Sur La Table Employee Reviews

floor manager (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CONovember 12, 2018
solid outfit. loved to cook so I thought it was a natural fit and it was enjoyable for the duration of my employment. the team was very friendly and all were enthusiastic about the food industry.
work
Receiving Associate/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INNovember 1, 2018
go in expect lift .talk to supervisor for days work schedule. I learned to restock flow racks. management was caring and observant. the culture could be hazard's .
Pros
gooding working environment
Cons
only min breaks
fun place, good people
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 28, 2018
Manager was the reason I left, plus personal reasons. Wanted to come back seasonally, but was denied with a letter from manager stating I did not have enough experience. I was a top sales team leader for five years. Not enough experience? I was sent for special training for electronics? still not enough experience?
Pros
people, discounts
Cons
management
Its a job
Assistant Store Manager - Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAOctober 24, 2018
The company has no real direction as it tries all that it can to keep up with the changing time. They seem to always have changes occurring at upper levels that only suggest that instability is trying to be weeded out. They offer very little support and training is a lot for most that don't work enough time so they can use all that training to good use. most of it gets lost between the days.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Poor leadership and Culture
Very fun warm atmosphere
SEASONAL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INOctober 23, 2018
I absolutely loved working at Sur La Table! I ended up selling coffee machines and i made commission! The management was fun and welcoming from the beginning! Working at Sur La Table was so fun, the products are easy to sell and the people are great to be around.
Pros
Atmosphere, discounts
Cons
Pay is a little low
Know How
Manager on Duty/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAOctober 16, 2018
Everyone I came across at this job had some sort of know how that they could apply to their job including myself and I found it to be a beautiful thing. As I got to know my store manager more I learned that he saw those exact things in all of us and wanted to put it all together and create a well run team. I learned how being open could give you a successful career and a sense of happiness watching my boss. My favorite time was running around helping people during Christmas and everyone else working was also tied up while no one was at the cashwrap. I ran over to the cash register and started ringing people up with a very long line. I smiled and got the holidays moving.
Pros
Free Espresso shots
Cons
Cleanup at the end of the day
PT Culinary Instructor for 20 months
Culinary Instructor (Current Employee) –  Glendale, WIOctober 14, 2018
I was a PT Culinary Instructor for the past 20 months. Came into the job with 20 years of culinary experience and running my own business as well. I have been an independent contractor for many years and many organizations around my city offering cooking classes and personal chef services. SLT will not hire staff as independent contractors, so you are forced to become an employee, which is what I did, despite my intuitive concerns. What this means is that you are subject to the same policies as completely untrained and uneducated retail floor employees in terms of your schedule, pay, and most notably, the way that you are addressed, communicated with and treated as a human being. Even though I was hired on the premise of teaching 1-2 classes a week (to complement my own personal chef business), some weeks there were no shifts or canceled shifts and some weeks they scheduled you at random times, with very little notice, for up to 4 shifts. Most of the time, schedules were posted 1 week ahead. Classes were canceled for lack of registration on several occasions with less than 24 hours notice to the chef instructor. Staff meetings were called at the pleasure of the manager and culinary manager at times when you were not shifted. Teaching classes was always fun and rewarding but the store does not even thank CI's for their efforts in helping to sell products to students. Moreover, the store almost always under-scheduled the kitchen assistants, who worked like dogs. I was virtually laughed at when I inquired about incentives for the many, many products that I was personally  more... responsible for selling. Moreover, the teaching kitchen is stocked with old, even broken versions of tools, and the store is frequently out of stock of the tools that we use in the teaching kitchen. Employees are forbidden from communicating with each other or the store to determine work shifts other than by telephone. Schedules given by phone were wrong on several occasions and there was no way to verify with a paper schedule as printed communication via email or text is forbidden due to inane corporate policies. Managers are frequently blaming and complaining about the ridiculousness of the corporate policies yet seem powerless or unwilling to speak up to their superiors. There is definitely, as one reviewer said, an "I gotcha" attitude rather than one of mutual respect. I loved teaching people how to cook, and I was even willing to do it for a relatively low wage, but it was overshadowed and ultimately ruined by inane, unrealistic corporate policies in the end. I tried to reach out and communicate with the managers about improving communication, scheduling and policies for culinary instructors, but the store claims that they are not allowed to respond to emails even from customers and they refused to meet in a timely or meaningful manner when I made my requests. I would have been happy to work there indefinitely as a fun side job to complement my business, but the company is simply not set up that way for experienced chefs. It's really too bad. As a result, I don't recommend this job as a part time job to complement other work or a work/family/travel balance.  less
Pros
Helping people improve their cooking skills
Cons
policies inappropriate for experienced chefs; lowest common denominator policies;
enjoyed learning about the culinary world.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 4, 2018
good seasonal job. i worked there for 2 holidays seasons in 2016 and 2017. The equipement (computers ) were in need of updating. Many of the computers were old and out of date that included the keybooads and other equipment required to do the job. I enjoyed working with the staff there and got along well with everyone.
