SVS VISION Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work!
Corporate Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Mount Clemens, MIMay 11, 2018
I started out as a retail receptionist in an office, and have worked my way up to a corporate position. There is plenty of room for growth within the company, and the management is really willing to go above and beyond to help you set a career pathway. Benefits are amazing, including sick/personal and vacation days. I love the people I get to interact with on a daily basis, and would recommend this company to anyone who is serious about their career and has the determination to make it happen!
Pros
Great coworkers, Benefits, Growth within the company
Its a productive company. Constantly growing.
Optician (Former Employee) –  Garden City, MIApril 30, 2018
Great company to work for has a good pay and pays well for commission. Hours are great and flexible. However, if you're low on seniority then it's tough to work. You get transferred to different stores all the time and it's hard to switch days with employees if you have low seniority. Other than having low senority it truly is a great company to work for.
Fast paced, fun, friendly..
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  MichiganApril 18, 2018
Highly recommend for job seekers. Sure it gets stressful but the workers and management are friendly and caring. I would never feel afraid to speak to management if I had an issue . They also pay overtime, sick days, holiday, and offer great benefits .
Pros
Free glasses every year
Cons
It can get stressful and is very fast paced
Nice Company, Catty Coworkers
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mount Clemens, MIMarch 28, 2018
The work was steady and there were always extra projects to work on. Some training was provided, but not a lot. Wind up carrying the slack for others who cant pull their weight. Manager was awesome, and the upper management was great, but the corporate office is mostly female, and the cattiness here is off the charts. One person in particular has been there forever, doing the minimum, rules dont apply to them, and no one bats an eye. Cliquish and catty for sure. On the plus side, you can sit in your cubicle, and listen to headphones when you're not on the phone, so thats nice. Definitely negotiate your salary here! They will tell you your not allowed to let any of your coworkers know what you make. Thats because it's so lopsided. I was training a person with less experience, who was making $4 per hour more than me. Go figure.
Pros
Small, growing company
Cons
Catty employees, unorganized
Unfair and poor management
Optician (Former Employee) –  Saint Louis County, MOFebruary 1, 2018
I loved what I did as an optician but management Is terrible, and you can't report it because they are all friends. But you get paid every week and you get commission once a month which is nice!
Pros
weekly checks, glasses yearly for self and family( spouse and kids)
Cons
Poor management
Apprentice Optician (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 29, 2018
when we where slow with out a doctor we prepared for the next doctor day on getting insurance and eligibility, i learned on how to get insurance eligibility, it needs to be up dated in the store, the hardest part was when a patient yells at you when the rx is not right. the most enjoyable part of the day is when i see a smile on a patients face.
Pros
new glass every year.
Cons
we got an hour lunch
Great work environment, Even better co-workers
Recruiting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mount Clemens, MINovember 29, 2017
SVS Vision is a great company to work for and has some of the most caring employees who are willing to go above and beyond for our patients as well as our fellow co-workers. Our positive values help sustain that commitment to excellence and has helped us become one of Michigan's leading optical providers.
Pros
Corporate culture, Vision benefits, & Opportunity for growth
Cons
It's a shame we're not in more states!
Many pros and cons
Dispensing Optician (Former Employee) –  Wixom, MINovember 26, 2017
The company is very fair when it comes to pay and benefits. Depending on the management, work environments vary from fun, and genuinely enjoyable, to cutthroat, and simply unfair and miserable.
Pros
Fair pay, and good benefits
Cons
Poor managment, and morally unfair to patients
Great workplace!
Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mt. Clemens, MINovember 3, 2017
Current employee at the corporate location. SVS Vision is workplace filled lots of creative and driven people. There is lots of support from your team members and always new, exciting projects to work on. AMAZING benefits (the best I've ever had).
Pros
Fun holiday events, great benefits, coworkers
Cons
None so far
Union culture of seniority over performance
Optician (Former Employee) –  Mt ClementsOctober 19, 2017
Very catty, you come in with no secret about bottom of the barrel treatment. You pay full union dues, and get the worst schedules and forced travel using your own vehicle. Union culture does not acknowledge top Performers, it caters to those working the longest there. The unions protect bad behavior. Not a good job.
Pros
Its a job, not a great job, but a low pay, high stress situation
Cons
High level performer?Don't bother, very catty women, who rip everyone behind their back. Even the customers who make their paychecks possible.
great place to work and grow
Front office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stockbridge, GAJuly 13, 2017
the staff was very easy to work with. I had no problem learning the basics of the job and a great place to grow inside this company you have great benefits, and easy commission
Fun atomosphere
Optician (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 2, 2017
I worked for SVS for many years I've gained a lot of knowledge and made life long friends no company is perfect but i recommend to family and Friends
SVS vision has potential however needs better communication with the management team in the stores.
Store Manager/Optician (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 7, 2016
Likes to communicate only through email. Hard to get answers when you need them. High turnover, went through 5 district managers in 3 and a half years. Worked short staffed most of the time. Did meet some great people. Had a lot of fun with the staff we did have. Great commission on sales for union employees. Great benefits.
Pros
Great commission on sales.
Cons
Communication with upper management
Excellent
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIApril 7, 2016
It was a wonderful place to work, I often miss it. It is a good environment with genuinely good and compassionate managment and coworkers
Started out Great, but down here after a year
HQ Office Staff (Former Employee) –  Mount Clemens, MIOctober 5, 2015
Started out Great, but down here after a year

Politics abound, if you are not in the "in" crowd you are not given the time of day.

Too much involvement from vendors and no backing from management to deal with them. While trying to work with a vendor, was given the statement "well I will just go ask the CEO".

Towards the end was working with someone that was a "VP" that never did a day's worth of real work other than pointing to something and saying "deal with it"
Pros
Small company
Cons
Poor leadership
Great job
Sales (Current Employee) –  Clinton Twp.October 5, 2015
Great job for someone still in high school or looking for something while in college. Great employer and great environment!
SVS Vision Review
HR & Payroll Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mt. Clemens, MISeptember 15, 2015
This is a great place to work from what I have seen so far, except in the HR department. My direct boss doesn't know how to talk to people and doesn't explain very well.
Great Place to work!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOApril 13, 2015
SVS was a great opportunity. It was different the main majority of customers was Union. Working with Ford and GM employees created many friendships. The doctors are top knot-ch. Loved it.
High paced work enviroment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  shelby twp, MISeptember 25, 2014
A typical day at SVS Vision consists of greeting patients, taking phone calls, and checking many different insurances.
Ok place to work.
Optician (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti,MI.January 16, 2014
I've been an optician for more than 20 years. This was the second worst place I have worked. The manager was a good one, but a couple of employees were very territorial. I was fired because one of the employees did not like it because I sold as much product as she did in a very short time. She was close to the manager. Needless to say I was let go after 89 days. One day short of my 90 days probation. I didn't learn any thing I didn't already know. The hardest part of this job was the hostile treatment. The most enjoyable part was I was very close to home.
Pros
One hour lunch. Close to home
Cons
Hostility from some of the coworkers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SVS VISION. Our community is ready to answer.