Swing Education Employee Reviews

A Great Place to Work
Subsitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CAAugust 27, 2018
Working day-to-day for Swing is great. They've created a great online interface that is easy to use to get jobs on, and one creates one's schedule. Swing's expertise with creating pathways online for substitutes to communicate between themselves was great, and staff was part of online interactions. Swing understand it's good to create incentives, and they did give bonuses at times. There were a variety of public and charter schools to work at and I enjoyed being at the different sites and jobs.

Living in mid 2017 in the Bay Area, the cost of living was high. Swing compensation in 2017 varied for different schools, and was average pay compared to other substitute jobs in the Bay Area.
Pros
Get jobs online, easy interface, communicative staff that usually responds quickly, creative and collaborative staff, variety of schools
Cons
Compensation is so-so. No benefits.
A fair deal
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAAugust 9, 2018
Swing allows independent contractor substitute teachers much latitude in their choice of locations, and the frequency of assignments that are accepted. It's completely up to the substitute to choose the assignments.
Pros
Flexibility to choose assignments per pre-agreed general locations
Cons
Must be quick to reply to phone texts to confirm job offers, Not sure how their computer algorithm chooses which subs to contact.
Great opportunity for me to help the youth in our community.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 6, 2018
Swing is a wonderful platform for anyone desiring to be an educator. I like the online education resources that help me gain more insight into Being an effective teacher as well as effective ways to manage a classroom.
Pros
You get to work with great people who want to make a difference.
Cons
Many schools have kids with behavior issues
Swing is a great company to work for!
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 1, 2018
The staff at swing are very helpful. They respond within 24 hours to any issues or questions I may have. There are numerous amounts of assignments throughout the school year and the pay is great!
Pros
I can work when I want.
Cons
There is not much work during the summer.
Great Opportunity
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 1, 2018
Swing is a great company with great pay and great flexibility.

After working with Swing for nearly three years now, I have found that I really appreciate the flexibility and variation in terms of jobs assignments. For those of us looking to build our experience and network as a consultant with various schools and school districts it is a great chance to build your resume and learn more about your specific skill set and area/need for growth.

It is definitely a great stepping stone for growth in one's career in education!
Pros
Flexible days, great pay
Cons
No benefits, travel reimbursement, consistency
Overall good place
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJuly 31, 2018
Swing is a good company, however some of they schools they work with seem poorly organized. Some sub plans were only two or three sentences long and could in no way prepare someone for a whole school day.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Contractors must take out their own taxes, poorly prepared schools
Great place
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCJuly 31, 2018
I really enjoy working for swing , the only complaint I have is after leaving town for an emergency (father passing away )and having to cancel two jobs last minute i lost my star sub status which by the way was the only time I cancelled in two years of working

(Star sub status you gain after not canceling, being consistent and getting good reviews from schools therefore resulting in first alerts of jobs )

I had no control over loosing My father I wish swing had a better policy around bereavement for its subs because I feel I worked hard to gain start sub status just to loose it over a family emergency ,
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No Benefits
N/a
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAJuly 31, 2018
Nothing else to add...nice company to contract out with. Work for yourself,great experience, something to add to resume. Great as second income if possible, not enough to live on single income. Pay could be greater with benefits. No benefits as a sub could offer more incentives for subs.
It is the Lyft/Uber of Teaching
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  East San Francisco Bay AreaJuly 30, 2018
With all of the same benefits and disadvantages. It is contract work, which meant that I worked when I could and wanted to, and not if I could not or did not want to.

I really enjoyed the opportunity to work at a variety of local schools - and many of them public charter schools.. The administration at the schools where I worked were supportive and responsive to my needs.
Pros
Work when I want to, not when I don't. Pay is competitive as a substitute.
Cons
Substitute teaching can be hard, not having the lasting relationships in each school is a disadvantage.
Good place for subs
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 29, 2018
I like that I can choose my assignments, and when my children got frequently sick at the last minute, swing still worked with me. There are plenty of assignments in my area. Most jobs are at Rocketship charter schools. They pay substitutes more than my local school district.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No paid sick days
Lack of assignments
Substitute teacher (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJuly 28, 2018
I always see the assignment and when I go to check it I find it gone .I hope to have long term assignments nearby. Hopefully Swing spreads this year and I can get jobs nearby.
Fast hiring process
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 27, 2018
Great experience if interested in education/teaching.
Higher paying than other agencies, but you must do your own accounting for TAXES. They don't handle that for you.
Pros
many opportunities
Cons
competitive for job acceptance. still growing so not available everything
Awesome Organization to work for.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 27, 2018
I had some an amazing experience working as a Swing Substitute Teacher.

The onboarding process was seamless and the support from the Swing Team was incredible. For example, when I sent an email to the team, someone responded within 24 hours.

I also loved the incentives, contests & financial assistance for those who wanted to pursue teaching permanently. It's almost unheard of for an organization to pay for the cost of taking the CBEST.

I have bragged about Swing and all that they offer to my family and friends and I'm internally grateful to this amazing Organization.
Well organized company
Excellent Consulting Substitute (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara Country CalifroniaJuly 25, 2018
Swing has a good system. I liked the fact that I got notices ahead of time and that I was compensated for the expenses of getting credentialed.

Swing managers were helpful with suggestions for career and working.

Working for Swing was a good experience. I did recommend it and continue to recommend it to others even though I don't work there any more.

I don't work there anymore because Swing dropped me because of too many negative evaluations.

I wish there were procedures by which POSITIVE comments of students, teachers, and school administrators were recorded and considered instead of just negative ones.
Pros
See above. Organization, responses.
Cons
Responses take too much time.
Good pay, inherently stressful job
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  East Bay, CAJuly 23, 2018
I worked part time and felt that swing was able to provide me with job opportunities when I needed them in addition to my other part time job. Substitute teaching full time at a different school every time is not advisable as it is very stressful to move around so much without ever developing real connections with colleagues or stuedents.
Pros
Flexibility, good pay
Cons
No sense of connection at work, stressful
Workplace with great management.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCJuly 23, 2018
Flexible and nice company to work for. Life balance is achievable because you are on contract. Management is nice and do their best to work with their substitutes teachers and empower them.
Enjoyable Part of Job
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 23, 2018
I worked in a rough neighborhood, at a tough neighborhood middle school. I honestly had no problems with the students, became a Star Sub for that school. I saw myself as a solution, rather than a teacher having problems or issues with their students.
Pros
Students Look For You Daily
Cons
End of day schedule, school should dismiss at 2:45 rather than 3:20
Great place to work if you want your own schedule.
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 23, 2018
If you are subbing choose 4 to 5 schools and stick to them. Make sure that the schools you are working at have lesson plans for you, if not let them know.
Pros
Pay is always on time.
Cons
Sometimes schools can be disorganized.
Good job for a temporary transition...
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 22, 2018
Con's: It does not pay much, less than $20 per hour as an Contractor on 1099. So you will make maybe $12/hr at the end of things. Schools give you grief, especially admin and schools in East San Jose are a joke making you literally work for every penny. So definitely not recommended as an long term gig.

Pro's: Flexible Work, Customer Support is top notch and they are committed to their work and contractors.
Pros
Flexible Time
Cons
Very underpaid for Silicon Valley
I like working with the children and the pay is descent. Do not know who manager is or actual address of employment.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 22, 2018
The pay is descent. However it was very hard to get hours to work. And I didn't know who my manager was or the address to put down as an place of employment.And I never was able to find a list to sign up for jobs. Only the waiting list. And I had a hard time to discuss this with anyone over the phone. Everything is on the internet only and very impersonal. Til this day I do not know any information that I needed.
Pros
Pay is ok
Cons
Very Impersonal, Not enough work hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swing Education. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5