Swiss Re Employee Reviews

Flexible schedule, Zurich bureaucracy
P&C Business Management (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYMarch 6, 2019
If you are on a global team, the bureaucracy from Zurich will make work difficult. Good work/life balance. Used to be a fun place to work but cuts over past few years and minimal raises and lower bonuses have hurt morale
Stable company, ok culture
Vice-President (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 22, 2019
Stable company, ok culture. limited advancement, as head office is in switzerland. not most dynamic. work hours were very good. great benefits and above market pay scale.
Very diverse company!
Actuarial Development Program (ADP) Intern (Former Employee) –  Armonk, NYJanuary 16, 2019
- Good balance between social events and work
- Community service opportunities
- Feedback sessions
- Diversity!
- Proper training
- Networking opportunities with high-level people, including CEO
- Great Office infrastructure and Technology
- Global company
Pros
Interns Lunch & Learn
Cons
Communication before beginning of internship
Data entry position
Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 10, 2019
My position was not typical compared to my prior work experience however they did challenge me with responsibilities that expanded my knowledge of reinsurance claims.
Work life balance needs to be reviewed
Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 30, 2018
I learned a lot while working at this company about all aspects of the insurance industry. Overtime is required to keep up with the demands of the job. The job can include lots of travel. Some of the middle managers were difficult to work with. Pay is good.
Pros
Good Cafeteria, salary, healthcare
It was not fun at all
IT Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 30, 2018
When I was called a monkey and a gorrilla at the job, management did nothing about it. I am glad I do not work there anymore and I do not want a reference from them.
Pros
sccm
Cons
rude and jealous co workers
Upper management wants you to be a robot
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 26, 2018
Upper management wants a specific type of person and if you don’t fit that mold you will not go far. They ask for feedback and then you are penalized for giving it.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Few raises, bad culture
good employer with flexible schedule
Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INOctober 24, 2018
the workplace culture at Swiss Re is very flexible, which i found to be very helpful. Everybody wants to do the job and do it well, and even though there may be differing ideas on how to make that happen, everyone is striving for the same goal.
the hardest part of the job i found to be the time zones - since Swiss Re is an international company, sometimes the job required early morning meetings to connect with colleagues, but the flexible hours made these a little less painful.
the most enjoyable thing about the job was the people i was able to meet and connect with that I wouldn't normally have been able to meet otherwise.
Pros
flexible schedule, well set up infrastructure
Cons
time zones can present challenges
Excellent Company
Senior Vice President (Former Employee) –  Armonk, NYOctober 7, 2018
Swiss Re is an excellent reinsurer who invests in its employees. The company stresses training and has an internal "academy" for employees to utilize.
Pros
subsidized lunchs
Cons
location
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 15, 2018
Swiss Re was an exciting place to work. Learned a lot both from my supervisor and co-worker. The corporate office is in Switzerland so I got to meet many individuals vising us int he U.S.
Productive, supportive and fun workplace
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Westlake Village, CAApril 18, 2018
Swiss Re is an International company and an inspiring place to work !!! I learned many advanced computer skills. In-service seminars with a "Green Environment" policies were provided..
Excellent workplace culture and a supportive management.
Supportive management and coworkers. Excellent benefits .
Swiss Re Life
Help Desk Support (Temp position) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 9, 2018
SwissRe contracts out there IT staff and the staffing company does not give raises and there based in TX and does not really research on current living expenses in IL
Pros
nice staff
Cons
Low pay
Careers, Benefits, Leadership, and Culture
Senior Vice President (Former Employee) –  United States - variousApril 4, 2018
To advance at the company you need to work in one of their primary locations. In the United States that would be Armonk, NY or Schaumburg, IL. Some offices are subject to a location strategy that limits the types of higher level jobs that may be worked from that specific location. On the other hand, if you are able to relocate to one of the main offices there are significant opportunities for advancement.

The company has a vibrant employee friendly policy on teleworking and flexible work arrangements. The company pays well overall, and has a generous benefit package which includes significant time off depending on your role and length of service.

The management/leadership competence is hit and miss.The company promotes Leadership Imperatives, but their demonstration at some of the higher levels of leadership is not apparent.

The corporate culture has changed over the last few years and has become less collegiate as between leaders and sometimes between leaders and their staff. It is still a rather white male dominated leadership group in the United States and in Europe, though the company does promote diversity in the workplace.
Great company poor management
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Armonk, NYJanuary 10, 2018
great company they take care of their employees but the management is very bad. micromanagement is almost policy and americans are treated like second class to zurich employees.
Good company
Senior Operations Accountant (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 7, 2018
Good company, but you can become locked into certain departments. They stress personal and career growth, but often we are too busy. Lots of reorganizations, changes.
Pros
12% 401k match every year and yearly bonuses
Cons
Hard to know what you bonus will be from one year to the next
Great office culture
Travel & Expense Tech (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INDecember 18, 2017
Love working with Swiss Re, if I could relocate with them I would never leave. Work/life balance is incredible. So many days off with early closing prior to national holidays.
Good
Business Services Associate Travel & Expense (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILOctober 31, 2017
Nice place to start career. Insurance background not needed. Very flexible with teaching and letting employees learn different areas of the business.
Working Experience
Data Migration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSOctober 24, 2017
Focused company and your individual experience increases while employed there. I liked working at the company. I suggest 100% to join in this company if anyone asks my suggestion..
Work life
Vice President - Sr. Risk Consultant (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSAugust 16, 2017
Swiss Re has an excellent approach to work/life balance. It is a good company to work for. Most bosses are well trained and flexible. They tend to reorganize their European operation a lot. That is why I'm on the market.
Pros
Travel
Cons
They tend to reorganize a lot - that is why I'm on the market.
Swiss Re
Senior Treaty Accountant, Special Lines Division (Former Employee) –  Armonk, NYAugust 15, 2017
Had many lay offs. Company grow ever fast. Stong managment. Employees come first. Great workplace culture. Gave back to the community. Love working there.
Pros
Work place culture
Cons
Lots of lays off