Surge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center Employee Reviews

No structured inservice
Registered Nurse, medication nurse. (Former Employee) –  Middle Island, NYJuly 13, 2019
When I went to my interview, the Nursing director told me that I was hired to work day shift, per diem and that I would be responsible for ten patients.She also told me that I would be working with another nurse who would be assigned to do the treatments and diabetes management of my patients. The Nursing director knew that I had no Nursing home experience and that I had never used a computer system .
The orientation program was brief. It had very little nursing training. No instruction on how to administer medications via a computer system. No nursing knowledge at all.
Also, when I arrived the scheduling person coerced me into working evenings where I had to work as the only nurse on a unit with forty patients to medicate. There was a supervisor who was very unhelpful. She w as the only nursing supervisor of the whole facility.
Cons
Not a supportive work environment.
Power Surge
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Middle Island, NYMay 26, 2019
Salary is not fair to the employees duties. There’s a time clock but your pay check doesn’t reflect the time you’ve spent working. You’re penalized for lateness but not compensated for staying later than your shift.Understaffed and high turnover of employees. No annual raise or retirement benefits. No opportunities for career advancement. Minuscule involvement of management in resident or employees relationships.
Pros
Minimal commute time & work environment
Cons
Benefits, health care, employees punctuality, salary, management, retirement benefits, educational/career advancement
Nice employees, poor upper management
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Middle Island, NYApril 4, 2019
Pay is not worth the workload and stress. Understaffed, no available overtime, no compensation for extra time spent past 8 hours including waiting for next shift to relieve us, Understaffed on weekends, high turnover.
Pros
Good place to get experience
Cons
Low paying
Fun to work with the residents
Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middle Island, NYAugust 28, 2018
I like to work with the residents. The management is not to good and it’s was changed a few times. Some of the staff is great and unfortunately some are unprofessional.
Management weak and non supportive
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Middle Island, NYMay 24, 2018
The nursing assistants were in subordinate and not available. The management was weak and the assistants took advantage. There is not much supervision of aides and new nurse. There is not much inservice. There is not much education and evaluation of the staff. Basic care, ice water and supplies not easily accessible to patients. Nursing assistants run from floor to floor not available and taking too many breaks. allowed to not finish care or answer buzzers especially on weekends and holidays. they take advantage of staff nurses because we are too busy doing our work to see what they are doing . And supervisors hide in their offices and do not seem to care about the situation.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
short breaks
Hard working individuals providing great care.
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Middle Island, NYApril 4, 2017
The hardest part of the job is being short staffed or co-workers not necessarily willing to go out of their way to help one another. Management was great, friendly and courteous. The culture at the workplace is very diverse but quickly becomes family-like. I've learned not to take things for granted and to cherish those around you because at any given moment things can change. By far the most enjoyable part of the job, are the relationships you for with the residents. Making them laugh, comforting them when their upset. It's truly rewarding.
Pros
Laid back atmosphere, amazing nurses
Cons
Short breaks, Not enough pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Surge Rehabilitation and Nursing Center. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4