SUSE Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
Senior Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTOctober 28, 2019
Good place to work. Managers regularily ask for input from employees. Employees receive good support from management on how to build high performing teams.
Linux company with open source at its core
Lead UI developer (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAOctober 16, 2019
SUSE's culture is one in which open source is in its DNA, and whenever a decision is made about direction/tools/documentation, that is always a factor.

SUSE encourages everyone to voice their opinion without repercussions, so there is a lot of frank discussions that go on. There are many up sides to this, but one down side is that it can be difficult to get consensus and to settle on a direction.

The company is distributed around the world, and it is a great way to work with people in many places and backgrounds. Nevertheless, Nuremburg is still the center of the universe for SUSE, and when push comes to shove, the folks there will likely have a stronger influence on the direction. SUSE's workforce, especially in Germany, is largely (80-90%) male and white.
Good, growing company, but sometimes disorganized
Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTJanuary 15, 2019
I like working here, and it seems like management really does care about the mission of the company and about the employees. If you have trouble dealing with uncertainty or waiting, this is not the place for you. While it's a good company with people who care, a lot of processes are clunky and time consuming. It's not always easy to get the information you need. Sometimes things that should take minutes take hours, and sometimes things that should take days take months.
Pros
Growing company, flexible, good management
Cons
clunky processes, communication
Really good and really bad
Marketing (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 15, 2018
It all depends on who you work for. The company and senior leadership (above vp level) is great. The CEO, in particular, is a great businessperson, but also cares about his employees. Below evp level, you can run into some micro managers who profess to give you leeway, but then don't. Some middle managers go after their colleagues, and some department heads seem to encourage that behavior, wanting to see who will survive. It's a highly distributed workforce, so the hours can be long due to conference calls with other regions. Working from home was good, though.

I really wanted to like working for this company (and most of the time I did), but after seeing how my department vp treated people she disagreed with, I could no longer recommend it as a good place to work - borderline discrimination, even. I think other areas of the company are pretty good.
Good place overall
Partner Executive, Embedded Channel (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 2, 2016
I enjoyed working at SUSE but I found myself selling into a new market for the company and it was not working well. I am being let go rather than reassigned.
Pros
Great compensation and benefits, great engineering company
Cons
Growing fast and many overaggressive type A managers lurking in the ranks
company was good, manegment was horrible!
Sr Linux Technical Spec (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 13, 2015
loved working for the company ... co workers were great, software is great. My Manager was not so great, he had no backbone and would not stand up for his workers. If they were to get rid of some of the slack account executives, that would make it even better!
Pros
salary, co workers, etc
Cons
horrible manaegment
Inept Management at Capital firm, Dying Partner Brands
Territory Sales (Former Employee) –  United StatesOctober 6, 2014
SUSE Needs to be spun off to a larger company that can take advantage of its overall growth potential and engineering strength. The parent companies of Novell and the Capital Management firm are in a position to do neither.
Pros
Brilliant Engineers, Great people
Cons
inept management at top driving business decisions
great company to work at
Technical Manager (Current Employee) –  Provo, UTApril 3, 2013
Great company to work at. Great benefits, work hours and people
Pros
great benefits, work hours and people