SusieCakes Employee Reviews

One of the best jobs ever
Guest Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Manhattan Bch, CAJanuary 17, 2019
Depending on management the environment can be stressful. (Good management positive environment, Bad Management negative environment). Overall the work place was fantastic especially once the poor management left. Everyone was a very close knit crew and always helping each other.
Pros
Hours are wonderful
Cons
Now open Sundays and make it hard to go to Church
It's sad what is happening to the company......
Guest Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 29, 2018
I was lead to believe that SusieCakes was the “it” job for me. Management fed me sweet nothings and promised advancement. It all started out wonderfully! I was so happy to be working somewhere that I loved!...(OR so i thought).

The turnaround started to increase as the full-time staff (including me) were all becoming BURNT OUT. We gave and gave and gave until nothing was left. We never got mentions on great jobs well done — only on our mistakes.

The team was all so new to changes with SusieCakes. Working with all territorial females, it was a constant game of ‘nu uh! I know the right answer!’ Instead of working as a team. At the end of the day, too many people (who had been there 2+ years) were invested into SusieCakes with TOO many personal issues and emotions.
...it became toxic.

Higher management had zero communication. We lost market managers, store managers, AGMS and others like no tomorrow. It became an obvious malfunctioning bakery.

There’s TOO MUCH EXPECTED..never enough encouragement. There's always a new rule after you JUST learned all the others. I’m so sad to say this: but SusieCakes will NEVER conquer the “turnover” rates without doing some SEVERE remodeling with hierarchy staff.

At the end of the day—it’s the dollar that matters here. Don’t expect anything in return. Toxicity is finished and I feel RELIEVED!
Pros
Free sweets, cash tips
Cons
Expectations, emotions, gossip, drama, no support!
An outdated place that focus on makeing you work uneccesarry hard instead of work smart! Sad!
GS (Former Employee) –  Pennisula, caSeptember 15, 2018
Poor and very micro managed to the bone. Products are just huge, but so so quality. Everything is so sweet and sugary it makes me want to throw up. We are not given proper tools to do our jobs, and the uniform is uncomfortable. Everything you do is wrong even though you were told to do it that way. Good luck if you think it's a fun place to work. You'll be lucky if you don't end up with broken wrists!
Pros
No pros really. Quality of baked goods aren't even that good.
Cons
Poor benefits. "Cold" place to work ( both temperature and co-workers faces), bad uniforms, bad quality of products, micromanage 247.
I wouldn't recommend
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CAAugust 23, 2018
They overwork you with little pay. The manager was always rude and made the work environment very uncomfortable to work in. They didn't know how to approach and talk to employees, if something went wrong, they resorted to yelling at me in front of customers.
Poor Management
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJune 13, 2018
Really cutthroat with upper management and other coworkers in general. Everything winds up being your fault even when it isn't. Absolutely no home/work life balance. I got fired for calling out sick, which is ridiculous.
We care about each other
Team Member (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaApril 17, 2018
From day one, everyone I've met has been kind and empathetic. People here come from working late nights in restaurant and hotel, and are able to have some hours and holidays again. It's fast paced and the expectations are high, but everyone works hard to to accomplish goals together. I even went through some personal stuff and my team supported me through it. There's room for advancement as the company grows and opens new bakeries, so I'm excited for my career here.
Pros
discounts on baked goods, good people
nice place to work
Head Baker (Former Employee) –  Calabasas, CAFebruary 27, 2018
I loved the experience working with Susiecakes.

I would have like it more if they had more variety of menu and opportunities with their job catagories.

also their expectations vs job description are very strict and there's really no wavering. which made for a lot of turnover and increased work hours from a managers status.

compensation vs. overall responsibility doesn't match up.

but their cakes and cupcakes are really good and I did enjoy what they were trying to do as a company model.
Pros
goodies and treats
Cons
no coffee, and harsh hours
Fast paced and professional while upholding an atmosphere of fun.
Baker (Current Employee) –  Manhattan Beach, CAOctober 5, 2017
SusieCakes is the bakery to work at if you love production. As every item should look perfect, you also need to move quickly. The overall experience is of working with managers who truly care about their output, and employees who are well acquainted with the work flow.
Too much work, not enough people
AM Baker (Former Employee) –  San Carlos, CAJuly 12, 2017
The only way to even come close to completing all of the tasks that were assigned to me was to work through my breaks, and often that still wasn't enough. I went home every day both physically and mentally exhausted and had no energy to do anything else. Management was very nice and tried to offer support, but there's only so much one person can do.
Great guests and co workers with poor engagement
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Del Rey, CAJanuary 31, 2017
I always closed so got very good at my job loved helping guests and learning from my more experienced co workers. The job offered little to no room for growth regardless of how many times I asked. Learned as much as I could from co workers since management did not take the time to teach me when I was willing.
Great place to work, amazing co-workers, but management was horrible.
Guest Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMarch 23, 2016
I absolutely loved working here. I became so close with all my co-workers and easily became friends with all of them. the training was a little TOO extraneous though, just to box cupcakes & what exact words to say to guests. it took about 3 months just to get trained on how to take a small phone order... cakes are yummy. pricey, but good. although everything is not as fresh or 'homemade' as we are supposed to say ... i loved my assistant manger, she was the best and most kind-hearted person. but my new general manager (that had replaced the old gm) was a pain. i felt as if everything i did was not good enough for her, like she did not like the way i wrote something on a box, she would get a whole new one and move her new writing 3 mm towards the corner of the box. it made me feel like i didnt know how to write on a box for goodness sake. also, i never told anyone, but i felt so disrespected by her because of my beliefs.i won't go into detail because i dont want to feel as if i am bashing her. but that was a huge negative working here, the lack of disrespect she had towards me was very unprofessional. other co-workers i was close too knew something was wrong and when i told them, they agreed. but i guess you need to put up with whatever it takes these days to have a source of income.
Pros
free products, nice environment, friendly co-workers, AMAZING assistant manger, long hours
Cons
long work days (+ & -), uniforms, DISRESPECTFUL general manager
Sweet spot
OPERATIONS AND PEOPLE SUPPORT LEADER (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 3, 2016
Great product and great employees. Growing company with some kinks to work out but overall it is a wonderful place to work.
Great Leadership
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 19, 2016
Wonderful company, wonderful values. Nothing more enjoyable then being able to taste a wonderful product and sell it to guest.
A day at SusieCakes
Guest Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 6, 2015
SusieCakes is a great place to build connections with the guest you see everyday. You learn so many things from how to open and close a store on your own to what a guest may be celebrating. The management has been the best that i have worked with by far. They are always open and honest with you and keep you informed of any and everything that may be going on. Your co-workers range but they are all wonderful people to work with. You spend so much time together with them at work that it is hard not to have an outside of work relationship with them!
Poor management
Baker (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 24, 2014
Job duties matched job description. It was a typical job with normal bakery hours and schedule. The company had everything planned out so each employee had their own tasks. Unfortunately, management and supervisors were employee biased and slacking. This lead to a stressful work environment and a lack of team work.
Pros
Steady work
Cons
No breaks besides 30 min. lunch. Little room for growth.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SusieCakes. Our community is ready to answer.