Surrounds, Inc. Employee Reviews

A designer's dream!
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAJune 26, 2017
Surrounds is a full service, start to finish, residential landscape architecture and management firm. To be part of a project from start to finish and watch the landscape evolve and mature is a unique and wonderful experience. Every project is a unique design based on the client's dream they have for their outdoor environment.

As a plant lover it is exciting and stressful all at the same time to keep the beautiful properties up to to the level of the client's expectation.
Pros
Great Clients, Supportive Team
Rewarding place to work; great people
Purchaser (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAJune 26, 2017
Working at Surrounds has been a great opportunity for me. I like that my work days are busy and full--there is never a dull moment and I leave with a sense of accomplishment everyday. We are a tight-knit team and that is the most enjoyable part of my job; we work well with each other and enjoy each other's company outside of business hours. The people here work enthusiastically to maintain our clients' happiness. I enjoy and appreciate the team effort it takes in order to do so. The most difficult part of my job has been learning what all goes in to complete a job from start to finish and keeping everyone on the same page.
Pros
High standards of expectation, great team, upper management genuinely cares about individual production and personalities
Cons
Typical landscaping hours
Great profit sharing
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VAApril 12, 2017
Work started with a morning safety review to make sure everyone was following safe procedures. It's a small company, so you will get the chance to see the owners everyday. Depending on your skills, you can be promoted fairly easily.
Leading Design Build Firm in Washington DC
Landscape Construction Foreman (Former Employee) –  Sterling, VANovember 6, 2014
Surrounds, LLC generated over 20 million in revenue for the 2013-2014 fiscal year. During my tenure, the invested in my development, hosted seminars, training sessions, facilitated networking opportunities and actively engaged the employees to stay current and educated on industry standards and practices.

The workday begins at 6:00AM for the crew members. It is the responsibility of the foreman to go over the route sheets and have all materials ready to leave the yard by 6:00AM. This can be a hectic time as it requires the organization of crews, large machinery, work trucks, skid loading, order processing and material loading. Utilizing my bilingual skills to communicate effectively in English and Spanish was imperative to performing my duties.

The Production managers are an essential part of the team. I consider myself fortunate to have worked with a knowledgeable, skilled group that encourage and facilitated continuous learning. I believe this to be the most important aspect of progress both personally and professionally. Their job consists of managing the financial accounts of their respective divisions and allocating resources effectively to reach company goals.

The most essential part of my job is my crew. Without operational efficiency and successful group dynamics a crew will not be effective and/or profitable. I owe all of my success at Surrounds, LLC. They were among the hardest working, appreciative individuals I have ever had the pleasure of working with. The main difference between and successful crew, and one that is not profitable is no fault of the
  more... laborers. Communication, leadership, motivation, goal development and acquisition are the keys to success.

The hardest part of the job is, invariably, completing jobs on time and under budget consistently and maintaining the balance. Selling more jobs isn't always a good thing if you and your crew aren't able to manage them.

The most enjoyable part of the job is developing and maintaining client relations. I believe that the difference between and satisfied and
unsatisfied customer often times has more to do with client relations than the job itself. For example, when a mistake inevitably happens, if a client has faith in her relationship with the Foreman they will be more inclined to view it as an opportunity for improvement as opposed to an "error". By managing client expectations you are essentially managing the client relationship. If you back this up with accountability then the client will have faith in your ability to rectify the situation.

In summary, among the most important lessons I learned at Surrounds is that people are more inclined to do business with people they get along with. Also, if you treat people as though they are valuable and worthy of your respect they seem to happily return the favor.
Pros
Exposure to high end sales/business practice, professional organization, management experience
Cons
Inconsistent hours, Physically demanding

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Surrounds, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2