SUNY Upstate Medical University
64Average

SUNY Upstate Medical University Employee Reviews

United States112 reviews
Was not valued for the work performed. Management seemed most interested in their own goals to get better jobs and get paid more money. Wasn't fully a team effort.
Upstate is the most toxic work environment i've ever seen. There is a huge disconnect between management and staff.

And regular staff in general (I'm a traveler), I feel so bad for. They have a list of people they go through for people to get mandated and if you're at the top, you get mandated, and it happens almost regularly.

I've also never seen a Respiratory department where the morale is so low....other reviewers are not kidding.

And to put this in percpective, there are more travelers and RT's with less than a year of experience than regular staff. They consistently have to rely on travelers.

As far of the work itself, there are 5 critical care areas including, MICU, Neuro ICU, SICU, and a CVICU. There are no therapist driven protocols and everything there is very task orientated. It's NOT a progressive department in away shape or form.
Management plays favorites, picks & chooses when they want to enforce or follow rules, laws or policies. If you have a license, working here will place you at risk for losing it. If you stand up for what is right or push for them to follow the rules, WATCH OUT. They retaliate & make you miserable. The only way working here will be beneficial is if you are a brown-noser, "Yes Man/Woman".
I do not recommend upstate for employment for anyone with dignity or a heart for their patients or respect for themselves unless you are interested in backstabbing coworkers and managers with ulterior motives. BEWARE. Upstate CLAIMS to be an EOE. They are not. Upstate does not support those who are struggling, those who are disabled, or those of color. And Good luck if you’re all 3!
The respiratory department is terrible. Management lies and condone bullying. They promise raises that never come and look the other way for just about everything. They have pushed out so many of their employees because of how awful the department is. Between the lying bullying and terrible pay that you max out on everyone left for a reason! Travelers up and leave with no notice because they hate it so much truly a toxic environment
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
Good place to work. Pay is good for area. Plenty of opportunities for advanced training and education as well as career advancement. Teaching hospital with high acuity.
Patients receive fantastic care at SUNY. Good benefits. Surgeons are excellent and care about outcomes.
Nursing staff is very good, team oriented and patient focused
Communication is horrible amongst ALL staff. Nurses, Techs, and respiratory staff all get used, abused and tossed out like trash. You are just a person filling a spot, who is easily replaced to them. Most Doctors are disrespectful and degrading to nurses and don’t listen when something is wrong with the pts or the pt “isn’t sick enough” so they do nothing to help the pt. Despicable environment.
I have enjoyed working at Suny and have learned a lot. Everyone is very friendly and I have a great team I work with. The only complaint would be the parking or lack there of.
Job advancement is available. Lucky enough to work for / with great people throughout my career. Benefits are outstanding. I worked in academic settings; therefore, I am unable to assess working I the hospital setting.
Company has job security and good benefits. Company is diverse in culture. Company has great state retirement. Company great place to learn and grow in medical social work!
They float you almost every day and let own staff have own easy assignments but watching you run around like crazy saving lives...yet few are willing to even get up out of the chair. Typical "New York state job" mentality for most which is laziness and the bear minimum. Only decent cool staff are the residents. Also, I am white yet there was so many racist staff in Syracuse. So sad really. Whshame
Pros
Low pay.
Cons
Eventually everything
I wouldn’t recommend this place of employment to my worse enemy. Management is terrible. Employees are treated unfairly and with no respect. There is a double standard. Management punishes all whistle blowers and anyone that does not agree with them or challenges them. Must go with the flow or they will find a way to make your life terrible.
Sometimes a little disorganized and slow because it is a state institution but overall a very nice place to work. Benefits are great and the culture is good.
Learned various skills and working with brain dead and ventilated patients. Hardest part was having a majority of physically heavy patients and not having the help to turn, position, clean. Enjoyed the learning aspect. Was a teaching hospital.
Very supportive and highly professional academic environment with great benefits. Also promotes giving to community. Good health insurance with dental and vision plan.
I work for SUNY UPSTATE Medical university at the Binghamton regional campus. The culture and management at this campus can you some change in the overall administration of duties.
A good mid level university surrounded by a large healthcare facility. Clinical/Academic collaboration in research could stand to improve. Hope you love snow
As a graduate student, I was incredibly fortunate that I joined a lab that was part of the Center for Vision Research (CVR) at SUNY Upstate. My mentor, committee members, and the entire faculty are unparalleled in their support and dedication to the growth and development of their students as both scientists and individuals. The open lab space aids in collaborative discussions and it's nice to see other people throughout the day aside from your own lab members. The CVR has excellent lecture series that include students, post-docs, PIs, and visiting speakers from around the country.
People there are mostly hard working good people. Not always fair due to some union and some non-union. Management doesn't understand that everyone doesn't get the same advantages of having a union and should have other "perks".
Pros
Lots of room for inside advancememt
Cons
When jobs are posted it is often a formality.
I really loved work here with students. We worked collaboratively and were allowed to work creatively add independently. There were courses and lots of support from administrators to advance.
Pros
Pay, benefits and culture
Cons
parking cost
Ask a question about working or interviewing at SUNY Upstate Medical University. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.1Personal Development
3.5Career Opportunities
3.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight