SUNY Downstate Medical Center Employee Reviews

School nurse
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 19, 2019
Limited practice with not a strong school health program. Ideally for an RN, for an NP limited. Paper charts, no EMR. Basic skill building, Strong staff.
Great
Guidance Medica Temp Agencyl (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 7, 2019
A very fast- paced environment, taking messages and managing and scheduling meeting via an intranet. Some typing and filing. you will spend a limited amount of time interacting with patients.
Pros
Friendly staff
Research Coordinator
EXEC. RESEARCH COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 10, 2018
Learned a lot about medical research and medical publishing. Very fast paced in the ambulatory surgery department. Staff worked well together and doctors were patient and friendly.
Benefits
Cons
Medical research
Fun place to work
Nursing Station Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 27, 2018
It's a cool place to work and learn.
If you're here to do your work, be nice to everyone no matrwr how rude that person might be (Professional) not minding other people's business, you will probably enjoy working there.
Pros
The benefits are nice
Cons
The breaks are too short
attending physician
Clinical Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 18, 2018
i worked at the clinic
supervised medical residents and nurses
took care of patients
did administrative work-called insurance companies, to authorise tests or medications
Productive work place
Clerkship Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 15, 2018
Overall the job is good. Keep focused and thing will be fine. Administration keeps changing, hopefully things come together sooner than later. A lot of changes are happening
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not a lot of advancement
wireless Network upgrade
Cisco Security Wireless Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York University School of Medicine, NYOctober 19, 2018
Network Cisco Security Wireless Analyst on Cisco Wireless Control System (WCS) with 10 controllers and WiSM2, Cisco Clean Access, Infoblox to control the DHCP, DNS for the wireless SSID, WhatsUpGold and KIWI syslog server.
 Experience with network monitoring, management and packet analysis tools to monitor and troubleshoot network/application performance and connectivity problems (SolarWinds, Cisco Prime, Cisco ACS, Wireshark, AirMagnet)
 Evaluated the existing Wireless networks for upgrade and new installations of 1500 Cisco AP’s.
 Designed and implemented of wireless system diagrams using Visio for new locations.
Pros
Nice enviroement
Cons
Goog peoples to work with
A typical day on the job
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 17, 2018
A typical day on the job was quite interesting. Patient needs are always priority and we strive to always give exceptional customer service. We ensure that patients are treated with utmost respect at all times.
Adolescent Education Program
Senior Peer Leader (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 17, 2018
This is not a hospital job. This is an adolescent education program, focused on providing education to the community. It is for teenagers in high school and is more of an after school job with a stipend.
Great summer job
Medical Records (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 1, 2018
A typical day at work is easygoing as long as you are clear on the task you are doing. The staff is very helpful and nice and they know how to take the edge off a stressful day with light office humor.
great place lots to learn
New York (Former Employee) –  New YorkSeptember 17, 2018
Did my internship her it was excellent i learned so much the doctors the staff were great would of loved to be an employee there if i ever get the chance
As a resident and fellow, my education and experience was valuable
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 27, 2018
As an internal medicine resident and hem/onc fellow, my education and experience was valuable at Downstate, but the work environment and the work/life balance esp. during residency was toxic to my well being. Some positive changes have happened at the medical center to support resident physicians, but there is room for improvement. Overall the staff are nice to work with.
Pros
Collegial, cooperation among staff, potential for academic growth
Cons
Culture differences, stressful residency with compromise in education, work/life imbalance
Secure place to work and learn
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 12, 2018
Excellent work environment for learning and gaining experience. Surgeons and doctors are at the top of their clinical practice and they genuinely care about their patients and other medical providers.
Management can be a little rough around the edges.
Salary is not competitive but benefits are better than those offered at private institutions by far.
Pros
Excellent for learning, excellent benefits
Cons
Salary not ompetitive
Scientific project driven by caring minds
Senior Research Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 30, 2018
The Neurodynamics Laboratory fosters a collaboration of scientific minds and merging passions aimed at treating and ending the growing problem of alcoholism and substance abuse.

Under the oversight of our team's Private Investigator, I was encouraged to learn, grow and shine. My talent for precision and desire to consistently collect high quality data won me the favor of my manager and have made me an integral part of the research team.

Rather than adopt a dry scientific approach to our research - viewing data as nothing more than raw statistics - we maintain a humane perspective. Our data is a reflection of the experiences and struggles of our research participants. This view has served to improve the quality of our research and has shaped my analytical personality.
Good Benefits
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 30, 2018
Great place to work if your main goal is good benefits including a pension. Hard to find parking in area it is best to take public transportation to hospital.
stressful and uncomfortable most of the time because of Director
New York (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 26, 2018
As i carried on my job with Suny Down State, it was very tramatic, the Director of Contracts and Procurement had a very sly and tramatic way of treating people, my experience was that i felt very uncomfortable most of the time not being led with any real direction, and always feeling as if my work didn't matter. This person is no longer there at Suny Down State. So i don't know how well there doing now! but i must say the environment was O.K. the people was very welcoming and kind at times.
Pros
at times the had parties and free lunches
Cons
staff and environment exceptable
Career advancement made easy
Patient Relations Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 18, 2018
Through the staff coordination and policies in place, it is exceptionally easy to advance in your career of choice. I believe this to be the example of a role-model company that satisfies all of its employees' needs.
Pros
Friendly staff, career advancing oppurtunities, benefits and insurances
Productive and professional
Staff Nurse, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 15, 2018
Overall this company cemented the framework for preparing me for my advanced degree as a family nurse practitioner. I will always be grateful for the time working alongside the intensivists and residents in the pediatric intensive care unit.
Pros
caring, compassionate and cohesivness of the work environment
Cons
long hours, skipped breaks
Supportive and Demanding
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJuly 5, 2018
I can't speak about the medical units of SUNY Downstate Medical Center, which is a large institution. However, my experience of the administrative units I worked in was overall positive.
Good learning experience
Staff Assistant II / Registrar Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 27, 2018
I learned many phases of the daily medical routine.
i adapted well to a fast paced working situation and communicated well with other employees and clients.
Pros
Fast paced and room for growth

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

SUNY Downstate Medical Center Reviews by Location