but I enjoy working here. The environment here has allowed me to grow in many ways. I am proud to work here, the organization is very culturally diverse. Over the past 10+ year here, I have formed strong, life long bonds with my coworkers, we make a great team.
Great place to learn new things
STAFF SUPPORT-HBO/OPD (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 24, 2018
Very professional environment. Staff is easy to get along with. Benefits are good along with vacation and sick time. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to help members of your community.
Private Consulatant for Arthur Ashe Center for Disease Control
Private Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2018
Fellowship Training from 2016-2018, worked with Medical Professional from different departments in Pathology, Radiology, Psychiatry. I would recommend this as a primary care facility.
Great postdoc experience
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 24, 2018
I was a postdoc there many years ago in Cell Biology and Anatomy department like now. It was a well run lab with productivity and assistance with publishing.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
bad location
Good place to advance.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 13, 2018
I loved my job working for SUNY Downstate Medical Center. It is great working for the people in my community. I learned a lot and wouldn't mind working there again if I had to. I enjoyed every aspect of the job and the people I worked with from job duties to collaborating with fellow Nurses.
Pros
Benefits of the job.
Cons
Management.
Good collaboration and supportive environment
Neurodiagnostic Internship (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 13, 2018
I really like the group that I was working with. The manager was very knowledgeable and reasonable. The physicians that we are working with are very nice to each other and to the staffs as well. I have learned a lot from this experience.
Pros
good environment
Cons
Unpredictable work scheduling
Amazing place to work.
Medical Assistant (Intern/ Trainee) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 7, 2018
In my short time at Suny Downstate I mastered the techniques of drawing blood, EKGS etc. The typical day was moderate patient flow. Management was amazing and took great care of the employees. most enjoyable part of the job was working with loving people and being able to intreact with patients.
Pros
Free lunches, Team work, Great leaders
Productive, fun environment
Summer Training Institute - Trainee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 5, 2018
A regular day working at SUNY Downstate included meeting other high school students just like myself. We all brainstormed and contemplated ways to teach those younger than us as much as we possibly could
Great job quick paced
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 2, 2018
I enjoyed working at suny downstate, I worked a 9-5, doing all executive assistant work. I helped with their annual reunion for alumn, I called alumni to make sure that their contact information was the same. I filed and worked on raisers edge.
Pros
quick pace while relaxed
Cons
rushed environment at times, especially around may
Very stressful and cut-throat place to work.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 15, 2018
There was lots of workplace bullying, and a culture of disrespect to nurses from patients and colleagues. The nurse has a very heavy work load and a lot of times takes on the role of the nurse and CNA, which makes it harder to focus on nursing responsibilities.
very diverse community
Labor and Delivery RN (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 15, 2018
A typical day includes a high paced, stressful enviornment, but thankfully, helpful co-workers for the most part. I find the lack of basic equipment is one of the obstacles, which hinders the flow of the workday, and most importance, patient care. Lack of appropriate staff is always a cause of concern.
benefits
Cons
many times you don't get a break
productive place to work
New York (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2018
family like atmosphere , close relations with treating team and services.great teaching atmosphere and ability to advance, great location and security .
Productive yet ....
Health Information Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 8, 2018
A typical day is knowing your job and getting it done. Come to work do what you have to do and leave. No one is expected to speak the truth you have a very closed off and passive culture here. Everything is someone else fault.
Pros
Cons
Where do I begin....
Productive and fast pace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 8, 2018
Each day was different from the previous day. It was a fast pace enviroment to work but was rewarding to help patients. Patients and staff was wonderful to work with
Fair
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 23, 2017
It is a good place to work if you want experience working in a hospital/school environment. The balance of life working there can go either way, it depends on your positive attitude if want to be at peace. Compensation is on the low side, the majority of employees are hired through agency. Your chances to getting hired permanently are difficult to known, but not impossible. There appears to be an issue of micro-management, to "many chiefs not enough Indians". Many good people work in this hospital/school, but also some very arrogant individuals. No matter what I am thankful for the opportunity.
Pros
Experience, Healthcare, Overall good job culture
Cons
Low compensation, low chances for advancement, micro-management
SUNY Downstate offers many opportunities for growth.
Director, Workforce Training and Development (Former Employee) –  Lenox Road Brooklyn, N.Y.October 18, 2017
SUNY Downstate is made up of wonderful staff members and offers fine health care. The most enjoyable experiences centered around employees who sought assistance in workplace relationships. I became a de facto mediator for my last 12 years at the medical center.
Pros
Dynamic
Cons
Healthcare is undergoing roiling changes
n/a
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 17, 2017
worst part of job is representative of many public and private health care settings in general where there is a lack of resources and low morale of employees due to constant threats of possible layoffs and downsizing and an overall focus on meeting state and federal regulatory requirements/standards, which means more time spent on documentation in electronic medical record system and a high patient case load with high needs and readmission rates. workplace culture is difficult and a system of nepotism and cronyism with a lack of clinical supervision and supervisors with poor management skills and competitive and superstitious. on a positive note there is a new president plans to improve the culture and focus on marketing strengths of medical school and enhancing community relations to Brooklyn community. Good points are diversity of staff and student body and benefits for employees of being part of UUP and opportunity to work with some of the top medical programs and leading professors/physicians. Alike all institutions there are some incredibly intelligent, talented, and passionate people who really care about their work and their clientele and it is a pleasure to work with them.
Pros
benefits, salary, diversity, strong Brooklyn community link, medical school, leading physicians/researchers
Cons
administration, hours, culture
No incentives
Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 16, 2017
Typical day at work includes working two benches while teaching two students/ new hires and setting up QC.
Hardest part is dealing with managements unrealistic expectations of of 3 techs doing the work of 8 techs in an 8 hour day.
Hardest part of the job...see above.
Most enjoyable part of the job...developing my multi-tasking super power.
Pros
Cons
short breaks/no incentives
very professional environment
Medical assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 8, 2017
The only reason I am no longer employed at this facility is due to lay offs. If I wasn't layed off, I would've still been working there. It is such a positive atmosphere and everyone works collectively as a team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

SUNY Downstate Medical Center Reviews by Location