Sur La Table Employee Reviews

Huge Pressure on Employees to Meet Unrealistic Goals
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Novi, MINovember 21, 2018
Sur La Table has a very high standard for their employees and expect a lot for very little compensation.
CEO and lower management are dysfunctional.
Although Sur La Table did expand my knowledge on higher end cookware that helped become well-versed in the cookware world.
My personal management team at my location respected my coworkers and myself. They were also understanding and willing to work with you with scheduling.
Pros
Training/Teaching employees on high-end cookware
Cons
Ceo, Unrealistic goals, Interrupted breaks
If you want to be a minimum wage dishwasher and be taken advantage of by the Resident Chef to do their job, too, have a ball
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 24, 2018
Unfortunately, Sur la Table COULD be a great place to work, but it isn't. Chef Instructors are great, but never get the hours they want/need and constantly take the fall for poorly organized and prepared Resident Chef. Worst pay around. No control of your work week despite the corporate S.O.P's that pretend it is. Time clock issues that only favor the corporation. Nothing beyond average reviews no matter how many paragraphs of praise are included. Can't keep good help. Complete structural and procedural inconsistency. In short, if you are not applying for one of the three top jobs, I wouldn't. Corporate doesn't care, top dogs don't either, it's all about their bonuses. You are expendable, even though they never seem to be able to replace anyone. Too bad, it could so easily have been a great experience for all the good people there who keep trying to make it so.
Pros
Well fed, sometimes. Some wonderful and knowledgeable colleagues/clients
Cons
Lousy pay, Corporate mindset that only the top staff matter. No advancement.
Love this place
Pastry Chef Instructor (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 16, 2019
Management in GR in awesome. They strive to create a desirable work environment. You will learn a LOT. You get a really good discount. The pay for instructors is pretty good, the ONLY downside is the fluctuating schedule and uncertainty of schedule. Sweet part time gig though.
Pros
Great people, discounts, pay, flexible hours
Cons
No benefits unless management
Know How
Manager on Duty/Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAOctober 16, 2018
Everyone I came across at this job had some sort of know how that they could apply to their job including myself and I found it to be a beautiful thing. As I got to know my store manager more I learned that he saw those exact things in all of us and wanted to put it all together and create a well run team. I learned how being open could give you a successful career and a sense of happiness watching my boss. My favorite time was running around helping people during Christmas and everyone else working was also tied up while no one was at the cashwrap. I ran over to the cash register and started ringing people up with a very long line. I smiled and got the holidays moving.
Pros
Free Espresso shots
Cons
Cleanup at the end of the day
Floor Lead (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 5, 2018
I've had nothing but good experiences working for Sur La Table. Nt only do they give their employees freedom, but advancement is easy as long as you work hard. There are lots of perks for someone who likes cooking/baking, and you learn so much everyday.
work
Receiving Associate/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INNovember 1, 2018
go in expect lift .talk to supervisor for days work schedule. I learned to restock flow racks. management was caring and observant. the culture could be hazard's .
Pros
gooding working environment
Cons
only min breaks
Excellent Company to work for!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLSeptember 17, 2018
In working for this company It was truly an honor to not only educate the incoming customers but also the education that we as employees received through all the vendors that Sur La Table had. We had monthly and biweekly incentives. The company has excellent standards, fantastic management and is very well-versed and how to work the floor we were taught and trained and everything that I learned I gained experience when I walked away from the company. They are fair in their pay, I wish I could’ve worked full-time but at the time I was only able to do part however management was very flexible and very kind and all staff got along!
Pros
Great company to work for
Cons
Great company to work for
Fun classes, stressful managment
Culinary Lead (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAJuly 23, 2018
Teaching cooking classes was amazing. Utilizing my skills to be able to complete tasks on the daily was fun. I loved every second I was in that kitchen. Unfortunately, behind the scenes, management was very rude and condescending. You could never live up to their standards, no matter what.
Pros
Learn new cooking techniques
Cons
short breaks, long hours.
