Sutton Transport Employee Reviews

They say they have health insurance but, but it' 250.00 dollars per month with a 10,000.00 deductible. 401k is a joke, they only match you at .025%
LTL Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Lyons, ILApril 28, 2019
DO NOT WORK FOR SUTTON THEY WILL FIRE YOU FOR A 200 DOLLAR ACCIDENT. AND IF YOU HAVE VACATION DAYS THEY WILL STEAL THEM. THEY KEPT MY VACATION DAYS . 5 PERSONAL DAYS BUT UNPAID. WHAT A JOKE. .25% 40K CONTRIBUTION. Dispatch is stupid, they forget to send you your pick ups but you have to pick them up any ways thats why yoy finish at 8 or 9 pm. Your deliveries will be all over some times 50 miles a part. If you want a hat is for sale 7.00 if you want a shirt 32.00 you have to buy you uniform. They grab freight from the worst companies, freight nobody wants.
Pros
It will be short, nobody stays.
Cons
Everything, nothing is good at Sutton just sacrifice for a paychex
Its what you make of it.
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WI 53221February 28, 2019
It is what you make of it. Regular start time is great. Ten and one half to twelve hours every day. Pay is all right. Management are good people. Equipment is average.
Pros
Start time
Cons
long days
Decent Company- Small Town atmosphere
Driver (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJanuary 31, 2019
Decent company to work for and have the small town atmosphere. Pay is comparable to other jobs in the area as they raised most of the starting wages in 2018/2019 but drivers that have tenure are well above pay average. No pay caps and yearly increases as well which is nice. Benefits are ok. If you are only looking to cover yourself then the benefits are pretty decent especially with the new plan in 2019. However, it is really expensive to cover full family. I am glad my spouse was able to cover our kids. Some dispatchers will work with your schedule depending on which location you work out of, however any time off is unpaid until 1 year into the role. The same start times are nice and some managers will work with that time if needed. End time varies but you get a good idea of what you need once you run your route for awhile. You do NOT have to work weekends and I like that, some previous companies have made me work weekends.
Pros
Decent pay, Same Start Times, Smiliar Routes, Work-Life balance, off weekends
Cons
Family Benefits
could not trust anyone
Driver (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJanuary 21, 2019
The manger that I had was a good guy but he did not want confrontation. He would cover his owe butt not the employees. The reason I left was know one cared about safety and the insurance really sucked.
Great Place for LTL Drivers
Driver (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJanuary 18, 2019
I've been an LTL driver for just over 4 years. The company has grown each year I have worked here so the the hours are available if you want them, Sutton has great newer equipment too. Just added a new low deductible health plan this year which will help me alot. If you want long term consistent hours and pay come work here.

Sutton is the best LTL company I've worked for so far in this area. The manager is fair and keeps me busy. That's what I like! It is hard work and the days can be long but hey, this is LTL transportation.
Pros
Hours, co-workers, equipment, pay
Cons
Days can get long, very physical work at times.
The terminal manager is great the benefits are atrocious the ownership is uncaring seems lack compassion. The pay is near the bottom in our area.
Driver (Former Employee) –  WisconsinDecember 22, 2018
The pay needs to increase immediately. It's a revolving door. Ownership doesn't care in the least about employees... the benefits are horrific to say the least
Pros
The people I worked with were great
Cons
Stressful in that you're running and running to make pick ups, Did I mention the Sutton Family doesn't value the sacrifices of good hardworking employees, The healthcare is extremely costly and doesn't cover much
Avoid this place
P&D Driver (Former Employee) –  WisconsinDecember 11, 2018
Sutton isn't honest about work or pay. A majority of the work is hands on and overweight for lift gate. They say no touch but then you end up touching everything. Especially the twin med stops. Completely unsafe. They say they want you to be safe but they really don't care. The pay isn't accurate they tell you one thing and then its completely something else. Avoid this place unless you don't mind working long hours in unsafe situations for low pay.
Pros
Newer trucks
Cons
Healthcare, low pay, not safe at all.
Would not recommend
Office (Current Employee) –  Weston, WIJune 10, 2018
No job training provided. Have to wait a full year for paid PTO. Not flexible on your schedule. Not team environment. It is nice to be paid weekly not biweekly.
Great company to work
P&D Driver (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 30, 2018
Health care is the only flaw with company.. Health care is horrible ..................pay is fair, hours are typical trucking hours 10-12 a day. Did i mention the health care is not good..great equipment to use.. Great place to work
Pros
Pay, equipment, management
Cons
Health care insurance
Great Company
P&D Driver (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIApril 20, 2018
I have been with Sutton for 7 years, I have seen this company change so much for the better. Every company has problems, but the one thing that I can say about the Suttons, they listen and try to make changes to make things better. The company has great equipment. I have seen other companies driving trucks that should have been retired long ago.
Pros
Great Equipment, Great Pay!
Cons
Sometimes stressful
Steer clear drivers
Driver (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 13, 2018
This is a company that wants a revolving door. They think understaffing improves profits and as long as no employee stays for the long term they won’t have to fork out more money than starting hourly wage, match 401k’s, have an attainable safety bonus program for the good drivers or anything else that has affect on their bottom line.

