SWS Environmental Services Employee Reviews

2.9
Ratings breakdown
Rear Load Driver (Former Employee) –  Lantana, FLJune 29, 2018
Sws was a great company till they got bought outi probably would still be with that company if they was still around.. A very understanding environment make sure we al get to spend time with our families every day
Do not work here
Environmental Technician w/cdl (Former Employee) –  Saint Gabriel, LAApril 23, 2018
I worked out of the saint Gabriel,la as an environmental tech II with cdl. If you want to work for someone who belittles you, then this the place for you. The manager has no respect for his employees and treats with no respect. If you ask for help he puts you down. The work isn't steady either.
Very unstable environment
SERVICE CENTER ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  FloridaMarch 16, 2018
There was a lot of nepotism at SWS. It definitely helped if you knew someone high up. After the transition from the original owner to a hired CEO, it went downhill fast. All the corporate people want are profits to pay the shareholders. Equipment failed daily. Incompetent management. They kept people who consistently screwed things up. I wouldn’t recommend working for them.
Benefits
Cons
Job security, poor management
Always working
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Paducah, KYJanuary 18, 2018
I was always on call then it seem like I would come into work and they send all of us techs home cause there was no work for us. After about a month of that they laid some of us off.
Company was in transition, lots of turn over, it was not a good experience or fit
Service Center Administrator (Former Employee) –  Cibolo, TXOctober 5, 2017
The company was going through transition. I was one of 12 administrative staff over a period of a year that did not work out. Just was not a stable environment. Stressful, hostile, inconsistent, lack of structure. Lot of structure and policy lacking
Competitive and professional
Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXSeptember 11, 2017
Sws provided a very safe and productive job site at Lyondell Corpus Christi. Management and supervision were extremely organized. Safety was always number one over any job. All tools and materials were regularly available for task completion.
Pros
Professional Job site
Great Career
CDL Driver/Technician 2 (Former Employee) –  Cibolo, TXJuly 15, 2017
A great job, with potential to move up. Great co workers with a patience to teach. The Best service center manager, and great management, I left the oil field to work for this company.
Good working environment lack of job security
Helper (Former Employee) –  Miami Lakes, FLJuly 10, 2017
Good place to work, very friendly conworkers. Job security was breeches due to the place going out of business! Really enjoyed working there. Typical day depended on the weather and the route
Employee retention not a priority
CDL Driver (Current Employee) –  FloridaJune 14, 2017
Raises are late to non existant.Its not a prioirity to keep workers.Useless workers are kept based on who you are friends with and good workers often leave for better pay.New policy requires you shave every day.You will be sent home if you come in unshaven.People who have been with company for years and have given countless months out the year out of town laid off with no warning.Offices closed to make company look profitable before it is sold.Ciurrent employees not feeling confident in leadership and direction of company.
Pros
Many hours because of being understaffed
Cons
Job insecurity, no raises
Client Driven Work Environment
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Southeast DistrictJune 9, 2017
I enjoyed working with SWS Team to meet and exceed client's expectations while keeping our team members safe. SWS has Service Centers strategically located throughout Texas, Florida and the Mid East
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Lay Offs
Assistant Service Center Manager (Former Employee) –  GAMay 30, 2017
It was a great place to work with great crew until they shut down the office the people in the office and the field were awesome the long hours and the continued training was nice and the upper management was good to work for.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
unstable schedule
Terrible company
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 26, 2017
Skeleton budget, skeleton crew, and when the profits weren't enough for the firm that owns the company, they shut down half their offices and laid off about 100 great people overnight. You cant win for losing, never ever work for SWS!!!
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
Terrible owners make it miserable on a daily basis
Good working environment
Recycling Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLApril 24, 2017
Sws was a good job. great hours and we got payed every week so yea it was good i was separateing trash from all types of wood plastic rocks on a blet had two lunch brakes nmwork from 3am - 12pm monday -friday
over all good place to work, but when we lost contracts,we lost work
Class B Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  OhioFebruary 28, 2017
work @ sws for 20yrs.,but work has slowed, drove class b truck with crew workers,flush clean ,inspect sewer systems, haul sludge,supervise team.Good team members,and company.Lost contracts over years.we get work orders along with details of job to be done, gether supplys,team would talk about how to tackle the job ahead.Go do said job,complete. Also talk to contractors,on what they needed,what was the problem, we as team would take of this.
Pros
benefits, sams card, super owner/boss
Cons
work slow down, winter months hardly any work
It was a good job to work at.
