Swedish Medical Center - Seattle, WA Employee Reviews

Room for improvement
Telecom Attendant (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 23, 2019
There is a lot of red tape. No initially the call centers fault with some of the issues going on the call center. There is a lot of miscommunication between departments. Sometimes the call center tends to be the dumping ground for issues. Small rewards when things go right, but too many issues with staffing for such a small call center. Meetings between departments don't seem to resolve much. Management has been trying, but limited on action due to hands being crossed. Night shift and coding calls can be such a headache. Great people to work with. Such little opportunity for growth if you need it.
Slave Mentality "For Profit" Model Workplace
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 18, 2019
You will regret it. Toxic environment for minorities. Atrocious Mgmt practices (petty & retaliatory). Turnover was high. Colleague solidarity minimal.
Pros
Absolutely "none".
Cons
The entire experience.
Patient Care Coordinator II
Patient Care Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 17, 2019
Review Work Queue and check messages (if any) from the night before. Schedule time for patients expecting to have anesthesia with surgery to speak w/ a RN for a Pre-operative conversation over the phone. Assure the openings for the day are filled so the RN’s will have a full schedule for the day. If a patient isn’t transferred in from another department or calling in directly for scheduling, a Work Queue is used to provide detail on patients who have not been contacted.
Pros
Flexible lunch time and not being Micro-Managed
Cons
Minimal Parking
Management/Culture
Sr. Patient Service Representive (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 26, 2019
I very much enjoyed working for Swedish Medical Center. Management goes the distance to ensure you have the tools to complete your job, and has an open door policy to voice concerns.
Pros
Easy location-accessable on bus line
Cons
Food too expensive
Toxic, toxic, toxic
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 9, 2019
Management plays favorites and will accuse you of "retaliation" if you say anything bad about one of their favorites. HR is inattentive and the rules are not equal for all employees. You are literally worked until your body breaks down and then management tries to find a way to get rid of you. If you decide to work for Swedish I would strongly encourage you to document EVERYTHING. Management will "lose" your doctor's notes, your pharmacy license, everything, so never ever give them the hard copy. I regret working for Swedish so much, it is a terribly unhealthy environment. The pay is good though, but honestly not worth it.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Everything, Expect to have at least 1 surgery due to workplace injury, and to take antidepressants and/or anti anxiety meds
You can do better
Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 25, 2019
Stay away.esp.the Ballard Campus. The security/safety mngr is rotten to the core. Upper Management is racist I feel sorry for each patient that makes a mistake and receives care at the Ballard Campus
Pros
Cons
Everyhing
Horrible management. Horrible team/atmosphere/culture.
Endoscopy Technician (Former Employee) –  747 BroadwayJanuary 1, 2019
I never recommend Swedish to anyone I know. The number of complaints they have and grievances for employees within the organization goes into almost a thousand. There have been employees who management actually fired because they were having a difficult time at work KNOWING they had a brain tumor at the time and that it was a result of a medical condition. LUCKILY the employee was the victor! All staff responsible for that ended up losing their jobs and he was given his job back once he was recovered and in remission. For me, I had a horrible experience as well. Gossiping to the fullest and nastiest degree - the endoscopy tech lead is absolutely horrid. Talks about everyone literally all day and if you don't participate they then add you to the list. She's harassed people before asking if they were bulimic, if they vomited their lunch or during breaks or why they were so disgustingly thin. Making fun of other past employees because of their bipolar condition. All of this was TOLERATED and in fact management even engaged in this as well since they were buddies. Disgusting work environment. Taunting and bullying daily. I brought this up and was told I needed to get thicker skin and that their behavior was just the "nature of GI" and I would have to "get used to it". Oh ok...so bullying others should be accepted. Absolutely not.
Pay was good, you pay for parking just like everywhere in Seattle though, great health benefits. The best health insurance I've had at ANY organization with only a 300$ deductible. But sadly, none of that is worth that sort of mistreatment. I filed a
  more... formal complaint through HR and that is literally the biggest waste of time and laugh ever.
