Swift Transportation

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

Decent equipment, not much support

Just a nice place to start a life of truck driving. Very big company without much cohesion between the terminals and staff. Just a number unfortunately. Not much money to be made st Swift. Just not set up that way.

Pros

Free washer and dryers

Cons

Too many to list

Try to control you

Get very upset when you turn down load. Not enough home time. Dispatcher will try to control your move when you tell them you don’t want to do something they will threaten your job

They suck any small mistake and you are fired

Run away this company will not care about you ... you are a number and nothing more... run far away... you will not succeed here at any point and if you are from Florida good luck getting home in a hurry.

Pros

Non

Cons

Alot stay away

Don't do it

One of the worst experiences of my life job wise. Eveything they say top to bottom is deception or just lies. Everything from hometime expected pay tuition reimbursement etc. Don't trust these people. I did work for a regional target in johnstown ny which was a tiny ray of light at this company.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Stress, poor hometime, blatant lies, did not reimburse tuition, it goes on and on

Revolving door

Swift transportation only does what benefits Swift Transportation. They settled out of court for $100,000,000.00. They court case is public record. The company was treating empliyees as if they were independent contractors. But if these same drivers used their leased truck for any other purpise than Swift loads, the company did not like that. Also employees who are treated as employees, they promise constant work loads. But what really happens is once you complete a load delivery, if they need to save money, they will keep you waiting days for a delivery load. If you like taking 34 hours off after a 70 hour work week, you will be waiting days for another work load. Basically even if you are a driver mentor, if they need to save money, you will be waiting for days for a work load. Instead of earning 45 to 50 thousand a year, you will earn 16, 000. If your truck breaks down one too many times, you will be waiting days for another work load. And all that time you are waiting, you may be earning minimum wage but not on sleeper time. Even if you are not in the state you live or reside in. Look they find ways to even out the pay so the company makes more and you make less. Night shift is minimal staff. Good luck getting someone on the phone when you need to use your fuel card. Good luck finding a dispatcher properly trained to isuue you fuel with your fuel card at night. Good luck making money when they control when you get a load assignment. You will be spending your money on breakfast lunch and dinner, and laundry and showers. Daily.

Pros

Good training

Cons

You do not control when you get a load assignment, you are not an independent contractor, Swift only does what is right for Swift, good luck getting personal time, its a revolving door

Don't Waste your time unless you are new to trucking

There other opportunities out there where you are not a number and value your the hard work you put in as a driver. They are by far the lowest paid carrier out there and I fell they take advantage of the driver that does not know better.

Pros

Newer Trucks

Cons

Everything Else

Sucked

Verry bad They will not work with you on anything that needs to be worked on and they rack on safety points for no apparent reason. The will screw you on yr pay check, they will tell you that you are going to make around this but only give you half of that!!

On own

Good experience Whereon Saint learning in an ounce of trucking....... Got to see several States East of the Mississippi no New York know Canada is far West as El Paso and California

Cons

Driving tired

Great to start

Gave them 1 year, as far as compensation is concerned I was satisfied. The people on call were useless over half the time. They have some very good personnel operating as DM's and support positions, don't get me wrong, but the lazy ones that just wanna sit and collect a check have them so greatly outnumbered that you tend to forget that there are a lot of good ones. When they kept me running consistent I could net $1000-1200 as a company driver, some weeks even more if it was good but the majority of weeks I'd start off strong and then over the weekend I'd be left sitting or they'd give me a load on Friday that I could be there that day or early Saturday but couldn't drop until Sunday/Monday. For the most part I enjoyed my time there. Would I go back? Yes. Dependant on the job offer and route, any guarantees, etc.

Pros

Decent compensation when running, great equipment, flexible home time, good routes, great benefits, etc.

Cons

Poor planning due to some office personnel (not all) being lazy.

Great people Great benefits

For the most part Swift taught me everything I need to know it was just basically a steppingstone for me I enjoyed the time I worked there It honestly wasn’t bad

Pros

I enjoyed the time I work there

Cons

They have a very very bad name

Jobs at Swift Transportation

Owner Operator Driver positions
See more jobs

They treat people great

Good place to start and be an owner op in the industry. The people there make sure to treat you nicely and with respect and they are the largest carrier in the country.

Never knowing

you never know what will happen or know what you are doing where your going, cause things can change in a New York minute. Dealing with vendors, drivers and company and spouse can become difficult.

Pros

Good Benefits

Cons

Never know when you'll be home

They're alright to get your 1st and 2nd years experience

Best to work team here. Bonus is a farce. Good dedicated accounts. Low OTR pay. You have to fight to get your layover/detention pay. Dispatchers are hit and miss. Promises like good bonuses are pretty much unattainable. They have good equipment however, some of their repairs are bare minimum. There is a culture of favoritism here. Be prepared to call HR if you want to be taken seriously. Home time is good if you're OTR. Just make sure you don't accept any loads going in opposite direction. Some dedicated accounts you can be home every weekend. THEY PAY ZIP CODE TO ZIP CODE MILES

Pros

Good dedicated accounts, decent equipment, hometime ok.

Cons

Unattainable bonuses, favoritism, fight to get layover/detention pay.

Unorganized

This company doesn't care for any of its employees ,whether your in-house or on the road ,same treatment for all, meaning ,you are just number on a spread sheet and nothing else.

Jumping Ship

Lease owner operator with swift equipment has been dreadful. I haven't earned a paycheck within two weeks been doing alot of sitting around waiting. Swift lease truck is accumulating bills which swift hasnt given me loads to cover those bill it doesn't make any since although I understand the slow freight but to hang me out to dry with your equipment is cruel Knowing its impossible to pay the lease if your not providing the loads which keeps me in the negative every week. I hope everybody turn thier lease truck in ASAP.

Solid to work

Great place to work and supportive upper management. Easy work and always have work. Great pay and helped me get a class a cdl. Solid communication with managers.

Swift equipment lease

Bad idea to lease swift equipment its design for drivers to fail BIG! and swift will win BIG!. They will take advantage of drivers much as possible and put them in debt so deep submitting resignation will be your last option. You are thier to pay off swift lease equipment for as little as 1 dollar a mile with 60% deductions coming out of it. Thier is nothing good about it. Dont risk losing time off your life working for free to pay off thier equipment you will never own it save up some money to finance a truck. Swift lease program is ok for someone who owns thier equipment and they dont have to pay swift 2500$ a month to lease thiers.

They will tell you whatever you need to hear to be excited to work for them

They don't meet expectations. Promises fall short, you don't get anywhere near the miles or pay they promise. Takes a while for your truck to be put in the shop for scheduled maintenance, even when you remind them a month in advance

Great company to teach you the bad side of Professional driving

Waste of time, I'm in 54,000 debt because of this company. False promises of longevity and respect, will leave you on the side of the highway broken down for 2 days in 29 degree weather no heat or ac.

Pros

Cons

Name something?

Pay and home time

Be positive and you will reach high goals. Gain great knowledge in Transportation and leadership skills.Great Pay for the family.Mostly no touch freight with this Company.

Great schooling

Swift was a great experience all around. From the time I was in school to the time I got my own company truck. I got to see the world. They kept loads coming. When I had break down, i was never down long. The people were very friendly. The only thing I didn't like was that I had to be gone from my family for so long and only had a few day home.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swift Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1K

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
Top 5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Swift Transportation.
Powered byComparably

Compare Swift Transportation with

Career recommendations for Owner Operator Driver

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more
  • Swift Transportation