Pros
discounts
Cons
hours and equipement
Quick pace
Cashier-Seasonal (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 3, 2018
The pace at sur la table was great. It was an easy job. The store was always busy. The managers kind of just throw you on the floor with little knowledge of the store.
Overall place to work
Floor Lead (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 27, 2018
Good place to work. Nice people, great location. Opportunity for advancement is slim but if you are a student looking for part time work this company is a good place to start.
Excellent Company to work for!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLSeptember 17, 2018
In working for this company It was truly an honor to not only educate the incoming customers but also the education that we as employees received through all the vendors that Sur La Table had. We had monthly and biweekly incentives. The company has excellent standards, fantastic management and is very well-versed and how to work the floor we were taught and trained and everything that I learned I gained experience when I walked away from the company. They are fair in their pay, I wish I could’ve worked full-time but at the time I was only able to do part however management was very flexible and very kind and all staff got along!
Pros
Great company to work for
Cons
Great company to work for
Horrible Management
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVSeptember 15, 2018
They don’t care about their employees. Boss is hardly ever on the sales floor. Doesn’t have a clue what is going on. Sales staff are cutthroat despite the fact there is no commission.
Pros
Kitchen staff are nice
Cons
Cutthroat staff
Learned so much over the years
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CASeptember 11, 2018
The manager did not know what she was doing at times. She did not know how to delegate tasks. she would come in and work when she was not supposed to.
Great place to work part time
Sales Floor Lead/Shopper/Kitchen Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALSeptember 10, 2018
I love working at Sur la Table, but they don't pay very much. If you love cooking, then you will probably enjoy working here. I worked in the kitchen and on the floor and loved both.
Pros
discounts
Cons
low pay
good work place
OWNER/SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INSeptember 5, 2018
learned a lot of different jobs which give me the chance to apply and move to different jobs and advance up in company. good pay with good benefits and 401k
benefits
Cons
If you want to be a minimum wage dishwasher and be taken advantage of by the Resident Chef to do their job, too, have a ball
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 24, 2018
Unfortunately, Sur la Table COULD be a great place to work, but it isn't. Chef Instructors are great, but never get the hours they want/need and constantly take the fall for poorly organized and prepared Resident Chef. Worst pay around. No control of your work week despite the corporate S.O.P's that pretend it is. Time clock issues that only favor the corporation. Nothing beyond average reviews no matter how many paragraphs of praise are included. Can't keep good help. Complete structural and procedural inconsistency. In short, if you are not applying for one of the three top jobs, I wouldn't. Corporate doesn't care, top dogs don't either, it's all about their bonuses. You are expendable, even though they never seem to be able to replace anyone. Too bad, it could so easily have been a great experience for all the good people there who keep trying to make it so.
Pros
Well fed, sometimes. Some wonderful and knowledgeable colleagues/clients
Cons
Lousy pay, Corporate mindset that only the top staff matter. No advancement.
Fun place to learn new things
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Southlake, TXAugust 18, 2018
It is a fun place to work if your a foodie. You can learn lots of new kitchen tools and you get a great discount there. And the cooking classes are a lot of fun
Amazing Job
Floor Lead (Former Employee) –  Rockville, MDAugust 18, 2018
Loved working here! I learned so much about culinary arts and they even have cooking classes! Very well run place from management all the way down to sales associates.
seasonal job
order picker (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INAugust 15, 2018
Management had no clue what other departments were doing and could cause lots of problems. almost no way to move up without spending lotssss of time here. very strict absence/tardy policy.
Relaxed workplace, discount is great
Sails associate (Current Employee) –  Southlake, TXAugust 8, 2018
It’s a great place to work for fun, I love to cook so I got the job to use the 40% off discount and thus far have spent $7,000... so far. My particular manager doesn’t give out many hours to anyone so his bonus at the end of the year is bigger.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No benefits and low hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sur La Table. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight