SusieCakes

SusieCakes Employee Reviews

Inexperienced Management, Lack of hours
I was very excited when I first started working here. The benefits seemed nice and they were willing to work with my school availability. However, apparently that meant only getting scheduled 1 day a week. Which also meant that I never got proper training for anything, and then when I did get more hours I'd be scolded for not doing well. But I was never trained, and with inexperienced management I was never going to be. Not worth the stress of being yelled at all day.
Run...As fast as you can!
The work environment here is so toxic. There’s at least one person in the back crying because they’re so overwhelmed. Management here is a joke, the higher ups could care less about the employees and only care about how much money can be made. The “leads” they have in charge are laughable. They do the bare minimum and it all falls on the the GS team. Do yourself a favor and do not apply.
Dont apply, unless you are in need of a quick job
Micromanaging
Gossip

Management tells everyones business

Yelling involved in front of everyone

Favoritism

Paycheck bounces

Schedule is up and down

No confidential when speaking to management

Looking to get a lawyer

Place sucks
Here you are a drone, forget creativity
I was a head baker for 6 months. Was hired with promises and goals that I could achieve. From day one it was painful. There is no room for creativity. There is room for growth because there are so many levels of titles. Everyone has a different title and think they are over the next person. There are so many rules that MUST be followed and everything is so spelled out for you that you can be asleep and still do what you have to do. I have over 30 years of professional pastry experience at a high level. I was looking for a place that I could pass on to the next generation. This is what I was promised in my interviews. I was never allowed but when I snuck in a nugget or two the others were amazed but said that’s not our way and there can never be any changes. Employees were scared to change anything. I wanted this to work but it was too strict. I did lose 30 pounds in those 6 months because you had 30 minutes to take a break and there was no time to eat. I wish the company luck but I’m not a drone.
Pros
Fun co workers
Cons
Just about everything else
I cannot and would never recommend.
So before you are hired they sell you a LOAD of baked "goods" and call it AMAZING. This is a company that prides itself of being " female owned and driven" and what it IS is cut throat, catty and FULL of excuses and lies. Absolutely one of the WORST managed and put together organizations I've ever been around. Management does not oversee training or is encouraging in ANY way. The staff are so rude to one another it almost becomes a fight club type of environment!! I was straight up lied to by both my hiring manager and recruiter!!!! WOW!

Do yourself a favor and just stay away. There turnover rate is almost 90% and customer complaints are a daily, almost hourly occurrence. The decor outside and inside is dated and tacky and do not get me started on how BAD this food really is!! Claims to be " fresh and made from scratch" NOPE! I am so glad I left and did NOT give notice, they did not deserve my time, hard work or energy. Bye Bye " Susie!"
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
No work life balance
My time with Susiecakes was bittersweet, while my management at the store was amazing, working with the Owner and her team in corporate was horrible, they spoke poorly about people, backstabbing, and manipulative. The owner can get very emotional and angry and she is not afraid to show it.
Na
The work place was enjoyable, coworkers and managers were all very nice and respectful. We only got 30 min lunches so your break was always rushed and not really a break.
Cons
30 min lunches
From Dream Job to Nightmare
This company is a mess right now.
Turnover rates are high, which in turn means the needs of management are higher to cover for newer employees.

The company aims to prioritize people that enter the bakeries at the expense of the people that actually work there.

Certain people in upper management are so set in their ways and will push back against any suggestions before even considering them.

There is no sense of direction and the company continues to try to expand, despite losing more employees than it can retain for its newer locations.

The pay is never high enough to allow most employees to live nearby the locations.

Hours are supposed to be coordinated with GMs and employees, and yet there are still days where people are scheduled on off days or have hours cut with little to no explanation.

This was a job where I came in excited to talk about dessert all day and get paid for it. It turned into a job with a toxic atmosphere, incompetence in upper management, inconsistent work hours, and overall negative experience.

If you're in school or are looking for an entry-level job to make some money, go for it. But if you have a sense of self-worth, avoid this company until changes are made.
Pros
Discounts on Product
Cons
Toxic Work Environment, Micromanagement, Lack of Motivation
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at SusieCakes?
Love the sweet treats but not a very employee friendly environment
Not a very employee friendly environment. Constant constant turn over in staff in both the front and back of the house. Never fully staffed which means the rest of the staff is expected to do more. Hours are not very friendly if you have a life, family or friends. Open until 8pm which means you’re there til 9 if you’re in the front of the house and this is even on a Saturday night. What bakery is open until 8pm? You constantly get the feeling its sooo about the all mighty dollar.
Rarely do you ever receive recognition for doing a good job it’s almost always when they think you’ve done something wrong. Really... what happened to pumping up your staff? Double standards.

Management is a joke. Shouldn’t it be set an example for the rest...NOT.

If you want to work your butt off for little compensation and recognition then this is the job for you.