Great discount but not much else
Sales (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAAugust 6, 2018
a very generous 40% discount on most products but management is lazy and ineffective at best. zero training, one must be prepared to pick things up on their own very quickly. worth it for the discount if you're making a few larger purchases
Pros
flexible schedule, generous discount
Cons
low pay, no room for advancement
They are not fair in management and they just want you to work and not appreciate you as a employee
Material Handler (Production) (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INDecember 11, 2018
They were not fair to some groups of workers. They did not appreciate their employees. they do not train you, they just see if you know how to pick. Then show you shortcut pick ways the you use the RF and to navigate through the facility. They don't even give you a full break or lunch. Your lunch is 20 mins.
Pros
having a job and getting paid
Cons
short breaks, management, treated poorly
good work place
OWNER/SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Brownsburg, INSeptember 5, 2018
learned a lot of different jobs which give me the chance to apply and move to different jobs and advance up in company. good pay with good benefits and 401k
benefits
Its a job
Assistant Store Manager - Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAOctober 24, 2018
The company has no real direction as it tries all that it can to keep up with the changing time. They seem to always have changes occurring at upper levels that only suggest that instability is trying to be weeded out. They offer very little support and training is a lot for most that don't work enough time so they can use all that training to good use. most of it gets lost between the days.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Poor leadership and Culture
Great Pay and Benefits
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brownsburg, INFebruary 5, 2018
Pay is good. No raise. Computer programs are SUPER old. If they had easier customer friendly programs to use they would grow leaps and bounds. The old programs are frustrating to customers, thus making your job more stressful then it needs to be. No clear, concise policies. Head Management is not interested in employees lives. One team lead doesn't care, another team lead is verbally abusive to employee and customers. A lot of "clicks" between management and employees(best friends and family working under each other). HUGE favortism. Benefits and pay outstanding. Sadly everything else over shadows the good!!
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Sterile Management approach and favortism.
fun place, good people
Senior Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 28, 2018
Manager was the reason I left, plus personal reasons. Wanted to come back seasonally, but was denied with a letter from manager stating I did not have enough experience. I was a top sales team leader for five years. Not enough experience? I was sent for special training for electronics? still not enough experience?
Pros
people, discounts
Cons
management
Not bad for assistant managers and above
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 26, 2018
Pay and benefits are good if you are assistant manager or above.
Management is luck of the draw. The store manager for 5 years was amazing. Seen other managers and District managers over the years that were not. The bottom of this page makes me rate the CEO. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt since he is the 3rd CEO in 4 years.
Pros
Good discount, fun atmosphere if you like food-toys and people.
Cons
Part timers are expected to work way too many hours, unreasonable expectations, so much for work-life balance
Prefer not to answer
Marketing Manager, Culinary and Local (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 10, 2018
I prefer not to comment directly on the position. I wish the brand and the people that I worked with all the success in the world. All I will comment is that the position and company culture were not a good fit.
Pleasant place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCDecember 31, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Sur La Table and only left when an opportunity in restaurant management was offered to me. Their discount program is wonderful, especially for someone with a culinary background. I was able to learn a lot about different products for home and commercial use.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
n/a
Inspiring place to work if interested in culinary goods and cooking info.
Retail Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CANovember 26, 2018
Great place to work for a retail part time job. Nice people, friendly customers, no drama! The culture is very supportive. I learned quite a bit about culinary support and kitchen items to help me be more efficient and creative with food preparation.
Very fun warm atmosphere
SEASONAL SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INOctober 23, 2018
I absolutely loved working at Sur La Table! I ended up selling coffee machines and i made commission! The management was fun and welcoming from the beginning! Working at Sur La Table was so fun, the products are easy to sell and the people are great to be around.
Pros
Atmosphere, discounts
Cons
Pay is a little low
Wouldn't want my dog walker to work there
Employee (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCJune 2, 2018
Management is cut-throat scapegoat artists.
Point the blame everywhere but at their own shoes.
When they can't meet their quotas, they blame the nearest victim even if it's their own fault.
Pros
Discounts on equipment
Cons
Management is scapegoat artists, lack of accountability

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sur La Table. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight