Superior Air-Ground Ambulance Service, Inc.

Superior Air-Ground Ambulance Service, Inc. Employee Reviews

Good benefits
Emergency and transfer calls

MFRS, EMTS, PARAMEDICS, CCT PARAMEDICS

Paid vacations after 6 months and paid sick days after I year
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Busy, management
A typical day at work
EMT-B (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILApril 6, 2018
A typical day involves providing emergency care en route to the hospital. Evaluating injuries and health issues to provide correct plan of action. Helping community learn CPR.
Good Company
Purchasing Manager (Current Employee) –  IndianaFebruary 12, 2018
good people
but management needs to listen more
good hours
great co workers
good benefits
call taker
call taker/ coordinator (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJanuary 22, 2018
The reason I rated the company so high is due to the fact that there is ample opportunity to move up. You have to do the work though but when you do a great job your noticed for it. I've met great people here and the management listens and makes sure you are trained properly before your completely alone. This is a great company that helps build your resume and you can take classes and move around. As a call taker the phones ring a lot but your day will go by quick if you enjoy a fast paced environment pick up back-lines work as a team and you'll get noticed. its up to you! the hardest part of the job is the point system but honestly once you get used to it you'll want to be on time. I learned to work even faster and smarter here and gained tremendous knowledge of the medical field. so yes apply once you get comfortable and meet new people its a fun job to have!
Pros
no clock outs for lunch you can eat at your desk// really good insurance for your family
Cons
point system
Typical IFT
EMT-B (Former Employee) –  Valparaiso, INJanuary 12, 2018
Superior is a decent place to get some exposure and use as a resume builder, nothing special about it. Never really had any problems with management and they were pretty good about scheduling. Pay was above average for the area and they had a per call bonus. Ambulances were typically very run down (with some exceptions), because we got the hand me down ambulances from Chicagoland that we're beat up. Dispatch wasn't very good and would hold you past your end time quite often because of poor planning and would give it a second thought. Days could be very hit or miss, sometimes back to back runs, other days just sitting in a gas station parking lot in a cramped ambulance going stir crazy. Overall a decent place to work but not somewhere to spend too long at.
Pros
Per call bonus, scheduling.
Cons
Run down equipment, dispatchers
Manager I had at the Oak Lawn (Illinois) station, Tom was very good was a fantastic Manager.
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Oak Lawn, ILJanuary 4, 2018
I enjoyed working here, equipment was good (Zoll X monitors) Power stretchers. All the different places they go in the Tri-State area so it was good to get out and see different places
Pros
Money was excellant
Cons
Some dispatchers didn't know patients with IV pumps, or certain meds had to go Critical Care if a nurse could not accompany you on the transport.
Good pt care, not best work place.
EMT-B (Former Employee) –  Elgin, ILDecember 7, 2017
Worked there for about 8 months. My manager always called and blamed me for issues, even if caused by my partner. Get used to transporting DOAs. I personally didn’t have good experiences here, especially outside of patient care. Having good partners always help, but if you’re stuck with someone you don’t get along with, it gets miserable. That can go for anywhere, though. It’s good if you’d like to advance to medic, and they do pay you to go to EMT-B school, through their program. It’s a decent place to start, but I wouldn’t suggest staying there. I luckily worked the 06-18 shift, however you have to get used to and expect to being held over 1+ hours.
Pros
Decent pay, good partners can make shifts awesome
Cons
Drama, management could be better.
Great place for overtime hours!
Emergency First Responders (Former Employee) –  Warren, MINovember 5, 2017
It is a good place to work if you enjoy working with the public and if you can get alone with anyone. The best part about the job is that you don't a manager standing over you. You will meet new people and learn about different types of medical condition. Great job if the health care field is something you want to get into.
not a good experience
EMT-Basic (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 11, 2017
Depending on your shift, you can expect to stay about 2 hours after almost every day. I had several

They pay the best for the industry, but it still is not great. Based on the pay, I could never afford benefits. I was on Medicaid for a lot of my time here.

Coworkers were fun people. My station manager was fair and had a good sense of humor. Would not recommend anyone above that as they never seemed particularly interested in talking or generally having a conversation.

