Sur La Table Employee Reviews

quick paced
Distribution Associate (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INMay 14, 2018
great working environments. it is very fast paced and job duties may change day to day. located in brownsburg. you work with home and kitchen/cooking essentials.
Great placeto work for a Foodie
Culinary Program Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 12, 2018
I loved working here! It was a part time job to help pay the bills. This store was known for having some of the best varieties of food preparation tools and entertaining pieces.

Being retail turnover tended to be on the higher side. And challenging to find hourly staff willing to work weekends (which is a requirement for retail, but I guess people didn't want to believe it)

Always got an opportunity to learn about new products and their functions and how they compare to other tools.
Pros
Great employee discount! 40% off and 1 electronmic per month was also 40% off
Cons
higher staff turnover
every thing has changed
sales associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2018
not enough hours wants you to give five day for work and you may only see two or three day if you'er lucky raises are nice but if you are not getting the hours what are the raises for
Pros
food very meeting and inventory time great discount
Use to be a wonderful company
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCApril 18, 2018
Over the last five years the company has changed and is not the company it used to be. It is now more clerking and not a lot of customer service but more stress about converting customers. When you go from 310 hours a week to 175 you can not wait on 1000 people or more within a week with 2 employees in the store at a time. Became a very stressful environment and the company seems to lost who they were.
Many jobs available during the holidays
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brownsburg, INApril 9, 2018
This company allows people to get hired and immediately they get insurance and the top dollar paid. They have lots of overtime during the holiday season.
Expected to stay on feet and busy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXApril 9, 2018
Sur la Table is a great store, great opportunities to help customers, so this is satisfying. For retail jobs, the corporation pays their employees poorly. The collaboration with co-workers is the big plus.
Pros
Teamwork, you learn a lot @ inventory, business practices, and protocol for customer service in a high-end kitchen store
Cons
Some managers poor. It's retail so expected availability is a lot
Workplace is very pleasant, expectation fits in job description and associates are expected to perform according to their job description.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 27, 2018
I have found my experience with the store has been absolutely exceptional. I felt it was a perfect match with my love of cooking and my philosophy that aligns to the philosophy of this company. It was a joy to provide the best kitchen products on the market to the best.
Pros
discounts, flexible work schedule
Cons
salary
Interesting & Fun
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Naperville, ILMarch 19, 2018
Fast-paced and fun place to work! Learned a great deal about cooking a variety of new dishes, and received great discounts for high-end culinary times!
Pros
Great discounts & fun people to work with
Cons
Inconsistent hours
Good Job for People without Families/Young Children
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Novi, MIMarch 7, 2018
Very active job. Duties include resetting displays, assisting customers with products, and opening or closing duties.
The most difficult part is enduring the mall holiday hours.
I love the people I work with. Management is amazing and they will bend over backwards for good workers!
Pros
fun and engaging work, contests and cash bonuses do happen occasionally
Cons
no commission for big ticket items and sometimes the hours get too late passed closing time.
its productive
Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Brownsburg, INMarch 3, 2018
I've been there for nearly a year and so far its been enjoyable. it can be slow at times but not for long. everyone is friendly and you can dress casual.
I loved working at Surlatable
CHEF (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 3, 2018
A Typical day at work is answering phone messages & emails, ordering food, setting up prep for classes & teaching classes . I learned that i love teaching & am a great teacher. I liked the management structure I loved the people I worked with. The hardest part of the job was filling the schedule. The most enjoyable part was watching students get excited about what they learned.
Pros
cooking, teaching, having good tools, meeting people
Cons
working a lot of hours, finding people to work there
You must love to cook
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 2, 2018
Great working relationships that I still maintain. I love the environment, the product and the customer experience. I was able to mold my management skills from the 8 years that I worked there.
Great place to work!
Sales Associate and Sales Floor Lead (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAFebruary 24, 2018
Great atmosphere, constant learning and development, and wonderful clientele! Pay could be more competitive, especially for seasoned employees, but the SPIFFS can sometimes help.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Less than competitive pay for skilled employees
Fun place to work if you can avoid the politics
General Manager (Current Employee) –  New JerseyFebruary 21, 2018
Amazing customers and great interactions. Generous discount is a bonus!! New Senior Mgmt team kind of sours the experience but they're new to it if you can get past that you'll be fine. Just remember its Retail so be prepared to commit to working a tough schedule
Pros
Discount
Cons
Corporate
productive
Picker/Packer/Manifest (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 18, 2018
Is a nice place to work and all works have their challenges which you cant take it away. Management is good too.They have limited hours.The works are not that stressful but you still have to meet up with your rate every week. Every department has their rate which you must meet at the end of the week.
Loved it here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77024February 12, 2018
Sur La Table was a quick little summer job for me while I was home. This job was so fun and had such a great environment. The management team and sales associate team were all very nice and were very flexible.
Great Pay and Benefits
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brownsburg, INFebruary 5, 2018
Pay is good. No raise. Computer programs are SUPER old. If they had easier customer friendly programs to use they would grow leaps and bounds. The old programs are frustrating to customers, thus making your job more stressful then it needs to be. No clear, concise policies. Head Management is not interested in employees lives. One team lead doesn't care, another team lead is verbally abusive to employee and customers. A lot of "clicks" between management and employees(best friends and family working under each other). HUGE favortism. Benefits and pay outstanding. Sadly everything else over shadows the good!!
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Sterile Management approach and favortism.
A good option for retirees or those not looking for a livable wage
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MI 48104February 5, 2018
As a kitchen assistant, most of the chef instructors put in effort to get to know you and how to best work together for classes. The retail aspect can be a drag. Part-time employees are not compensated enough, especially for the area I was in. New classes and new recipes were very enjoyable to teach and learn in classes.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Low wages, stressful
Great store manager
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 4, 2018
Hired as a seasonal employee so that we could increase revenue, and upsell products and services. Always one of the two top salespeople whenever I was scheduled to work the floor.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Very few breaks and nowhere to sit
Great place to work, but if you're not in the "club" you won't move up.
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  ArizonaFebruary 1, 2018
Sur La Table has grown in the multiple years I have worked for them. I started out as a Culinary Instructor, moved up to the Assistant Resident Chef, and am now the Assistant General Manager. I will say I have moved up fast, but that was only due to desperate needs of the store, and my willingness to do so. I have not been trained AT ALL for the management position. I have done all training by myself, either at management seminars or other. Staff can be great, but people love drama. Sales goals can be unrealistic at times, and corporate demands too much from their UNDER paid staff.
Pros
Great benefits for full-time positions, Employee discounts, Cooking class discounts
Cons
Lack of communication with corporate, Hard to advance unless you know somebody to "help" you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sur La Table. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.4

2.4Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight