Swift Transportation Employee Reviews

join
Multi account driver (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAJuly 19, 2018
truly a relaxing place to work if you enjoy driving tractor trailers. the management and support teams are amazing and helpful. tons of opportunities to drive local routes.
Its was ok
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAJuly 18, 2018
I liked that it gave me the opportunity to see the whole country an the beauty all around us. however, people you care about so far from you is difficult to bare.
Pros
Seeing the country an paid travel
Cons
Your first year is very little pay
not a good place for over 50 years old person
Swift transportation (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYJuly 18, 2018
the job is for a young person and not married or even a married person that can take his spose with him on his or her trips then you both can travel and see the world and work at same time
Pros
it's hard pace job
Cons
your take of your self
Very enjoyable work.
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 18, 2018
Working for Swift was challenging and rewarding. I thoroughly enjoyed driving and seeing the country. Because of this job I got to see most of the US and Western Canada. Most of the time it was fun. Once in awhile it got old being gone from home so much. Management treated me well and if had been able to stay I would have had opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Freedom, travel, driving.
Cons
Long hours and little home time.
Overall it's not to bad
Technician (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJuly 17, 2018
I've been with swift going on 7yrs I have a family that has extra needs and they have always been understanding when I started I didn't know anything about repairing trucks and trailers it was all new to me and a new career in which I took a pay cut to futher myself and build a career and like I said 7yrs ago a pay cut and now I'm about $0.15 away from my last job money isn't great but I am still here and still hopping to move up some day
Pros
Family values
Cons
Need to recognize what a person is worth and pay accordingly
Loved it!
Scheduler (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJuly 17, 2018
*They truly care about you
*Its a fast paced. But everyone is willing to help you if you are having a situation.
*great pay and benefits plus they is room to grow with in the company
(I recommend Swift!)
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
Sitting for hours
Swift Transportation is a starter company.
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 17, 2018
Swift Transportation, at the Brundidge, Alabama terminal, doesn't wish to retain new employees or old employees either. They wish to feed their driver jobs with rotating drivers who come in and leave so they never pay full price or good money for a quality driver. Trucks are continually wrecked and or damaged. Current Terminal leader makes her own rules and fails to follow Swift Transportation policy as she makes her own rules up as she goes. Even other terminals local to this one pays better than Brundidge does and you work harder to earn your money. It's a place to get your foot in the door but not to stay.
Pros
It's local haul.
Cons
70hr clock every week, 1 day off a week, low pay, no room for advancement, drivers are numbers who come & go, terrible pay @ Brundidge terminal, Current Terminal Leader will make false promises & lie to achieve own goals, not honest at all.
Great place to be if you can get a good dedicated route
Dedicated Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 16, 2018
Would recommend for someone just getting into trucking to get some experience under their belt. Cdl training done through them feels rushed though. Better if you go there after you get your license
Pros
Good dedicated routes
Cons
Bad reputation
Not now
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 16, 2018
I just couldn't click with my driving leader want something to be home daily and good pay and benefits just want a change with home daily and good good pay
Bad
Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 15, 2018
I wouldn't recommend swift to anyone. I had equipment that never worked properly. I never had miles. I had a team that would back us up. Unless you work in the office you're kind of out of luck.
no home work/life balance
CDL TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 13, 2018
I worked 14 hour days 3 to 6 weeks at a time, home for 3 to 4 days then back on the road. Management was under a lot of stress and passed it onto the drivers.
Great place to start, but not the final destination in the industry.
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  Gary, INJuly 12, 2018
Is a great place to start out a trucking career. Will give you alot of verifiable experience and a usually very competent staff for support on and off the road. Consistent and reliable work and never had alot of downtime. Is not a dead end in the trucking world, but this inst the entirety of the spectrum of jobs you can have. Swift does mostly dry van, and refrdigerated, which is pretty typical work. Though if you want any sort of specialized or higher risk/paying set ups, you will have to look elsewhere for them.
Pros
Massive network, great support, competent staff and buisness.
Cons
Doesn't lead very far in career from a trucking standpoint.
just another trucking company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJuly 11, 2018
when Knight and Swift merged started to go down hill. Had 2 level 3 DOT inspections in two weeks of each other passed both but had 1 warning on each and Swift decided to terminate.
Pros
home weekends
Cons
favertism, certain drivers got more miles and longer runs.
Huge company
Class A CDL Driver (Former Employee) –  Morris, ILJuly 10, 2018
This is a place for newbies to start off, & a place where an owner/ op can make a decent living. If you're a new CDL graduate, expect little info/ support, & be safe or find a different career path.
good luck
ECC (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXJuly 10, 2018
Working at Swift there is much to learn, however the more you know the more they take advantage of you.
The only way to advance is to be part of the "in crowd". Go out with the bosses and suck up to them and you will prosper. Be there to do your job and you will get little to no raises and no chances to advance.
Pros
much to learn
Cons
horrilble environment, poor management
mangement problems
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 9, 2018
Great place to work where you can earn good money. Due to issues with certain dispatchers problems arose where my hard work was under appreciated. My two mistakes over shadowed the the great work i accomplished in my time with the company. As for as the job requirements it self i found non demanding and easy if you had the time it requires to commit to the job.
Pros
most expenses paid and great pay
Cons
Mangement
great starter
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  New Boston, MIJuly 9, 2018
Driving a semi truck is a stressful job and working for a big company is at the top of the stress list bad communication low pay and disrespect is a every day thing when your at the bottom of a billion dollar company but if you can take that you could clime to the top.
Could pay better
Driver - Flatbed, Express (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 9, 2018
Generally pretty safety oriented. The pay could be better.

I'm currently on a Las Vegas, NV > Beaver, UT and back express run. Pay is underwhelming. Office communication severely lacking. Equipment generally in good shape.

This particular run is not something you want if you desire good money. Lower end of the pay spectrum in vegas for this kind of work.
Pros
safety oriented, good equipment, flexible time off
Cons
inconsistent schedule, low pay, frequent cancellations
You're just a number here.
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 8, 2018
I enjoyed my job at Swift. Great miles. Long runs. Would go back in a heartbeat. Had a passenger onboard that was difficult. You had to be there. I typed a message I shouldn't have in order to get her off truck. Lost my job in anger. All I said was she has beer on the the truck. Stupid. Lost job. Lost home. Lost everything. Oh well. Stilla good place to work. I could actually refuse loads.
Neat work place huge lack of communication
Local Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Fontana, CAJuly 7, 2018
The job itself is pretty easy. Managed to get into a local account for amazon. Real easy work but the lack of communication from management to drivers is horrible. Which is hurting them in the long run due to drivers leaving from not being told what’s going on and hours being cut.
Pros
Easy work load
Cons
Bad communication, no vacation, no paid holidays, no overtime

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swift Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
1.5

1.6Personal Development

1.8Career Opportunities

1.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight