Swanson Center Employee Reviews

Terrible supervisor
Therapist (Former Employee) –  LaPorte, INFebruary 6, 2018
Supervisor does not provide adequate client care supervision. Discusses own personal life during supervision. Does not have client care at top priority. Supervisor does not behavior in a professional manner in the sense that she bad mouths other agencies to her team. Supervisor is quick to throw others under the bus; not supportive. Bad reputation in town.
Pros
enjoyed coworkers
Cons
old school medical model. Psychiatrist does not have a good reputuation in town
It was a good place to work. I regret that we had to move.
Outpatient Services Manager (Former Employee) –  La Porte, INOctober 8, 2017
I had a good supervisor. Over all it was a well-managed mental health center. I was able to work with individuals, groups, and families and enjoyed working with local school programs. Some of the fellow middle managers had unrealistic and arbitrary rules and expectations.
Pros
Good supervisor, over all well-balanced mental health center
Cons
Several of my fellow managers were too arbitrary rule oriented.
Swanson Center
Clinical Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  LaPorte, INMay 28, 2014
A typical day includes completing clinical assessment and intake session with new client. Create treatment plan with recommended goals, objectives and interventions. Completing required documentation in a thorough, complete and timely fashion requires organization and commitment.
Pros
able to work independently but with support and collaboration available as needed
Cons
a great deal of documentation to complete in a short time span
Productive steady work environment
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Michigan City IndianaApril 8, 2014
Most days I get in early so I can get emails done, check my voicemails and be ready for the clients. On a typical day, I have 10 to 15 clients that I have to meet with, assess their current needs and monitor their progress with treatment. My position at Swanson Center has taught me alot! I've learned to be appreciative of my accomplishments and to not take things in life for granted. I've also learned to not judge people because you never know what that person is really going through. The team I work for and with is group of dedicated indivduals with the same purpose, helping the clients. Communication within the organization is great and everyone is on the same page. The hardest part of my job is the horror stories that you hear and witness the children being exposed to. The most enjoyable part is helping a child and making a difference in their life.
Pros
Helping a client
Cons
Not being able to help all clients
An Amazing experience it changed my life
Juvenile Justice Specialist (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAAugust 22, 2013
I worked with 15 young men directly and indirectly. Mentoring counseling and helping them cope with daily issues and life. I spent everyday encouraging reading and education and also conducting physical activities for the kids on a daily basis. Outside of work hours I mentored and became a big sister to an ample amount of the youths. Hardest parts were dealing with knowing everyone of them where counting on you. The best part was changing lives.
Pros
Being able to do something i Love
Cons
Fights, and security
A place where juveniles come that need direction
Transportation Officer (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAMay 29, 2013
Atypical day is working with the juvenile inmates
I learned that everyone deserves a second chance
management needs to take a course in people skills
I worked with a group of hard working people
The hardest part of the job was trying to adjust to all the daily changes made through management no consistency
The most enjoyable part was helping the inmates acquire new skills
Pros
can't think of any
Cons
days off when possible
Productive and challenging workplace yet fun
Juvenile Justice Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Monroe, LAJune 1, 2012
At Swanson Center for Youth, I monitor boys in the age range from 14-21 who have been adjudicated. A typical work day for me is conducting a group topic about everyday life where the youths discuss his problems, goals, etc. The hardest part of the job for me is to not let my feelings get involved with the youths situation and attitude. It's easy to get attached and also distant because of their behavior. So far, my job has been easy where the youth listen to me and enjoy me being around as an officer.
Provided Case Management Services to youth & families
Intensive Case Manager (Former Employee) –  LaPorte, INMay 6, 2012
Provided Case Management Services to youth & families. Created social and employment skills to the youth.
Pleasant and friendly coworkers
Medical Biller (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INJanuary 2, 2012
A good work experience and environment.Worked as a Contract employee, possibility of being hired didn't transpire.
Pros
very close to home, great coworkers, nice company to work at and for
Cons
didn't get hired in, loss of revenue and difficult computer system