SUNY Downstate Medical Center Employee Reviews

Scientific project driven by caring minds
Senior Research Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2018
The Neurodynamics Laboratory fosters a collaboration of scientific minds and merging passions aimed at treating and ending the growing problem of alcoholism and substance abuse.

Under the oversight of our team's Private Investigator, I was encouraged to learn, grow and shine. My talent for precision and desire to consistently collect high quality data won me the favor of my manager and have made me an integral part of the research team.

Rather than adopt a dry scientific approach to our research - viewing data as nothing more than raw statistics - we maintain a humane perspective. Our data is a reflection of the experiences and struggles of our research participants. This view has served to improve the quality of our research and has shaped my analytical personality.
Good Benefits
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 30, 2018
Great place to work if your main goal is good benefits including a pension. Hard to find parking in area it is best to take public transportation to hospital.
Productive and professional
Staff Nurse, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 15, 2018
Overall this company cemented the framework for preparing me for my advanced degree as a family nurse practitioner. I will always be grateful for the time working alongside the intensivists and residents in the pediatric intensive care unit.
Pros
caring, compassionate and cohesivness of the work environment
Cons
long hours, skipped breaks
Supportive and Demanding
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 5, 2018
I can't speak about the medical units of SUNY Downstate Medical Center, which is a large institution. However, my experience of the administrative units I worked in was overall positive.
Good learning experience
Staff Assistant II / Registrar Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 27, 2018
I learned many phases of the daily medical routine.
i adapted well to a fast paced working situation and communicated well with other employees and clients.
Pros
Fast paced and room for growth
very nice place
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 18, 2018
It was a great place to work. They have great benefits and great coworkers. I grew a lot in my time there. I felt supported and uplifted. I was able to impact my coworkers as well.
Pros
There were great moments.
Cons
It was hard leaving and starting school.
Not the best
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 9, 2018
This isn't a workplace that encourages it's employees to be the best they can.

Most people just do the minimum and collect a pay check and wait for over time work.
I love SUNY Downstate
RN, MD and Cardiology Team (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 27, 2018
Working at SUNY Downstate can be very hectic at times but I enjoy working here. The environment here has allowed me to grow in many ways. I am proud to work here, the organization is very culturally diverse. Over the past 10+ year here, I have formed strong, life long bonds with my coworkers, we make a great team.
Great place to learn new things
STAFF SUPPORT-HBO/OPD (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 24, 2018
Very professional environment. Staff is easy to get along with. Benefits are good along with vacation and sick time. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to help members of your community.
Private Consulatant for Arthur Ashe Center for Disease Control
Private Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 18, 2018
Fellowship Training from 2016-2018, worked with Medical Professional from different departments in Pathology, Radiology, Psychiatry. I would recommend this as a primary care facility.
Great postdoc experience
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 24, 2018
I was a postdoc there many years ago in Cell Biology and Anatomy department like now. It was a well run lab with productivity and assistance with publishing.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
bad location
Good place to advance.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 13, 2018
I loved my job working for SUNY Downstate Medical Center. It is great working for the people in my community. I learned a lot and wouldn't mind working there again if I had to. I enjoyed every aspect of the job and the people I worked with from job duties to collaborating with fellow Nurses.
Pros
Benefits of the job.
Cons
Management.
Good collaboration and supportive environment
Neurodiagnostic Internship (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 13, 2018
I really like the group that I was working with. The manager was very knowledgeable and reasonable. The physicians that we are working with are very nice to each other and to the staffs as well. I have learned a lot from this experience.
Pros
good environment
Cons
Unpredictable work scheduling
Amazing place to work.
Medical Assistant (Intern/ Trainee) (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 7, 2018
In my short time at Suny Downstate I mastered the techniques of drawing blood, EKGS etc. The typical day was moderate patient flow. Management was amazing and took great care of the employees. most enjoyable part of the job was working with loving people and being able to intreact with patients.
Pros
Free lunches, Team work, Great leaders
Productive, fun environment
Summer Training Institute - Trainee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 5, 2018
A regular day working at SUNY Downstate included meeting other high school students just like myself. We all brainstormed and contemplated ways to teach those younger than us as much as we possibly could
Great job quick paced
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYApril 2, 2018
I enjoyed working at suny downstate, I worked a 9-5, doing all executive assistant work. I helped with their annual reunion for alumn, I called alumni to make sure that their contact information was the same. I filed and worked on raisers edge.
Pros
quick pace while relaxed
Cons
rushed environment at times, especially around may
Very stressful and cut-throat place to work.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 15, 2018
There was lots of workplace bullying, and a culture of disrespect to nurses from patients and colleagues. The nurse has a very heavy work load and a lot of times takes on the role of the nurse and CNA, which makes it harder to focus on nursing responsibilities.
very diverse community
Labor and Delivery RN (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 15, 2018
A typical day includes a high paced, stressful enviornment, but thankfully, helpful co-workers for the most part. I find the lack of basic equipment is one of the obstacles, which hinders the flow of the workday, and most importance, patient care. Lack of appropriate staff is always a cause of concern.
benefits
Cons
many times you don't get a break
productive place to work
New York (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 14, 2018
family like atmosphere , close relations with treating team and services.great teaching atmosphere and ability to advance, great location and security .
Productive yet ....
Health Information Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 8, 2018
A typical day is knowing your job and getting it done. Come to work do what you have to do and leave. No one is expected to speak the truth you have a very closed off and passive culture here. Everything is someone else fault.
Pros
Cons
Where do I begin....

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

SUNY Downstate Medical Center Reviews by Location