SUNY Maritime College Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
ALPHA Company Executive Officer (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 20, 2018
Work environment is productive and the management was fair. What I learned the most was that there is much more that goes on behind the scenes and there needs to be more participation from others involved.
bad place to work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 9, 2018
Very bias place to work not a very friendly environment those in janitorial get treated like trash by students and management. Management us races and bias especially towards woman of color.
Pros
paid time off
Cons
races environment
Good college
Maritime law research assistant (Former Employee) –  NYCApril 11, 2018
You can learn a lot in this college about commercial shipping and the library in this college is great. You can always find useful data in the library.
Squad Leader (Former Employee) –  Throgs Neck, NYMarch 21, 2018
The school as a whole needs to have better organization. Most of the time no one knows whats going on until the last second. The balance between regiment and academics needs to weigh more on academics.
Productive and team orientated
Technical support (Former Employee) –  Throgs Neck, NYJanuary 23, 2018
A typical Day at work consisted of doing night walks as the school day finished, checking class rooms inquiring about working projectors smart boards.
Nice working Environment
Supplemental Instructor (Former Employee) –  Throgs Neck, NYJanuary 3, 2018
SUNY Maritime College provides a nice working environment with friendly staff. Since I am there mainly at nights, it is hard to say much more. Students are also very respectful.
Dysfunctional administration
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 25, 2017
Disgustingly run by heinous, abusive administration with HR department who play dumb -- hypocrital cover-ups for rotten people, favoritism, promotions for pals and their girlfriends. Phoney puppet leader who does not implement core values for employees.
Pros
Nice Campus
Cons
How much time have you got?
college
Cadet (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 15, 2017
Its not a place where you have a job but a place where you work hard to make yourself a career. everyone here is willing to help you succeed and make something of yourself.
Productive and fun workplace
Information Systems Security Specialist/Helpdesk (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYOctober 14, 2017
But job titles don't properly reflect typical duties
the culture conflicts with job security and the sharing of knowledge and training and advancement.
the hardest part of the job is complacency any sense of urgency
the most enjoyable part of the job is the lasting friendship you can develop
Pros
Free use of Gym
Cons
you may need to look elsewhere to advance
Productive and Fun place to work
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 25, 2017
A typical day at work would include performing room condition checks. This includes checking the conditions of the beds, chairs windows, curtains, desk walls. basically and overall check of all the rooms in a designated building. I learned how to effectively work with other Residential Advisors to complete the different tasks that were assigned and completed them in an orderly manner. It broadened my leadership and soft skills. workplace culture was a friendly environment. Due to good communication between the manager and other Residential Advisors, the jobs that had to be performed were not difficult. all the Jobs were completed accordingly.
Disappointing Regiment Department Leadership
Battalion Officer (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 20, 2017
Assistant Commandant required Battalion Officers to accompany students every other Sunday to community service work that was not required by student's degree programs or by their Coast Guard license curriculum. She was unwilling to listen to listen to the concerns of direct reports.

Commandant was very disengaged from junior Battalion Officers. He also served as the Master of the training ship so his attention was divided between two significant roles.

No opportunity for promotion and no professional development.

Most enjoyable thing was seeing students develop good leadership traits.

Hardest part of the job was trying to get management to genuinely listen.
Pros
Travel to Europe during the summer on the training ship
Cons
Departmental leadership habits
N/a
Cadet Officer Superbisor (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYApril 6, 2017
Worked as a student during the semester aboard the training ship, crew was very helpful and knowledgable. They got the extra mile to make sure you are comfortable.
Good learning experience
Indoctrination Corpsman (Former Employee) –  ThrApril 4, 2017
Worked as the indoctrination corpsman for the January class of 2015. Was a good experience and th staff were friendly and helpful and the work was disturbed evenly
Student Leadership position
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 7, 2017
I was responsible for overseeing a group of students ranging from 100-150. My responsibilities included passing all pertinent information from the Regimental Command to these Cadets. Ensuring that standards within my group were kept as high as possible. Also the mentorship and counselling of the Cadets within my charge.

This was a great leadership experience, which taught me a lot and is ever evolving. There is always something to be learnt.
Pros
Leadership development, ability to help others.
Cons
part time job
Relaxed but efficient workplace
Chief Mate's Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 24, 2017
If the required work gets done, there is no need to work more than the allotted 8 hour work day. The management is well acquainted with the daily tasks required to maintain a safe and effective training for the college cadets.
Beautiful Campus
Special Events Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 24, 2017
SUNY Has excellent benefits package, beautiful campus and great student environment. The school will be building a new ship for the mugs to train on and this is exciting for the students interested in a career in the Maritime Industry.
Pros
Nice Campus
Cons
Lacks Structure
Excellent Part Time Student Work
Athletics Department, Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bronx, NYDecember 13, 2016
Excellent Part Time Student Work. The athletics department staff is very friendly. SUNY Maritime College Athletics department is an excellent place to get extra cash as a student.
Waterfront Director is a jerk
Offshore Sailing Coach (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJuly 26, 2016
Waterfront Director is a jerk. His way or the highway....and all he talks about is inclusion. He's full of horse _____. Only has a job because it a state gig.
Excellent support and easy access to assistance. Senior leaders are available and communicate with adjunct professors well.
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR (Current Employee) –  OnlineFebruary 9, 2015
Enjoy teaching the students at SUNY Maritime College in the graduate Global Business and Transportation department. The other faculty are open and helpful. the students are motivated and willing to learn.
Well respected Educational Institution
Special Events/Fundraising Detailer (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 23, 2014
I was the Fund Raising / Special Events Planner. My typical day was reaching out to alumni to acquire donations, dues payments. I also organized several special events and fund raisers to procure donations for the SUNY Maritime Scholarship Fund. My immediate supervisor was a pleasure to work with, She was hard working, fair and very helpful when I needed it.

I had the opportunity to work closely with incoming cadets as well as upper-class students, while organizing school tours, college fairs, dinners and special events. There was no hard part of my job, I loved everything about it.

I was forced to leave SUNY Maritime after 911, when a great majority of our alumni were employed by a major corporation in the World Trade Center and killed in the attack. This resulted in the cancellation of all of our events and my position was dissolved.

If given the opportunity, I would return to SUNY Maritime College tomorrow.
Pros
Beautiful campus to work on, close to home
Cons
there were no cons to this position