SUNY Upstate Medical University Employee Reviews

Student
Student Radiation Therapist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJanuary 18, 2019
Could not find a better institution for higher learning in this field. The clinical experience along with information taught in classes sets students up to be successful.
Awful place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  East Syracuse, NYJanuary 24, 2019
Working at bone and joint was awful. I stressed about things that were out of my control. Barely had any training d/t the office manager dealing with 1000 different things. Nothing was ever clear..the work,phone calls/scanning/scheduling.. Not to mention dealing with workers comp. I got sucked into drama that didnt even involve me. Everyone was very fake. The work made no sense, i told my boss how i was feeling and she said i was fine.. (i was not fine) the providers arent that great as well. Being a patient there would be awesome.. but not an employee. I got paid almost minimum wage.. (come to find out my coworkers were almost at a $20 rate) I felt cheated, stressed and began to experience awful headaches that i still cannot get rid of.
Pros
NOTHING stay away from this place
Cons
everything, the work, the people
Great Cafeteria
Student Intern, Physical Plant (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYDecember 13, 2018
Great work force My supervisor was awesome. they guided me in right path, good colleagues and nice environment. They have nice open garden in cancer building which is awesome to relief from work stress
A toxic work environment
Employee (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 12, 2019
Please stay away, I watched employees report poor behavior from higher ranking employees. It went to HR a report was concluded and during the process severe retaliation resulted. All employees that reported abuse vacated the university.
Pros
Cons
Horrible work environment
Management was poor
Professor (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 26, 2018
The president at the time and his wife were awful. The culture they created caused a lot of strife and caused a lot of talent to leave.

The wife took credit for others work and was not capable of performing the work of a chair. Good riddance they are gone.
Used to be a productive and fun place to work where you could trust anyone
Histotechnician (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 12, 2018
Management shifted and major changes were employed including "no more music (radio or mp3/iPod), no whispering, no loud outbursts" the new management wanted to be in charge of all aspects of the lab to the point where it interfered with my abilities in my profession. To top this all off the new management micromanaged so intensely that the work environment was so uncomfortable people dreaded coming to work everyday
Pros
Quiet environment
Nce place to work
Medical Secretary II (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYNovember 1, 2018
Enjoyed working there, very fast paced, mainly easy job with good communication. Some Managers were better than others but the job was always done no matter what.
Unsatisfactory
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYSeptember 12, 2018
As a respiratory therapist, the department was perpetually understaffed. Therapists were/are being forced to work mandatory overtime on a daily basis.
Very busy office, great autonomy
Orthopedic Residency Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYAugust 17, 2018
This was a very busy academic office for one administrative assistant (originally there were 2). I learned a lot about working on my own and establishing priorities and setting my own deadlines for various work. I made many friends at SUNY Upstate Medical University. The most enjoyable part of my job there was seeing the orthopedic residents grow and mature over their 5-year residency program.
Per diem inpatient bedside RN
Per Diem RN, CardioPulmonary Intensive Care Unit (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 12, 2018
Great place to work. Management in my unit is flexible and approachable. Weekly staff meetings help everyone stay on target. RN trainers are great resources and very knowledgable.
It was a good place to work
Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 26, 2018
It was a good place to work for many years. Coworkers and management were helpful and supportive. Working there was like being a part of a community or an extended family. Management changes in later years let to process and procedural changes that made the job more stressful.
Pros
Stability of employment
Cons
privatization
This was a great place to work
DAC Assistant Program Director (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 31, 2018
The organizational culture has changed in a very negative way. Employees are expected to do more than one job without additional compensation or comp time. Saying no to unfair work requirements is frowned upon.
Pros
fringe benefits
Cons
works hours
Awesome
PC Support Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 24, 2018
Awesome place to work. Excellent benefits and pay. Always room to advance. Sometimes challenging but there is always someone to help you if needed. Perfect job.
Informative and helpful workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJune 6, 2018
This was a day long internship through my college. I went in at 8 in the morning and left by 4 in the afternoon. I shadowed a physical therapist in the hospital for the day and also went to the Occupational Therapy department. I met a few different patients and helped them with their exercises. It was an opportunity to see if I would be interested in this field. After being there for the day I realized I wanted to become a physical therapist.
University hospital gave me the skills I use today.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 2, 2018
Hard working. Looking for a part-time or per diem position to enhance my skills and development. I seek to apply for gainful employment at your facility.
Stimulating Experience
Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYApril 4, 2018
Working as a research fellow in the Emergecy Department of SUNY Upstate Medical University Hospital was a memorable and intellectually stimulating experience that brought new challenges with it each day.
horrible pay and low moral
Credentialing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMarch 21, 2018
Was excited to work here... no room for advancement very low pay, and very low raises. Benefits eat up about a quarter of my pay. Very low work moral and the office environment is dismal.
SUNY Upstate is a great place!
Desktop and Network Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 22, 2018
Great work environment. You must be on your A-game and you must be ready for challenges and competitiveness. If you enjoy good work, this is the place!
Great place to work.
RN (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NY 13210March 18, 2018
Education assistance and opportunity for advancement. I would recommend Upstate Medical Center. I would work there again, should the right opportunity become available.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Fast paced.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 6, 2018
This was my very first nursing job and they welcomed me with open arms. I also received my BSN from the nursing school attached to it and they are both great.