Tractors and trailers are very poorly maintained. You have an assigned tractor but you can’t leave anything in it. Sutton doesn’t actually own any straps or load bars for securing freight, they simply borrow them from other company’s and forget to return them. The terminal office, warehouse and drivers are almost always understaffed. New trucks seem to get assigned to new drivers simply to aggravate the guys that have been around a while.

I heard through the grapevine that they have recently implemented a no smoking policy in all company vehicles.
Pros
Money’s always in the bank on Friday
Cons
Most everything else.
Cut throat owners
LTL Driver (Former Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIApril 2, 2018
They are all about the all mighty dollar. Have an accident and they terminate you unless you are in their inner circle.working hard, showing up every day on time,never calling in sick, no DOT violations, never damaging freight, going the extra mile, no customer complaints means nothing to Sutton Transport.
Official response from Sutton Transport
April 17, 2018

Sutton Transport values its employees and will recognize those for a job well done. Conversely, we take employee driving accidents very seriously. Our policy limits the number and severity of accidents allowed for continued employment. Should any driver violate these policies and expectations, termination of employment is the result.

Good foot in the door to LTL
Driver (Former Employee) –  WisconsinMarch 12, 2018
The job is alright, the schedule is alright, dispatchers are down to earth and laid back but there’s a lot of things that happen at this place that just don’t make any sense. Trailers and trucks receive no maintenence aside from oil changes and yearly inspections, everything is bone dry, tires don’t get replaced until they are bald or blow. Write something up and it takes weeks to get fixed, constantly driving with equipment that will not pass inspection.

Everyday something in your trailer is improperly secured or completely out of order, Constantly dealing with damaged freight for 3rd party garbage deliveries and pickups to residents. Sutton has a knack for grabbing the low hanging fruit and that’s all they ever seem to put in their basket.

Pay is okay... they advertise $65k a year but that is entirely untrue... 55k is more like it. they don’t pay overtime until after 45 hours. There are not any safety bonuses. HR doesn’t go over any of you paperwork or make sure you fill it out right or what needs to be filled out. they just hand u a packet when your hired. Go through it with diligence because they don’t check for errors before submitting it either... I’m not sure they actually do anything.

Overall it’s good for a little while... definetly not gonna be your last stop.
Pros
M-f, home every night, no weekends
Cons
Maintenence, pay, headaches.
Chase that Nickle & Dime freight
P & D Driver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2017
Let's start with the "Rotation Day" . Every other week you have to take a day during the week off. You work 13 hours Monday, 12 hours Tuesday, 14 hours Wednesday, then find out you have to take Thursday off. Bye bye overtime.
After 12 hours they're still sending you pickups. One day we worked in 18 degree below 0 temperatures. No other common carriers were out that day . "We're from Green Bay, this is balmy "... STROKES
Pros
The checks didn't bounce!
Cons
Everything else
For LTL, it's pretty good.
Driver (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJune 9, 2017
Compared to many other LTL carriers, I feel like I got it pretty good with Sutton. The pay is good enough, $19 an hour with overtime after 45, and off on weekends. I'm home every night and know that I have a set start time each day at 7.

I love the stability, something not commonly found in the industry. Sure the work can get rough, but each day is anew with new challenges. Overall, I'm pretty happy here.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
Occasional late days
Not a bad place to work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Hartford, WIApril 5, 2017
It is a job that is it. No one seems to care. The money is less then almost anywhere else. There is little to no over time. Just come to work get your job done.
Little supervision, guidance
Inside Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Weston, WISeptember 4, 2015
supervisor/manager was never available. Very much hands off. Offered little direction and/or assistance. Feedback was often aggressive and non constructive.
Pros
M-f, no OT, weekly pay, weekly uncapped bonus potential
Cons
lack of direction from management, lack of tools to function properly
Alright place
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 27, 2015
It's a job with a paycheck. Moral was ok. Some of management was smart, others not even close. Owners are ok. Pay wasn't greatest. High turnover rate.
Good people
Local LTL Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIMarch 17, 2014
Good people to work with, good routes long days sometimes though. Overall happy working there.
Helpful and friendly employees
LTL Driver (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 19, 2013
Nice and helpful people to work with. They helped me learn quickly.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sutton Transport. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8