Sutter Health

Sutter Health insights

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

It was a great place to work during my time there but the upper management had lost touch with the caring and compassion side

Laid off due to closure unfortunately. Short sightedness on their part unfortunately. It became all about the revenue and not the care that was provided by excellent staff.

Toxic Physicians everywhere.

Everyone is burnt out and all the negative energy trickles downhill. Surgeons yell and scream at staff. They have been reported several times and management does nothing about it.They keep reducing the amount of staff we have, but numbers show that our department is over performing. Management hides yearly review scores from staff. I've witnessed them tampering with slides to skip reviews of poor management.Pays really well, but that's for a reason, it's so you continue to work in a toxic environment.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Toxic

I love working there

Good management, Workflow is good, however work is determined by seniority. If the count is too low you can get cancelled, or if you are per diem you could be struggling to get shifts. People are super friendly and helpful

Burnt out

Sutter has let many people who are needed go and now everything falls on everyone else. And we are super short staffed and things are not getting better just worse.

Pros

Health benefits

Cons

Burnt out, short staffed

Awesome and easy going

My time here was short (4 months) but overall I loved it. It wasn’t always easy but that’s just how it is in the medical field. Management was great and very supportive. It was easy to learn their system and what is required of me. They cut me due to being newer in ICT but offered another position instead of just letting me go which I thought was great of them. This is a work place that understands you have a personal life and cares about you. Always set me up for success. Pay was good.

Pros

Work like balance, great management

Cons

Job cuts

Do you enjoy working at your company?

Help people considering your employer make a good choice.

Great place to work amazing benefits

Great organizing, good benefits and management assistance when required , supervisor help you to achieve your goals and move up on position. Amazing doctors.

Cons

Would be a great place to work if the manager was better

Staff was great but management sucked at the agency. Did not support staff and had high turnover rate. Department manger created an inhospitable work environment.

Pros

Pay, shift schedule good, general staff was great

Cons

Great place to learn on the job!

I was precepted to the telemetry/med-surg unit; and, after several months was precepted to the pre/post organ transplant unit. Learned a lot. I appreciated the opportunity!

Pros

Training, variety of patients

Cons

NOC shift was only 8 hours, not 10 or 12 hours.

Over all thoughts of Job experience

Sutter does not care about their employees, you are over worked, under paid and not appreciated. No consistency or direction in where the organization is heading. Administration and Management are not on the same page and the work force is not aware of what is required of them. Advancement is promised but never fulfilled even when requirements are met. The worst organization to work for

Pros

Cons

Over worked, under paid, not appreciated and no support for administration or management

Union environment makes leading in this organization challenging. Expectations of upper leadership are unrealistic. More is asked of clinical staff instead of involving those who work 8 hr days Mon- friday

My direct managers were marvelous. The overall company management was not inclusive or encouraging for me.

I loved doing my day-to-day job. Working with my director manger(s) was kind, encouraging and informative. The teams I supported were great and we developed excellent and supportive relationships. My work was recognized, valued and suppoted by my reviews and salary increases.I did not feel supported or valued by the leadership. The "culture" of the company was not felt at my level or position.

Pros

Wonderful teams with whom I worked.

Cons

Leadership recognition and support.

Great benefits

Busy work place. I would work there again. They are now corporate, so you lose perks like huge bonuses and company parties. Huge turn overrate with management. Most employees once trained leave for Stanford.

Pros

A lot

Cons

Locations...commute

Playing Favorites

Management hires friends and forces other people out to give friends jobs. They harass people who have been out for FMLA covered reasons and threaten their job.

Cons

Solid company with work life balance

Sutter not only has amazing health benefits, but they make you feel appreciated as an employee. Though certain Sutter facilities have clique-type groups of staff, Sutter has a no-gossip policy and encourages employees to respect and appreciate each other as team mates. There are often catered employee appreciation lunches, and resources available that promote personal wellness and professional education and growth.

Pros

Great pay, benefits, professional management

great place to work

I always felt valued and respected at this job. They were engaged and encouraging when it came to employee education and growth. They were also very flexible with me when life situations came up and I needed to made adjustments in my schedule.

Pros

collaborative, respectful

Cons

large organization

Greedy corporation

I've been with this company for over five years. When I first started, things were great. We were well staffed, well paid, got raises that actually covered costs of living, and allowed days off to mentally and physically recharge from the stress of working with sick and dying patients. Over the past few years, however, this company has shifted from putting patients first to purely profit-focused, which seems odd for a "non-profit" organization. During this pandemic, specifically, they have made hundreds of millions of dollars more than usual, yet staffing and supplies have constantly been running short. They have said they are "overbudget", which makes sense since they have constantly been renovating the current buildings as well as making new ones. While other companies have financially compensated their essential employees for risking their lives to work through a pandemic, healthcare workers have been lucky to have N95 masks they had to reuse "only" five times and an occasional candy bar. We have not received any sort of hazard pay and are only being offered incentive pay for additional hours worked.

Pros

Amazing coworkers, plenty of available hours, great health insurance

Cons

Greedy company, overpaid CEO, lack of support

Ability to work at home

Great team work, hired too many for Salt Lake City, supervisions nice, and supportive, just can’t get time off when needed. Overall the company and supervisors tried to be transparent about having to cut MA jobs, and offered different positions in order to keep a job at Sutter.

Pros

Work at home

Cons

Can’t get PTO when you need it. They cut out Medical Assistant position in Salt lake.

Financial clearance team member

It was a good learning experience while I was there. This was during covid so there was a hiring freeze and as a contractor, that really sucked. Working here was overall a good experience.

Pros

Remote work.

Cons

Contractors are excluded, at least on my team.

Longtime employer

Worked there 25 years until electric charting change my work and didn’t have a plan for the secretary that’s when I left the company because no longer felt part of a team

Pros

Cons

Lay out of new hospital

Unappreciated

Worked very hard here they don’t appreciate their staff. Lots of turn-over no part time positions with benefits offered not good. Poor quality manager in the mother baby department, staff don’t care for her and I can see why. Rest breaks rarely available and staff aren’t supportive.Don’t bother wasting your time here….

Benefits

Cons

No rest breaks, unsupportive management and staff

Overall good company to work for. Friendly staffing and environment. Work hours could be flexible and adjusted. Gained useful experience working here has a new graduate.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sutter Health. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 10%
In the Top 10% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Sutter Health.
Powered byComparably