Surya Employee Reviews

Great product
ACCOUNT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  White, GAAugust 14, 2018
CEO does not care about anything but himself. Not a place for any growth or advancement. Average work life is less than 6 months, very high turnover. CEO is a walking HR nightmare.
Cons
Everything but the product.
Interesting Experience
Account Manager II (Current Employee) –  White, GAJuly 24, 2018
The people you will work with and what you do as your job will be worth it in the long run if you can withstand zero sense of communication amongst departments and management not really caring...
Problems getting information to do job properly
IT (Former Employee) –  White, GAJune 26, 2018
Bad management with regards to helping improve job performance. They promote a atmosphere that is difficult to communicate with and give little help in training or assisting current employees,
Pros
pay
Cons
managment
Poor company across the board
Design Sales Specialist, West Florida (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLApril 19, 2018
When the company was first started by the man's father who is running it today, it stood on high values, and a strong mission. However, ever still I have left there the company has continued to become in disarray - which I can say/measure because of how I am still connected with them. It is sad to see what was such a quality, well respected company, poorly, internally mismanaged.
Surya
Accounting Internship (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 29, 2018
Surya was a great working place. My employer was super patient and nice as well as the co-workers. Overall, it was a great working environment. I learned a lot from this job.
Pros
super nice employer and co-workers.
Cons
too far from my home
relaxed but yet stressful at times
SHIPPING CLERK (Current Employee) –  White, GAOctober 9, 2017
I have learned more than I have taught being here at Surya, But I haven't advance in my role here and I have been here 3 years. Management is very understanding of family I have a son and have had to take days off with him and was able to do so each and every time with out problem.
Pros
Family orinted
Cons
pay is not great
Great forward thinking environment
Intern (Former Employee) –  White, GAAugust 8, 2017
Great place to learn and hone your skills, excellent mentors who care about your future. Great positive work space, where they encourage you to think creatively.
Great learning step stone to my career.
Pre-Production Dept Lead (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAFebruary 21, 2017
Surya was a great learning step stone to my career. I started with them as a order entry clerk. They quickly acknowledged my attention to detail and supported me in moving around the company to learn other areas of the business.
productive work place
Packing and Shipping (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, GANovember 30, 2016
Enjoyed working at Surya except the fact that I was the only American on the floor. Only 5 women, the rest were Hispanic men. The hours and management were very respectable.
Cons
no benefits
Designers- Don't Work Here!
Product Development/ Designer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 11, 2016
This was the most demeaning place I have ever worked. If you take a design position here, you will certainly regret it - for many different reasons. The most offensive aspect about this job was that the design director places designers under two categories- 'I like you' or 'I dislike you'. Unfortunately, this isn't based on merit- not based on talent, performance, experience or a willingness to work extremely hard (and it doesn't matter how nice you are, or how hard you try to please management). Designers don't know why, but most just won't be given any opportunities to prove themselves and will find themselves stuck. Successes will not be acknowledged, and management will take credit for them. The designers who are favored are given rewarding design opportunities- but this is one or two (two at most) out of the group. On a daily basis, the designers walk on eggshells, and the majority are completely ignored- as if they are not there. It is a tyrannical environment. My advice to any designer who values their talent, their education, or wants to develop their talent and skill- don't work here. Most people are looking to get out as soon as possible.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Management shows a complete lack of respect for the employees, unprofessional management, poor work environment, no growth, pay is low, the leaders of this company drink to the point of oblivion at trade shows- embarrassing
Fun work place
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, GASeptember 30, 2016
Everyone was welcoming and helpful to learning the job. Just wish it wasn't a temporary position. The management was great and they worked with me when my fiancé was in the hospital for 4 days straight. A typical day at work would be going in and receiving a slip of paper that told me what carpets needed to be pulled. I would match the number with the one on the carpet roll and pull it from the shelf to be sent.
Run Far Away
Ecommerce Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, GASeptember 19, 2016
- Terrible benefits: 21 days of PTO days after 10 years of service
- President is arrogant and is too busy planning the "future" to see the basic and detrimental issues happening in real time
-Management has no understanding on how to manage people/their teams and find ways to pass your work off as their own
- This company has ZERO internal integrity
- Only positive is the new skills I gained that will help me get a new job
- Great if your fresh out of college, but take the knowledge and leave quickly
Great party-line, but reality is much different
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaAugust 25, 2016
Surya has invested in a GREAT public relations department and puts up a great front, but once you start working it doesn't take long for reality to set in. Management is seriously lacking in communication skills. They have no trouble giving orders, but they need to learn how to ask and LISTEN to the employees that are doing the actual daily labor of the company. The employees that are fielding calls from irate and cussing customers and ticked off vendors. THIS is where your improvement comes from. This is how you learn your company's weaknesses. They haven't seemed to have figured that out yet. I believe this company has the potential to be phenomenal, but they can't even be considered mediocre right now. If you don't mind swallowing the party line and being nothing but a number, by all means, apply. Otherwise, keep looking.
Pros
monthly meeting with breakfast, great coworkers, health benefits
Cons
interdepartmental static, uninterested management, no overtime allowed, sharing ideas isn't encouraged, low pay, 401k vesting is ridiculous, regular office supplies not available
Great Place to work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAJune 6, 2016
Surya was a great place to work. Management was amazing and understanding. Learned many new skills that I would have not otherwise have.
Good place to start my IT career.
Network Admin/ PC support Technician (Current Employee) –  Calhoun, GAMarch 1, 2016
Co-workers are easy to get along with, Management just doesn't seem to know what direction their going. Always changing their minds about everything and never giving clearly defined requests or tasks.
Pros
Christmas parties, and monthly free breakfast.
Cons
upper management's unclear direction.
Surya - growing into home decor
Design Sales Specialist, West Florida (Former Employee) –  West FloridaDecember 16, 2015
Surya is well known for their beautiful and wide selection of rugs. They have expanded their product categories into to bedding, lighting, art as well as other categories too. Being a design sales specialist allowed me to work with an array of different clients using different strategies to meet their business needs. I learned ways to analyze, develop, and execute programs and promotions.
Pros
Different everyday
Great coworkers and fast paced.
Customer Care (Current Employee) –  Calhoun, GAAugust 23, 2015
Productive workplace, building a new building that will make Surya a whole lot better environment. Not enough space in the offices. Great place to work for.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales & Market Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calhoun, Ga.September 23, 2014
Surya focuses on empowerment, engagement, and collaboration. Everyday hard working individuals are focused on making the customer happy.
Pros
Talented co-workers and rapidly growing company
Cons
Frequent travel with long hours
Surya
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Calhoun, GAMay 1, 2014
A typical day at work would include prospecting for new accounts, calling leads, setting up new accounts and working to grow existing accounts. I continuously had goals that I would strive to achieve including call volume, new accounts opened and money brought in to the company. My goals were measured on a weekly, monthly and yearly basis.

Surya is a b2b company, and I learned how to effectively work with business owners by helping them grow their business. I learned to take the "sales" out of salesperson, and bring a more personalized approach to solving the needs of the business owners.

My co-workers were all around the same age as myself, but were all among different demographics and backgrounds. I soon came into a leadership role which allowed me to train incoming employees. As a result, I created our new hire website that was used as a company wide tool to train new hires.

About 6-8 times a year the company would participate in industry trade shows. The hardest part of the job was setting up our showrooms. Our typical showroom would be approximately 25,000 square feet. We send a team of 5 to set up these showrooms in about 3-5 days working 12-14 hour days.

The most enjoyable part of my job was watching accounts that I personally opened do repeat business. This is the key to the success of our company. Our last fiscal year our sales team brought in $85 million and I felt good about being a major contributor to that number.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Compensation and commute
Tyrannical Management out for their own good at the cost of the employees!
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Calhoun, GAMarch 27, 2014
This company is run with an iron-fist by the owner and upper-management. The term "cultural differences" is bandied about as a way to negate the horrible way that they treat underlings and females. This company has absolutely no care for the safety of employees whether they are in the shipping warehouses or the product development team. The term "good old boys syndrome" is in clear evidence as soon as you walk in the door. A single person is not allowed to make a decision unless a meeting about the meeting about the proposal of the meeting is attended by the COO, President and CIO.I have witnessed first hand where a wonderful idea for time-management, money-saving procedures could be put in place but because the MANAGEMENT did not come up with it, it automatically was rejected. They expect you to check your email 24/7 yet will not answer an email unless it is IMPORTANT to them.Forget competitive pay there is no such thing at this company.Also good luck getting unemployment when they terminate you as they will lie and create some situation that will appear that you were at fault.I would not even recommend this company to a newly released convict that could only find a job at a wafflehouse. At least at Wafflehouse they would be treated with more respect.
Pros
Non-management employees are all hardworking people
Cons
Non-competitive, Discriminatory against non-Indian ethicity