Oh ya and upon reading other reviews this isn’t just in this one location it’s ALLLLL over other stores.
Pros
Hmmmm free treats and closed on Sundays which I understand won’t be for long
Cons
NEVER fully staffed, wages, no vacation, poor management, hours.
A corporation with favorites
This company had strict dress code and attire requirements for employees. No tattoos showing, muted make up. No jewelry. However, they pretend the company culture is about supporting your individuality and being unique, yet unless you looked like a 1950s housewife you weren't going to go far. Turn over is high. You work all the major holidays, no exceptions, unless you are one of the favorites. HR oversteps ALOT and reprimands employees for being late, instead of going through the general managers, who already addressed the issues with employees. You can fill yourself with left over cupcakes every night, pretty much the only positive.
Pros
Cupcakes, good for first job
Cons
work/life balance and pay are a joke
One of the best jobs ever
Depending on management the environment can be stressful. (Good management positive environment, Bad Management negative environment). Overall the work place was fantastic especially once the poor management left. Everyone was a very close knit crew and always helping each other.
Pros
Hours are wonderful
Cons
Now open Sundays and make it hard to go to Church
It's sad what is happening to the company......
I was lead to believe that SusieCakes was the “it” job for me. Management fed me sweet nothings and promised advancement. It all started out wonderfully! I was so happy to be working somewhere that I loved!...(OR so i thought).

The turnaround started to increase as the full-time staff (including me) were all becoming BURNT OUT. We gave and gave and gave until nothing was left. We never got mentions on great jobs well done — only on our mistakes.

The team was all so new to changes with SusieCakes. Working with all territorial females, it was a constant game of ‘nu uh! I know the right answer!’ Instead of working as a team. At the end of the day, too many people (who had been there 2+ years) were invested into SusieCakes with TOO many personal issues and emotions.

...it became toxic.

Higher management had zero communication. We lost market managers, store managers, AGMS and others like no tomorrow. It became an obvious malfunctioning bakery.

There’s TOO MUCH EXPECTED..never enough encouragement. There's always a new rule after you JUST learned all the others. I’m so sad to say this: but SusieCakes will NEVER conquer the “turnover” rates without doing some SEVERE remodeling with hierarchy staff.

At the end of the day—it’s the dollar that matters here. Don’t expect anything in return. Toxicity is finished and I feel RELIEVED!
Pros
Free sweets, cash tips
Cons
Expectations, emotions, gossip, drama, no support!
An outdated place that focus on makeing you work uneccesarry hard instead of work smart! Sad!
Poor and very micro managed to the bone. Products are just huge, but so so quality. Everything is so sweet and sugary it makes me want to throw up. We are not given proper tools to do our jobs, and the uniform is uncomfortable. Everything you do is wrong even though you were told to do it that way. Good luck if you think it's a fun place to work. You'll be lucky if you don't end up with broken wrists!
Pros
No pros really. Quality of baked goods aren't even that good.
Cons
Poor benefits. "Cold" place to work ( both temperature and co-workers faces), bad uniforms, bad quality of products, micromanage 247.
I wouldn't recommend
They overwork you with little pay. The manager was always rude and made the work environment very uncomfortable to work in. They didn't know how to approach and talk to employees, if something went wrong, they resorted to yelling at me in front of customers.
Poor Management
Really cutthroat with upper management and other coworkers in general. Everything winds up being your fault even when it isn't. Absolutely no home/work life balance. I got fired for calling out sick, which is ridiculous.
Not what it use to be
It has become corporate. Just like all the rest. No work life balance for managers. Needs of the business come before the team members. Long work hours and weeks.
We care about each other
From day one, everyone I've met has been kind and empathetic. People here come from working late nights in restaurant and hotel, and are able to have some hours and holidays again. It's fast paced and the expectations are high, but everyone works hard to to accomplish goals together. I even went through some personal stuff and my team supported me through it. There's room for advancement as the company grows and opens new bakeries, so I'm excited for my career here.
Pros
discounts on baked goods, good people
nice place to work
I loved the experience working with Susiecakes.

I would have like it more if they had more variety of menu and opportunities with their job catagories.

also their expectations vs job description are very strict and there's really no wavering. which made for a lot of turnover and increased work hours from a managers status.

compensation vs. overall responsibility doesn't match up.

but their cakes and cupcakes are really good and I did enjoy what they were trying to do as a company model.
Pros
goodies and treats
Cons
no coffee, and harsh hours
Fast paced and professional while upholding an atmosphere of fun.
SusieCakes is the bakery to work at if you love production. As every item should look perfect, you also need to move quickly. The overall experience is of working with managers who truly care about their output, and employees who are well acquainted with the work flow.
Too much work, not enough people
The only way to even come close to completing all of the tasks that were assigned to me was to work through my breaks, and often that still wasn't enough. I went home every day both physically and mentally exhausted and had no energy to do anything else. Management was very nice and tried to offer support, but there's only so much one person can do.
Great guests and co workers with poor engagement
I always closed so got very good at my job loved helping guests and learning from my more experienced co workers. The job offered little to no room for growth regardless of how many times I asked. Learned as much as I could from co workers since management did not take the time to teach me when I was willing.