Please save yourself the trouble and do not ever work here!!!!!
Pros
Pay.
Cons
Bullying, POOR management, high turn over.
Insurance AR Follow Up (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 17, 2018
If you can stand the management it's fine, but if you are looking for a place to work that inspires you to want to work hard and succeed this may not be your choice of employment.
SMC - Issaquah Campus
Scrub Tech (Former Employee) –  SMC Issaquah WaNovember 9, 2018
I would recommend Swedish to anyone needing healthcare. The doctors are excellent.
I would not recommend the campus for employment. Management does not care about it's staff. All they do care is the bottom line. Many departments are understaffed - and with this last round of layoffs key people were let go.
Managers/supervisors do have their favorites and if you're one, you're protected. So things like leaving without saying anything is permitted - no action taken, blowing up at co-workers and then taking the next day off - no action taken, sabotaging and acts of bullying are allowed to go on again with no action taken.
Pros
excellent health care
Cons
little to no real benifits for staff, favorites being played, bullying etc.
Swedish
IV THERAPY/PICC NURSE (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 5, 2018
Fast paced and challenging working on the IV team and placing PICCs.
The IV team is responsible for many, many tasks...IV starts, CL dressing changes, trouble shooting IVs and PICCs, declots, treating infiltration issues. They respond to any department needing an IV start.
The manager of this team is one of the best I have ever had the pleasure of working with.
Short staffing and many demands could make some days very difficult.
Pros
fast paced, lots of variety
Cons
spread thin for staffing
Cared more about the bottom line than the patient or employee
Ultrasound Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 4, 2018
The environment at SMC was toxic. It felt like upper level management was more concerned with making money and acquiring new locations than did about quality patient care or employee satisfaction.
Circulating Nurse/Operating Room RN (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 20, 2018
Swedish Medical Center offers Perioperative consortium for all nurses who desire to explore operating room field.
Working close with team of surgeons, anesthesiologists, surgical technicians, pre-op and post-op nurses provides an excellent opportunity to broaden nursing experience
Facility Management
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 13, 2018
Facility management at Swedish is really suck and they look for cheap staff . That’s why no any professional engineer there. And they hired people who they know only
It is good place work
Distribution Clerk (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 6, 2018
good place to work, for good paid ,nice people to work, for coworker get alone very much , manager get along with work , benefit are good. paid sick time and vacation time good too
Fun place to work
Medical Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 17, 2018
The management are excellent. I feel that they care for us their employees.We have team work, And I love customers service, I have no plans to leave the company. I'm just looking for a part time job.
experience
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 14, 2018
- Monday through Friday job
-good benefits
-okay-ish medical coverage
-mgmt and staff was always changing
- did not provide any employee team building oppurtunities
- pay was decent
Stressful place to work
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 8, 2018
I have worked at Swedish Medical Center for 15 years and this is the worst I've seen it. Management is awful, along with the staff. Nobody wants to work and management doesn't care.
Pros
healthcare, 401K
A Great Place
Business Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 15, 2018
It is a great place to work. The benefits are great , and the work environment is fun. It is a lot of fun working with my co-workers. I like helping patients resolve their issues with the accounts.
Fun work environment.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 14, 2018
Taking vital signs ▪ Taking Medical histories ▪ Preparing patients for the medical exams ▪ Administering injection and blood draw ▪ Gathering lab specimens ▪ Front desk ▪ Scheduling appointments ▪ Answering phone calls

I learn different work environment because I work as a Medical Assistant float and after I finally find a home at Heart and Vascular, I meet a friendly patient to our office
Pros
There a birthday we have free lunch
Cons
30 mins break we have and every 2 hours we have 15 minutes break
like working job
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJanuary 23, 2018
A typical day work day was working and cleaning hospital, making sure it was safe and healthy for patients. Coming inside the hospital was always and safe for everyone.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swedish Medical Center - Seattle, WA. Our community is ready to answer.