General Maintenance/Driver (Former Employee) –  Theodore, ALOctober 20, 2015
I work hard every day and showed up on time. Then some days was difficult for me, but I pulled thought and kept going. It was a big company so their was not any playing around.
Mysterious projects
Technician ll (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OHMarch 27, 2015
No idea what type of work is available each day unless we have a long term project going on. Even then you can work a twelve hour day and be sent to a different job to work all night. On call 24/7. Also the possibility of being sent out of town for no telling how long.
Have learned some techniques involved with containing and removing different chemicals.
Management is new at my location. They are considering hiring an outside 20 year old to become supervisor, a job which should be held by at least a 30 year old with a minimum of 5 years experience in this field. The job can include working with hazardous, deadly chemicals that a kid 2 years out of high school should not be deciding what actions to take.
Work with some good, hard working co-workers and a pitiful lazy one. They are all quitting before or as soon as the youngster is hired to call the shots.
Hardest part are the scrambled work hours. Three of us were sent out of town to work three, 12 hour nights. Probably took three years off out lives.
Most enjoyable is restoring natural habitat by removing pollutants.
Relaxed, flexible management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJuly 10, 2014
SWS is a great company to work for if you are a family person. Very flexible and understanding.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Pay and Health Benefits
Most unprofessional organization ever.
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta (Mableton)February 24, 2014
I worked out of the Mableton (Atlanta) office for no more than 2 months. My experience was horrible. Within the second week of working there my boss wanted me to alter soil samples and sign a chain of custody form. I had no part in that. First Red Flag. 2 out of the 8 people who work there show up with hangovers or are intoxicated in the mornings on a frequent basis. The service center manger acknowledged this however did not do anything about it. What a major liability! Manager was extremely two-faced and often made negative statements about clients. He even said that a Cracker Barrel waitress would do the trick in lieu of his wife's absence in front of a team of clients at lunch. The benefits are non compatible to fair compensation.
Majority of the staff members are extremely uneducated and uncommitted to the mission of the company. No values or good morale in this company. Oh and one of their workers killed an entire family in a dui accident in a company vehicle. Another employee was killed in an elevator shaft. They don't take safety seriously. Watch your paycheck they will cheat you out of that too.
Pros
Cons
Discretion, ethics, Staff Unprofessional, uneducated, Poor Leadership. Poor decision making. Lacks good benefits.
Depressing
Adminstrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Porte, TXJanuary 14, 2014
I did literally nothing there...and I quote. The office environment was moody and unprofessional. I "worked " there 2 months and a week and a half as a temp. I'm still trying to figure out why they hired me to begin with because they gave me no work. I answered phones and scanned a few things every morning, and every now and then I would file something away. I probably did 10-15 mins worth of work and would sit at an empty desk staring at the walls for the rest of the while everyone in the office worked. I appreciate the opportunity given but I would actually rather do WORK then sit there spinning in a seat. In the first few weeks I worked there, I would ask if there was anything at all I could do and literally search for things to do and they would never give me anything to do...which is why I was so confused as to why they hired me. My boss was super moody, paranoid and bipolar but I ignored her for the most part as she did me.. some days she seemed ok with me, most days I walked in there it seemed like she hated that I kept showing up..she snapped and almost always had an attitude for no legit reason. She and others would talk rudely about other people in the company, then smiled when they saw the person or they called on the phone. Their office was over loaded with work from merging with their sister-office (which is where a lot of her stress came from) and I felt they could have showed me the way they did some things to ease their load but whatever. To top it off I kept going to work 2 days after my contract ended (unbeknownst to me)...my temp agency did not inform me until  more... 2 days after the fact when I got off work, they called and said that someone from the temp agency was supposed to tell me it ended but didn't and that they got an email from ****** basically saying, why was I still showing up at work when my contract was ended?... Well that explained why she was being extra rude the last 2 days I was there when she could have told me instead. I mean come on, I knew it was temporary when it started, why not just tell me it was my last day? Anyways, If you are a salesperson, I suggest you don't even waste your time going in or calling because they are annoyed at your very existence!!  less
Pros
great if you like to do nothing
Cons
do nothing all daya
Interesting work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cibolo, TXAugust 18, 2013
This company cleans up all types of environmental spills and that made it very interesting. However, the amount of dishonesty in the company makes it very difficult for me to exist there. Also it is a very hostile environment. I answer phones, write reports and process payroll on a daily basis.