Swing Education
86High
4.4

Swing Education Employee Reviews

United States92 reviews
Working with Swing has been a great experience. The only downfall is their advancement of "Star Subs." This is an initiative to lower cancelations among subs. The more you don't cancel 24 hours before your class starts, the more you works towards becoming a "Star Sub." This status allows you to receive more request for work.

Although I understand why the company has this, if you are sick or something comes up within 24 hours and you cancel, you are quickly taken off the Star Sub list. No exceptions (Although they claim there is). It's already difficult enough to secure work, so when you are taken off it really affects your hours.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Star Subs, Reduction of Hours
I like it. Being able to make your own schedule is one of the best things about working with Swing. Their phone and online platform is great to work with and they are good at respoding when needed.
It’s hard for Swing to understand what’s going on because they aren’t at the school, so there is a bit of a disconnect and miscommunication at times. Most of the time it’s the schools that work with Swing that “Drop the ball” they need people that aren’t hard to reach. People who have actually worked in the field as a substitute.
A good gig, but work for a district instead if you can. Must have phone on you at all times to accept work. Being a sub is rewarding and challenging. :)
Flexible work week and variety are the key to this job. Each day is different and you have the opportunity to make a difference in the day of a student. Schools are always appreciative of the help you give them. Drawbacks of the job include penalties for late cancellation of commitments and lack of adequate parking at charter schools.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
There are plenty of opportunities to sub everyday however an increase in the rate of pay is required to keep people long term. I was awarded the titles of Star Sub and Hero Sub.
Being a substitute is challenging. It is hard to gain respect from some students in just a few hours. Be kind, professional and adaptable. Everything else is out of your control. If you do have a disrespectful or difficult class, DO NOT report it to Swing or school administration (they might retaliate against you), get through the day and never return to that school!

Advice: Work 1 day at several different schools and Districts. You will figure out the best ones (hint: the schools that teach students to be respectful, safe and kind). Only accept jobs at those schools.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, Decent pay for the hours worked, Some schools are great and admin/teachers are helpful and kind, Learn a lot about teaching and classroom management, Rewarding at most schools, If you are a frequent sub, you are able to build good relationships with students and school staff.
Cons
Some schools are awful!, You have no way of knowing how the school will be until you are there, Swing PLEASE implement a rating system so subs know to stay away from BAD schools, Swing does nothing to protect substitutes from verbal & physical abuse from students, Some students can be aggressive/disrespectful, Depending on the school YOU will be labeled as could not handle a class, Swing WILL NOT do anything even if you have good reviews & are a preferred sub at other schools.
Easy to attain preferred sub status though unfortunately easier to lose that status. You are notified when you have a complaint from schools (no matter how unwarranted) their remedy is to revicanned visreviecanned
Pros
Choose your own assignments
Cons
Being dinged for seemingly minor infractions with no recourse.
Being a substitute teacher is hard. Sometimes I don't feel support from some of the school staff. I don't like the 1099 as I have to fund all of the taxes.
This is the best job I have ever had, and I have been working since I was 16. This job is perfect for me because it is flexible. The biggest problem I had teaching, anywhere, was the set times off. I love to travel, but do not like to travel in the summer or two weeks in December. With Swing, I can take a week off in October with no problems. Love it!
Pros
Flexible and Weekly Pay
Cons
Some schools are tough.
I haven't witnessed any bad practices or mismanagement with Swing Education. I'm very comfortable and able to choose flexible work schedule on my own.
Pros
I am able to work comfortably within my schedule.
Cons
I am was able to take my break, lunch and minutes and hour between the classes that would allowed my to prepare for another session.
Highly recommended if you want extra money I just started. I dont have teaching permit but company gave me opportunity to start and so I love substitute teaching
On the whole it is very supportive. The downside is that there could be a misunderstanding which a school may write about, then, schools may not select you due to the negative feedback. However, if a school cancels under 24 hours, you still get paid, which I have not seen anywhere else, making this the best company for subs!
Great company! Very fast and friendly communication and easy to use website. So far out of all places that I've worked Swing Education is the best. The weekly pay is a huge bonus! I'm honestly so glad I found it. Swing has made me love subbing much more and gave me an opportunity to work with many different schools and people in my community.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with an array of different children at different schools. I love being able to have the ability to teach all around the metroplex.
Very flexible working hours and gives you plenty of schools to potentially work at. You can pick your schedule and can work as much or as little as you’d like.
I was able to choose when and where I wanted to work.

When I had a problem or a question it was very easy to get in contact with them. They responded very quickly.
No upward mobility
no stable work

Little appreciation from Swing Edu staff who are never at the schools we are working at so they cannot see our hard work. Often staff accuse us of not doing enough to calm rowdy students. No training is given prior to joining any school. Frequently put in schools where students are high risk and low income and need stable sub teachers, not different subs every week or even every day.
This is a good option if you do not need benefits and want to compensate another part time job or if you need a little extra money on the side. It is 1099 contract. You work independent and in different locations. Unless you take a long term position you will be going to different locations unable to fit in a workplace culture, but great if you like to be independent of headaches issues and office politics.
Working for Swing is a great way to gain experience with children in a school environment or a class setting. I've helped in a few different schools. I learn something new from each experience and enjoy meeting everyone. The staff at the schools are super friendly and helpful. The perfect way to learn how to work with children. Or just make some good money for a few hours of work.
Job challenging as substitute teacher. Impression and image of substitute teaching in schools very poor and discouraging. Substitute teachers sometimes abused by students.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Swing Education. Our community is ready to answer.
4.4