The only career advancement is to move into billing (which is located only out of the main office) or to being a paramedic (which is a costly process and also does not pay well).
Be patient and work hard
Manager (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILSeptember 10, 2017
Superior isn't a bad company but the Executive board will stress you out if you are in a Management role. Be prepared for last minute changes, poor communication, and a different culture than you may be used to.
Pros
Non-PC culture, Room for advancement
Cons
Bad communication, stressful, long hours
Great if you just care about money and not having time to yourself
Medicar Driver (Former Employee) –  Highland, INSeptember 4, 2017
Non-stop work and mandatory overtime, not worth the pay. Very segregated. Supervisor seemed to almost enjoy playing around with the employees by being disrespectful and playing mind games which is very childish/unprofessional. The work vans are in terrible condition. For $10.50 an hour and time + a half for overtime it still wasn't worth it since there is no work life balance. On the ambulance side it was like being in high school again, people wanting to work with their boyfriend/best friend. The amount of cities that had to be covered with the few employees there were was ridiculous in medicar. Overall not worth the stress whatsoever.
Pros
Lots of over time and you work by yourself
Cons
Unprofessional and mandatory overtime everyday
Dispatcher
Dispatcher/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILAugust 26, 2017
A typical day was getting to work by 630 in the morning and leaving around 730 pm. I would dispatch out medicars and ambulances. My direct supervisor was a great person to work for. The hardest part of the job was not knowing if you were always going to be there.
I just did this
Ambulance Coder/ A/R Follow-up (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILJuly 4, 2017
Not sure why Indeed is having me rate this company twice before I can continue. This is a waste of job searching time and they really need to look into this.
Pros
insurance
Cons
pay
Either You are going 100 or taking it easy
Medicar Driver (Former Employee) –  Addison, ILJune 10, 2017
I worked as a Medicar Driver
Pay was reasonable for the work done. The job requires a significant amount of patience and improvisation skill. Hours are abundant and I would willingly work anywhere between 45 to 70 in a week. The shift are also flexible if you bring up your life situations.
Pros
Great management, fun culture, Solid pay, almost very benefit under the sun
Cons
Lack of vehicles at times
good ambulance company
EMT-B (Current Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILMay 26, 2017
good ambulance company. tries to stay up to date. good with providing continuing education to their EMTs and paramedics. pretty good with tuition reimbursement for those attending paramedic school.
Ok Company
Office Work (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIMay 10, 2017
Superior Ambulance is a very political company to work for. They are extremely racist toward their minority employees, even though the HR manager is African American. She appears to not be aware of most of the racial matters at Superior, but she is just securing her job. I do not recommend this company to any minority.
Pros
All ways chnaces for ot and extra money
Cons
Racial issues
Official response from Superior Air-Ground Ambulance Service, Inc.
May 15, 2017

We are sad to hear that your experience working at Superior was negative. We can assure that we are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and take your comment very seriously. If you would like to discuss your experience with an HR Director at Corporate Headquarters we'd be happy to take your phone call or email, 630-903-2290 or hr@superiorambulance.com.

Decent Stepping stone for Ems
EMT-B (Current Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILApril 19, 2017
If you are looking for a first time EMS job this is a great place to work. I have been there almost 3 years and it is a decent place. Depending on the station its tight knit
Benefits
Cons
Management sometimes
Stay away!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILApril 7, 2017
I worked at Superior for almost five years. Leaving was the best thing that could have happened to me. I had close interactions with the senior management staff and can honestly say they are out for themselves. They take advantage of new EMTs/Medics and don't care. They force people to work 4 to 6 hours past their off time and punish anyone who questions management. HR is pretty much run by operations and you can't go to anyone if you have an issue with the way they are doing things. If you are considering working at Superior, just be prepared to have them dictate your life. They pay is low and equipment is outdated.
Pros
Cons
Pay, management, no work/life balance
Great people to work with but......
EMT-Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILMarch 31, 2017
Healthcare is a business. I understand that. But when a company's main drive is money it makes for a bad patient care company. I shouldn't of had to skirt patient care just to see how many calls I could pump out in one day. This company is all about the almighty dollar and not the people they should be caring for much less their employees. But if your looking for a busy day this place will give you that.
Pros
Never had an issue with the people I worked with.
Cons
Patient care was lacking due to not giving enough time for each patient
Official response from Superior Air-Ground Ambulance Service, Inc.
May 15, 2017

Superior sincerely apologizes for your frustrations. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service and do get very busy from time to time. We take all concerns very seriously and will take a look at our processes when needed. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Productive and fun place with pool table
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, ILMarch 10, 2017
You get to meet new people every time, the work place environment is great and the job is fantastic. And you can always rely and trust your managers including Human Resources
Pros
Free lunch on special occasion
Cons
Early shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Superior Air-Ground Ambulance Service, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Superior Air-Ground Ambulance Service, Inc. Reviews by Location