Swift Transportation
56Below average

Swift Transportation Employee Reviews for Owner Operator Driver

Owner Operator Driver126 reviews
United States126 reviews
Good place to start and be an owner op in the industry. The people there make sure to treat you nicely and with respect and they are the largest carrier in the country.
For the most part Swift taught me everything I need to know it was just basically a steppingstone for me I enjoyed the time I worked there It honestly wasn’t bad
Pros
I enjoyed the time I work there
Cons
They have a very very bad name
you never know what will happen or know what you are doing where your going, cause things can change in a New York minute. Dealing with vendors, drivers and company and spouse can become difficult.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Never know when you'll be home
Best to work team here. Bonus is a farce. Good dedicated accounts. Low OTR pay. You have to fight to get your layover/detention pay. Dispatchers are hit and miss. Promises like good bonuses are pretty much unattainable. They have good equipment however, some of their repairs are bare minimum. There is a culture of favoritism here. Be prepared to call HR if you want to be taken seriously. Home time is good if you're OTR. Just make sure you don't accept any loads going in opposite direction. Some dedicated accounts you can be home every weekend. THEY PAY ZIP CODE TO ZIP CODE MILES
Pros
Good dedicated accounts, decent equipment, hometime ok.
Cons
Unattainable bonuses, favoritism, fight to get layover/detention pay.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Every work experience is unique. Tell us about yours. Rate your employer.
This company doesn't care for any of its employees ,whether your in-house or on the road ,same treatment for all, meaning ,you are just number on a spread sheet and nothing else.
Lease owner operator with swift equipment has been dreadful. I haven't earned a paycheck within two weeks been doing alot of sitting around waiting. Swift lease truck is accumulating bills which swift hasnt given me loads
to cover those bill it doesn't make any since although I understand the slow freight but to hang me out to dry with your equipment is cruel Knowing its impossible to pay the lease if your not providing the loads which keeps me in the negative every week. I hope everybody turn thier lease truck in ASAP.
Great place to work and supportive upper management. Easy work and always have work. Great pay and helped me get a class a cdl. Solid communication with managers.
Bad idea to lease swift equipment its design for drivers to fail BIG! and swift will win BIG!. They will take advantage of drivers much as possible and put them in debt so deep submitting resignation will be your last option. You are thier to pay off swift lease equipment for as little as 1 dollar a mile with 60% deductions coming out of it. Thier is nothing good about it. Dont risk losing time off your life working for free to pay off thier equipment you will never own it save up some money to finance a truck. Swift lease program is ok for someone who owns thier equipment and they dont have to pay swift 2500$ a month to lease thiers.
They don't meet expectations. Promises fall short, you don't get anywhere near the miles or pay they promise. Takes a while for your truck to be put in the shop for scheduled maintenance, even when you remind them a month in advance
Jobs at Swift Transportation
Owner Operator Driver positions
See more jobs
Waste of time, I'm in 54,000 debt because of this company. False promises of longevity and respect, will leave you on the side of the highway broken down for 2 days in 29 degree weather no heat or ac.
Pros
Cons
Name something?
Be positive and you will reach high goals. Gain great knowledge in Transportation and leadership skills.Great Pay for the family.Mostly no touch freight with this Company.
Swift was a great experience all around. From the time I was in school to the time I got my own company truck. I got to see the world. They kept loads coming. When I had break down, i was never down long. The people were very friendly. The only thing I didn't like was that I had to be gone from my family for so long and only had a few day home.
It's a ok company nothing more or less this company works for some drivers not all thats life. If you fall between the cracks of being successful it's the roll of the dice. The pay maybe perfect for some drivers not all. If swift could pay drivers better they probably would or not i cant say. If it doesn't work out for you atleast try everything the company has to offer from flatbed refrigerators dedicated lease if all those dosen't work for you then you must do whats best for your family thats any job cause thats how life works this company is set on how they do things like a stubborn old human they not going to change but make adjustments to make sure business is flowing
Swift Transportation has it's own repair shops and cafeteria at select locations along with it's own fueling facility. Owner/operators & Company drivers can fully utilize all these facilities.
Word of advice. If your leasing a swift truck and it break down the best thing you can do is packup your gear and head home because its over for you. Chances are you dont make enough money to cover repair cost and while its in the shop for how ever long you still gotta make the payments so your best bet is make sure you got away home because your run with swift owner operator division is over. You got a much greater opportunity at Prime UPS FedEx and other companies that respect the nature of the business they want do you dirty like swift will...
1.00$ a mile dosen't spread to far temporary at swift. The cost of upkeepings and operations while earning 1.00$ a mile recalculates at .30 cpm cant run a business like that how can you take care of yourself your just an employee with his own truck. Getting your own authority is the best thing ever. Dont buy swift equipment its over price and ran down.
Days of struggling for freight to make a profit with low rates has been a disaster. Some weeks i dont get paid or maybe clear under 400$. After all my expenses thiers not a chance to earn a profit pulling swift freight. I was told i can only haul swift freight while i lease swift equipment. I started hauling loads off the loading board during the times swift dont give me loads. I really dont care how swift feel about it i have a family to feed. If swift not given you loads find some on the load boards in your area lease drivers only. You paying 2500$ a month on swift lease truck no reason not to find your own loads with better rates you dont have to haul swift low rate loads.
I'm am easy going guy. I've been through some stuff in my life that has taught me to be patient, but jesus you could write a movie about some of the things that have gone wrong. I've been with the company for a couple of months. Yes they have a bad rep. They are better than some.
If it's not the trucks it's the comm system. All of which are effecting my pay. I know there is nothing that can be done but man

Come on
They just ran me hard a different dispatcher every time to much down time they did not care of their driver also the camera and on board give false information
I like working at Swift Trucking Company I was just trying to get my C.D.L. and little experience there for the time I was there the trainer that Coach was great but now I wish I would've kept That Job I just had a Baby at the time and I was Missing my family
Enjoyed working at Swift
Manager was great at giving me long hauls and tons of miles every week.

Became an owner operator for the first time

Was able to travel all lower 48 states while employed there.