Sutter Health Employee Reviews

Found 1,199 reviews matching the search See all 1,201 reviews
Good place to work with lot of opportunity
Case Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 12, 2018
Sutter prides itself on the work culture and keeping the employees happy. As such, the benefits provided by the company cannot be matched with any other company in that I am aware of. Since it is a non-profit organization, employees are regularly encouraged to participate in philanthropic efforts hosted by the company.
Pros
Many job opportunities within the organization; job training and benefits were superb.
Cons
Team I worked for was small; no chance of advancement.
Positive work environment
Registered Nurse, Emergency Department (Former Employee) –  Davis, CASeptember 21, 2018
A typical day was somewhat fast-paced and demanding (depending on the time of day and census). I learned a great deal as a new graduate nurse, and Sutter paid for me to obtain a great deal of additional outside education to help ensure my success. Internally, I had some very supportive coworkers but a few that were not. Management was good and open to questions and comments; provided a positive workplace. Workplace culture was mostly a supportive team of individuals working toward the same goal: care of the ill or injured patients. Hardest part of the job for me was gaining additional confidence in my skills and abilities. Most enjoyable was my fellow coworkers and interactions with them, along with positive interactions with patients.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Direct mentor was not supportive
Bad Job Culture
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAAugust 1, 2018
There is an open office so that there are no real cubicles. In a health care setting this is bad because of the delicate information being talked about. That being said, it can be very difficult to have a conversation on the phone because you can hear the people around you. There is no real work life balance. Most positions could be remote but there a lot of older people in management that don't understand how much better of a culture it would be, how much happier their employees would be, and how much money it would save the company overall. Being located in Roseville also creates a bad drive situation for most employees having a long commute.The company also boasts change and willingness to adapt but most of the management has been there for many many years and really don't want to change or adapt. Also, for being a health care organization the owns the care facilities and benefits plan they have horrible benefits.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Benefits, commute, culture, work life balance
If you find the right team, it is great!
Compliance Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 5, 2018
Management and leadership make all the difference. If you get stuck with a bad manager, your life will not be great. If you work under bad leadership (C-suites), your life will not be great. Management overlooks and participates in bullying. Leadership does not set the example, they are hypocrites. If you are blessed to have a great manager, then life will be great! Don't leave that position.
Pros
Great Pay, Benefits, and ability to work remotely.
Cons
The higher you go, the more politics come into play and the less successful anyone with integrity will be.
was never treated so horribly in my life
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mountain View, CASeptember 25, 2018
I worked at PAMF a few years ago, was on the float team. Which means you are always moving to different departments day by day, (They never take this into consideration) and if you are new to a Department and ask too many questions your manager will hear about it. There was never any accountability For the other employees who were stationed in their Departments, and your managers never take your side or even see the big picture. It's very clicky, unless you know somebody most likely you're not going to make it here. My manager let go a practically half the float team while I was there, and I later found out she brought in several of her relatives.
Pros
Good benefits, overall good perks
Cons
No breaks, backstabbers, favoritism, competitive, Liars
Sutter Health
Applications Analyst II (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 31, 2018
Pretty good place to work though the IT side of things seem to be going overseas. Epic certification is not a guarantee for all analysts and this creates some animosity. Doing more work here doesn't necessarily get you promoted. However, if there's a high need for workers, you may get a raise and title increase if you are in high demand.
Pros
Free lunches, Sutter will sponsor team building events.
Cons
Work is going overseas, The structure for IT analysts can create animosity amongst each other if certification is involved.
Good place to work but poor management
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Burlingame, CAOctober 3, 2018
Working in the security department was great. I like the people I have worked with. Everyday is a different because Sutter Health MPMC has a Psych Emergency Department, which is very unpredictable. Overall, great staff and medical benefits.

But unfortunately, management only cares about costs. Management is willing to cut the security department to the point it sacrificed officer safety. Dealing with psych patients can be dangerous and unpredictable. Officers were hurt because he/she did not have back-up officers.

So that was the reason why I left Sutter Health MPMC. Management doesn't allow our manager to hire additional personnel.
Pros
Medical benefits
Cons
Poor management, 403b is a joke
Okay workplace
Operator (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAOctober 24, 2018
They have amazing healthcare options and okay pay this company is more like a place to get started off with experience. Unfortunately some workers slack off and everyone else has to pick up the slack. You can complain about a worker 100x and nothing will get done. If there are any issues in the department you have to go above your manager into HR for something to get done. They have a lot of pros too they give a ton of PTO a year and protected sick days. It is very easy to transfer departments and the pay is decent.
Pros
decent pay, easy work, great benefits, 401K options, A ton of PTO
Cons
other places pay more, pick up everyone elses slack, low raises
Hardworking staff with good mid-level management
QA Analyst III - QA/Testing Methodology (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAOctober 16, 2018
Mid- level management and peers were great. Upper level management often had no clue of the impact their decisions made on day-to-day activities. Sutter pays well and has good benefits. Staff rely on each other for support and training on new processes/projects.
Pros
Yearly company picnic, friendly work culture
Per diem for far too long
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 29, 2019
I initially loved Sutter. The people were so much more friendly then my previous employer. I have been per diem for the past year & a half. I do not receive benefits due to the fact I missed it by 1 hour per week. I have very limited paid time off & I recently went from working 32-40 hours per week to working 8-12 hours per week. Very unhappy overall with my current status
Pros
Friendly people, small & personal, patients are treated with respect & consideration
Cons
No benefits, no set hours poor management
Organized and well structured business
Account Representative II (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 7, 2019
Great place to
Work

Flexible
Scheduling

Awesome benefits

Career Advancement encouraged

Poor management in some departments

HR unhelpful

High energy atmosphere
Pros
Flexible schedules
Cons
Short breaks
Poor culture
Nurse Educator (Current Employee) –  Mountain View, CAAugust 28, 2018
The benefits are great but the culture needs to change. There have been many times that I suggested changes to the curriculum, program, etc., but my manager would not budge and would give me reasons such as other staff members will not be receptive of the change, or that I should not apply a ton of what I am learning in school because people might see me as someone who's a "know it all" - sad for an environment that's supposed to run on evidence-based practice for the sake of delivering safe and quality patient care! Most people also love to know what's going on in people's personal lives and would think that something is "off" if one is not chatty or simply trying to keep to himself to delineate work/personal life. If not for the amazing benefits, I would not choose to work here or recommend this place to others.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
More focused on Administration than practical patient care
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAOctober 11, 2018
will never work there again. administration/management is terrible and care more about impractical policies than patients or employees who actually work in the clinic
Pros
decent pay and benefits
Cons
patient care not a priority and bad work/life balance
Good Team, Difficult Management
Director (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CAJune 22, 2018
Local divisions are super, but the corporate management needs work - i.e. keeping uninformed managers, keeping in touch with local staff who reports to them. This made it hard to get staffing, communicate and work to unrealistic objectives.

Working in the local environment was fun, rewarding and really contributed to my skill development. I was appreciative of the local operations and support. I found great work/life balance here and was appreciative of the local management supporting this.
Pros
Good work/life balance, great local team, good benefits
Cons
Corporate management out of touch with local direct reports
Good environment
Lead Patient Access Rep - Admitting (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAFebruary 1, 2019
Values and grows employee skills competitive compensation and benefits. Good leadership promoting from within and is a professional work environment.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Hours ling
room for growth
Insurance Verification Representative (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAOctober 3, 2018
typical day at work was amazing I got to interact with many people
and community, patients
what I learned is I can grow with this company, working a contract position I had opportunity to work in different departments
management was great had great communication and understanding
workplace culture was very diverse easy going
The hardest part of the job is getting a long term position and actually becoming an permanent employee
Cons
perment employement
Patient Service Rep II
Patient Service Rep II (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CASeptember 12, 2018
Excellent.
Palo Alto Medical was my first office/hospital job that seasoned me for my current career. I only left due to a death in my family in which I was needed out of the state. However the management, the atmosphere, the patients and doctors are all superb and the opportunities are endless with the education and career advancement opportunities
Pros
Awards, Recognition, Discount Program and Paid Holidays
Cons
Short (scutinized) Breaks, no room for interacting or actually getting to know the patients you serve
great company
VOLUNTEER SERVICES (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CADecember 28, 2018
great place to work it is collaborative, community place and has competitive salaries compared to other companies near by. This is a good company with great benefits to work.
Sinking Ship
MEDICAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  SacramentoSeptember 20, 2018
This used to be a great company to work for. It has gotten progressively worse over the last several years. Their focus is on earning for the ceo and not on providing the best care cor the patients. I found alot of nepotism, as well as retaliation if you dared to give the honest opinion they repeatedly asked for. Every year something else is taken feom the employees. Started with cost of living raises for a few years and worsened to taking away many benifits of our insurance coverage. There is no advancement available for medical assistants besides the very limited lead positions which are given to the friends of current management. I was promised such a position for more than a year before I was finally told the position they had promised me did not exist. Despite the many extra responsibilities I took on and perfect reviews I recieved my pay was only increased by $4 in 8 years. Sutter shoukd be ashamed of how they compinsated ndd treat their medical assiatants as the office could not run without them and the high level of responsibility the job entails. I was fired after 8 years with no warning and then they disputed my unemployment. I highly recommend looking elsewhere. Their retirment plan is also a sick joke.
Pros
Tuition reimbursment
Cons
Poor managment, little to no chance of advancement, poor compinsation compared to other large healthcare organizations. Patient care not a priority
Difficult Culture
Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 19, 2019
It was not a good place for me, they pay well and offer amazing benefits so people stay there but the culture is oppressive. People often said they felt their conversations and emails were monitored, I have no idea if that's true but that's was the feeling.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sutter Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.9Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight